Syracuse 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:53 am UNC dominated BC all of last year minus a 10 min span where BC was able to take advantage of some of their youth.
I don't know how you can make this claim. All of last year? They played twice. And BC won the more important matchup. The Eagles knocked off the Heels 11-9 in the ACC conference championship game by suffocating their offense for the 4th quarter (1 shot allowed [via FP], 0 shots on goal). Meanwhile the Eagles ran off 5 straight goals for the hardware.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:53 am
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:45 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:13 am
user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:49 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:30 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 am EW is a unique talent - great stick and vision. She has a flashy game but clearly has some less than great aspects to her game. IMO not the best all round attacker on her team. Tyrell more valuable due to circle work and all round play. ND has a great all-round attacker in Wolak. She may be the best attacker in the ACC. Clarke from BC will finally show how dominate she can be. EW may be a top 6 attacker in the country. She is not a top 6 player in my opinion. This year she may draw the best defender on teams like BC and UNC. Might not be as easy as people think without Carney and older Tyrell their to take some of the toughest defensive assignments.
Very excited to see Rachel Clark at bc. She was basically uncover-able man to man at uva her first two years.
Hope there are enough balls at bc this year to go around….
I truly think Clark will shine. I expect point totals to be pretty similar for Martello and Davis as they had last year, maybe a little bit more for each. I also expect LoPintos point totals from Florida to actually decrease although she will play better. These are my predictions but we will see!
Good predictions. I like 'em. And now for the key question concerning Boston College in 2024: How will they fare vs North Carolina?
We’ve hijacked the Syracuse thread in a strange direction…but to answer your question i think bc has too much talent all over the field versus Carolina. Better goalie. Defenses about equal. Bc has superior midfield with smith and weeks. And I think bc has better attack when you factor in Clark and lopinto and Davis and martello. The humphrey sisters provide an unknown X factor as to uncs top end, but I think Clark and lopinto are elite talents who could both end up as first or second team all Americans depending on how the season turns out. And I don’t feel that way about the non-Humphrey unc offense. They are all very good players—-but not sure I saw anyone other than Godine at times show the level of dominance that I have seen from Clark and lopinto….
Said differently, I’d be shocked if BC isn’t a final 4 team this year. And I don’t feel the same way about unc…..

But that’s just me…..
What's with this unknown Humphrey factor people keep bringing up? Have we not watched and seen Ashley Humphrey play? she is super elite. The best distributor of the ball since Katie Hoeg and can rack up points like nothing. Chloe doesn't need to set the world on fire. Both Humphrey sisters' floors still make UNC better than last year.

Don't think BC is significantly more talented at all. Overall talent UNC. Brooklyn Walker Welch and Emily Nalls are better than anyone BC has on defense. Don't think i'm taking Martello over Godine. Only players on BC i'll take are Smith and LoPinto over Casey and Clark over CW. Go down the rosters and you're taking more UNC players over BC players

Sure LoPinto and Clark make BC a little more top heavy, but the rest of the roster isn' that deep compared to UNC. UNC was rolling hockey lines last year. UNC dominated BC all of last year minus a 10 min span where BC was able to take advantage of some of their youth. The heels were kinda dominant at times last year, multiple weeks ranked number 1 and i think people are forgetting because they tailed off late..and they didn't lose much from that roster. Nicole Humphrey was solid but Kaleigh Harden is an upgrade over her and will see more time in that role. Not to mention they have another batch of talented freshmen from a top ranked 2023 class to fill the void.

To bring this back to Cuse, this team reminds me a little bit of UNC. in that they will be young but very talented and you have to play your A game to beat them. Might not be that big of a rebuilding year. I don't think they'll reach number 1 but they'll be a solid top half of the top 10
UNC has more depth, and that should help them, but I still think BC is the better team. Their attack should be very balanced IMO. Also saying BWW and Nalls are better than anyone on BC is wrong. Between the two teams I would want Sydney Scales to headline my defense.

My starting lineup between the two teams

Goalie - Dolce (BC)

Defense - Scales & Roman (BC), BWW @ Nalls (UNC)

Midfield - Smith & Weeks (BC), and maybe Harden (UNC)? No other midfielders have impressed be on either team, maybe Baker (BC), Dirks is back for UNC but I have been very unimpressed with her.

