2022 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VALaxer

Monster Matchup Monday

Post by VALaxer »

After a great weekend of action, some big games on tap tonight with some of the top teams:

:arrow: Woodson travels to Langley in a rematch of a state semi-final from a year ago.

:arrow: Yorktown goes to back Fairfax once again to try to complete the hat-trick at West Springfield.

:arrow: John Champe travels to Riverside in a big Class 5/6 showdown.

Other action sees Colgan go to Falls Church and Colonial Forge open their regular season vs Stafford.

Anyone dare to make some picks?
VALaxer

Re: 2022 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:15 am
Did Marshall end up playing Cape Henry?
CHC won 16-2
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

My updated Top 15 for class 6A after the first week of action. Some movement last week, and likely more coming this week..

1) Yorktown
2) Langley
3) Battlefield
4) West Springfield
5) Robinson
6) Madison
7) John Champe
8) Oakton
9) Washington & Liberty
10) Woodson
11) Colonial Forge
12) Freedom SR
13) South County
14) West Potomac
15) South Lakes
UrsineCanine

Re: Monster Matchup Monday

Post by UrsineCanine »

VALaxer wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:05 pm After a great weekend of action, some big games on tap tonight with some of the top teams:

:arrow: Woodson travels to Langley in a rematch of a state semi-final from a year ago.

:arrow: Yorktown goes to back Fairfax once again to try to complete the hat-trick at West Springfield.

Other action sees Colgan go to Falls Church and Colonial Forge open their regular season vs Stafford.

Langley had running clock and a goalie card(?), when the NFHS feed died.

Yorktown/WS was a thriller... WS ties with one second left, but Ytown pulls it out in OT 8-7.

Riverside went to Champe, not sure I caught the score correctly, but I think Riverside comfortably.

CForge had their game cancelled due to no refs available.

No idea about Colgan and FC.
BuckyLou

Re: Monster Matchup Monday

Post by BuckyLou »

VALaxer wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:05 pm After a great weekend of action, some big games on tap tonight with some of the top teams:

Made the trip down to Springfield tonight to see what has to be the leader in the clubhouse for VHSL GLAX game of the year so far, as the top-ranked Yorktown Patriots traveled to West Springfield to take on the Spartans. A raucous crowd of what must've been a few hundred was on hand for this heavyweight fight that did not disappoint at the Spartans (new?) athletic complex.

The first half saw the two teams literally trade goals back and forth, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, and 4-4, with the Spartans picking up a loose ball and throwing it in in the final minute of the half to take a 5-4 halftime lead. Sparty quickly got one at the start of the 2nd half to open a 6-4 lead, but Yorktown took advantage of some dominance on the draw circle to rattle off a 3 goal run in less than 5 minutes to open up a 7-6 lead. #5 Burke for Yorktown and #23 Sturtevant for WS were keying the offenses for both. Then the Buckster got to witness what the Generals parents told me about last week, as the Spartan goalkeeper #18 Thaler shut the door the rest of the way, despite the Patriots controlling time of possession, in what had to have been a performance that pushed 20 saves in the game. The game got chippy a bit midway through the 2nd half with the loud crowd and the teams traded pairs of YC, but neither was able to capitalize on the woman-up advantage as fortunately for the Pats, their frosh goalie #30 Carcillo made a couple timely saves herself on the few good shots Sparty did get to hold the 7-6 lead until late.

The Patriots got the ball back with about 3:30 left and Coach Tran called timeout to set up the stall and try to run out the clock. Unfortunately, she forgot the cardinal rule of stalls and prevent defenses, that if you switch to them too early, you leave the door open as they are hard to maintain for a long period of time (see Atlanta Falcons). It looked like a brilliant coaching move for the first 2:30 as Spartans chased Patriots all over the field, but with the clock ticking under a minute, the Spartans got the turnover they needed and pushed it up field til a whistle stopped the clock with 7.6 seconds left and allowed the Spartans to set up a play to score a dramatic goal and the horn and give the crowd some bonus lacrosse.

In the first extra period, YT turned over West Springfield after the Spartans won the draw and settled in on their attack, but could not get one by the Sparty goalie in the 3:00 period and both teams changed ends for the 2nd OT. Patriots won the draw got into offense, but couldn't get anything going for the first minute, until the dreaded center hash free position was awarded which the Patriot shooter was able to get in and send the bus back to Arlington happy with the 8-7 double OT win.

Worth the price of admission and even the can of soda at the snack bar. A very high level game between two teams we could see play again in May that saw some outstanding lax for early in the season and could have gone either way.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

More Monday scores:

Falls Church (H) 14 - Colgan 13
Riverside 19 - John Champe (H) 2
Langley (H) 14 - Woodson 5
VALaxer

Re: Midweek Madness

Post by VALaxer »

More big games on the schedule tonight, likely in the rain:

Yorktown @ Dominion
Madison @ Robinson
Colonial Forge @ Patriot

Lot's of other top teams in action as well:

Westfield @ Langley
Wakefield @ Oakton
West Springfield @ TJST
John Champe @ Broad Run
Herndon @ Centreville
Washington & Liberty @ Mt. Vernon
Hayfield @ West Potomac
Alexandria City @ Annandale
Marshall @ Falls Church
T.Kornheiser

Post by T.Kornheiser »

Lines in parentheses, are for news matter only, and should not be used for actual wagering. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
VALaxer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:25 pm More big games on the schedule tonight, likely in the rain:

