UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Kleizaster »

Lax4love wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:57 pm Based on almost 4 years of observing UNC, I will take a shot at the defense. But first I am going to wade into the attack discussion. Matan is not going to be splitting time with anyone in my opinion--he scored more goals as a freshman last year than any frosh since 2011. He is one of the best athletes on the team and at a shifty 6'4", he is a beast to cover. And a beast to cover not just in games against Mercer and Fairfield, but also when the ACC season starts and there are huge, athletic defenders with long poles. That was one of the problems last year during the ACC season--the other attackmen could not get free of the ACC poles. Duffy is equally athletic and is one of the best freshman attack I have seen suit up for UNC. The combination of Duffy and Matan is going to be fun to watch, and keep in mind, Duffy can play the X/QB, too. The issue becomes how quickly Dom gets back into the groove. I believe Dom is the guy who may take minutes from McGovern if he can get it going after not playing for almost 2 years. And yes, next year's attack of Duffy, Matan and Dom may be one of the best in D1.

Last year the defense was statistically one of the best in the country but it was hard to gauge that watching live during the ACC season. I was surprised that the unit was 2nd or 3rd defensively nationally when you look at the scores from the ACC season. Nevertheless, this unit returns almost every key member, except for Matt Wright who transferred to Syracuse and Connor Maher who graduated. Down low, the two returning poles got some preseason love this year and they should--Barton is everything you want in an ACC defender (big, tall and athletic, genes do matter) and Geppert is not splashy but he is never out of position and no one can seem to score on him. The third pole will be either the freshman Thomann, who moves incredibly well but is coming off an injury or the senior Cooney, who looks like an ACC defender at 6'5" and 225 pounds.

The SSDM unit will be a real strength, even with the loss of Maher. Striano looks like a great addition as a grad transfer, and English, Hagerup and Frankenheimer are all great defenders and can push the ball up the field. English is actually a bit of throwback 2-way mid who has the ability to score, too.

With the departure of Wright, LSM is a bit of an unknown. Schwarz is very athletic and came to UNC with much fanfare (as did a number of the other juniors) so maybe this is his year to fulfill this promise. Perhaps the coaches felt so good about the SSDM unit that it was easy to move Breschi to LSM from SSDM (where he had played since he was a frosh). Either way, this position will be crucial to the team's success.

I am not very good at analyzing the goalie position but Krieg is now a senior and has been in the starter in the goal since his freshman year. Over the course of that run there have been some really solid games, and the issue for 2024 will be how well Krieg sees the ball. I think the coaches will not hesitate to give the sophomore Goode or even the freshman Wilson an opportunity if they think one can do better than Krieg--both have looked good in pre-season.

I am also not very knowledgeable about FO but obviously Tyeryar is exceptional at taking the ball to the goal but the issue will be how many times does he actually win the FO. The frosh Wambach (genes matter) looked very good in preseason will get an opportunity to prove himself, too.

In sum, my sense is that the success of the defense in 2024 is going to come down to goalie play and how well the LSMs play. In any event, this is the year that the heralded junior class needs to meet the expectations that many of us had when they arrived on campus. Good luck!
Excellent break down. As others have mentioned, the issue last year was the lack of offense. Having elite talents like Dom and Duffy added to the group is an automatic upgrade by default. The key will be how well one or both start the season. If Duffy or Dom start off hot, they will inevitably start drawing double teams as legit threats. That will free up some space in the midfield. Hopefully that will lead to some confidence within the group once they start seeing the ball hit the net. Matan is too talented not to be on the field. He has some of the best hands in the country in my opinion. I like Logan Mcgovern, i really do. Plays with the heart of a Lion but i'm really tempted to put Matan in over him. He just offers more in terms of talent and size and athleticism but as others have mentioned perhaps that Dom, Matan, Duffy attack is still a year away.

Team will cause some problems this year but i don't think they are ready just yet. Next year is the year to watch
random observer

Post by random observer »

Where is this talk of benching McGovern coming from? Matan and Dom are extremely talented and have high athletic ceilings, but this talk of far superior "talent" reeks of IL recruiting noise. McGovern isn't some unheralded guy who came out of nowhere -- he was just overlooked because he was a late bloomer (due to his medical condition) in an extremely front-loaded recruiting environment. When all was said and done, he was CT player of the year and the alpha on an offense that also featured Brian Minicus and Kevin Lindley.

Last year he was by far UNC's leading scorer and shot nearly 50% from the field. He wasn't Pat Kavanagh or Chris Gray, but his production was plenty good going up against #1 poles in the ACC on an offense that wasn't exactly loaded. And now with Duffy there, he will have the luxury of not facing those #1 poles.

