ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:02 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 am
intheknow247 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm
tothedraw wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:58 pm Interesting commentary about playing time and getting starters out- for SU. Going to be 80 in Cary Sunday. ND and BC are not used to playing in heat, let alone warmth.
If by interesting commentary you mean, WHY IN THE F DID TREANOR LEAVE HER STARTERS IN UNTIL ONLY MINUTES LEFT IN THE BLOW OUT???

This just shows her lack of depth to handle HC duties.
Well, well--someone else questions Treanor's head coaching ability--will wonders never cease...
So you agree with this criticism of KT because she left starters in a blowout game to keep scoring but are perfectly fine with it when it's one of your adopted teams? Just making sure I'm keeping up.
Neither, so your "keeping up" needs work...
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

belleoftheball wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:58 am
ACClaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:03 pm
caged21 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:43 pm
caged21 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 pm
ACClaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:05 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm
njbill wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:22 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:13 pm Where did you see the all tournament team? The All ACC regular season teams were announced on the 23rd. Is that what you’re looking at?
2024 ACC All-Tournament Team
Sydney Scales, Boston College (MVP)
Rachel Clark, Boston College
Shea Dolce, Boston College
Belle Smith, Boston College
Cassidy Weeks, Boston College
Katie Goodale, Syracuse
Kate Mashewske, Syracuse
Emma Ward, Syracuse
Olivia Dooley, Notre Dame
Jackie Wolak, Notre Dame
Kate Galica, Virginia
Morgan Schwab, Virginia

https://theacc.com/news/2024/4/28/bosto ... nship.aspx

Maybe I am mixing this up with some other "all" this or that team, but I've heard of such teams being comprised of a certain number of players from the winner, a certain no. for the finalist, and a certain no. from each semifinalist. I thought the coach picked the players from her/his team. If that is the process here, then AWW picked the players from BC who made the all tourney team.
I believe the ACC commitee makes - chooses the list
No it’s a simple formula ,semi losers get 2, etc. The head coaches pick who makes it from their team. It’s an easy way to see who the coaches pets are. There are offensive players on the list who had more turnovers than points. Honestly the entire list is a head scratcher except the MVP who deserved it .
Is it true that the head coach chooses the players for the list? Surprising but at least it explains the list.

Looking into it further:
"the All-Tournament Team is determined by the coaches. The two semifinal teams each get two representatives, the runner-up gets three and the champion gets five, including the MVP. Each team's coaching staff picks their team's reps for the All-Tourney Team."

from ANDY FLEDDERJOHANN
Assistant Commissioner - Communication
The ACC
Wow. Thanks for the clarification.
Honestly it’s a terrible idea especially that it is widely known the coaches get to choose who from their team get the awards. This years list tells me most of these coaches are clueless or don’t care that the rest of their players know they have pets .
Curious to see who you put on the list? I would definitely switch out a couple but I don't think the list is bad or unfair.

Midfield and D won the Cuse and ND games for BC and both Smith and Weeks are are two way middies who played really well throughout the tournament.

I would put Martello instead of Clark and maybe also switch out Ward for Adamson, but apart from that happy to leave as is.
After watching many of the games I was surprised at the list as there were several standouts such as Martello who clearly deserved it and as an example the UVA selections baffled me , both their selections ended up with more TO's than points, and honestly both made some bad decisions and plays at critical points in their games. You would think at least 1 defender deserved it over those performances.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

tothedraw wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:58 pm Interesting commentary about playing time and getting starters out- for SU. Going to be 80 in Cary Sunday. ND and BC are not used to playing in heat, let alone warmth.
If by interesting commentary you mean, WHY IN THE F DID TREANOR LEAVE HER STARTERS IN UNTIL ONLY MINUTES LEFT IN THE BLOW OUT???

