We aint doin' so good in the rat race

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Trinity

Re: We aint doin' so good in the rat race

Post by Trinity »

Five kids, HooDat? Much respect. Two nearly broke me.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:06 am
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:58 am...where family and security is much higher on the priority list.
MONEY!

How did the priority list get so effed up??

Seems that is THE issue....how folks prioritize what's important.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, but some very costly things are put high your priority list whether you like it or not. Game changers too.
Health insurance...good luck if you need costly meds on top of that too. Type 1 diabetics can't live without insulin so Big Pharma rapes 'em on that (just one example).
Bought your house in the 60s? All paid for 'cept for the property taxes which are much higher than your mortgage pmt was (here in NY anyway).
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:02 pm Five kids, HooDat? Much respect. Two nearly broke me.
Hoo could be my doppelganger. I too have 5 kids, 2 out of college, 2 in college, and 1 that didn't go (although he may still after he gets back in the country). Four played or are playing lax in college various levels (and 2 each boy and girl).

I plan on working to 75, but will have to decide if that is possible when I get there. :shock:
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
old salt

Post by old salt »

Don't need to move to Finland. You can move to the midwest (like the StL 'burbs), live for 1/2 as much, & still have all the amenities.

Your kids can even play lax there now, while you watch your favorite E coast teams on the web.
richard

Post by richard »

Working to 75 is not fun. All the bumps and bruises from lacrosse, basketball and everything else you did as a kid come back at you in abundance. Sometimes I just want to stay in bed to avoid the pain of getting up.
But having chosen to educate my 4 there is not much in the bank to get me to 88. My FIL ran out of $$ at 80 saying he never expected to live that long so he had 8 years living off his army pension and SS. The retirement home took all that and he died broke.
I think my kids are better off than that. And hopefully they take my advice to do work that makes you happy for a lifetime and maybe or maybe not makes you $$. Or make plenty of $$ early and then use that to do something that makes you happy.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm Don't need to move to Finland. You can move to the midwest (like the StL 'burbs), live for 1/2 as much, & still have all the amenities.

Your kids can even play lax there now, while you watch your favorite E coast teams on the web.
yep

and as for this:
a fan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:50 am Alright. You're my new hero. How in the hell did you raise five kids?
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:02 pm Five kids, HooDat? Much respect. Two nearly broke me.
I keep folks like afan in business and drive crappy cars.... :lol:

in all seriousness - I finally got my hands on a bottle of Leopold Brothers Small Batch -- good stuff!!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I hear ya on the crappy cars.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 am
Partanen, who returned to Finland with her American husband and year-old daughter in search of a “more sane” family life, said their time in the U.S. was defined by anxiety. “It takes immense energy to find the right day care, find the right school, find the right doctor, then figure out the right insurance plan and how you’re going to pay for everything, as it’s so expensive.
Don't blame her one bit, think there's a ton of truth in this article. Am glad to be on the down side of life in the good ol' USofA. Wouldn't trade my time for the future for all the tea in China.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/why-peop ... 17891.html
I fear for my/or kids and grand kids.The one and only comment I remember coming the lips of President Carter resonates: "The next generation may be the first generation in American history that WON"T HAVE IT BETTER that their parents".

Eerily prophetic!
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

wahoomurf wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:20 pm
Partanen, who returned to Finland with her American husband and year-old daughter in search of a “more sane” family life, said their time in the U.S. was defined by anxiety. “It takes immense energy to find the right day care, find the right school, find the right doctor, then figure out the right insurance plan and how you’re going to pay for everything, as it’s so expensive.
Don't blame her one bit, think there's a ton of truth in this article. Am glad to be on the down side of life in the good ol' USofA. Wouldn't trade my time for the future for all the tea in China.
I fear for my/or kids and grand kids.The one and only comment I remember coming the lips of President Carter resonates: "The next generation may be the first generation in American history that WON"T HAVE IT BETTER that their parents".

Eerily prophetic!
That is prophetic. I would venture that the vast majority of "this generation" has it substantially better then their respective "previous generation".

The rich in America are getting more of the benefits then the 99%....hard to keep pushing the bar higher for everyone when some get way way more of the benefits.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I fear for my/our kids and grand kids.The one and only comment I remember coming the lips of President Carter resonates: "The next generation may be the first generation in American history that WON"T HAVE IT BETTER that their parents".

Eerily prophetic!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:39 pm
I fear for my/our kids and grand kids.The one and only comment I remember coming the lips of President Carter resonates: "The next generation may be the first generation in American history that WON"T HAVE IT BETTER that their parents".

Eerily prophetic!
That is prophetic. I would venture that the vast majority of "this generation" has it substantially better then their respective "previous generation".

The rich in America are getting more of the benefits then the 99%....hard to keep pushing the bar higher for everyone when some get way way more of the benefits.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:11 pm I hear ya on the crappy cars.
The last new car I bought was my '69 Vette, via a Midshipman car committee mass buy for $4369, with a $3k interest free loan from a bank in KN offered to all Mids. Had it not been stolen, I'd probably still be driving it.

Can't beat CarMax, at least 3 yrs old with 30k miles or less.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:11 pm I hear ya on the crappy cars.
The last new car I bought was my '69 Vette, via a Midshipman car committee mass buy for $4369, with a $3k interest free loan from a bank in KN offered to all Mids. Had it not been stolen, I'd probably still be driving it.