Attack - Clark, Davis & LoPinto (BC), A Humphrey (UNC), maybe you add another attacker and play 5 attackers with 2 midfielders

I did not include any freshmen because they haven’t played yet and we don’t know how they will be.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:53 am
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:45 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:13 am
user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:49 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:30 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 am EW is a unique talent - great stick and vision. She has a flashy game but clearly has some less than great aspects to her game. IMO not the best all round attacker on her team. Tyrell more valuable due to circle work and all round play. ND has a great all-round attacker in Wolak. She may be the best attacker in the ACC. Clarke from BC will finally show how dominate she can be. EW may be a top 6 attacker in the country. She is not a top 6 player in my opinion. This year she may draw the best defender on teams like BC and UNC. Might not be as easy as people think without Carney and older Tyrell their to take some of the toughest defensive assignments.
Very excited to see Rachel Clark at bc. She was basically uncover-able man to man at uva her first two years.
Hope there are enough balls at bc this year to go around….
I truly think Clark will shine. I expect point totals to be pretty similar for Martello and Davis as they had last year, maybe a little bit more for each. I also expect LoPintos point totals from Florida to actually decrease although she will play better. These are my predictions but we will see!
Good predictions. I like 'em. And now for the key question concerning Boston College in 2024: How will they fare vs North Carolina?
We’ve hijacked the Syracuse thread in a strange direction…but to answer your question i think bc has too much talent all over the field versus Carolina. Better goalie. Defenses about equal. Bc has superior midfield with smith and weeks. And I think bc has better attack when you factor in Clark and lopinto and Davis and martello. The humphrey sisters provide an unknown X factor as to uncs top end, but I think Clark and lopinto are elite talents who could both end up as first or second team all Americans depending on how the season turns out. And I don’t feel that way about the non-Humphrey unc offense. They are all very good players—-but not sure I saw anyone other than Godine at times show the level of dominance that I have seen from Clark and lopinto….
Said differently, I’d be shocked if BC isn’t a final 4 team this year. And I don’t feel the same way about unc…..

But that’s just me…..
What's with this unknown Humphrey factor people keep bringing up? Have we not watched and seen Ashley Humphrey play? she is super elite. The best distributor of the ball since Katie Hoeg and can rack up points like nothing. Chloe doesn't need to set the world on fire. Both Humphrey sisters' floors still make UNC better than last year.

Don't think BC is significantly more talented at all. Overall talent UNC. Brooklyn Walker Welch and Emily Nalls are better than anyone BC has on defense. Don't think i'm taking Martello over Godine. Only players on BC i'll take are Smith and LoPinto over Casey and Clark over CW. Go down the rosters and you're taking more UNC players over BC players

Sure LoPinto and Clark make BC a little more top heavy, but the rest of the roster isn' that deep compared to UNC. UNC was rolling hockey lines last year. UNC dominated BC all of last year minus a 10 min span where BC was able to take advantage of some of their youth. The heels were kinda dominant at times last year, multiple weeks ranked number 1 and i think people are forgetting because they tailed off late..and they didn't lose much from that roster. Nicole Humphrey was solid but Kaleigh Harden is an upgrade over her and will see more time in that role. Not to mention they have another batch of talented freshmen from a top ranked 2023 class to fill the void.

To bring this back to Cuse, this team reminds me a little bit of UNC. in that they will be young but very talented and you have to play your A game to beat them. Might not be that big of a rebuilding year. I don't think they'll reach number 1 but they'll be a solid top half of the top 10
Let’s circle back after unc bc game. Btw, Comparing bc and unc defense isnt apples to apples as unc plays mostly man and bc switches it up…. Bww and nalls are absolutely excellent—two of the top 1 v 1 defenders in the game….but they can’t cover either Clark or lopinto without help.

And I agree Ashley Humphrey is elite and have said so on other threads. But the question is whether she will be allowed tk be the focal point of the offense. She was two years ago at Stanford and had a season for the ages. Last year she was asked to play a different role and had a very good year, but not spectacular….