Well, well--someone else questions Treanor's head coaching ability--will wonders never cease...
So you agree with this criticism of KT because she left starters in a blowout game to keep scoring but are perfectly fine with it when it's one of your adopted teams? Just making sure I'm keeping up.
Right? As I’m pretty sure Boston College did the exact same thing to Duke in the quarterfinals.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:05 am

Right? As I’m pretty sure Boston College did the exact same thing to Duke in the quarterfinals.
I would question AWW's decision as well but...she has proven she knows how to have her teams performing come late season (without fizzling out). Most importantly, Cuse girls look slow and worn out, BC girls look hungry and fresh. Two different contexts to consider when subbing those two teams.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:13 pm Where did you see the all tournament team? The All ACC regular season teams were announced on the 23rd. Is that what you’re looking at?
Katie Goodale, Syracuse
Kate Mashewske, Syracuse
Emma Ward, Syracuse
Jackie Wolak, Notre Dame
Kate Galica, Virginia
Morgan Schwab, Virginia

Maybe I am mixing this up with some other "all" this or that team, but I've heard of such teams being comprised of a certain number of players from the winner, a certain no. for the finalist, and a certain no. from each semifinalist. I thought the coach picked the players from her/his team. If that is the process here, then AWW picked the players from BC who made the all tourney team.
No it’s a simple formula ,semi losers get 2, etc. The head coaches pick who makes it from their team. It’s an easy way to see who the coaches pets are. There are offensive players on the list who had more turnovers than points. Honestly the entire list is a head scratcher except the MVP who deserved it .
Is it true that the head coach chooses the players for the list? Surprising but at least it explains the list.

Looking into it further:
"the All-Tournament Team is determined by the coaches. The two semifinal teams each get two representatives, the runner-up gets three and the champion gets five, including the MVP. Each team's coaching staff picks their team's reps for the All-Tourney Team."

from ANDY FLEDDERJOHANN
The ACC
Honestly it’s a terrible idea especially that it is widely known the coaches get to choose who from their team get the awards. This years list tells me most of these coaches are clueless or don’t care that the rest of their players know they have pets .
Curious to see who you put on the list? I would definitely switch out a couple but I don't think the list is bad or unfair.

Midfield and D won the Cuse and ND games for BC and both Smith and Weeks are are two way middies who played really well throughout the tournament.

I would put Martello instead of Clark and maybe also switch out Ward for Adamson, but apart from that happy to leave as is.
Tend to agree. It is tournament award for all games not just the championship game. Go back and watch BC/ND game. BC attackers other than Lopinto in second half did not show up for that game. Midfield and defense were very good and won that game. Lose that game and there is no championship game for BC. Virginia transfer was a surprise. Muliple attackers played better and Martello was the clear spark in championship game. Lopinto and Davis also great in championship game. Also confused by UVA selection. The process is far from perfect. Think for the most part coaches get it right and factor in things other than just scoring that go into winning.
PlayNice

Post by PlayNice »

Katie Goodale, Syracuse
Kate Mashewske, Syracuse
Emma Ward, Syracuse
Jackie Wolak, Notre Dame
Kate Galica, Virginia
Morgan Schwab, Virginia

Looking into it further:

from ANDY FLEDDERJOHANN
The ACC

I agree would switch Clark and Martello especially based on Martello’s performance against Cuse. I would not switch Ward and Adamson. For ACC tournament specifically: Adamson had 7 G, 0 A and 6 TOs - Ward had 8 G, 3 A and 3 TOs. I would keep them where they are.
AllRob

Post by AllRob »

Just wondering: How does Kayla Treanor’s coaching record overall compare to her predecessor Gary Gait? Beyond win-loss record, ACC tournament record, NCAA tournament record, etc.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:55 pm For starters, ONW, you are a fraud. You claim you don’t read my posts, yet you repeatedly comment on them.

Now to the issue at hand. Well, ol’ bean, you really stepped in it this time. Violated your own precept of “read first, post second.”

Here is the initial post you claim to have been referring to:
thedisciple516 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 am Is Syracuse the favorite to win it all after this performance? UVA is no joke and has some very impressive wins this year (ND, BC, JMU).. this was definately Syracuse's best performance of the season. Peaking at the right time? Head coach of SU looking really skinny too hope all is well with the K-Train
Here is your post:
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 pm I don't know who mentioned it earlier but it was a good observation. Kayla Treanor doesn't look well. Noticeably thinner.
516 says KT looks skinny and hopes all is well. She/he did not say she didn't look well. You, on the other hand, said she “doesn’t look well.” 516 did not comment negatively on her appearance. You did. 516 hoped all was well with KT. You expressed no such sentiment. Now, do you see the difference? Does that sink in “at this address”?

