WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Penn at Yale Sunday afternoon on ESPNU

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Anyone catch this game? The broadcast production was top shelf. Everything was chef's kiss great from the field mics to the camerawork, multiple angles, replays, shot clock display--the works. Thoughts on Charlotte North as a color commentator?
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Penn at Yale Sunday afternoon on ESPNU

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:24 am Anyone catch this game? The broadcast production was top shelf. Everything was chef's kiss great from the field mics to the camerawork, multiple angles, replays, shot clock display--the works. Thoughts on Charlotte North as a color commentator?
Yup, unless you're a Penn fan.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:38 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:24 am Anyone catch this game? The broadcast production was top shelf. Everything was chef's kiss great from the field mics to the camerawork, multiple angles, replays, shot clock display--the works. Thoughts on Charlotte North as a color commentator?
How do you mean? Broadcast on the whole slanted Yale's way? I hadn't noticed but I wasn't listening too intently after a few minutes into the first quarter.

Thoughts on North?
spidey44

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by spidey44 »

She's growing on me...
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I enjoy her apparent and excellent technical knowledge of the game. She also clearly prepped for this game; she had some terrific context around the Ivies as of late.

My husband wandered in during third quarter, he commented that she needs to "dial it back a bit": too loud and too harsh a tone. I hadn't noticed it until he bought it up, but I do agree, she was a bit aggressive yesterday, compared to previous games I have heard her call. I am sure she is working hard on her style and presentation, just the kind of person she is.

Overall, THUMBS UP!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:51 am
How do you mean? Broadcast on the whole slanted Yale's way? I hadn't noticed but I wasn't listening too intently after a few minutes into the first quarter.

Thoughts on North?
I mean a Penn fan probably didn't, in retrospect, much care about the quality of the broadcast, with a running clock for about half the game.

I like Charlotte. Who tactical insights into the game are interesting, and appreciated. Her voice is a little loud for this viewer.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Charlotte's actually an outstanding broadcaster, I'd prefer the voice of Ms Downunda (wherever you are, please come back) but her knowledge of the game and insights are second to none, IMO.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Thoughts on North?
No denying she is knowledgable but her voice is so grating and pitched - cant stand when she's on a broadcast for that reason. SSB and Dana are my two favourites.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Madlax59 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:16 pm

Thoughts on North?
No denying she is knowledgable but her voice is so grating and pitched - cant stand when she's on a broadcast for that reason. SSB and Dana are my two favourites.
Dana should get more games for sure. Courtney Connor also does a good job.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:29 am
I enjoy her apparent and excellent technical knowledge of the game. She also clearly prepped for this game; she had some terrific context around the Ivies as of late.

My husband wandered in during third quarter, he commented that she needs to "dial it back a bit": too loud and too harsh a tone. I hadn't noticed it until he bought it up, but I do agree, she was a bit aggressive yesterday, compared to previous games I have heard her call. I am sure she is working hard on her style and presentation, just the kind of person she is.

Overall, THUMBS UP!
Agreed. Knowledgeable but shouts so much.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:22 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:16 pm

Thoughts on North?
Dana should get more games for sure. Courtney Connor also does a good job.
I think Courtney is the best analyst right now and with experience CN will become the best.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

laxlaxlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:24 pm

Overall, THUMBS UP!
Really, your wife said that? Interesting. How many MALE analysts has she said that about? Name them and explain why.

I think Sheehan Stanwick Burch is terrific. She knows the game and the rules and is right down the middle when she does a game. My one problem with her is that she is not very critical. When a bad pass is made, or a poor shot is taken, when a Goalie made or did not make the right move, or a defender played an attacker poorly, I would like to hear her say that and explain why. Quint and Paul do it on the guys side, but Paul is reluctant to do so on the Women's side. I don't like that and I think it should be done the same on both sides. It's not personal, it's Lacrosse.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:02 pm
laxlaxlax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:24 pm

Overall, THUMBS UP!
Really, your wife said that? Interesting. How many MALE analysts has she said that about? Name them and explain why.