Anyway…we shall see….
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:02 am
intheknow247 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:56 pm Confirmed that Vogelman is indeed injured - ACL. Only over a dozen ACLs in 3 years, what are they doing up there for training? Other notes, defense is brutal, Goodale and Chevarie returning helps but no real on ball defenders except for new freshman Benoit. Rest are traffic cones when getting dodged (hence they have to play ZONE). Sweitzer needs to have another big year but I think the ACC beats this group up this year.
Traffic cones? Could you possibly be any more disrespectful?
Yes...
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

SU-LAXAHOLIC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:54 pm Traffic cones? is this a joke? lets not forget Superia Clark is back with a season under her belt the defense was a strength last year granted Sweitzer bailed them out on multiple occassions but she is back as well. 7 out of 10 of their top scorers are back is replacing Tyrrell Carney and Cockerille is going to be a challenge for sure. With that said name a more complete player then Emma Ward? Scane and Coykendall are the only 2 id put on par with her. They have tremendous speed in the midfield with Smith Baxter and Markey granted Markey is coming off a knee injury but I think Baxter and Smith are incredibly underrated. Adamson and Kate Mashewske give them great depth on the DC and allows Adamson to focus more on offense oh yeah and lets not forget Emma Tyrrell who was 3rd in points on the team last year 5th year midfielder Savanah Sweitzer back. Very high on Freshman Ashlee Volpe and Joely Carmelli and would expect contributions from Soph Gracie Britton. Then lets sprinkle in some unknowns with the transfers who came in and Im feeling just fine about Syracuse this year
Traffic cones - yes - the tall orange things that are stationary. No - not a joke. A fan you may be, but lacrosse savvy you are not, because if you have watched that team play defense, Super Clark would not be your counter AT ALL. Sweitzer bailed that group out so many times it became embarassing.

Welcome to the Show BTW!
DMac

Post by DMac »

intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:29 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:02 am
intheknow247 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:56 pm Confirmed that Vogelman is indeed injured - ACL. Only over a dozen ACLs in 3 years, what are they doing up there for training? Other notes, defense is brutal, Goodale and Chevarie returning helps but no real on ball defenders except for new freshman Benoit. Rest are traffic cones when getting dodged (hence they have to play ZONE). Sweitzer needs to have another big year but I think the ACC beats this group up this year.
Traffic cones? Could you possibly be any more disrespectful?
Yes...
Was a rhetorical question.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

intheknow247 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:31 pm
SU-LAXAHOLIC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:54 pm Traffic cones? is this a joke? lets not forget Superia Clark is back with a season under her belt the defense was a strength last year granted Sweitzer bailed them out on multiple occassions but she is back as well. 7 out of 10 of their top scorers are back is replacing Tyrrell Carney and Cockerille is going to be a challenge for sure. With that said name a more complete player then Emma Ward? Scane and Coykendall are the only 2 id put on par with her. They have tremendous speed in the midfield with Smith Baxter and Markey granted Markey is coming off a knee injury but I think Baxter and Smith are incredibly underrated. Adamson and Kate Mashewske give them great depth on the DC and allows Adamson to focus more on offense oh yeah and lets not forget Emma Tyrrell who was 3rd in points on the team last year 5th year midfielder Savanah Sweitzer back. Very high on Freshman Ashlee Volpe and Joely Carmelli and would expect contributions from Soph Gracie Britton. Then lets sprinkle in some unknowns with the transfers who came in and Im feeling just fine about Syracuse this year
Traffic cones - yes - the tall orange things that are stationary. No - not a joke. A fan you may be, but lacrosse savvy you are not, because if you have watched that team play defense, Super Clark would not be your counter AT ALL. Sweitzer bailed that group out so many times it became embarassing.

Welcome to the Show BTW!
UPDATE - friend at Binghamton sent this note today after Cuse's scrimmage with Binghamton. Vandiver and Clark not starting. Vandiver was playing Dmid now and Clark didn't touch field until 4th quarter. Other notes, Emma Ward is only feeder - Meghan Tyrrell may be missed even mores for her distribution, especially to her right handed cutting sister. With Mashewske back, Adamson solely at attack. Other injuries from last spring have all returned except for Markey.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

News out of Syracuse. Ashlee Volpe, only true lefty on starting attack, done for season with a knee injury.

That’s 3 ACLs this year, with around a dozen over last 3 years. What’s the deal there?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:21 pm News out of Syracuse. Ashlee Volpe, only true lefty on starting attack, done for season with a knee injury.

That’s 3 ACLs this year, with around a dozen over last 3 years. What’s the deal there?
what the heck. Ashlee was one of the freshman i was excited to see play this year and would have been a huge asset to CUSE. Has to be the turf right?
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

This would be her 3rd acl absolutely horrible news reminds me of another incredible talent Morgan Alexander who I believe had 4 or 5 knee surgeries
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

A lot of kids come in college looking like high mileage luxury cars—they got issues from playing way too many games in MS and HS, then they get hit with an insane schedule of classes and practices. Too many coaches don’t rest the players enough and pile on volume to “make them tough.”