But there is a larger issue. We aren't writing on a blank slate here. You are a convicted felon. A recidivist. A while back you posted pictures of female athletes and criticized their appearances. It caused a firestorm on this board. Remember, ol’ bean? It resulted in admin suspending you, sending you to the sin bin. Surely you remember that. You then took your little keyboard and went home. You stopped posting here for six months. I’m sure I’m not the only poster who hoped you were gone for good.

Furthermore, you are a repeat offender with regard to Treanor as has been laid out clearly in recent days on this board. You don’t like her and gleefully level (unfair and inaccurate) criticism of her. And now you comment negatively on her appearance. It’s part of an all too familiar pattern with you.

While we are “picking up the pieces,” there’s more in your history of making disparaging comments about women. Remember that thread you started under your own name? You know, the one that was initially entitled “Thots, ponderings, and such.” On a women’s board, you named a thread “Thots.” I imagine you thought you were being clever. In fact, you were being insulting and vulgar.

And then a few days ago you post a video rubbing salt into the wounds of the Syracuse player who missed a shot in OT. This despite the fact that this poor girl had lost her father shortly before hand. You remember what Joe Welch said? Applies here.

And you wonder why you are considered to be the scourge of this board.
Can we just go back to when he threatened (promised) to only post on his namesake thread?
belleoftheball

Post by belleoftheball »

PlayNice wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:18 am
Katie Goodale, Syracuse
Kate Mashewske, Syracuse
Emma Ward, Syracuse
Jackie Wolak, Notre Dame
Kate Galica, Virginia
Morgan Schwab, Virginia

Looking into it further:

from ANDY FLEDDERJOHANN
The ACC

I agree would switch Clark and Martello especially based on Martello’s performance against Cuse. I would not switch Ward and Adamson. For ACC tournament specifically: Adamson had 7 G, 0 A and 6 TOs - Ward had 8 G, 3 A and 3 TOs. I would keep them where they are.
Fair, I must admit I hadn't looked at the stats, it was pure eye test/ flawed opinion on my part :) Ward is fantastic and you could see she was still in it in the second half against BC. Just have a soft spot for Adamson, a fantastic attacker!
belleoftheball

Post by belleoftheball »

ACClaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:04 am
Katie Goodale, Syracuse
Kate Mashewske, Syracuse
Emma Ward, Syracuse
Jackie Wolak, Notre Dame
Kate Galica, Virginia
Morgan Schwab, Virginia

Looking into it further:

from ANDY FLEDDERJOHANN
The ACC

After watching many of the games I was surprised at the list as there were several standouts such as Martello who clearly deserved it and as an example the UVA selections baffled me , both their selections ended up with more TO's than points, and honestly both made some bad decisions and plays at critical points in their games. You would think at least 1 defender deserved it over those performances.
I would be at a loss to a pick one defender from UVA if I'm honest... Maybe I'm being harsh, I normally always value D over O. They played really poorly against Cuse (it happens!) and weren't that good either against UNA although coaches made the necessary adjustments. Thought Schwab really carried them. Galica got 3 goals against UNC and took the draws.
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

belleoftheball wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:19 am
Katie Goodale, Syracuse
Kate Mashewske, Syracuse
Emma Ward, Syracuse
Jackie Wolak, Notre Dame
Kate Galica, Virginia
Morgan Schwab, Virginia

Looking into it further:

from ANDY FLEDDERJOHANN
The ACC

I would be at a loss to a pick one defender from UVA if I'm honest... Maybe I'm being harsh, I normally always value D over O. They played really poorly against Cuse (it happens!) and weren't that good either against UNA although coaches made the necessary adjustments. Thought Schwab really carried them. Galica got 3 goals against UNC and took the draws.
Not wanting to pick on a player but in the one game they won the player you say carried them played attack for an entire game had 0 goals , 1 assist , 3 turnovers and honestly if you watched the game(which you obviously did not) it was way worse than that , needs to stop with the forced BTB from the 8 meter. Galica had a good game but made some terrible decisions late in the game and I am not a fan of players who tend to force the ball and turn it over again with as many turnovers as points, in the cuse game she did not do well and actually just had negative stats
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:50 am

