Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by DMac »

Yesterday my long time neighbor and friend died, would have been 96 on Sept. 25th. Not a lot of room to complain about the number of years he got but it's still a bummer. Heard a siren screaming down the street then suddenly went silent. Didn't think much of til the next one did the same thing. Thought uh oh, this must've been the last day for Bill and it was. If not 90 he had to be real close to it when he was finally told to stop coming in to work. Was an electrician but there was nothing he couldn't do, I watched him go on a roof to fix a leak, had to be near 90 when he did that, put in a couple of hot water tanks after that too. Good man, old US Army Air Force guy, stayed stateside his whole time in. Used to do quite a bit of piddly stuff for him (just now finished mowing his lawn so it looks nice for the scavengers when they roll in today), just stop in and visit, bring him stuff to eat (loved my French toast with mulberry syrup), give him a hand when he looked like he needed it/was in trouble. He'd get on his mower and do a few rounds (big yard), when I heard it stop I'd go get on the mower and finish it for him...nfw he should have been doing that but his family sucks and let him sit there alone for a lot of years. Am bummed about it all but none of it was unexpected. Man loved to fart, was visiting with him two days ago and he was still at it. World lost a good man yesterday, that guy had a lot of good stories. The world was a whole lot different when he left it than it was when he came into it.
RIP, Bill.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:05 am Yesterday my long time neighbor and friend died, would have been 96 on Sept. 25th. Not a lot of room to complain about the number of years he got but it's still a bummer. Heard a siren screaming down the street then suddenly went silent. Didn't think much of til the next one did the same thing. Thought uh oh, this must've been the last day for Bill and it was. If not 90 he had to be real close to it when he was finally told to stop coming in to work. Was an electrician but there was nothing he couldn't do, I watched him go on a roof to fix a leak, had to be near 90 when he did that, put in a couple of hot water tanks after that too. Good man, old US Army Air Force guy, stayed stateside his whole time in. Used to do quite a bit of piddly stuff for him (just now finished mowing his lawn so it looks nice for the scavengers when they roll in today), just stop in and visit, bring him stuff to eat (loved my French toast with mulberry syrup), give him a hand when he looked like he needed it/was in trouble. He'd get on his mower and do a few rounds (big yard), when I heard it stop I'd go get on the mower and finish it for him...nfw he should have been doing that but his family sucks and let him sit there alone for a lot of years. Am bummed about it all but none of it was unexpected. Man loved to fart, was visiting with him two days ago and he was still at it. World lost a good man yesterday, that guy had a lot of good stories. The world was a whole lot different when he left it than it was when he came into it.
RIP, Bill.
Thanks for posting. Sounds like you should write the public obit rather than the short name, birth date, death date that he'll probably get from his family.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Big Charles "Hungry" Hardy:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... 013a&ei=31

The competitive eating world lost a legend today as Charles "Hungry" Hardy passed away.

Major League Eating executive George Shea announced on X today that the former MLE Commissioner and world record holder has lost his life.

Nicknamed "The Godfather" on the competitive circuit, Hardy was a two-time runner-up in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest and finished in the top five of the competition two other times.

"Major League Eating mourns the passing of longtime MLE Commissioner and former competitive eating great Charles Hardy. He was known as the Godfather to the eating world and as Hungry Charles Hardy to fans. He was a great person who will be sorely missed," Shea wrote.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2nfGQVWYAA ... name=small

The 320-pound competitive eater worked as a corrections officer on Rikers Island.

Charles Hardy set world records for consuming boiled cabbage (six pounds, nine ounces) and shrimp (four pounds, nine ounces). He also won contests for consuming matzo balls (15.5) and sushi (15 feet).

The 1998 and 1999 Hot Dog Eating Contests saw him finish as runner-up by 1.5 hot dogs to Hirofumi Nakajima and Steve Keiner respectively. His personal record was 23.5 hot dogs and buns.

Our hearts go out to Hardy's family and loved ones.

Watched him for years. He was always reputed to be one of the nicest guys in pro sports.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

William Friedkin ~ great Hollywood director:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/07/entertai ... index.html

French Connection
The Exorcist
Boys In the Band
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Robbie Robertson has died. He was 80 years old.
Lead guitarist and Songwriter With The Band
https://americansongwriter.com/the-band ... ead-at-80/
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Band!

Their great song "The Weight" is a perpetual favorite here in Lake Wobegone.

I pulled in to Nazareth
Was feeling 'bout half past dead
I just need someplace
Where I can lay my head
"Hey, mister, can you tell me
Where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand
"No" was all he said

[Chorus]
Take a load off, Fanny
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Fanny
And (And, and)
You put the load right on me (You put the load right on me)

[Verse 2]
I picked up my bag
I went looking for a place to hide
When I saw Carmen and the Devil
Walking side-by-side
I said, "Hey Carmen
Come on, let's go downtown"
She said, "I gotta go
But my friend can stick around"

[Chorus]
Take a load off, Fanny
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Fanny
And (And, and)

[Verse 3]
Go down, Miss Moses
There's nothin' you can say
It's just ol' Luke, and
Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day
"Well, Luke, my friend
What about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son
Won't ya stay and keep Anna Lee company?"

