WCLA Rankings

WCLA Womens Lacrosse
KnightsLax407

Re: WCLA D1 & D2 March 27th Poll

Post by KnightsLax407 »

Can someone post the criteria that the rankings committee uses?
MidwestLaxer

Post by MidwestLaxer »

I am interested in knowing the criteria as well.

Does WCLA use an algorithm or is it strictly votes? I noticed that a lot of the WCLL teams that were previously in are now out of the top 20. Is there a place to see where all the teams rank?

Fanlax computer rankings are different than the WCLA published list...will eventually these lists be in synch?

Thanks

ag
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

The WCLA poll is strictly a vote

Each conference has one person who is designated as their rankings committee member and that person submits a top 20 ranking. These 8 lists are then compiled to get the points per team and the final ranking is then determined by the combined score. 20 pts for a first place vote, 19 for second, etc.
The 2014 Rankings Committee Document is still available online (https://uslacrosse.org/sites/default/fi ... res-d1.pdf) but I don't think any more recent versions are available or are posted anywhere. The person to ask is John Pellino who is the head of the D1 Rankings committee, you can contact him through the WCLA website here (https://www.wcla.club/page/show/1528340 ... committees )

The 8 voters have a conference call every week usually on Sunday or Monday night to justify their votes but are not required to alter their ballot.

I know that in the past (and this year) there has been voters who do not always pay the most attention to what is going on and weird things happen with teams moving or being left off for never openly stated reasons.
It is very simple to be happy, but it is very difficult to be simple. - Tagore
MidwestLaxer

Post by MidwestLaxer »

Thanks hurstlax 39, I appreciate the response.
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

Times like this is definitely when I miss the old LaxPower power rankings because I feel like the poll used to mirror that pretty closely as everyone went there and understood it. I am not even sure that all of the WCLA rankings people know about this forum site let alone that there is another computer model posted here.

For me the biggest questions I have with the current poll are:

1) How is Duke still ranked at 14? They have wins over #20 Maryland and #13 Texas. Yes they have close losses to VaTech, Utah, and Colorado but they are losses and also a loss to unranked JMU
Texas only has a "good loss" against BYU and a loss against Duke but they will have a chance this weekend with games against Utah and Northeastern to prove themselves.
2) If the committee is counting "good losses" then why aren't UCF and Notre Dame getting the benefit also?
3) I'm glad that BC will get some games this weekend to allow them to be compared nationally and hope that it will also elevate Northeastern
Virginia is another team that I am interested in seeing what their results are this weekend.

I think something that Midwest was getting at is interesting to note in looking at the distribution of teams ranked for each conference and the respective strength of conferences.
MAWLL (6/10), NEWLL (2/6), RMWLL (3/4), NWWLL (0/5), SWLL (1/15), TWLL (1/6), WCLL (2/19), WWLL (5/13)
MAWLL used to always beat up on each other throughout the season and their rankings suffered in the past because of it but now pollsters seem to be giving them the benefit. The WCLL being so big a lot of the teams outside the top few don't play a lot of games outside their conference and so maybe are getting overlooked in the national sense. WWLL gets the benefit of people wanting to travel to California in the early season and because they are mostly done with their seasons by the time that other teams are just starting so maybe they benefit early in the rankings. I think that the TWLL and SWLL have been dominated by a single team for a long time that nationally people may not know the other teams as well also.

Polls are so difficult, especially with a club organization as everything is based off of what stats and reports you can get teams to actually report and people also tend to vote based on prior knowledge and past success in combination with current play since there is no way for people to actually watch or get game reports of every game that might matter.
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

From scores it seems like some good games in CO so far already!

2 nice wins by BYU and a tight Michigan vs Georgia game.
Excited to hear about the games and see all the scores come rolling in.
Monlax91

Post by Monlax91 »

Michigan vs BYU 5-3
Monlax91

Post by Monlax91 »

Michigan vs CSU 13-5
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

Great wins for Michigan this weekend! Seems like their defense is shutting people down ...

Shouldn't really be much any movement at the top of the polls.

