Future of WLax Rules

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan22

Re: Future of WLax Rules

Post by laxfan22 »

I mean I’m still not sure how 10 a stew doesn’t result in less women playing lax in HS and in college and still haven’t heard how this proposal makes wlax any safer.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxfan22 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:09 pm I mean I’m still not sure how 10 a stew doesn’t result in less women playing lax in HS and in college and still haven’t heard how this proposal makes wlax any safer.
If their are smaller rosters, maybe more schools add women’s lax!!
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:09 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:09 pm I mean I’m still not sure how 10 a stew doesn’t result in less women playing lax in HS and in college and still haven’t heard how this proposal makes wlax any safer.
Ha that’s a stretch. I had a youth team playing 10 v 10 today due to not enough players on the other team. My take away was that it’s a lot more field to cover and therefore a lot more running. Some of my girls really struggled with it.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

My thoughts on 10v10

1) I don't think rosters are impacted at by rule change. In fact, with more ground to cover, you could argue that there will be more girls actually getting playing time. Remember many more kids regularly play in men's games vs. women's game. (yes I know it is much more fatiguing playing in pads)

2) I think this will open more space and create more opportunities for skilled offenses. I expect the defense to become much faster as a result. I think this creates more opps for quicker defenders and bigger slower defenders will see roster opportunities limited.

3) I can see this help grow the game at lower levels like high school, middle school and areas where lax isn't big yet.

4) Probably most importantly. All of this assumes that restraining lines are kept where they are. If they move to center line restraining line like AU, it completely changes the game even more.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

I disagree with a lot of the points but no one mentioned that it would be safer which I thought was the point of the proposal. In fact I’d fully expect that the stick would be used even more if the field is more open. Without the slide, the stick check would be even more necessary to recover when beat on defense.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

laxfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:31 am I disagree with a lot of the points but no one mentioned that it would be safer which I thought was the point of the proposal. In fact I’d fully expect that the stick would be used even more if the field is more open. Without the slide, the stick check would be even more necessary to recover when beat on defense.
Bingo! 6v6 would widen the gap between the more skilled teams and the less talented teams. UNC has 3 losses on the year and sees the catch up being played by other teams. You will absolutely see more stick fouls as defense try to slow down dodgers.

The other interesting thing is that going to 6v6 on one end is the loss of diversity amongst offenses. Gone will be NW signature style and Cuses signature style of play. With all that space it’s going to be a foot race to the goal on every play. The 7th player on offense is unique part of the game and is the lynchpin of how each offense plays.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

PhanLax99 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:48 am
laxfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:31 am I disagree with a lot of the points but no one mentioned that it would be safer which I thought was the point of the proposal. In fact I’d fully expect that the stick would be used even more if the field is more open. Without the slide, the stick check would be even more necessary to recover when beat on defense.
Bingo! 6v6 would widen the gap between the more skilled teams and the less talented teams. UNC has 3 losses on the year and sees the catch up being played by other teams. You will absolutely see more stick fouls as defense try to slow down dodgers.

The other interesting thing is that going to 6v6 on one end is the loss of diversity amongst offenses. Gone will be NW signature style and Cuses signature style of play. With all that space it’s going to be a foot race to the goal on every play. The 7th player on offense is unique part of the game and is the lynchpin of how each offense plays.
I think it would make the game marginally safer by effectively eliminating zones and thereby greatly reducing blindside slides. However, I think there are other ways to make the game safer, namely constantly enforcing rules already on the books.

