Syracuse 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm I don't support any adult sending a teenager a private message but people scouting comments for recruiting news or tidbits is common place in D1 recruiting.
In general, I agree. In this case... c'mon. Jeremy, for heaven's sake, your PM is totally appropriate. Little different than going to a HS game and post-game saying, "Great Game!" as a player walks by. Heck little different than saying, "We'd love to see you at SU!" as he walks by. This thread is silly...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Antonio114 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:11 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm I don't support any adult sending a teenager a private message but people scouting comments for recruiting news or tidbits is common place in D1 recruiting.
So you're a different JeremyCuse from the one who admitted he felt like an "idiot creeper" for sending Spallina a private message last week "letting him know he was home"?

That was a public post, I didn't send him a private message and in all honesty I wish I hadn't sent anything. Things must be slowing down on the Hop thread if your diving this deep on the Syracuse board.
Really? Because it sure seemed like you said that in reaction to his Instagram story showing he visited the Syracuse campus. Hence the "you're home" comment. You can't comment publicly on those. All responses to an Instagram story are sent privately to the user who posted it. Then again, you already knew that.
Yes I did respond to his story how the hell else would I have known he was visiting? After someone on our board noted he posted he was visiting i checked it out. I dont use Instagram much so it took me a while to even find the post and send the comment. I assumed those comments are public. I don't follow recruits personally but when your talking about the #1 overall recruit and the most hyped recruitment in a long time you tend to pay a little more attention.
This guy has reached new levels of toxic forum behavior and I apologize for getting involved. You are much better than I at being the bigger man.
Why are you having such a fit about me pointing out a little bit of hypocrisy? Us Hopkins fans get accused of having thin skin all the time but this is really something else. Your bizarre reaction to this does not fit the circumstances. It's not "toxic forum behavior" to quote a post from a popular lacrosse forum from a few days ago that that directly contradicts a statement that was just made here.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Yes. FF is truest measuring stick and Syracuse has not been getting to that weekend . Thought they were on track last year, maybe get there this year with their returning talent .
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:53 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm I don't support any adult sending a teenager a private message but people scouting comments for recruiting news or tidbits is common place in D1 recruiting.
So you're a different JeremyCuse from the one who admitted he felt like an "idiot creeper" for sending Spallina a private message last week "letting him know he was home"?

That was a public post, I didn't send him a private message and in all honesty I wish I hadn't sent anything. Things must be slowing down on the Hop thread if your diving this deep on the Syracuse board.
Really? Because it sure seemed like you said that in reaction to his Instagram story showing he visited the Syracuse campus. Hence the "you're home" comment. You can't comment publicly on those. All responses to an Instagram story are sent privately to the user who posted it. Then again, you already knew that.
Yes I did respond to his story how the hell else would I have known he was visiting? After someone on our board noted he posted he was visiting i checked it out. I dont use Instagram much so it took me a while to even find the post and send the comment. I assumed those comments are public. I don't follow recruits personally but when your talking about the #1 overall recruit and the most hyped recruitment in a long time you tend to pay a little more attention.
This guy has reached new levels of toxic forum behavior and I apologize for getting involved. You are much better than I at being the bigger man.
Why are you having such a fit about me pointing out a little bit of hypocrisy? Us Hopkins fans get accused of having thin skin all the time but this is really something else. Your bizarre reaction to this does not fit the circumstances. It's not "toxic forum behavior" to quote a post from a popular lacrosse forum from a few days ago that that directly contradicts a statement that was just made here.
There is no contradiction, I'm talking about sending a recruit a private Facebook or DM message and saying God knows what. I assumed my comment on his post that I gave was public. As noted by matnum this is really a silly argument.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

As a semi-aside, the hype around SU's shortened season in 2019 is, in my opinion, unjustified. They didn't beat anyone. Some brand names having weak seasons but no "good teams". I'm still unconvinced about SU turning the ship around.
Caddy Day
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm I don't support any adult sending a teenager a private message but people scouting comments for recruiting news or tidbits is common place in D1 recruiting.
In general, I agree. In this case... c'mon. Jeremy, for heaven's sake, your PM is totally appropriate. Little different than going to a HS game and post-game saying, "Great Game!" as a player walks by. Heck little different than saying, "We'd love to see you at SU!" as he walks by. This thread is silly...
Thanks, I thought so to although I will admit it did feel a little odd even though I follow recruiting closely for all of the big SU sports.. As you noted its a lot like seeing a recruit on a visit and saying "come to x school". Spallina seems like a smart kid, interested to see how his game grows over the next few seasons and thr potential ACC matchups in a few years should be insane.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

You literally called what he did "creepily sliding into teenager's DMs" and by doing that you are not so subtly equating what he did to child stalking ped* behavior! People only use the term "sliding into DMs" to describe hitting on someone! If you were pointing out some hypocrisy in a take that was actually lacrosse related I would be a lot more civil, but you are just going after someone in a way that has nothing to do with lax! If I was in charge in any way I would ban you on the spot for that alone.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

