WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

SocalGeoff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 pm I am fortunate to have been the play the play commentator for a DI program in California for the last few seasons. I also officiate high school and college level women’s lacrosse, which provides an interesting intersection of perspective.

I believe women’s lacrosse is one of the most demanding of sports skills and athleticism wise, which makes it so much fun to call from a broadcasting point of view!

Would love to hear what others think brings them a positive viewing experience to a game.
I would encourage you to read this thread from the beginning. There are a lot of specifics to draw from along the lines you mention.
Womenslaxxfan

Re: Big Ten Women's Lacrosse Broadcasts: Comments/Reviews

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 pm A couple of observations from two recent Big Ten Network broadcasts. Penn at Maryland with Mark Dixon on play-by-play and Taylor Cummings on color commentary. Then Penn State at Ohio State with Dean "Giggles" Linke on play-by-play and Caley "I'm just doing this for a little extra spending money" Chelios on color commentary.

All four broadcasters are proficient enough at their jobs. No major complaints--but I do have a few bones to pick.

One bone is know what the frick you're talking about. One would think that former players Cummings (Maryland '17) and Chelios (Northwestern '16) would know what they're talking about when it comes to lacrosse, but both of them put their foot in it during their recent broadcasts. Cummings (along with Dixon) botched the explanation of the 2024 edition of Green Cards in the sport. Cummings erroneously told viewers that last year the rule between the 30's was 3 fouls then a yellow card. Wrong. Anyone paying attention knows it was 3 team fouls between the 30's then a green card for a kind of delay of game trip to the penalty chair.

Chelios began her comments about what turned out to be the game winner with "What a rivalry." With Ohio State and Penn State? In women's lacrosse? Okay--we know that's not true. How about Ohio State with anyone in women's lacrosse...? Nope. Ohio State hasn't been in D1 women's lacrosse long enough, nor have they been good enough, to form any What-a-Rivalry's. But I get it--Chelios hails from today's Industrial Hype Complex School of Broadcasting, so...what else can we expect. Then she forgot what the score was, twice, after Fab Frosh Kate Tyack brought the Buckeyes even at 8 with 1:04 left in the 4th. Pay attention, Caley.

Multiple angle camerawork with replays was stellar on both broadcasts. Field mics on both were perfect. On-screen shot clock/power plays--all top shelf.
I happen to think Cummings is the most insightful color commentator working. Has more tactical insight than Sheehan and isn’t afraid to criticize coaching or player decisions. I wish she did more games….
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Big Ten Women's Lacrosse Broadcasts: Comments/Reviews

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:46 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 pm A couple of observations from two recent Big Ten Network broadcasts. Penn at Maryland with Mark Dixon on play-by-play and Taylor Cummings on color commentary. Then Penn State at Ohio State with Dean "Giggles" Linke on play-by-play and Caley "I'm just doing this for a little extra spending money" Chelios on color commentary.

All four broadcasters are proficient enough at their jobs. No major complaints--but I do have a few bones to pick.

One bone is know what the frick you're talking about. One would think that former players Cummings (Maryland '17) and Chelios (Northwestern '16) would know what they're talking about when it comes to lacrosse, but both of them put their foot in it during their recent broadcasts. Cummings (along with Dixon) botched the explanation of the 2024 edition of Green Cards in the sport. Cummings erroneously told viewers that last year the rule between the 30's was 3 fouls then a yellow card. Wrong. Anyone paying attention knows it was 3 team fouls between the 30's then a green card for a kind of delay of game trip to the penalty chair.

Chelios began her comments about what turned out to be the game winner with "What a rivalry." With Ohio State and Penn State? In women's lacrosse? Okay--we know that's not true. How about Ohio State with anyone in women's lacrosse...? Nope. Ohio State hasn't been in D1 women's lacrosse long enough, nor have they been good enough, to form any What-a-Rivalry's. But I get it--Chelios hails from today's Industrial Hype Complex School of Broadcasting, so...what else can we expect. Then she forgot what the score was, twice, after Fab Frosh Kate Tyack brought the Buckeyes even at 8 with 1:04 left in the 4th. Pay attention, Caley.