Nonetheless, the logjam is a good problem to have, especially since both Matan and Dom can play midfield as well.
Last edited by random observer on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I'm with Random on this. I understand that UNC wasn't great last year so all things should be on the table, but are you seriously telling me that as a coach, you would bench a 6th year player who led the team in all offensive categories with 34 goals and 24 assists (and the next best players weren't even close)? That makes zero sense, other than, as Random points out, people think that because someone was anointed by Ty Xanders as a high school player, or because they look the part more than a player who is 5'8", that means they need to be on the field. Give me 10 players with the heart of Logan McGovern and I'll give you a natty.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ctbagataway wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:56 am I'm with Random on this. I understand that UNC wasn't great last year so all things should be on the table, but are you seriously telling me that as a coach, you would bench a 6th year player who led the team in all offensive categories with 34 goals and 24 assists (and the next best players weren't even close)? That makes zero sense, other than, as Random points out, people think that because someone was anointed by Ty Xanders as a high school player, or because they look the part more than a player who is 5'8", that means they need to be on the field. Give me 10 players with the heart of Logan McGovern and I'll give you a natty.
they're all just crib notes, but in the fall within a week or so thompson asked breschi if they could just give the keys to the offense to duffy. and supposedly proceeded to. don't know how that's going, but if mcgovern can play off of him, and there's no reason to believe he can't, the likelihood is he's out there. thought i saw matan doing some rotating with another attack last year? they'd have to fit lefties and righties depending, but a matan/petro rotation would look to be the logical one.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Makes sense. I think McGovern would be better as a complementary player than the primary driver.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Looks like no video for either the Mercer or Fairfield games. Because of course. Inexcusable in 2024.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

According to IL's Matt Kinnear Owen Duffy took a nasty hit at the end of the 1st quarter and doesn't look to have reentered the game.

5-3 UNC at halftime.

Both team's goalies save percentages at 70%+

Barton, McGovern, Tyeryar, Levy, Schwarz with goals
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

How is Petro’s passive position oriented defense looking?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Duffy back in the game.
Finster

Post by Finster »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:56 pm Duffy back in the game.

0-8 in his first game will humble a kid fast. Probably will make him super hungry next game out. Hes an exceptional athlete. Watch for him next few games.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Does anyone know when Wellford will return to action?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

After watching the film, I am pretty pumped for Owen Duffy. He did go 0 for 8 with only 1 assist. But he had a bunch of feeds that didn't get finished. He could go to the rack whenever he wanted. He took a big hit, then came back like 5 mins later. Seems tough. I am high on him. This reminds me of Spallina's situation last year when he went like 1/9 in his first game vs Vermont. Duffy will figure it out, and he'll be a good one.

Duffy, Matan and McGovern started the game. Petro ran first and some second midfield but also found himself at attack. Looks like they were playing with combinations because at one point it was Duffy, Matan and Petro on the same attack line. I think they'll continue to figure out lines and who meshes with who. One thing notable is Matan looks a lot more mobile and assertive this year. I think it'll be hard to keep him off the field.

#18 Preis is going to be a beast. Only a freshman but he's 6'4 and can move. 2 handed and seems like a prototypical ACC midfielder. Same for Dewey Egan, his transition to midfield will only continue to get better. I saw him as 12 yards or less, stand-still shooter, but it looks like his shot on the run and time and room are developing. Tillman is still fast and athletic, can invert or attack from up top. Didn't have the best shooting day vs Mercer but he'll get his. Those 3 + Petro are going to be a solid first line. Second line looks like Schwarz, Ryan Levy, and Wellford/Petro. Since they have about 7 midfielders, they were mismatching all of their lines. DeMarco did not play, but once he's back that'd be an 8th middie that will get quality time.

Faceoff is in good hands with Tyeryar back and Wambach as his understudy. Wambach really impressed me with his exits and while the ball was in his stick. He's a good one. Tyeryar is still making his claim for 2way middie, that kid can just score. Neither of his 2 goals were off clean faceoff wins.

Defensively, Thomann, Barton, and Geppert got the starts. Kreig in net. Lsm was Schwarz and Breschi. Schwarz looks improved from last year, Breschi looks okay. UNC has 21 poles, and the 2nd LSM is the head coaches nephew who converted from short stick. I think they have someone on the bench who can make an impact. Top 3 Dmids were English, Frankenheimmer, and Striano. Frankenheimmer looks like he's improved a lot as well. All 3 look very capable.

Next up is Fairfield, and then Hop after.
molo

Post by molo »

Is Nick Petro a poke or close dman? Any pt for him?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:56 am Is Nick Petro a poke or close dman? Any pt for him?
Tough to tell since UNC has every pole listed as a "defensemen" on their site. I believe Petro was recruited as an LSM/D, I do not remember seeing him on any of the film. I could be wrong, though.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:56 am Is Nick Petro a poke or close dman? Any pt for him?
just about all nc$$ teams provide a box score if you go to their schedule. it will list everyone that stepped on the field.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Speaking of the box score, it was good to see Ryan Levy tally two goals. It'll be helpful for the Heels to get points from such contributors while they work out the attack and mid combinations. Let's hope that Tillman can recapture the spark that made him a huge factor running out of the box down the stretch of the '21 season. IL's write up of the Mercer game (https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rcer/62571) characterizes the offense as a WIP, which is to be expected at this point given a new OC and so many new faces who will be counted on to play significant roles this season. Nevertheless, the signs are encouraging.
Finish Strong
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

ctbagataway wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:03 am Makes sense. I think McGovern would be better as a complementary player than the primary driver.
At Bryant McGovern was a complementary player with Mark Orourke and Ben Abladian. He had more assists then goals and under 20 goals I believe his last yr there. Abladian and Orourke had over 40 each. He was excellent as a complimentary player and could do it this yr with Duffy there.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Fairfield game @ Georgetown Prep has been moved to 2pm due to inclement weather. Anyone from here going to be at this one?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Work in progress offense having a much better game against Fairfield. UNC up 14-6 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Duffy with 3g3a. Nine different goal scorers. Wambach looks to be taking the bulk of the faceoffs and has won 13/15.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tillman had real points last season. Thus far this season, he's had substantially less. Obviously it's early in the season but... Any conjecture as to what's going on?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”