[Chorus]
And take a load off, Fanny
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Fanny
And (And, and)

[Verse 4]
Crazy Chester followed me
And he caught me in the fog
He said, "I will fix your rack
If you'll take Jack, my dog"
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester
You know I'm a peaceful man"
He said, "That's okay, boy
Won't you feed him when you can?" (Yeah)
[Chorus]
Take a load off, Fanny
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Fanny
And (And, and)

[Verse 5]
Catch a cannonball, now
To take me down the line
My bag is sinkin' low
And I do believe it's time
To get back to Miss Fanny
You know she's the only one
Who sent me here with her
Regards for everyone

[Chorus]
Take a load off, Fanny
Take a load for free
Take a load off, Fanny
And (And, and)

What a GREAT song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFAQuWFcTo

tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:24 pm Robbie Robertson has died. He was 80 years old.
Lead guitarist and Songwriter With The Band
https://americansongwriter.com/the-band ... ead-at-80/
damn... RIP

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... zKKdA1WJGY
njbill

Post by njbill »

His death is one of those that seems to come all too frequently these days that makes me feel old.

In looking it up, I see that Garth Hudson, age 86 (!), is now the only surviving member of The Band.

Had a girlfriend once who absolutely loved the group. Named her dog Levon.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Pretty cool version of The Weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1GU1qQ1zQ
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:39 pm Pretty cool version of The Weight.

1,000+

That was one super awesome video. Had to put it on my Faves. Thanks for sharing.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Long, but worth the read: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... wn-169.php And the listen.

And another (mostly for the reading): https://datechguyblog.blog/2023/08/13/t ... nd-ranked/
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:39 pm Pretty cool version of The Weight.

I remember watching this and singing along during the pandemic. Just beautiful. Thanks for the reminder.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

RIP Alex Collins, NFL running back for the Seahawks and Ravens and college phenom at Arkansas.
HS lax player in Florida.
Gone too soon.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:51 am RIP Alex Collins, NFL running back for the Seahawks and Ravens and college phenom at Arkansas.
HS lax player in Florida.
Gone too soon.

kKMR6McDj1s

To an Athlete Dying Young

BY A. E. HOUSMAN

The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

Today, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears.

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.

So set, before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.

And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl’s.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rick Jeanneret, Buffalo Sabres play-by-play announcer for 51 years, passed away today, age 81. Some of the best hockey calls you're ever gonna hear.

https://buffalonews.com/multimedia/phot ... ed3.html#1
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

James Buckley

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... 84ad&ei=10

It’s a pity James L. Buckley isn’t as well known as his younger brother, William F. Buckley Jr. Bill was the conservative intellectual, magazine editor and TV star. Jim Buckley had as distinguished a career serving at a high level in all three branches of government. He died Friday at age 100.

Jim Buckley served in the Navy in World War II, participating in the battles of Leyte and Okinawa. In 1970 he won a three-way race for Senate from New York on the Conservative Party line. He won 39% of the vote to defeat liberal Republican Charles Goodell and Democrat Richard Ottinger in one of the most surprising upsets in Senate history.

Buckley served one term before losing in that overwhelmingly Democratic state to Daniel Patrick Moynihan in 1976. But he left his mark on the Senate and the law when he challenged a campaign finance law on grounds that campaign expenditure is a form of political speech. He won a partial victory in 1976 in Buckley v. Valeo, but that precedent made possible the 2010 landmark in Citizens United v. FEC.

Everywhere he took an interest he left a mark. The Buckley Amendment, otherwise known as the Family Education Rights and Policy Act of 1974, directed that parents have the right to see their children’s school records. Also that year Buckley became the first conservative member of the GOP Senate conference to call on Richard Nixon to resign amid the Watergate scandal.

Buckley served in the Reagan Administration as Under Secretary of State for International Security Affairs, and Reagan later nominated him for a seat on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals. He served on that court with distinction as an active judge for 11 years and was still serving on senior status when he died Friday.

Buckley’s particular concern was what he saw as the erosion of respect for the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution. That amendment says all powers not assigned to the federal government are reserved to the states.

Buckley elaborated on that theme often, including in these pages. In a 2020 speech, he said that federal money has brought about “an avalanche of regulation-ridden programs that now provide federal subsidies for virtually every activity in which states are engaged.” He expounded on this theme in his 2010 book, “Freedom at Risk: Reflections on Politics, Liberty, and the State.”

Buckley proved that a man could take strong stands without being unlikable. It is common today to lament the incivility of political discourse. Jim Buckley’s long life offers a model of something better for all times.

Principled conservative who did not resort to all the hate CONs are so noted for. Didn't like welfare but approved of corporate reliefs and other goodies to the oil industry given by the gov't.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Bray Wyatt (Windham Rotunda):

https://www.google.com/search?q=bray+wy ... e&ie=UTF-8

It is said that Covid caused him illness and that his heart was weakened by it. So sad as he was only 36. Good wrestler.

Brooklyn

Terry Funk

Post by Brooklyn »

One of the greatest heavyweight wrestlers of all time. The amount of punishment he withstood during his long career is beyond all imagination. Wiki: Terrence Funk was an American professional wrestler. He was known for the longevity of his career – which spanned more than 50 years and included multiple short-lived retirements – and the influential hardcore wrestling style he pioneered in the latter part of his career.

https://www.google.com/search?q=terry+f ... e&ie=UTF-8

Never to be forgotten.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:57 pm Bob Barker….c’mon down

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bob-barker ... ight-host/
RIP to the GOAT. Think about this....he was the closest to to not going over 100 or $1.00.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”