COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:48 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:25 pm Maryland announces restrictions on sports teams games through at least April 10. Home and away games will continue, but spectator participation will be limited (presumably this means for home games).

https://umterps.com/news/2020/3/11/terr ... vents.aspx
Very logical and cool-headed approach
Yea! 🥍😎
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Let's hope other conferences follow this model proposed by Maryland.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

From the bay area CA schools --
Games this weekend will go on... Cal -- no spectators: Stanford -- limited number of family and friends.
njbill

Post by njbill »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:25 pm Maryland announces restrictions on sports teams games through at least April 10. Home and away games will continue, but spectator participation will be limited (presumably this means for home games).

I agree. My view, as of this moment, is that the Ivies have overreacted. While months from now, looking back in hindsight, it may be that they acted presciently. But why not take it medium size step by medium size step? Universities or conferences can always extend or expand on what Maryland has done down the road if events warrant. While unfortunately I think this is unlikely, what if things dramatically improve in two weeks or four weeks? The Ivies have already closed up shop. Not sure they could jump start their programs after having terminated their seasons.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:29 pm

I agree. My view, as of this moment, is that the Ivies have overreacted. While months from now, looking back in hindsight, it may be that they acted presciently. But why not take it medium size step by medium size step? Universities or conferences can always extend or expand on what Maryland has done down the road if events warrant. While unfortunately I think this is unlikely, what if things dramatically improve in two weeks or four weeks? The Ivies have already closed up shop. Not sure they could jump start their programs after having terminated their seasons.
Amen Bill
njbill

Post by njbill »

NBA just announced it is suspending the season until further notice. A player has tested positive for the coronavirus.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm NBA just announced it is suspending the season until further notice. A player has tested positive for the coronavirus.
NCAA lacrosse hasn't got a chance. Only a matter of days now.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:54 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm NBA just announced it is suspending the season until further notice. A player has tested positive for the coronavirus.
NCAA lacrosse hasn't got a chance. Only a matter of days now.
shaking my head...and the insanity continues...
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Assuming the season continues or is only temporarily suspended and picks back up sometime in April, how will Ivy League games count for opponents? Do they count as forfeits (aka wins) or are they just completely scratched from their schedules?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:41 pm Assuming the season continues or is only temporarily suspended and picks back up sometime in April, how will Ivy League games count for opponents? Do they count as forfeits (aka wins) or are they just completely scratched from their schedules?
According to D, who had games scheduled cancelled with Lafayette and Holy Cross, they are just scratched, no forfeit. I would assume the same applies to the IVY games.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

The A10 and Patriot league still have the green light for now. Richmond’s gams vs Villanova is still a go for Saturday, but may only be attended by parents or guardians...No siblings allowed.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... led-season

A good read. Those Ivy teams sure are led by a bunch of class-act coaches—broken-hearted for their teams and especially their seniors but supportive of the decision (at least publicly). Notable at the end:

"The Ivy League office issued a statement late Wednesday that gives one idea: 'We are planning to apply to the NCAA for a blanket waiver for an additional year of eligibility for all student-athletes.' ”

Hadn't heard this previously but there have been questions on this thread about that.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

This is terrible. Having the Ivies on the field matters. Yes, yes, yes. With this said, D1 Men's Lacrosse is much more impacted by the Ivies decision. For D1 Women, according to the Forum Poll, it's #8 Dartmouth and #11 Penn. Then Princeton. Again, this is awful and... This doesn't put an asterisks on the season.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:37 pm https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... led-season

A good read. Those Ivy teams sure are led by a bunch of class-act coaches—broken-hearted for their teams and especially their seniors but supportive of the decision (at least publicly). Notable at the end:

"The Ivy League office issued a statement late Wednesday that gives one idea: 'We are planning to apply to the NCAA for a blanket waiver for an additional year of eligibility for all student-athletes.' ”

Hadn't heard this previously but there have been questions on this thread about that.
The problem with this is that Ivy seniors likely have jobs lined up, or graduate schools chosen, and another year at an Ivy is complicated by the lack of graduate and fifth year programs and the cost of tuition. I can see a few Ivy seniors using remaining eligibility at graduate schools in North Carolina, JHU, Maryland, etc. Who needs a lefty who scored over 100 goals for Princeton in three years?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:22 pm The A10 and Patriot league still have the green light for now. Richmond’s gams vs Villanova is still a go for Saturday, but may only be attended by parents or guardians...No siblings allowed.
imo, more Patriot league teams will announce suspension, but not cancellation.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 am
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:37 pm https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... led-season

The problem with this is that Ivy seniors likely have jobs lined up, or graduate schools chosen, and another year at an Ivy is complicated by the lack of graduate and fifth year programs and the cost of tuition. I can see a few Ivy seniors using remaining eligibility at graduate schools in North Carolina, JHU, Maryland, etc. Who needs a lefty who scored over 100 goals for Princeton in three years?
I discussed this with the D last night. I think teams are making short lists as we speak. The only thing I dont know is how the addition (whether internal or external (Ivy)) of a grad student with one year left affects scholarships. Freshmen coming in already have theirs allotted. Maybe there is some special allowance if the NCAA grants automatic red shirt elligibility to add 1/4 or 1/5 of the allotted 12 for one season only?
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:00 am
seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:15 am

I discussed this with the D last night. I think teams are making short lists as we speak. The only thing I dont know is how the addition (whether internal or external (Ivy)) of a grad student with one year left affects scholarships. Freshmen coming in already have theirs allotted. Maybe there is some special allowance if the NCAA grants automatic red shirt elligibility to add 1/4 or 1/5 of the allotted 12 for one season only?
I understand Ivy League has/will be asking for a blanket waiver/extra year for all spring sports athletes. Still doesn’t help the cost/job issues that you mentioned though.

You are right, any scholarship schools keeping a red shirt player would likely be taking up a spot for incoming recruits so that would be another headache for the coaching staff and administrators to work through.

Heard PL are strongly considering canceling also...

Honestly I can’t see the lacrosse season being completed for anyone given all of the professional sports now being hit with this and suspended or canceled
Lurker

Post by Lurker »

The extra year of eligibility does absolutely nothing for the seniors who are receiving diplomas later this spring. And I bet the majority of kids who aren't graduating this spring, on on schedule to graduate on time so they won't want/need to attend another year (and pay tuition) just to play lax.

The only reasonable thing to do is to post pone the season and resume at a later date. A shortened/condensed season would be better than no season.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I read more about the virus last night from various expert sources and I now fully support canceling all NCAA spring sports seasons. I know many will be disappointed, but I believe it is the responsible move and one that will seem like a no-brainer a week from now. Best wishes to all the student athletes.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Badlands wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:00 am I read more about the virus last night from various expert sources and I now fully support canceling all NCAA spring sports seasons. I know many will be disappointed, but I believe it is the responsible move and one that will seem like a no-brainer a week from now. Best wishes to all the student athletes.
Exactly.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”