If the ultimate goal is to make game safer, easiest way is to move retaining line to midfield -- this decrowds the field and eliminate lots of blindside/bad angle checking. Completely disagree with this though, since I think the complexities of the clear is probably the BEST part of women's lax now.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Watched a D3 game this weekend. School only had 12 able players, with 3 injured. 15 players for a College program? That is more likely going to lead to a cancellation of the sport at that school than a growing of the game.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:24 am
Watched a D3 game this weekend. School only had 12 able players, with 3 injured. 15 players for a College program? That is more likely going to lead to a cancellation of the sport at that school than a growing of the game.
Reality is that women's lax is a relatively cheap way to gain Title IX compliance. Big rosters and not a lot of equipment to buy (at least compared to other sports). If you are an AD need to add a women's sport and have to choose between lax, softball, crew and water polo, its a pretty easy decision.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I like the wlax game just the way it is, it needs no changes. If making it a safer game is the issue/concern, as has been noted here, simply enforce the rules. Voi la, safer game. I believe if the truth be told, the girls don't much care about a safer game (moms and dads do), see AU wlax, and I absolutely do believe that ultimately that is where the wlax game is going to end up...my favorite stolen description, the inexorable march to the men's game. After all is said and done you can thank the coveted casual fan who doesn't know schidt from shinola about wlax, has no understanding of the why of the rules, and no appreciation for how the game is played...it just has to be played like the boys do and the keepers of the game will cave to them with the cry of "growing the game" (we'll sell out our game to grow it).
I don't believe there will be one less girl who plays lacrosse because it's a 10v10 game (if it goes there). Wlax has become a fantastic game (wasn't always...no disrespect intended) that girls want to play and the number of girls on the field is not going change that. The 10v10, no shooting space, no FPS brings huge changes to wlax.....see what it did to CN in the AU league. If I'm a gambler I'm bettin' we'll see a very close version of AU wlax within five years and I feel as if that's a stretch, likely closer to two.
JMHO...my two cents worth.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:42 pm I like the wlax game just the way it is, it needs no changes. If making it a safer game is the issue/concern, as has been noted here, simply enforce the rules. Voi la, safer game. I believe if the truth be told, the girls don't much care about a safer game (moms and dads do), see AU wlax, and I absolutely do believe that ultimately that is where the wlax game is going to end up...my favorite stolen description, the inexorable march to the men's game. After all is said and done you can thank the coveted casual fan who doesn't know schidt from shinola about wlax, has no understanding of the why of the rules, and no appreciation for how the game is played...it just has to be played like the boys do and the keepers of the game will cave to them with the cry of "growing the game" (we'll sell out our game to grow it).
I don't believe there will be one less girl who plays lacrosse because it's a 10v10 game (if it goes there). Wlax has become a fantastic game (wasn't always...no disrespect intended) that girls want to play and the number of girls on the field is not going change that. The 10v10, no shooting space, no FPS brings huge changes to wlax.....see what it did to CN in the AU league. If I'm a gambler I'm bettin' we'll see a very close version of AU wlax within five years and I feel as if that's a stretch, likely closer to two.
Perfectly said. Nothing to add…
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:42 pm If I'm a gambler I'm bettin' we'll see a very close version of AU wlax within five years and I feel as if that's a stretch, likely closer to two.
It will be a shame if that happens. Absolutely no need to change the women's game - it's a much better watch than the men's. I just hope my daughter is done playing before these "inevitable' changes occur.
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:42 pm I like the wlax game just the way it is, it needs no changes. If making it a safer game is the issue/concern, as has been noted here, simply enforce the rules. Voi la, safer game. I believe if the truth be told, the girls don't much care about a safer game (moms and dads do), see AU wlax, and I absolutely do believe that ultimately that is where the wlax game is going to end up...my favorite stolen description, the inexorable march to the men's game. After all is said and done you can thank the coveted casual fan who doesn't know schidt from shinola about wlax, has no understanding of the why of the rules, and no appreciation for how the game is played...it just has to be played like the boys do and the keepers of the game will cave to them with the cry of "growing the game" (we'll sell out our game to grow it).
Why did the 10v10,no shooting space….ect AU rules work? It had the SKILLED athletes that can play that game. Now take those rules and apply them to the entirety of NC$$ woman's lacrosse. What do you see happening? Helmets and gloves.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Bart wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:58 pm
Why did the 10v10,no shooting space….ect AU rules work? It had the SKILLED athletes that can play that game. Now take those rules and apply them to the entirety of NC$$ woman's lacrosse. What do you see happening? Helmets and gloves.
Why is it that every time we discuss rule changes - helmets and gloves are immediately brought into the question?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:22 pm... Do you deny you reported my post? Why continue to do that and then in the next breath level a much more extreme personal attack at me? You are a big boy. I am too. Fight your own battles. Or are you using the report button as a sword and not a shield?
Bill. I'm right here. I'm reporting your post. I have the whistle. No personal attacks...
Bart

Post by Bart »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:33 pm
Bart wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:58 pm
Why is it that every time we discuss rule changes - helmets and gloves are immediately brought into the question?
Immediately? Ok…….

