D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:49 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:40 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:30 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:28 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:11 pm I'm thinking Cuse falls to a 6 or a 7 seed now in the NCAA's.. UVA is a dangerous out!

Joe
I think that will be their best game of '22. They'll go back to being themselves from here on. They'll get dragged by the Heels on Sunday and after one or two easy wins in the early rounds of the NCAA, they'll exit quietly. But that's just one fellow's opinion.
Virginia plays BC
Ah! So they did re-seed after the quarters. Same prediction, however.
I don't think they re-seeded, the winner of the BC/Virginia Tech game was always going to play the winner of the Cuse/UVA game
Oh, right, right. Don't mind me--I'm all incombobulated (sic) as a former co-worker used to say.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

I wonder how Ken likes his crow? Does he sauté it, fry it up, boil it? Does he bother to pluck it? As you were…
OuttaNowhereWregget

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:57 am I wonder how Ken likes his crow? Does he sauté it, fry it up, boil it? Does he bother to pluck it? As you were…
Who's Ken?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:37 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:32 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:11 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:15 pm UVA just outplayed them. Plain and simple. They have a good team that is peaking at the right time and it was a must win for them. Hower is just not a good goalie. Sorry but not sorry. And the draw has been an issue for cuse since ET got injured.
How wil. UVA stack up against BC? Any shot they beat them? Obv anything is possible …..but what are odds here ?
No chance. BC plays much better D than Syracuse. Scales will hold Clark in relative check. Taylor will hold McGovern in relative check. Hall will make more than four saves. BC will score. 17-10?
I agree. BC and UVA did play one half of competitive lacrosse early in the season, so I’m just hoping for a decent game. The stakes have also changed for UVA. They’re no longer in a “win to survive” position.
Laxphan - I tend to agree with you, it’s going to be a tall order for UVA to do it twice in a row - especially against a tier 2a team like BC but as they say that’s why they play the games right? It’s all in the committees hands right now and we will just have to wait to see what they decide. I do know one thing though, not many teams who are on the “ bubble” have a signature win against the number three team in the country.

I appreciate the message by the way, I saw it too late to respond but know that it was appreciated.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:07 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:37 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:32 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:11 am
Cagekeeper wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:15 pm UVA just outplayed them. Plain and simple. They have a good team that is peaking at the right time and it was a must win for them. Hower is just not a good goalie. Sorry but not sorry. And the draw has been an issue for cuse since ET got injured.
How wil. UVA stack up against BC? Any shot they beat them? Obv anything is possible …..but what are odds here ?
No chance. BC plays much better D than Syracuse. Scales will hold Clark in relative check. Taylor will hold McGovern in relative check. Hall will make more than four saves. BC will score. 17-10?
I agree. BC and UVA did play one half of competitive lacrosse early in the season, so I’m just hoping for a decent game. The stakes have also changed for UVA. They’re no longer in a “win to survive” position.
Laxphan - I tend to agree with you, it’s going to be a tall order for UVA to do it twice in a row - especially against a tier 2a team like BC but as they say that’s why they play the games right? It’s all in the committees hands right now and we will just have to wait to see what they decide. I do know one thing though, not many teams who are on the “ bubble” have a signature win against the number three team in the country.

I appreciate the message by the way, I saw it too late to respond but know that it was appreciated.
You're most welcome. Those moments are lifetime memories.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:31 am Well I didn't watch the Syracuse - Virginia game; wanted to read instead. I guess I made the right call. Six goals for Clark; what a career she has ahead of her. Congrats to Virginia and UVA/Hoos/Wahoos/Cavs fans.
SC...this was one of the WORST Lax games I have ever watched. I've seen lower scoring games that were better and higher scoring games that were better. THIS?...I can't even begin to explain how ugly it was.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:23 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:31 am Well I didn't watch the Syracuse - Virginia game; wanted to read instead. I guess I made the right call. Six goals for Clark; what a career she has ahead of her. Congrats to Virginia and UVA/Hoos/Wahoos/Cavs fans.
SC...this was one of the WORST Lax games I have ever watched. I've seen lower scoring games that were better and higher scoring games that were better. THIS?...I can't even begin to explain how ugly it was.
Overall I thought UVA played a good game, but I cannot say the same for Syracuse.