Yorktown @ Dominion (-1)
Madison (-8.5) @ Robinson
Colonial Forge @ Patriot (-4)

Westfield @ Langley(-15)
Wakefield @ Oakton (why is this scheduled?)
West Springfield (-19) @ TJST
John Champe (-11) @ Broad Run
Herndon @ Centreville (-7)
Washington & Liberty (-16) @ Mt. Vernon
Hayfield @ West Potomac (-18)
Alexandria City @ Annandale (-11)
Marshall @ Falls Church (-9)
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

T.Kornheiser wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:48 pm Lines in parentheses, are for news matter only, and should not be used for actual wagering. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
VALaxer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:25 pm More big games on the schedule tonight, likely in the rain:

Yorktown @ Dominion (-1)
Madison (-8.5) @ Robinson
Colonial Forge @ Patriot (-4)

Westfield @ Langley(-15)
Wakefield @ Oakton (why is this scheduled?)
West Springfield (-19) @ TJST
John Champe (-11) @ Broad Run
Herndon @ Centreville (-7)
Washington & Liberty (-16) @ Mt. Vernon
Hayfield @ West Potomac (-18)
Alexandria City @ Annandale (-11)
Marshall @ Falls Church (-9)
Give me Dominion, Robo and Forge with the covers.
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

Yorktown up 5-4 at the half in the rain at Dominion.
UrsineCanine

Post by UrsineCanine »

Colonial Forge 12-7 over Patriot. (Might be off slightly, watching stream, no score graphics)

Was closer than that score would suggest, Patriot had a goal to pull within one waved off for a dangerous shot, and when Forge answered to go up three with about 3 mins left, things got a little looser trying to force a turnover.
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

BuckyLou wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:03 pm Yorktown up 5-4 at the half in the rain at Dominion.

Yorktown 9-8 over Dominion in the rain.
T.Kornheiser

Post by T.Kornheiser »

Madison 20. Robinson 10

If you took Madison giving 8.5, you are a big winner!
T.Kornheiser

Post by T.Kornheiser »

Langley 19. Westfield 8

West Potomac 17. Hayfield 2

John Champe 14. Broad Run 7

Neither Langley, West Potomac or JC covered the spread
Coyote-K

Post by Coyote-K »

T.Kornheiser wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:47 pm Langley 19. Westfield 8

Broad Run gave John Champe a scare early on down only 1 at the half (4-5).
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

Coyote-K wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:16 pm

The way it is looking early on for teams qualifying for states

Region A will have Cosby and Manchester

Region B will have Battlefield and John Champe

Region C will have Robinson and West Springfield

Region D will have Yorktown and Langley

After that, I could see five of these teams possibly winning it all. I do not see one clear winner like we all predicted last year

Champe has several good field players.

Battlefield has huge depth and a top notch goalie (look for her to be a difference maker in several close games)

Robinson is spread evenly across the field

West Springfield has one of the top public school recruits and another top notch goalie

Yorktown has depth and many strong players

Langley has depth and is well rounded with some top players
UrsineCanine

Post by UrsineCanine »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:40 pm
Coyote-K wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:16 pm

After that, I could see five of these teams possibly winning it all. I do not see one clear winner like we all predicted last year

Battlefield has huge depth and a top notch goalie (look for her to be a difference maker in several close games)

West Springfield has one of the top public school recruits and another top notch goalie

A little Region 6B tidbit... The way the bracket works (at least it did for Fall and Winter), Colonial Forge goes on the road to #2 seed out of the Cedar Run District (i.e. the District with Champe and Battlefield), with that winner on the road to Cardinal #1 (Colgan is the favorite there), and then likely on the road against Cedar Run #1. So, the toughest first round opponent (Forge won 6B last year), and then the toughest second round opponent, and then on the road for the Regional Final.

While Champe and Battlefield have a home and home this year, only the second game (@ Champe) is considered a "District" game. The Cedar Run District assigns its #1 seed in Regionals to its regular season winner (the rest are decided in the post season tourney). So, if both teams run the table otherwise in the District (and it is way too early to predict that), that game (4/28) would set the teams on very different paths to States.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Good post as to where things may be now, but there is a lot of season left. I would also not sleep on Madison, Oakton or Colonial Forge in their respective regions.
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

VALaxer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:20 pm

Good post as to where things may be now, but there is a lot of season left. I would also not sleep on Madison, Oakton or Colonial Forge in their respective regions.
I absolutely agree with those three, plus a few more let South County, Washington-Liberty could surprise some, and Freedom
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:30 pm
VALaxer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:20 pm

I absolutely agree with those three, plus a few more let South County, Washington-Liberty could surprise some, and Freedom
I know people are always high on Regions C and D, but in all honesty, the 6B Region has some of the best goalies in the DMV area. Champe is a senior and always solid, Freedom has a senior going D1 and is phenomenal, Patriot has a junior going D1 and is one of the most team oriented players I have seen, Battlefield has a sophomore that is, in my opinion, the best in the state, and Colgan has a sophomore that is very strong as well, but she currently has a concussion.

I’m not knocking the other goalies in all of the other regions, but this is one of the strongest groups of goalies that I have seen in the area in a long time and they deserve some recognition.

Last year, the Patriot and Battlefield goalies made the DC National School Girls Tournament together and won their bracket. They were the only two public school goalies to make the DC team (DC chose not to take any girls that were already committed last year).

Most of your top notch goalies get scooped up by the private schools, but with stronger play in the VHSL, they are starting to stay and get some big rewards with playing in the next level

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”