Multiple angle camerawork with replays was stellar on both broadcasts. Field mics on both were perfect. On-screen shot clock/power plays--all top shelf.
I happen to think Cummings is the most insightful color commentator working. Has more tactical insight than Sheehan and isn’t afraid to criticize coaching or player decisions. I wish she did more games….
She does a fine job I just can't stand her voice. It's too nasal/monotone for me. I'm not looking for a whole ton of tactical analysis. Everybody has their own preference. She just doesn't fit mine.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Women's sports -- and not some random broadcast or regular season game:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... int-lines/

Five NCAA women’s basketball tournament games — all at Moda center in Portland — were played with different-length three-point arcs on either side of the court. That has included four Sweet 16 matchups Friday and Saturday, then North Carolina State’s 76-66 win over Texas in the Elite Eight on Sunday. Coaches for the Wolfpack and Longhorns were alerted to the discrepancy shortly before tip-off but ultimately decided to start on time rather than delay the game to fix the court.

The arc in front of N.C. State’s bench was shorter than it was supposed to be, according to Wolfpack Coach Wes Moore, who added that the arc in front of Texas’s bench was the correct distance. Texas Coach Vic Schaefer said officials gave the coaches the option of altering the incorrect line with tape, which they said could have taken up to an hour. A spokesperson for the tournament site declined to comment, referring reporters to the NCAA. Lisa Peterson, chair of the NCAA Division I women’s basketball selection committee, also declined to comment in Portland.

The NCAA offered few clarifying details in a statement released during the game. Then it issued a second statement that placed blame on Connor Sports, the vendor for hardwood floors used in the women’s and men’s tournaments. The Michigan-based company did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

“The NCAA was notified today that the three-point lines on the court at Moda Center in Portland are not the same distance,” the initial statement read. “The two head coaches were made aware of the discrepancy and elected to play a complete game on the court as is, rather than correcting the court and delaying the game. The court will be corrected before tomorrow’s game in Portland [between Connecticut and USC in the Portland Region 3 final].

“At the conclusion of tonight’s game and practice in Portland, the NCAA will be measuring all court lines and markings on the court at Moda Center,” read the second statement, which was attributed to Lynn Holzman, the NCAA’s vice president of women’s basketball. “While the NCAA’s vendor has apologized for the error, we will investigate how this happened in the first place. The NCAA is working now to ensure the accuracy of all court markings for future games. We are not aware of any other issues at any of the prior sites for men’s or women’s tournament games. The NCAA regrets the error was not discovered sooner.”
Quill

Post by Quill »

I'd like to see the measurements for summer recruiting tournament fields. 8 meters that are really 7 or 9. The distance between the 30s is 30 or 40 yards. Cram as many fields into a campus as possible. Who cares how close it is to a regulation field? The coaches will see what they need to see to make a decision!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Quill wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:19 am I'd like to see the measurements for summer recruiting tournament fields. 8 meters that are really 7 or 9. The distance between the 30s is 30 or 40 yards. Cram as many fields into a campus as possible. Who cares how close it is to a regulation field? The coaches will see what they need to see to make a decision!
Been there, back in the day, watching the kids take FPSs from 6 or 7 meters. No big deal; it's "just girls."
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:25 am
Quill wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:19 am I'd like to see the measurements for summer recruiting tournament fields. 8 meters that are really 7 or 9. The distance between the 30s is 30 or 40 yards. Cram as many fields into a campus as possible. Who cares how close it is to a regulation field? The coaches will see what they need to see to make a decision!
Been there, back in the day, watching the kids take FPSs from 6 or 7 meters. No big deal; it's "just girls."
Also been there! So many times where the restraining line & draw circle were inches from each other or touching. Chances were also that the 12m fan was just a few feet below the restraining line.

