Yardwork

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Yardwork

Post by Brooklyn »

Not quite sure how to approach this but here it goes ...

I may have mentioned somewhere else that avian flu is becoming a big problem here in the Upper Midwest. Today I saw a report where it has now flowed East. Highly pathogenic flu spreads from wild birds and it does so very easily. Locally, people here in Lake Wobegone have been advised to refrain from putting water into bird baths and to avoid putting out bird foods so as to discourage birds from entering your gardens and infecting pets or domestic farm birds (if birds do use your bird bath, disinfect it immediately). In case any birds are found in your area, kindly advised your local ag authorities ASAP.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Son just started a garden, he wants to have a farm all of the sudden. Open to any and all suggestions. We're just working off what we can find online. Winter vegetables are less robust as options so it's like swss chard, mustard (gross son!) etc .

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

I like it!!
Fresh herbs are really nice to have, my parsley (couple of different types) is still growing and it's not as if there are ideal growing conditions here at this time of year. Fresh parsley adds quite a bit to many dishes. Brussel sprouts will grow in cooler weather too.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:42 pm I like it!!
Fresh herbs are really nice to have, my parsley (couple of different types) is still growing and it's not as if there are ideal growing conditions here at this time of year. Fresh parsley adds quite a bit to many dishes. Brussel sprouts will grow in cooler weather too.
Parsley is a good one we both like.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Great idea FFG. I have my own little herb garden(s) and I purchased a bunch of planters similar to below, and put them on my front porch. Drilled holes in the bottom, filled with some rocks, fill dirt, peat, and some gardening soil. Put two to three different herbs in each of them. You can then move them around to chase the sun or get them out of heavy storms. Dill, Basil, Cilantro, Lemon Balm, Parsley, Oregano, Rosemary, and Lavender are my goto's.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:14 pm Great idea FFG. I have my own little herb garden(s) and I purchased a bunch of planters similar to below, and put them on my front porch. Drilled holes in the bottom, filled with some rocks, fill dirt, peat, and some gardening soil. Put two to three different herbs in each of them. You can then move them around to chase the sun or get them out of heavy storms. Dill, Basil, Cilantro, Lemon Balm, Parsley, Oregano, Rosemary, and Lavender are my goto's.

We have dill in there as well. I think he mentioned lavendar, my wife took him to the store when he bought the items so I didn't get the full run down.

My son suddenly wants to own a farm though he said "I bet land costs are too high now though" so I may be rubbing off on him a little...

That section had these bushes that were super difficult to get out I pulled over a week or two last spring so it's a nice section to have a little garden. We had one in another spot carved out of a paved area previously and he grew jalepeno and bell peppers though the latter never grew very big or robust. And insects would kill 70% of them. This should be better. Hoping to do some fruits too come spring time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:14 pm Great idea FFG. I have my own little herb garden(s) and I purchased a bunch of planters similar to below, and put them on my front porch. Drilled holes in the bottom, filled with some rocks, fill dirt, peat, and some gardening soil. Put two to three different herbs in each of them. You can then move them around to chase the sun or get them out of heavy storms. Dill, Basil, Cilantro, Lemon Balm, Parsley, Oregano, Rosemary, and Lavender are my goto's.

Very nice, fresh herbs from the garden are real a treat.
You gotta get some chives going on. Had some scrambled eggs with cream cheese and chives yesterday....very tasty, a real nice flavor. Mix 'em in the cream cheese along with a little scallion and bacon on a bagel. Good stuff.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:36 pm

We have dill in there as well. I think he mentioned lavendar, my wife took him to the store when he bought the items so I didn't get the full run down.

My son suddenly wants to own a farm though he said "I bet land costs are too high now though" so I may be rubbing off on him a little...

That section had these bushes that were super difficult to get out I pulled over a week or two last spring so it's a nice section to have a little garden. We had one in another spot carved out of a paved area previously and he grew jalepeno and bell peppers though the latter never grew very big or robust. And insects would kill 70% of them. This should be better. Hoping to do some fruits too come spring time.
Your lawn looks like you’ve been keeping livestock. Does this garden section get sufficient sunlight to grow anything well?

I can grow thyme, sage and tarragon as perennials in my garden, so you should have no issue. Add some rosemary and lavender and room for basil in summer, if you have the light. What’s your rabbit situation there?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:36 pm

Your lawn looks like you’ve been keeping livestock. Does this garden section get sufficient sunlight to grow anything well?

I can grow thyme, sage and tarragon as perennials in my garden, so you should have no issue. Add some rosemary and lavender and room for basil in summer, if you have the light. What’s your rabbit situation there?
I may have to re sod it but for now I just need to borrow a tiller. Mostly just a combination of drainage from a slight slope combined with my son playing a lot of football and lacrosse in the back yard and an ungodly amount of rain in Dec. Way beyond typical for the month. Sunlight remains to be seen, the bushes there were quite healthy but this will be different. That fence is on the south side of the property so the sunlight in that area is more afternoon or lunch on than morning. Not sure if that makes a difference, we will find out.