Can't beat CarMax, at least 3 yrs old with 30k miles or less.
That’s a good strategy. I get very little marginal utility out of a car. 30k Miles is nothing. My last two cars had over 225k miles and were never a problem. I spent my early life around the auto industry. Cars have never really interested me. I do remember driving a new ‘85 Vette to the general manager’s house that ran the auto plant I interned at in college. The power was a rush. A friend in France actually bought a 10-15 year old Vette. She said it’s dangerous to drive but they like it.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Finland as a lifestyle example I’d good, but I have a few experiences to share.

I live across the river from Ontario. A quick trip there is a visit to normalville. Nice people, seemingly comfortable lifestyle. They pay more for things (which explains why there are so many Ontario license plates seen at local malls), but seem to do well. Canada has turned multicultural very quickly with no noticeable issues by me.

Here are some examples of of Euro lifestyles I experienced in one of my many trips to visit vignerons.

In 2002 I flew to Paris and rented a car with a first visit to nearby Champagne. I met with Alain Brugnon, proprietor of his Champagne label M Brugnon in the village of Ecueil in the Montagne de Reims. Alain is a Recoltant/Manipulant. This means he grows his owns grapes and makes his own wine. These kinds of Champanes are the hot ticket amongst wine buyers and enthusiasts and varies from the big houses that buy most or all their grapes for a house style like Cliquot.

After touring his vineyards and examining his production facilities all on the grounds of his home, he invited me in his home for lunch. Some grilled lamb chops and a garden salad from his own garden and red Bordeaux that he barters with his own wines. Most small producers like him make about 10,000 cases of Champagne annually vs 500,000 or more by the big houses. He sells to various restaurants and boutique stores, but a lot is sold to people who come to visit based on reputation. People driving from various European countries. He could clearly sell more if he wanted. His answer was memorable. He said “I live well, I eat well I have all I want. Why would I want to make more?

On the same trip I spent a night in Bernkastel, DE on the Mosel river. The enchanting town built of timber and slate is busy during the day as pensioners take river tours on barges then hang out before heading home. During the evening I popped into a small taverna. I had already seen several ads and knew how to “Bitter ein Bit” or one Bitburger please. Moments had passed and I hadn’t been served my beer. I was wondering what I had done wrong. Then I finally realized that it takes longer than used to properly pour their draft beer. I was guilty of impatience. I stayed for a couple hours and watched as the taverna slowly filled up with locals enjoying good beer and conversation. Like virtually everyplace I’ve been to in Europe there is no TV. People go out to eat and drink in a leisurely manner and have a good time. It was funny when two men pulled me into their conversation for several minutes. Eventually, I had to confess I didn’t speak German. It was a good laugh by all.

On another trip to Spain I was I was visiting vignerons in the Ribera del Duero in the heart of Castilla y Leon, itself the heart of Spain. It is a place where one see caballeros on horseback hunting rabbits on it’s high plains. Myself and a friend I was traveling with were to stay with the mayor of a small town. The majors youngest son had lived with my companions family as a high school exchange student. The mayor couldn’t have made much of a salary and his wife didn’t work, but they lived in a very pleasant and simple home. Before the home cooked dinner, we walked with Mayor Rodriguez to get some essentials. All within two minutes of their home were a cheesemaker where we got a whole wheel of Manchego, a baker where we got some fresh baguettes and a wine producer to pick up some white Rueda wine. We sat for hours and finished with a local digestivo and cigars. There is no allure of a big city there, but the town makes for a peaceful walk at night under the stars and a modest walk to an ajoing town offers excellent tapas and more. For the big city environment Valladolid is about 30 minutes away.

A sweet life indeed.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Thanks for the lovely pictures.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 pm He could clearly sell more if he wanted. His answer was memorable. He said “I live well, I eat well I have all I want. Why would I want to make more?
My brother and I have arrived at this place after 25 years of work, and a whole lot of luck. Chasing after increased volume for the sake of volume is very American. But you always sacrifice---among other not so nice things----- margin for sales.

Check your PM's when you have a moment. Lovely stories, thank you for sharing.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 pm His answer was memorable. He said “I live well, I eat well I have all I want. Why would I want to make more?
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 pm there is no TV. People go out to eat and drink in a leisurely manner and have a good time.
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 pm There is no allure of a big city there, but the town makes for a peaceful walk at night under the stars and a modest walk to an ajoing town offers excellent tapas and more. For the big city environment Valladolid is about 30 minutes away.

A sweet life indeed.
sweet indeed.

Your sharing of those stories is wonderful - and delivers the message I was trying to deliver so much more eloquently and clearly. In the US people make a lot of "choices" to participate in the rat race. Folks have been conned into thinking it will pay off when they become the next billionaire or rock star or social media influencer :? .

We flock to the cities because the corporations demand it - Wal-Mart and Amazon are decimating small town and city job prospects and our media and schools tell our children that they must go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to get an education that prepares them for a cube-jockey job that won't pay out the cost of college with any kind of positive return....

Walk-able neighborhoods in Smaller cities, surrounded by extremely small towns. All with locally owned businesses ultimately lead to a much higher quality of life. But you have to be willing to forgo the latest car on lease, the 100" flat screen, a 5,000sf house full of cheap Chinese plastic crap, and always having the absolute latest iphone....

a fan

Post by a fan »

I have to add though, fellas-----those guys he mentioned that are enjoying the sweet life have their health care and education totally paid for.....

Don't leave that "little" detail out. They didn't have to save money for that. We do.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

good point.

and you can count me in the group that says one of the duties society owes to its fellow citizens is taking care of them when they are sick or injured.

Return to “POLITICS”