I think Sheehan Stanwick Burch is terrific. She knows the game and the rules and is right down the middle when she does a game. My one problem with her is that she is not very critical. When a bad pass is made, or a poor shot is taken, when a Goalie made or did not make the right move, or a defender played an attacker poorly, I would like to hear her say that and explain why. Quint and Paul do it on the guys side, but Paul is reluctant to do so on the Women's side. I don't like that and I think it should be done the same on both sides. It's not personal, it's Lacrosse.
Wife?
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Watching some of the Princeton Loyola game and I might have a new favorite analyst, Jessy Morgan.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

GratefulRed wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:14 pm Watching some of the Princeton Loyola game and I might have a new favorite analyst, Jessy Morgan.
Jessy is very good and her call relates to the new fan and the seasoned watcher....She knows the game and provides great color. Very friendly to Loyola, just like the play by play anglophile (soccer plurals).
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:22 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:14 pm Watching some of the Princeton Loyola game and I might have a new favorite analyst, Jessy Morgan.
Jessy is very good and her call relates to the new fan and the seasoned watcher....She knows the game and provides great color. Very friendly to Loyola, just like the play by play anglophile (soccer plurals).
Yes, she’s really good.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Women's Lacrosse Broadcasts: Comments/Reviews - BC at Ginny

Soft as puppy poo. That was how I would sum up the commentary about the (nearly) catastrophically fatal dunderheaded strategic gaff at the end of the first half in yesterday's Virginia/Boston College game. With that brutal decision to pass, BC went on to score 6 goals in a row to take the lead 9-8 midway through the 3rd quarter before excellent frosh Jenna DiNardo finally stopped the bleeding with less than 5 minutes to go in the 3rd. Thank goodness Virginia won in the end. They fully deserved to win the game. I blame the gaff more on the coaching staff than any one player. Obviously the entire team was unclear as to situational strategy in that particular instance. That's on the head coach.

One of the few things njbill and I have agree on in who knows how long. While Bill was losing his mind about it on these boards, I was losing my mind about it on another platform.

One of the things that really set me off about it was the chicken-shidt let's-be-SO-SO-careful-not-to-offend-anyone color commentary that followed. Goodness gracious we wouldn't want to call the decision to pass the ball and risk a turnover resulting in a shot-in-the-arm-goal for BC with mere seconds left in the first half, a five goal lead and ALL the momentum stupid. But that's exactly what they both chose to do. Let's just call it an "errant pass by the goalie." Where was the criticism of the decision to pass the ball in that situation? Larry mentioned this a few days ago. The head scratching reluctance of commentators in women's lacrosse to say anything that could be even remotely considered critical is downright stunning at times. In this case, both Dana Boyle and Mike Corey failed miserably.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I think I agree with you about the commentary; just a really bad decision and the reluctance to say so is strange at least. I like Boyle, but that is her job in some respect. She lives in Charlottesville, so maybe disinclined to be straightforward about Josephson's gaffe.

On the allocation of the blame to the coaches, harder to say. You expect -- in college; this is the pinnacle of lacrosse for most women for heaven's sake -- players to know that there are 20 seconds left in the half. I'm not sure if Lamonica was yelling "hold the ball" or not. Either way, the gaffe is really on the player in that situation, and maybe on the adjacent players as well (UVA No. 2 is a senior, I think....). Either way, UVA deserved this win, and I am happy they got the W here. Great game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:30 am On the allocation of the blame to the coaches, harder to say. You expect -- in college; this is the pinnacle of lacrosse for most women for heaven's sake -- players to know that there are 20 seconds left in the half. I'm not sure if Lamonica was yelling "hold the ball" or not. Either way, the gaffe is really on the player in that situation, and maybe on the adjacent players as well (UVA No. 2 is a senior, I think....). Either way, UVA deserved this win, and I am happy they got the W here. Great game.
Agreed on everything here excepting "You expect...players to know..." I think that's where the blame should be laid directly at the head coach's feet. She can't afford to assume they know. She should make sure they know by regularly including situational lacrosse drills as part of their practice and game preparation.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:17 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:30 am On the allocation of the blame to the coaches, harder to say. You expect -- in college; this is the pinnacle of lacrosse for most women for heaven's sake -- players to know that there are 20 seconds left in the half. I'm not sure if Lamonica was yelling "hold the ball" or not. Either way, the gaffe is really on the player in that situation, and maybe on the adjacent players as well (UVA No. 2 is a senior, I think....). Either way, UVA deserved this win, and I am happy they got the W here. Great game.
Agreed on everything here excepting "You expect...players to know..." I think that's where the blame should be laid directly at the head coach's feet. She can't afford to assume they know. She should make sure they know by regularly including situational lacrosse drills as part of their practice and game preparation.
Again, I suspect she does conduct those drills, and the goalie had a brain cramp, and none of her teammates told her to hold the ball. I think Josephson couldn't hear or blocked out whatever calls were coming from the sideline. In the end, I don't much care who gets the blame, but we talked about situational and clock awareness in high school. Kids have to understand the game they are playing.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”