UNC 2024 Injuries

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: UNC 2024 Injuries

Post by wlaxphan20 »

BWW & Marissa White - proven major contributors.

Chloe Humphrey, while one of the most heralded recruits in recent memory - hasn't seen a day of competitive college lacrosse yet. But sure, for argument's sake let's just say she contributes.

Kaleigh Harden, who did not start but was a solid midfield reserve, & Student, both contributed on the draw - but that's about it. I wouldn't consider them overall major contributors, but that's JMO.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:20 pm BWW & Marissa White - proven major contributors.

Chloe Humphrey, while one of the most heralded recruits in recent memory - hasn't seen a day of competitive college lacrosse yet. But sure, for argument's sake let's just say she contributes.

Kaleigh Harden, who did not start but was a solid midfield reserve, & Student, both contributed on the draw - but that's about it. I wouldn't consider them overall major contributors, but that's JMO.
I'm going to disagree with you on Kaleigh Harden:
2023 ACC All-Freshman Team
2023 All-ACC Academic Team
2024 U.S. U20 National Training Team
2nd on team last year with 54 draw controls

That's a really good year for a 1st year player.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:57 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:20 pm BWW & Marissa White - proven major contributors.

She had a great freshman year, I never said she didn’t. But she wasn’t really a major contributor outside of the draw control IMO.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:00 pm

She had a great freshman year, I never said she didn’t. But she wasn’t really a major contributor outside of the draw control IMO.
Acc all freshman team just means you play regularly as a frosh. Thats it.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:00 pm

Acc all freshman team just means you play regularly as a frosh. Thats it.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:27 am
uncfan1013 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:57 pm New confirmed news:

Nicole Humphrey injured her foot, taking her out for the season. She will return to UNC next season to play her final season with both her sisters.

Sophie Student has been confirmed out for the season and will return next season.

Chloe and Brooklyn’s injuries could’ve had them back later in the season, but no wanting to rush it they’ve decided to sit the rest of the season.

Sam Forest has been cleared after an injury took her out for the past year.
Nicole wasn't out for the season due to injury, but as I said a week or so ago, she is returning to UNC next year. She wouldn't have been removed from the roster and the article on the USC website about her transferring in wouldn't have been taken down if she was just injured and unable to play......

She injured her foot which took her out for a large time, now she is transferring to UNC so that’s why.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Nicole Humphrey injured her foot, taking her out for the season. She will return to UNC next season to play her final season with both her sisters.

Sophie Student has been confirmed out for the season and will return next season.

Chloe and Brooklyn’s injuries could’ve had them back later in the season, but no wanting to rush it they’ve decided to sit the rest of the season.

Nicole wasn't out for the season due to injury, but as I said a week or so ago, she is returning to UNC next year. She wouldn't have been removed from the roster and the article on the USC website about her transferring in wouldn't have been taken down if she was just injured and unable to play......

She injured her foot which took her out for a large time, now she is transferring to UNC so that’s why.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

uncfan1013 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:55 pm

Fun for her to be able to train and play with her sisters. Wish her and them the very best.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

[quomte=intheknow247 post_id=519144 time=1708020657 user_id=4873]
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:13 pm Image
wlaxphan20 Got you with that one ONW - :lol:
[/quote]

If I remember correctly- 2 of those SU impact player injuries happened late season. UNC with a roster loaded with All Americans has a long time to adapt til playoff time. I wish no injury to any player and hate to compare but to say "no one" has seen the '24 UNC level of injury is silly.

The bigger question should be - why to we ask these athletes to play so darn much and on turf most of the time. The high school club circuit is poison to these young women.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:28 pm
tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:28 pm [quomte=intheknow247 post_id=519144 time=1708020657 user_id=4873]
If I remember correctly- 2 of those SU impact player injuries happened late season. UNC with a roster loaded with All Americans has a long time to adapt til playoff time. I wish no injury to any player and hate to compare but to say "no one" has seen the '24 UNC level of injury is silly.

The bigger question should be - why to we ask these athletes to play so darn much and on turf most of the time. The high school club circuit is poison to these young women.
Correct, they were mid-season injuries. The statement was just about players injured at one time. TBH, I think if you combed through rosters at mid- & low-tier schools you’ll find teams with as many players injured. We just hear about the top team’s players because it’s deemed newsworthy.

Someone else made a statement about kids coming into college with a lot more “miles” on them and I’d have to agree. The stress fractures are definitely telling. Personally, I’d take broken bones over torn ligaments every day of the week & twice on Sunday.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:47 pm
tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:28 pm [quomte=intheknow247 post_id=519144 time=1708020657 user_id=4873]

Correct, they were mid-season injuries. The statement was just about players injured at one time. TBH, I think if you combed through rosters at mid- & low-tier schools you’ll find teams with as many players injured. We just hear about the top team’s players because it’s deemed newsworthy.

Someone else made a statement about kids coming into college with a lot more “miles” on them and I’d have to agree. The stress fractures are definitely telling. Personally, I’d take broken bones over torn ligaments every day of the week & twice on Sunday.
My comment was really directed at initial post about "no one has seen". Yes they have and totally agree about non marquee teams dealing with this regularly.