Also in a somewhat similar vein - did you see the opinion piece in the LA Times about the UCLA v LSU game??
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Countless times I've seen them have to hurriedly repaint an 8m to get it right, but still screw up the angles.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:33 am
Also been there! So many times where the restraining line & draw circle were inches from each other or touching. Chances were also that the 12m fan was just a few feet below the restraining line.

Also in a somewhat similar vein - did you see the opinion piece in the LA Times about the UCLA v LSU game??
I did not; hit the paywall!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:45 am

It has since been edited and a lot of the language that upset people retracted.

This article from Forbes covers the situation more thoroughly than others I found:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/shaunharpe ... 5c11d1be1b
Quill

Post by Quill »

Wait! What? The restraining line, draw circle, and 12M are not supposed to touch??!!!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:15 am

This article from Forbes covers the situation more thoroughly than others I found:
Thanks; and ouch.

My guess is that the discussion about how her UCLA teammates felt about Angel were intended to soften the, umm, racism. I don't much like and almost never support trash talking, but I do know that Reese is doing nothing more or less than CC. When a different standard is made to apply, you look at the characteristics that distinguish the speakers. Pretty hard to get around the obvious here. Hoping for a couple of good games tonight.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:59 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:15 am

Thanks; and ouch.

My guess is that the discussion about how her UCLA teammates felt about Angel were intended to soften the, umm, racism. I don't much like and almost never support trash talking, but I do know that Reese is doing nothing more or less than CC. When a different standard is made to apply, you look at the characteristics that distinguish the speakers. Pretty hard to get around the obvious here. Hoping for a couple of good games tonight.
Not a fan of CC. At all. Constant complaining. Getting phantom calls even MJ didn’t get and that’s saying a lot Think she is just as bad as Reese. Also not a fan of Reese. Reese is worse than CC in regards of the mouth. She was going at it with the coaches in UCLA after the game. But I see this in all sports now. This is going to be the way to market yourself. Reese isn’t on the same level as CC basketball wise. But is just as well known and making bank as CC. Saw a video of an 8 year old in out hockey scored dropped his stick and pretended his hands were hot. The days of act like you’ve been there before is over. I know I’m starting to get used to it. I don’t like it, but I’m getting used to it.

Nothing to do with the article but where I do think it’s wrong is that if you have a problem with how Reese acts you are judged instantly as a racist.

Pulling for UConn. She’s the best player in the game.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:06 pm Not a fan of CC. At all. Constant complaining. Getting phantom calls even MJ didn’t get and that’s saying a lot
MJ getting calls???? Replace MJ with Lebron and I agree! Lebron gets looked at sideways and he's crying to the refs. MJ had to deal with the Knicks and Bad Boys! Back when "no blood no foul" was close to being real!
OuttaNowhereWregget

They Trash Talk in Women's Lacrosse, Don't They?

Meaghan Tyrrell wishes there was more...

She remembers a great incident beginning at two minutes and 16 seconds if you want to skip ahead.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Update from Sally Jenkins, in the Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... oint-line/

Even now, the women’s NCAA basketball tournament, that ceiling-rupturing Roman candle of an event, is still being treated with a combination of incompetence and indifference by its stagers. Somebody, multiple people actually, didn’t care enough to make sure the Sweet 16 court in Portland had the right proportions. What else did they misdraw with such insulting lack of care? The world wonders. Don’t think for a second that small discrepancy in three-point lines didn’t matter. Just because something is petty doesn’t make it unimportant. Actually, it’s all the more belittling.

“I hate to say this,” Texas Coach Vic Schaefer said afterward, “but I have a lot of colleagues who would say, ‘Only in women’s basketball.’ It’s a shame, really, that it even happened.”

What a debacle. What a humiliating televised spectacle, as North Carolina State’s Wes Moore and Texas’s Schaefer walked off distances in their loafers and squinted at those three-point arcs that didn’t match. Imagine Dan Hurley’s reaction in such a situation. Both women’s coaches were politic afterward, as the good and patient people in this game always are, reluctant to hurt the event they’ve built with so little help. Five games were played on that court, and there is no replaying them. But of course it mattered. It mattered reputationally, it mattered competitively and it was an inexcusable injustice to everyone concerned.