Don't think there are rabbits to my knowledge, we're tucked in between an 84ac park and a commercial district a few blocks in each direction.

This fence is on the north side of the yard you can see from here, opposite where he put in the garden (with a little help)

So you cant see it becuase of grill and deck fence but to the left of the shed effectively (and just "up" or east of it) is the new garden if this shows more of the back yard.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Afternoon sun is much more productive as it’s longer and warmer. I’m in the city of Buffalo and there’s no end to the mofo rabbit population. Foxes and occasional coyotes seen too. Hawks help with the rabbits. Rabbits are natures snack food. You surely must have some, especially close to a park. Have your son trap them and learn to prep them for dinner.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:28 pm Afternoon sun is much more productive as it’s longer and warmer. I’m in the city of Buffalo and there’s no end to the mofo rabbit population. Foxes and occasional coyotes seen too. Hawks help with the rabbits. Rabbits are natures snack food. You surely must have some, especially close to a park. Have your son trap them and learn to prep them for dinner.
Good call
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Herbs are a great idea, and many can be perennial. Parsley is definitely cold tolerant. In terms of other veggies: carrots, greens, onions and garlic all tend to be good to plant early as well - not sure about this early in Atlanta, but ours are growing in Texas - they even survived our cold snap that had us in the teens for a couple of days.

If you have the space, you can also get him started on seeds - to be transplanted to the garden once the frost risk is over. Your regional AG college should have great resources - certainly planting guides etc.... that are very specific to Atlanta, even down to which side of the city you live on.

When it warms up, get a jalapeño plant - they actually produce better peppers if they are abused!

Very few things are more satisfying than eating food you grew yourself!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:48 am
Herbs are a great idea, and many can be perennial. Parsley is definitely cold tolerant. In terms of other veggies: carrots, greens, onions and garlic all tend to be good to plant early as well - not sure about this early in Atlanta, but ours are growing in Texas - they even survived our cold snap that had us in the teens for a couple of days.

If you have the space, you can also get him started on seeds - to be transplanted to the garden once the frost risk is over. Your regional AG college should have great resources - certainly planting guides etc.... that are very specific to Atlanta, even down to which side of the city you live on.

When it warms up, get a jalapeño plant - they actually produce better peppers if they are abused!

We’d done jalepenos and bell peppers in another smaller section in the past. Bell peppers didn’t work out too well but Japs were nice and hot. Like all
The other veggies suggestions but we’re advised not to plant those now.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:18 am

We’d done jalepenos and bell peppers in another smaller section in the past. Bell peppers didn’t work out too well but Japs were nice and hot. Like all
Beyond the local ag school - the other advice is to find the old retired man or woman with a garden in the neighborhood (doesn't every neighborhood have one?) and pick his/her brain. Perhaps your son can trade some labor for some practical advice.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Great idea HooDat, regarding the young man chatting and a wiser elder!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

That looks great!

I highly recommend trying to start your own seeds. Pick what you want to grow this summer and get some seed packets at the local hardware store.

It can be as involved as you want to make it.

All you really need is a little potting soil, some small containers or starting flats, and a window. Grow bulb or spray bottle if you feel fancy.

Lots of fun.

Start at end of Jan, early Feb and they should be ready to get in the ground after the last frost.

We've gotten to the point where we also harvest and keep seeds from one year to the next. Just need a dark, dry spot and some envelopes for offseason storage...

Good luck! Keep us posted!
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

and .... the next thing you need is a few laying hens.

That yard is plenty big enough for 3-4 hens - assuming your local zoning doesn't prohibit them (often it is just roosters that are prohibited).

I suggest Rhode Island Reds. Great, reliable layers, incredibly friendly. Pick them up at your local feed store.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:25 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:18 am

Beyond the local ag school - the other advice is to find the old retired man or woman with a garden in the neighborhood (doesn't every neighborhood have one?) and pick his/her brain. Perhaps your son can trade some labor for some practical advice.
Good comment, plenty of gardens in my hood. Our neighborhood org meetings are held at a Existentialist church to give you an idea of where I live inside of Atl

https://candlerpark.org/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:19 pm and .... the next thing you need is a few laying hens.

That yard is plenty big enough for 3-4 hens - assuming your local zoning doesn't prohibit them (often it is just roosters that are prohibited).

I suggest Rhode Island Reds. Great, reliable layers, incredibly friendly. Pick them up at your local feed store.
I like that! Have you seen what eggs cost these days? And I barely use eggs but the wife and kids do. 5.69 for a dozen large eggs What the heck!?!?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Check out the price of these jumbo eggs....yup, I'll be there tomorrow (nice price on the burger too).
https://nicholsliverpool.com/this-weeks-flyer/

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”