Cuse also won the draw battle 23-13, but again, had 14 TOs compared to UVA's 9.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Well thanks Larry. eah, I am not going to the wake and watching this one. Sounds like the Cuse wheels really came off in the third quarter and that the goalkeeping remains a big, big problem.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:52 pm
Overall I thought UVA played a good game, but I cannot say the same for Syracuse.

wlaxphan20...you are a very nice person. You always see the brightside, that's good.
ME?...When I see light, I can acknowledge that. There was so little light last night, I thought it was a Gothic Horror movie! Kind of like the old Dracula movies that came from HAMMER STUDIOS(in England) and starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Therefore, this game was produced by HAMMER.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:30 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:52 pm

wlaxphan20...you are a very nice person. You always see the brightside, that's good.
ME?...When I see light, I can acknowledge that. There was so little light last night, I thought it was a Gothic Horror movie! Kind of like the old Dracula movies that came from HAMMER STUDIOS(in England) and starred Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Therefore, this game was produced by HAMMER.
Lol maybe your eye is just keener than mine
OuttaNowhereWregget

Just finished the entire replay of the Syracuse Virginia game a little while ago. A familiar scene unfolded in the 3rd quarter which was right out of Bizarro World, and all too common for the Orange in postseason games over the last few years. This wasn’t technically a big game for Syracuse. But seeds for the dance were in play.

The yellow cards.

Again this team found a way to self destruct with needless, senseless penalties. Hard crosschecks for no reason at midfield or just over the restraining line. I could see if the fouls were retaliatory, or to prevent the opponent from a critical scoring chance.

Example 1: With the score tied at 11 and about 5 minutes left in the 3rd, sophomore Maddie Baxter crosschecked Barnett to the ground after she had just crossed the restraining line.

Example 2: With Syracuse trailing 13-11 late in the 3rd and Virginia getting control of the ball at midfield, Barnett was again the recipient of a hard crosscheck, this time at the hands of veteran Meaghan Tyrrell. Again, senseless foul for no reason. Just baffling.

More bizarre happenings in the 3rd. A green card on Natalie Smith for playing without her goggles. (What is a player to do in a situation when her goggles fall off?) Nevertheless she was whistled off. Treanor was livid and protested animatedly to the official who made the call.

Less than a minute later, Syracuse players are seen smiling, laughing and mugging for the camera on the sidelines with coach Treanor in the foreground still visibly miffed. The disconnect was… baffling.

To top it all off, as the game wore on into the 4th, some of the Orange players weren’t even wearing identical uniforms. Most wore the all whites while a few had blue skirts.

Add another volume to the Syracuse Weird Tales collection.
laxmommy09

Post by laxmommy09 »

are you the head of the fashion police now?
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxmommy09 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:08 pm are you the head of the fashion police now?
They offered me the position but I turned it down. The pay was lousy.

Seriously though. I have never seen a game, in any sport, when the same team wore different uniform combinations. It just went with the whole bizarre night.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I believe the blue skirts were actually blue long sleeve shirts that were longer than the jerseys
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

user1020 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:28 pm I believe the blue skirts were actually blue long sleeve shirts that were longer than the jerseys
Same, they just weren't tucked in
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:31 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:28 pm I believe the blue skirts were actually blue long sleeve shirts that were longer than the jerseys
Same, they just weren't tucked in
That would explain it.
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

hmmm wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:43 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:45 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:09 am
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:04 pm Need I really remind everyone... in 2015 Syracuse won the ACC tournament as the 6 seed. Took down 3 BC and eventual fellow Final Four contenders 2 Duke and 1 UNC on the way. Without this opportunity, Cuse does not receive the 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, does not gain the confidence that comes from beating three top teams in one weekend, and likely does not make it to championship weekend. And despite 6 regular season losses, once May rolled around, that was a team that belonged at championship weekend.