There've been years where there's a chasm between the #1 and #2 player. I don't see this so much with Spallina. For that matter, between Spallina and the #3 etc. Am I missing something?
Caddy Day
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:06 pm As a semi-aside, the hype around SU's shortened season in 2019 is, in my opinion, unjustified. They didn't beat anyone. Some brand names having weak seasons but no "good teams". I'm still unconvinced about SU turning the ship around.
Using the eye test, they looked better than in recent seasons. It's possible they could've still run into a defense that shut down the midfield and we would've seen if the attack could produce much. Army was close, but they couldn't shut down Trimboli. The diversity of offensive options made them seem like a tough out. Defense was a little shaky at times, but there was some moving parts with Mellen missing time and Kennedy moving to close D. No projections of their season are worth much.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:11 pm There've been years where there's a chasm between the #1 and #2 player. I don't see this so much with Spallina. For that matter, between Spallina and the #3 etc. Am I missing something?
Well IL had Spallina and Dom a close 1-2 and noted Dom would likely push him for thr #1 ranking. So clearly they feel the top 2 aren't for apart.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:11 pm There've been years where there's a chasm between the #1 and #2 player. I don't see this so much with Spallina. For that matter, between Spallina and the #3 etc. Am I missing something?
What's Spallina's IL rating? Not ranking. How does it compare to those just below him in his class? Do they collectively have higher ratings than the 2021 class top 5 or about the same? Spallina seems like a fantastic talent that's been producing for a long time. There are other players in his class that look great as well. Again, back to there being a lot of talent out there. Maybe each year the difference between #1 and #2 is smaller. The HS class of 2020 has O'Neill, but some of the other players look great too. Arline's highlight video is incredible.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. They looked better but... The D looked weak. Even with Mellen. Mellen seemed off. And on O, they were having unexpected players step-up which could be seen as a good thing but, for whatever reason, i didn't see it this way. to me, it seemed like players were stepping up because other players weren't. #22 was less than stellar, the 2nd middie line struck me as better than the 1st, etc. I dunno. To me, they seemed to be struggling and, while struggling, due to some poll-ers obsession with not losing (no matter who the Ws are against), they were ranked #1 and being called the top team in the nation. :) And then the season ended and some were saying, This was going to be our year! :) I dunno...
Caddy Day
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Antonio114 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:10 pm

You literally called what he did "creepily sliding into teenager's DMs" and by doing that you are not so subtly equating what he did to child stalking ped* behavior! People only use the term "sliding into DMs" to describe hitting on someone! If you were pointing out some hypocrisy in a take that was actually lacrosse related I would be a lot more civil, but you are just going after someone in a way that has nothing to do with lax! If I was in charge in any way I would ban you on the spot for that alone.
Once again, because apparently this needs repeating: He admitted what he did was creepy. He said it. No one is equating anything with what you've suggested. That thought didn't even cross my mind, but apparently it did yours? I do think there's some tongue-in-cheek humor to the "sliding into DMs" language. Unsolicited messaging of a recruit basically IS the college recruiting version of hitting on someone. This is 100% lacrosse related. He said he didn't support privately contacting recruits and yet did so himself, unwittingly or not. That's all this is. Nothing more. You really don't need to make it about anything more. Good god.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm What's Spallina's IL rating?
Just stars. Not numbers. But something. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... _state=ALL
Caddy Day
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm What's Spallina's IL rating?
Just stars. Not numbers. But something. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... _state=ALL
He was evaluated back in April 2019 and given an 89
At the Fall Invitational last November a 91
At the Juniors Open this past June a 93

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/29137
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Thanks, no Worries. I think its an odd hill to die on but each his own I guess. Maybe I need to change up my usernames, lol.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:20 pm Agreed. They looked better but... The D looked weak. Even with Mellen. Mellen seemed off. And on O, they were having unexpected players step-up which could be seen as a good thing but, for whatever reason, i didn't see it this way. to me, it seemed like players were stepping up because other players weren't. #22 was less than stellar, the 2nd middie line struck me as better than the 1st, etc. I dunno. To me, they seemed to be struggling and, while struggling, due to some poll-ers obsession with not losing (no matter who the Ws are against), they were ranked #1 and being called the top team in the nation. :) And then the season ended and some were saying, This was going to be our year! :) I dunno...
Gotta say it feels like were talking about two different teams from what I remember. The 1st mid line was outstanding most of the year and way way better then the second mid line which had some struggles. Quint called them the best midfield in the country. Mellen only played the half of the first game before getting hurt and was out the rest of the year before the season was canceled.

I am also not sure what you mean by "On O, they were having unexpected players step up". I honestly don't know who your referring to. Scanlan's play was a bit inconsistent I do agree with that. As for the D that was a mixed bag for sure after giving up 14 to Gate in the first game but they held a Army to 7 goals and while Hobart did score 13 they had been averaging like 20 something up to that point. They were also way up there in Facoeff % and had a real nice 1-2 punch with Phaup and Varello.

I certainly don't think they were a lock for Memorial day but outside of the first half against Army I didn't see a lot of struggling. The D against the ACC and Cornell would certainly have been tested ditto for the attack unit but that was definitely a top 5 team in my opinion.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Went back and looked at the numbers and griffin Cook (who i like very much) had low numbers. in the first game, quinn had a hat-trick and an assist. rehfuss put up big numbers and i didn't expect this. based on these i said what i said and... my evaluation is inaccurate.
Caddy Day
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:20 pm Agreed. They looked better but... The D looked weak. Even with Mellen. Mellen seemed off. And on O, they were having unexpected players step-up which could be seen as a good thing but, for whatever reason, i didn't see it this way. to me, it seemed like players were stepping up because other players weren't. #22 was less than stellar, the 2nd middie line struck me as better than the 1st, etc. I dunno. To me, they seemed to be struggling and, while struggling, due to some poll-ers obsession with not losing (no matter who the Ws are against), they were ranked #1 and being called the top team in the nation. :) And then the season ended and some were saying, This was going to be our year! :) I dunno...
With all due respect, I think you are mis-remembering some things. SU's first midfield line averaged 10.2 points per game in 2020. The 2nd middie line averaged 3.6. The Hobart game inflated the 1st middies numbers a bit (w/out that game their average is 8.5) and the 2nd middies really dropped off after the first two games (Colgate and Bing). I am including 4 players on the 2nd line (Seebold, Lipka, Buttermore and Quinn).

SU played some good teams. Army and Hobart looked pretty good. Again, I was using the eye test and it seemed to match up with the numbers.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”