2018:
Pool A (AQ) - 25
Pool B - 2
Pool C - 9

2019:
Pool A (AQ) - 27
Pool B - 1
Pool C - 8

Can someone (D-III) explain the changes between the pools from 2018 to 2019?

2018 Pool C bids (9):
Centennial - GB
CAC - York and CNU
ODAC - W&L and Roanoke
NCAC - OWU
Liberty - Ithaca
NESCAC - Amherst, Wesleyan

D-III mentioned in the Centennial thread that Cabrini will likely be the one Pool B bid based on the season to date.

Will be fun to project the 8 Pool C bids this year! One less bid in an already massively competitive arena!
SixBySix

Re: Pool B and Pool C

Post by SixBySix »

I will lay significant odds against the ODAC getting two Pool C bids.

The only possible way the NCAC gets a Pool C is if Denison doesn't take the AQ--and even that's not a lock. OWU is not in the conversation.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:35 pm I will lay significant odds against the ODAC getting two Pool C bids.

The only possible way the NCAC gets a Pool C is if Denison doesn't take the AQ--and even that's not a lock. OWU is not in the conversation.
i don’t think they will get one , out of conference record is abysmal. No pool C from NCAC, Denison will run away with the AQ
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

Six,

I would agree with you. As of right now, ODAC/NCAC may not get any bids in Pool C. My bias (Centennial) may only get one. The CAC may only get one (York/Salisbury). All depends on who wins the AQ.

How many Pool C bids will the NESCAC and Liberty get? 6?
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

SOS is always a determining factor.
If LYN both beat NOKE and HSC in Regular season play and meet in ODAC finals I suspect the runner up gets invited..
York/sal. In same boat.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Pool C:
NESCAC gets 2 (probably deserve 3 or 4)
CAC, Liberty, ODAC and Centennial get one each.
That leaves 2 spots left...
Does NESCAC get a third?
Or which two of the other conferences get a second Pool C spot?
A five-loss team will not make it. A four-loss team will have a tough time.
Strength of schedule is important but eventually, you have to win some games...
richard

Post by richard »

At this point Middleburys win over Dickinson shifts sos north. NESCAC will eat their young as will Centennial and ODAC. Liberty usually plays out pretty much as expected. SOS is going to be the big player as will regional rankings which last year were a real mess. Hopefully the powers that be will put in more thought to regional rankings. Expect the worst is what I have found to be the case most years.
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

Interesting discussion this early, but let’s take a look. Pool bids are always dicey at Tournament time, but OOC schedules are usually the prime determinant. As it pertains to the LL, Ithaca’s OT win over St. Lawrence yesterday will play a huge factor. If the Bomber’s hold serve through the LL playoffs, their OOC schedule is somewhat better than St. Lawrence, but not by much. St. Lawrence would have to win the LL AQ in order to get in the NCAA’s. Their OOC is abysmal with four SUNYAC schools. Even when they venture into the turbulent waters of the NESCAC, they pick on lower tier Bowdoin. Given the excellent OOC schedules of so many teams this year, fostered by the increased number of teams in the Mustang Classic, the committee is going to have their work cut out for them, especially if we see some upsets in the conference championships. From what I’ve seen so far, the NESCAC is head and shoulders above any other conference and should get the AQ plus at least two pool bids. Even beating up on each other doesn’t change the fact that their top three or four could compete with anyone. The LL better pick up their game down the stretch or they might be pressed to get one pool bid. I haven’t watched enough games outside the top 20 teams to make a reasoned guess on how the other conferences will fare in pool C, but the Empire 8 and the SUNYAC appear to be down this year. York, Cabrini and Stevens have really put together nice OOC schedules (probably have missed someone else, sorry) and Denison appears to be the only option out west. Some great Lax is being played in D3 this year and i’ve noticed a marked improvement in many of the teams that RIT has played so far. Kids coming east from all over the country to help build a more competitive balance throughout. Guess we’ll have to wait till May to see how the pool discussion plays out.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

NASCAC certainly best conference likely deserving of 3
Balance North and south a factor since NCAA won’t spend the $ to send teams to far a distance to south bracket (maybe 1 flight)?

LYN and W&L already have 4 losses each (combined 5 losses by 1 goal) All to top teams. Both teams SOS are excellent!
LYN losses: 2 goals to Sal. 1 goal to York and Wes
3 gials to Cabrini, before injuries..😳)

If these 2 split Conference match up and ODAC championship game then 1 will be a 5 loss team (assuming they win out). Will ODAC still get an at large bid?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I really don’t think anyone gets out of the ODAC alive, AQ or bust. Too many one goal losses by both W&L and Lynchburg. Win the AQ punch your ticket
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

Still, too early predictions but let's give it a go:

AQ:
Centennial - Gettysburg
NESCAC - Amherst
CAC - York
Liberty - RIT
ODAC - Lynchburg
NCAC - Denison

Pool B - Cabrini

Pool C: 8 bids
Centennial - F&M
CAC - Salisbury
ODAC - W&L
Liberty - Union, SLU
NESCAC - Tufts, Wesleyan, Williams or Bates

I'm sure DIII can clarify if this is even possible with the North v South balance but this is who I think deserves to go at moment.

About to hit the pointy end of the season!! Can't wait!
richard

Post by richard »

Ursinus?

St John Fisher crappy schedule did them in but if they win E8 then Stevens is in the picture. That is not a real big if either.
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

My thinking is that the Centennial final will be GB vs F&M and that the Centennial will only get one Pool C.

So likely one of GB, F&M or Ursinus miss out.
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

Richard,

Yes - the big assumption is that no favored AQ lose like Stevens or Denison!
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

tdaussie wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:14 pm My thinking is that the Centennial final will be GB vs F&M and that the Centennial will only get one Pool C.

So likely one of GB, F&M or Ursinus miss out.
I agree...would not be totally surprised if the Centennial gets only the AQ.
GO BULLETS!
richard

Post by richard »

tdaussie wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm Richard,

Yes - the big assumption is that no favored AQ lose like Stevens or Denison!
Stevens and Denison are probably the only teams at risk of loosing AQ yet still would have a shot at pool c. Cortland would also but there is not a real threat in conference to win AQ.
richard

Post by richard »

Haverford is killing other teams hopes and dreams in the Centennial.
LaxForNow

Post by LaxForNow »

tdaussie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm 2018:
Pool A (AQ) - 25
Pool B - 2
Pool C - 9

2019:
Pool A (AQ) - 27
Pool B - 1
Pool C - 8

Can someone (D-III) explain the changes between the pools from 2018 to 2019?
The number of schools not affiliated with any conference or a conference without an AQ dropped due to the number of schools moving to AQ
1 new conference (College of Conferences of Illinois and Wisconsin with 7 teams)
2 conferences with a total of 13 teams (Heartland and Presidents) replacing Ohio River that had 8 teams.

The total number of teams invited stayed at 36 so there had to be reduction in Poll B and Pool C. Pool B is based upon the ratio of teams not in an AQ conference (14) to the total number of qualifying teams (241). Once you have the Pool B set the balance of the spots become pool C.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Here Inside Lacrosse stab at the D3 Bracket:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... look/54369
richard

Post by richard »

Bates???????

NESCAC bias for sure. There is no way in he double toothpicks they belong in the conversation.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”