UVa will probably move up a few spots
Depending on how Notheastern did in the rest of their games they should move up based on the W over Texas
Monlax91

Post by Monlax91 »

Michigan vs CU 8-7 OT
KnightsLax407

Post by KnightsLax407 »

Thank you!!! very Helpful
hurstlax 39 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 pm The WCLA poll is strictly a vote

Each conference has one person who is designated as their rankings committee member and that person submits a top 20 ranking. These 8 lists are then compiled to get the points per team and the final ranking is then determined by the combined score. 20 pts for a first place vote, 19 for second, etc.
The 2014 Rankings Committee Document is still available online (https://uslacrosse.org/sites/default/fi ... res-d1.pdf) but I don't think any more recent versions are available or are posted anywhere. The person to ask is John Pellino who is the head of the D1 Rankings committee, you can contact him through the WCLA website here (https://www.wcla.club/page/show/1528340 ... committees )

The 8 voters have a conference call every week usually on Sunday or Monday night to justify their votes but are not required to alter their ballot.

I know that in the past (and this year) there has been voters who do not always pay the most attention to what is going on and weird things happen with teams moving or being left off for never openly stated reasons.
hurstlax 39

Post by hurstlax 39 »

Recap of a busy weekend in the WCLA

Top 20 teams that did not play this weekend:
Pitt, Cal Poly, UCLA, Virginia Tech, Santa Clara, UNC, Duke, Cal Berkeley

Top 20 teams with games
SDSU 2-0 - beat USD during the week and looks like a forfeit win against St. Mary's
Michigan 4-0 - beat Georgia by 3, BYU by 2, Colorado by 1 in 3OT, Colorado State
BYU 3-1 - Beat UVA by 2, Georgia by 4, Boston College by 5, Lost to Michigan by 2
Georgia 2-2 - Beat Colorado by 1, Colorado State, Lost to BYU by 4, Michigan by 3
Delaware 1-0 - Beat Towson
Utah 0-4 - Lost to Texas by 1, BC by 5, Northeastern by 3, Colorado by 3
Texas 2-2 - Beat Utah by 1, Clemson, Lost to Colorado by 4, Northeastern by 1
Colorado 2-2 - Beat Texas by 4, Utah by 3, Lost to Georgia by 1, Michigan by 1
Northeastern 4-0 - Beat UConn, Clemson, Utah by 3, Texas by 1
Boston College 1-2 - Beat Clemson, Lost to UVA by 4, BYU by 5
Virginia 3-1 - Beat Colorado State, BC by 4, UConn, Lost to BYU by 2
Maryland 2-0 - Beat Georgetown, Westchester

Near Top 20 Teams with games
UCF 2-0 - beat Florida, Texas A&M
Notre Dame 1-0 - beat Michigan State
MidwestLaxer

Re: WCLA Computer Rankings

Post by MidwestLaxer »

How often do you run these? I would like to see what the weekend did to the rankings.

Thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Should come out tomorrow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This was an eventful weekend. Michigan beat BYU and U. of Colorado, Grand Valley State beat Oakland U., Loyola (MD) beat Salisbury, Georgia beat U. of Colorado, and BYU beat Georgia. Computer Rankings (Apr 2).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MidwestLaxer wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:58 amFanlax computer rankings are different than the WCLA published list...will eventually these lists be in synch?
Two totally different entities.
MidwestLaxer

Post by MidwestLaxer »

Thanks.

I am shocked that Oakland is ranked 4th (Previously tied for 6th with GVSU), yet GVSU beat Oakland last weekend.

Interesting to say the least. I'll be interested in seeing how the model holds up after it's had a couple durations to smooth the data.
MidwestLaxer

Post by MidwestLaxer »

I know they are two different entities...but I think in the past lax power influenced some of the voting...

thanks again for all you are doing. I appreciate it tremendously.
MidwestLaxer

Post by MidwestLaxer »

I know they are two different entities...but I think in the past lax power influenced some of the voting...

thanks again for all you are doing. I appreciate it tremendously.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see the problem. GVSU is being punished for their loss to Michigan State and... MSU is a D1 team and being treated as a D2 team. i.e. Losing to a D1 770 Point team is very different than losing to a 770 D2 team. In the former, you should lose hardly any Points. In the latter, as proven by this case, you lose over 50. Bottomline, thank you. Will re-post the updated Rankings...

Return to “WCLA WOMENS LACROSSE”