And it was just the latest instance of bureaucratic haplessness. A ref named Tommi Paris had to be peeled off an early-stage game between N.C. State and Chattanooga when it was discovered late that she had a conflict — namely, she received a degree from Chattanooga. Utah was housed fully 30 miles from its Spokane, Wash. competition site in Coeur D’Alene, Idaho — notorious as the longtime home of the Aryan Nations. Surprise: Players were accosted by revving pickup truckers yelling racial slurs at them and had to be moved for safety. Notre Dame’s Hannah Hidalgo was benched by a martinet ref in the Sweet 16 for more than four minutes, ordered to remove a diamond stud in her nose that she had worn all season without penalty, including in the earlier rounds.

Even now, these things keep happening. Even now, when the NCAA knew that this tournament would be watched to an unprecedented degree by a record large audiences with newfound passion. The question of how such a thing as the court foul-up could happen remains to be answered in terms of specifics — the names of the corner cutters at Connor Sports, the company that makes, ships and installs the NCAA’s logoed tournament courts, who did such shabby, inattentive work. But the larger culpability is obvious from the passivity of the NCAA’s statement when it was discovered.

“The NCAA was notified today that the three-point lines on the court at Moda Center in Portland are not the same distance,” the organization’s statement read. “The court will be corrected before tomorrow’s game in Portland. The NCAA regrets the error was not discovered sooner.”

That shoddily painted court unquestionably warped players’ shooting perspectives and hurt their efficiency. According to ESPN’s stats tracking, across five games teams shot just 29 percent from the three-point line that was too shallow, compared to 33 percent from the standard three-point line. A four percent advantage from the three? That’s a massive difference. And it almost unquestionably affected final scores.

Think about it. What effect did it have on momentum, the dynamic shifts in the games? Timing mattered. A team that had to play offense on the suboptimal end in the second half was at a serious, quantifiable disadvantage. Holding a lead or completing a comeback was undeniably tougher, and such a difference in a close game is a chasm.

In the Sweet 16, Stanford led N.C. State by 10 after the first half. In the second half, after switching sides, the Cardinal made just two of 13 three-point attempts. Meanwhile the Wolfpack surged, hitting 50 percent from behind the arc in the second half. Take nothing away from the Wolfpack; they earned the victory. But the circumstances befouled the result, and that was unfair to all.

“Who knows how much it could impact a team?” Stanford Coach Tara VanDerveer wrote in an email, replying to a query. “You miss shots, people get frustrated, etc. Either way, it is shoddy workmanship and a lack of accountability. When you go to the gym you trust that the lines are correct and the basket is at the right height. Not a good look.”

It’s long past time for the NCAA to take some self-accountability, and fix the disregarded, underfunded system that creates such amateur hour errors around an event that is becoming one of its most valuable and prestigious.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

A common theme with inequity related to women's sports. They just don't care.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:25 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:06 pm Not a fan of CC. At all. Constant complaining. Getting phantom calls even MJ didn’t get and that’s saying a lot
MJ getting calls???? Replace MJ with Lebron and I agree! Lebron gets looked at sideways and he's crying to the refs. MJ had to deal with the Knicks and Bad Boys! Back when "no blood no foul" was close to being real!
Lebron is certainly the better example. But MJ used to get a ton of calls. I love the video, whether real or not, when the ref asked him “Michael, do you think he got you?” MJ said yes so the ref called the foul. lol.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:45 pm
spidey44 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:25 pm
Lebron is certainly the better example. But MJ used to get a ton of calls. I love the video, whether real or not, when the ref asked him “Michael, do you think he got you?” MJ said yes so the ref called the foul. lol.
Check out the video pinned to Rex Chapman's twitter account: the NBA in the 1980s and 90s -- No Babies Allowed:

https://twitter.com/RexChapman?ref_src= ... r%5Eauthor
laxinallthetime

Post by laxinallthetime »

All I can say is whoever calls the West Point lacrosse games is the absolute best!! That guy is just amazing!!!!!!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”