I would question AWW's decision as well but...she has proven she knows how to have her teams performing come late season (without fizzling out). Most importantly, Cuse girls look slow and worn out, BC girls look hungry and fresh. Two different contexts to consider when subbing those two teams.
Sometime this week maybe tomorrow ACC will come out with Position Players of the year . I’m thinking BC gets a clean sweep:
AOY: Clark
MOY: Smith
DOY: Scales
Goalie : Dolce
Coach : AWW
All BC

If ND had gone further maybe Wolack
My only doubt above would be Smith but I’m thinking they roll all BC
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

IMO your "two different contexts" are the exact same context - the team on the winning side of a blowout leaving their starters in late in the game. Two coaches are making the exact same decision to leave their starters in, and your reasoning that only one of them can be correct just doesn't make any sense to me.

The argument about the energy level of the starters is negligible because the argument for pulling starters in blowouts is to develop your bench, get them some game experience, and injury prevention. Not once in all the complaints on this board about coaches leaving starters in during blowouts has anyone ever said "actually, never mind, this time it was ok this time because the starters had a lot of energy"

As for AWW's proven history, it took her 5 seasons to make it past the NCAA quarterfinals. And did you forget that KT was also a significant part of that history, first as an assistant and then as an associate head coach, contributing to 4 straight championship game appearances and their only title?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Playing 21 year old attackers entire game which for them is about 30 min of movement should not lead to major fatigue. They also get endless breaks for draws, quarters, TO's etc. Same is true for defenders. BC just a faster team and they wore down Cuse attackers with their endless pressure. Same true of ND attackers. BC surprisingly does not play their middies as much until ACC tournament. They play at least 6 middies most of the year and that includes early games vs NW and ND. This time of year they demand much more of 1st line middies. Not sure if it really matters - like I said they are 21 year old exceptional athletes.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:39 pm Playing 21 year old attackers entire game which for them is about 30 min of movement should not lead to major fatigue. They also get endless breaks for draws, quarters, TO's etc. Same is true for defenders. BC just a faster team and they wore down Cuse attackers with their endless pressure. Same true of ND attackers. BC surprisingly does not play their middies as much until ACC tournament. They play at least 6 middies most of the year and that includes early games vs NW and ND. This time of year they demand much more of 1st line middies. Not sure if it really matters - like I said they are 21 year old exceptional athletes.
Personally, I think the issue is more about energy level in regard to effort and not physiological fatigue, but that can definitely happen too during a game.
belleoftheball

Post by belleoftheball »

ACClaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:35 am
belleoftheball wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:19 am
Katie Goodale, Syracuse
Kate Mashewske, Syracuse
Emma Ward, Syracuse
Jackie Wolak, Notre Dame
Kate Galica, Virginia
Morgan Schwab, Virginia

Looking into it further:

from ANDY FLEDDERJOHANN
The ACC

Not wanting to pick on a player but in the one game they won the player you say carried them played attack for an entire game had 0 goals , 1 assist , 3 turnovers and honestly if you watched the game(which you obviously did not) it was way worse than that , needs to stop with the forced BTB from the 8 meter. Galica had a good game but made some terrible decisions late in the game and I am not a fan of players who tend to force the ball and turn it over again with as many turnovers as points, in the cuse game she did not do well and actually just had negative stats
The carried them part referred to the game against 'Cuse. We can just agree to disagree about something that is, in the scheme of things, very minor, and still be polite (I did watch the game).
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:03 pm

Sometime this week maybe tomorrow ACC will come out with Position Players of the year . I’m thinking BC gets a clean sweep:
AOY: Clark
MOY: Smith
DOY: Scales
Goalie : Dolce
Coach : AWW
All BC

If ND had gone further maybe Wolack
My only doubt above would be Smith but I’m thinking they roll all BC
Well I was a little off but mostly right ;)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”