Again, 100 percent with soft tissue vs bone injury. My kids have had an assortment of both.

The "miles" issue is a cat let out of the bag and I don't see it changing with the money in club and kids/parents chasing the golden goose. Not that lacrosse is exclusive to this, every youth sport is now year round. Used to be swimming and gymnastics held that honor 🙄.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:11 pm

My comment was really directed at initial post about "no one has seen". Yes they have and totally agree about non marquee teams dealing with this regularly.

Again, 100 percent with soft tissue vs bone injury. My kids have had an assortment of both.

The "miles" issue is a cat let out of the bag and I don't see it changing with the money in club and kids/parents chasing the golden goose. Not that lacrosse is exclusive to this, every youth sport is now year round. Used to be swimming and gymnastics held that honor 🙄.
Soccer has also been a longtime member of the no off-season club. We encourage athletes to play multiple sports, but because club sports have pretty much plundered all the talent rec leagues had, their only option is to join another club team. Now they’re playing multiple sports, but often year round.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Did you really list “All-ACC Academic Team” as a qualifier for being a good player??? Hahahahahahahahahahah
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:39 pm

Soccer has also been a longtime member of the no off-season club. We encourage athletes to play multiple sports, but because club sports have pretty much plundered all the talent rec leagues had, their only option is to join another club team. Now they’re playing multiple sports, but often year round.
This is really frustrating as a parent. My daughter (10) decided not to start club ball year round with the rest of the better girls on her rec team. Instead she asked to play soccer in the fall, Lax in the spring. I contact the local soccer program and they tell me "we expect the girls at this age to play year round". It's really getting to wear you have to pick 1 sport and that's a shame.

So we didn't do soccer because she doesn't want to stop lax. Of course I'm in a dense suburb and youth sports is insane here so maybe it's not so bad elsewhere.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:46 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:39 pm

This is really frustrating as a parent. My daughter (10) decided not to start club ball year round with the rest of the better girls on her rec team. Instead she asked to play soccer in the fall, Lax in the spring. I contact the local soccer program and they tell me "we expect the girls at this age to play year round". It's really getting to wear you have to pick 1 sport and that's a shame.

So we didn't do soccer because she doesn't want to stop lax. Of course I'm in a dense suburb and youth sports is insane here so maybe it's not so bad elsewhere.
I can assure you there are a majority of soccer programs that want your daughter year round. Same holds true for many lax programs. The downside is soccer has the jump on lacrosse based on when it exploded in the US. Club teams want to make that $$$.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:25 am

Did you really list “All-ACC Academic Team” as a qualifier for being a good player??? Hahahahahahahahahahah
I listed her accomplishments from freshman year. Good to see you laugh at a kid not only being a great athlete but a great student. I hope your daughter has a good year in school.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

I completely agree as well about too many miles on a lots of girls in high school.

My perfect model for creating the best lacrosse(athlete) player would be this until you reach high school. Once you are in high school I still believe it's a must to play 2 sports or lacrosse just gets stale.

Fall - Play soccer, but gymnastics is preferred. Learning to move your own body weight combined with stretching is most valuable.
Gymnastics may be the best training at younger ages for any athlete. Just not the crazy elite over training some girls are forced into.

Winter - Play basketball in any league you can find.
Spring/Summer - Find the best lacrosse club you can at 10 years old.

All my kids had to do more than 1 sport or activity in high school. We did not do gymnastics, but if I were to do it over again the kids would have been signed up for gymnastics before any other sport.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:51 am
Fall - Play soccer, but gymnastics is preferred. Learning to move your own body weight combined with stretching is most valuable.
Gymnastics may be the best training at younger ages for any athlete. Just not the crazy elite over training some girls are forced into.

All my kids had to do more than 1 sport or activity in high school. We did not do gymnastics, but if I were to do it over again the kids would have been signed up for gymnastics before any other sport.
The "Izzy Scane effect" :D
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Agree with the gymnastics, but I would throw up a caution. My D1 lax daughter dropped gymnastics in 4th grade when they wanted her in the gym 5 days a week for 3 hours a day. Gymnastics is great ... but you very quickly get to a level that is PRIME for overuse injuries.

Knowing what I know now, I would recommend an intentional program of core strengthening beginning in middle school ... and a conscientious use of REST and RECOVERY.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:28 pm Agree with the gymnastics, but I would throw up a caution. My D1 lax daughter dropped gymnastics in 4th grade when they wanted her in the gym 5 days a week for 3 hours a day. Gymnastics is great ... but you very quickly get to a level that is PRIME for overuse injuries.

Knowing what I know now, I would recommend an intentional program of core strengthening beginning in middle school ... and a conscientious use of REST and RECOVERY.
Same with my daughter; she was in gymnastic and loved it, when, at nine years old, she was encouraged -- with an intensity that you wouldn't believe -- to "shake off" a very sore ankle and compete with it "taped up fine."

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”