More studies out there link a lack of sleep (not getting 8 hours) and a higher incidence of knee injuries. IIRC it’s something like 8-10 times higher of a risk?

I know some commits there and I’d like to ask them once they get back on a break.
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

Over training has been a large focus at Syracuse for several seasons GPS tracking has been used for atleast the previous 2 seasons they have completely redone their training protocols to try to mitigate these types of injuries yet their top 2 recruits are out with knee injuries and it’s not limited to the women or just Syracuse
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

Over training has been a large focus at Syracuse for several seasons GPS tracking has been used for atleast the previous 2 seasons they have completely redone their training protocols to try to mitigate these types of injuries yet their top 2 recruits are out with knee injuries and it’s not limited to the women or just Syracuse
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

And a kid with 2 ACLs coming in is just about as high risk as it gets. Horrible. :cry:
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:59 am A lot of kids come in college looking like high mileage luxury cars—they got issues from playing way too many games in MS and HS, then they get hit with an insane schedule of classes and practices. Too many coaches don’t rest the players enough and pile on volume to “make them tough.”

More studies out there link a lack of sleep (not getting 8 hours) and a higher incidence of knee injuries. IIRC it’s something like 8-10 times higher of a risk?

I know some commits there and I’d like to ask them once they get back on a break.
I recently read a study that showed that kids who get less than 7 hours of sleep per night are 2x more likely to get injured.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:59 am A lot of kids come in college looking like high mileage luxury cars—they got issues from playing way too many games in MS and HS, then they get hit with an insane schedule of classes and practices. Too many coaches don’t rest the players enough and pile on volume to “make them tough.”

The problem isn’t in my opinion the college training. It’s the incredible mileage in middle school and high school. Clubs, showcases, tournaments etc. chasing the bid….
It’s a grueling treadmill.
I played three sports in high school and one in college…and my two kids had more hours of training, competition etc in just lacrosse by the end of high school than I had in my entire career….
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

And they played soccer and field hockey as well!!😳
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:18 am

The problem isn’t in my opinion the college training. It’s the incredible mileage in middle school and high school. Clubs, showcases, tournaments etc. chasing the bid….
I played three sports in high school and one in college…and my two kids had more hours of training, competition etc in just lacrosse by the end of high school than I had in my entire career….
But why is this such a recurring theme at Syracuse? No other school has come close to the number of ACLs they have experienced.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

intheknow247 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:20 am
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:18 am

But why is this such a recurring theme at Syracuse? No other school has come close to the number of ACLs they have experienced.
Hey—you’re the one whose handle is intheknow!! I’m just a a womenslaxxfan!!
laxr

Post by laxr »

As a mom to one sophmore daughter playing in college and a sophmore son playing in high school, and as a physical therapist - I can see many reasons for the high rate of ACL tears in female > males. Definitely lacrosse 24/7 can be problematic - but there's lots of other things to consider. We know movement literacy and playing all the sports while young and delaying specialization until age ~15 is preferred. We know the female training environment and support (ie prioritizing strategic weight training early for the girls like we do the boys) factors in. We know that coaching quality (and resources) for the younger athletes is still better in many cases for the boys. We know females need help in understanding their health through puberty with RED-S for example for everything that influences injury risk. Their hormonal health really matters. I know in working with young athletes we determine their unique anatomy and training / recovery needs. Some have hypermobility factors and need more joint control, some are naturally more stiff and need more mobility focus around their training and playing. Personally, we're really picky about the kids coaching and peer environment, my daughter played 3 sports in high school, my son 4, and they have always had strength and conditioning programming specific to them. I've picked the brains of many of the smart people in the sports performance world to give them the best learning around their strengths and weaknesses. (highly recommended Cressey Sport Performance btw) We've figured out my daughter needs more recovery to get her best adaptations, and my son needs less, but he needs more sleep relative to her. My daughter really knows her body, and is quick to share (the AT and strength/conditioning coach at school are both amazing) when something feels "off" before anything is potentially hurt. (we went through the stress fracture experience early high school that really opened our eyes) My son also benefitted from a structured sprint program around technique, she didn't need that. They've both taken creatine for years. All of this to say is that its on the athlete and family to best prepare to be more resilient athletes. Total injury prevention is impossible, but improving injury risk from all perspectives can help. My heart hurts for the kids experiencing something like an ACL tear recovery. Its all alot lol so I'm lucky its also my day job. ;)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”