This is a conference that routinely receives 5-7 playoff bids. The dogfight that is the ACC tournament is actually phenomenal preparation for the first and final weekends of the NCAA tournament. Are there always 1-3 irrelevant teams in the mix? Sure. But given the depth of the conference, IMO this is absolutely not a tournament that should be top-4 only.
You make good points. I have to agree with you--the ACC should be an exception.
Rethinking this after watching the Bucs and Knights battle for playoff spots/positions last night. In the Big 10, as we know, only the top 4 of 7 teams make the Big 10 tournament. I've always believed less playoff spots are better than more, in spite of the odd exception. Makes the regular season games more meaningful. What would we really be missing if marginal regular season teams like Ginny, Ginny Tech, Notre Dame and, ahem, Pitt (no offense to the Panthers--Louisville would have been an equally non-competitive hors d'oeuvre for the Tar Heels) weren't going to be served up as appetizers in the quarters of the ACC? Three of the 4 games we watch today will most likely be blowouts, and maybe 4 if Duke gets back the mojo they had woikin for most of the season. Yes--the ACC is elite, but not that elite that every team should make or have the chance (via the play-in game) to make the ACC tournament.
The flip side to your argument is the other conference you mentioned, the B1G. Only 4 of 7 make the tournament and barring a big upset by Michigan over MD on Saturday there will be a 3 way tie for 4th place and Hopkins will go to the tournament based on goal differential in the games between the 3 tied teams. Is that more fair than the ACC letting everyone play? Michigan is a top 20 team and they won't be able to play for a conference championship. OSU has been ranked quite a bit this season and has an RPI of 23 and beat Michigan. Last year they allowed all 7 teams in the tournamaent due to COVID. The B1G lets all the men's teams play in the conference tourney so why don't they do the same with the women? Granted there is one more women's team. At a minimum the B1G should let 6 teams in and give the top 2 seeds a bye to the semis just like they do with them men.
What a shame that the Big 10 does not include every women's team in their tournament, or at least top six. JHU, Michigan and OSU are all legit bubble teams. The fact that the men have one fewer team in the conference but the women have a smaller tournament looks really bad in my opinion. I remember last year when BTN+ didn't even provide announcers for some women's games until they started getting called out for it. I did not realize it was a different standard for the men's lacrosse. Disappointed to learn that about a Power 5 conference. This year's ACC tournament showed it absolutely should be six teams minimum and I see no issue with all teams participating when the top seed or two get a bye.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:32 am Hall will make more than four saves.
Care to wager?
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:45 am What would we really be missing if marginal regular season teams like Ginny, Ginny Tech, Notre Dame and, ahem, Pitt (no offense to the Panthers--Louisville would have been an equally non-competitive hors d'oeuvre for the Tar Heels) weren't going to be served up as appetizers in the quarters of the ACC? Three of the 4 games we watch today will most likely be blowouts, and maybe 4 if Duke gets back the mojo they had woikin for most of the season. Yes--the ACC is elite, but not that elite that every team should make or have the chance (via the play-in game) to make the ACC tournament.
Yes it is.

And despite the knock that two teams took, yesterday's results were the best possible outcome for the conference as a whole.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Mrs@inthe8m wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:32 pm What a shame that the Big 10 does not include every women's team in their tournament, or at least top six. JHU, Michigan and OSU are all legit bubble teams. The fact that the men have one fewer team in the conference but the women have a smaller tournament looks really bad in my opinion. I remember last year when BTN+ didn't even provide announcers for some women's games until they started getting called out for it. I did not realize it was a different standard for the men's lacrosse. Disappointed to learn that about a Power 5 conference. This year's ACC tournament showed it absolutely should be six teams minimum and I see no issue with all teams participating when the top seed or two get a bye.
Michigan and OSU look decent for at-large bids if you check out the latest Bracketology. JHU took the last spot in the Big 10 Conference tourney.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sse-bubble

OuttaNowhereWregget

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:21 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:45 am What would we really be missing if marginal regular season teams like Ginny, Ginny Tech, Notre Dame and, ahem, Pitt (no offense to the Panthers--Louisville would have been an equally non-competitive hors d'oeuvre for the Tar Heels) weren't going to be served up as appetizers in the quarters of the ACC? Three of the 4 games we watch today will most likely be blowouts, and maybe 4 if Duke gets back the mojo they had woikin for most of the season. Yes--the ACC is elite, but not that elite that every team should make or have the chance (via the play-in game) to make the ACC tournament.
Yes it is.

And despite the knock that two teams took, yesterday's results were the best possible outcome for the conference as a whole.
95%-99% of the time, two of the top four best teams in the conference make it to the ACC final. I haven't done the math or research but that would be my guess. Sure, the quarterfinal upset (I don't consider Duke/Notre Dame an upset) was fun (especially for me, but we'll leave that alone for now) but since the quarterfinal upstarts come back down to earth in the semis, I still say it doesn't warrant having all the teams make the tourney. Plus it's one more game the walking wounded don't have to play and can rest.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”