Why put it out there? Cause if you try to implement the AU type rules, where even the most skilled players hit people with shots, across the spectrum of NCAA lacrosse you’re going to have to protect the players somehow. IMO, goggles and fouls and penalties ain’t gonna do it. So my suggestion would be to ditch the idea of AU type rules on shooting spece.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:09 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:24 am
Reality is that women's lax is a relatively cheap way to gain Title IX compliance. Big rosters and not a lot of equipment to buy (at least compared to other sports). If you are an AD need to add a women's sport and have to choose between lax, softball, crew and water polo, its a pretty easy decision.
D3 Title IX is different than D1 or D2. No scholarship monies/assistance. You have to make a case that the same amount is spent per student athlete per sex per enrollment ratio. Pretty hard to do in D3. It isnt numbers of sports, but number of athletes based on the ratio of M/W students, so it is very hard to check. Title IX is not enforced by the NCAA only by the government....sort of like the ADA before it rolled into Building codes. You have to sue to get enforcement...

that is my understanding, if I am wrong, please let me know.
njbill

Post by njbill »

admin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:51 pm
njbill wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:22 pm... Do you deny you reported my post? Why continue to do that and then in the next breath level a much more extreme personal attack at me? You are a big boy. I am too. Fight your own battles. Or are you using the report button as a sword and not a shield?
Bill. I'm right here. I'm reporting your post. I have the whistle. No personal attacks...
Sigh. As I said, here we go again.

I actually don't know what you mean by "I'm right here. I'm reporting your post." For a long time you have said you don't generally read posts on the women's board, but only act if someone reports a post using the report button. If you have changed your practice and are now reading posts on the board and sua sponte (without a report from a poster) issuing warnings, etc. on your own, I think board members would be interested in knowing that. I certainly would.

If that is what you are now doing, I will note that you didn't warn CO for twice calling me a liar. Pretty serious personal attack under any standard. If you did, in fact, read through the relevant posts, concluded mine warranted a warning and that his calling me a liar did not, that's seems like a double standard which is a problem in my view.

If you want to tell me CO hasn't reported any of my posts recently, I would find that hard to believe, but I will take you at your word. I note that he has not denied he reported my posts.

If, however, as I suspect, it's the same old, same old, and you only act when a post is reported to you with the report button, then, yeah, we are back to square one. I don't privately report posts. CO does. Two years ago you said posters had to keep their sides of the road clean in order to be entitled to relief from you. His road has consistently been "dirty" when it comes to his dealings with me for two years now. He has leveled dozens of personal attacks at me over that period of time. Most recently he has called me a liar twice. Yet, he gets relief and never gets called on the carpet.

Two years ago, I said you were applying a double standard. It appears that is still the case.

I can handle CO on my own, but not if my hands are handcuffed behind my back, and he is permitted to whale away at me without restriction or consequence. That ain't right.

Unless you tell me to the contrary, I will assume CO did report my posts, and, yes, in my opinion he is using the report button as a sword, not as a shield. I think that would be clear to any reasonable observer.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:17 pm
admin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:51 pm
Sigh. As I said, here we go again.

I actually don't know what you mean by "I'm right here. I'm reporting your post." For a long time you have said you don't generally read posts on the women's board, but only act if someone reports a post using the report button. If you have changed your practice and are now reading posts on the board and sua sponte (without a report from a poster) issuing warnings, etc. on your own, I think board members would be interested in knowing that. I certainly would.

If that is what you are now doing, I will note that you didn't warn CO for twice calling me a liar. Pretty serious personal attack under any standard. If you did, in fact, read through the relevant posts, concluded mine warranted a warning and that his calling me a liar did not, that's seems like a double standard which is a problem in my view.

If you want to tell me CO hasn't reported any of my posts recently, I would find that hard to believe, but I will take you at your word. I note that he has not denied he reported my posts.

If, however, as I suspect, it's the same old, same old, and you only act when a post is reported to you with the report button, then, yeah, we are back to square one. I don't privately report posts. CO does. Two years ago you said posters had to keep their sides of the road clean in order to be entitled to relief from you. His road has consistently been "dirty" when it comes to his dealings with me for two years now. He has leveled dozens of personal attacks at me over that period of time. Most recently he has called me a liar twice. Yet, he gets relief and never gets called on the carpet.

Two years ago, I said you were applying a double standard. It appears that is still the case.

I can handle CO on my own, but not if my hands are handcuffed behind my back, and he is permitted to whale away at me without restriction or consequence. That ain't right.

Unless you tell me to the contrary, I will assume CO did report my posts, and, yes, in my opinion he is using the report button as a sword, not as a shield. I think that would be clear to any reasonable observer.
Perhaps CO and Admin are the same…. 😂😂😂
njbill

Post by njbill »

Bart wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:45 pm Perhaps CO and Admin are the same…. 😂😂😂
I was thinking . . . . Better bite my tongue. I'm already on thin ice. :lol:

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”