Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Religion in America

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:11 pm Read the following book and your eyes will be opened to the views of the Third World:

https://tinyurl.com/v6xcj82

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wretched_of_the_Earth

War apologists in the USA, France, UK, and elsewhere need to understand that you simply do not have the right to walk into a country, steal their resources, kill their men, rape their women, and use the Bible to "justify" their imperialistic criminality. Apologists say Solemani's murder is "justified" because he killed 600 Americans. But what of the million Iranians killed by Saddam when he was paid off by the USA? And of those killed in the 1953 coup taken by Eisenhower? And of the tens of thousands killed by the fascist Shah - the puppet regime imposed by the American right wing - where is the justice for these victims?

If you are a true Christian and allow yourself to be enlightened by these truths, you will no longer defend Western imperialistic criminality. That's a fact whether any of you wish to believe it or not.
That’s a heavy duty book. Oddly I was looking thinking of playing this record yesterday!

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/fanon-tarb ... ?width=412
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I think an aspect of religion that is frequently overlooked, especially by the non-religious, is defining, lack of a better word, the truth. Defining right and wrong. For many, they say, I just do the right thing. We all do the right thing... according to our perspective. The question is, from an objective, much bigger-perspective perspective (some would call this, from G-d's perspective), what's the right thing to do? And, obviously, when this broader, non-self-serving perspective on an issue is figured out, having this perspective inserted into politics is a positive thing. i.e. Religion in politics is not a good thing. Religion which is based on deep thought, sincere investigation, patient thinking, etc. in politics is a good thing.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

If you have any doubt as to the truth of this, read your Bible.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:49 pm I think an aspect of religion that is frequently overlooked, especially by the non-religious, is defining, lack of a better word, the truth. Defining right and wrong. For many, they say, I just do the right thing. We all do the right thing... according to our perspective. The question is, from an objective, much bigger-perspective perspective (some would call this, from G-d's perspective), what's the right thing to do? And, obviously, when this broader, non-self-serving perspective on an issue is figured out, having this perspective inserted into politics is a positive thing. i.e. Religion in politics is not a good thing. Religion which is based on deep thought, sincere investigation, patient thinking, etc. in politics is a good thing.
Three things that I learned early is that lying is wrong, treat people the way you would like to be treated and help others that are less fortunate.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 amThree things that I learned early is that lying is wrong, treat people the way you would like to be treated and help others that are less fortunate.
Three good examples. Seems simple on a superficial level until... A groom says to you, Doesn't my bride look gorgeous? You were raised in a dysfunctional home or whatever and you don't treat yourself very well. What you call helping, the less fortunate see as not being so helpful. There is a ridiculously large number of examples. All three of these statements are 100% true and all written explicitly in the 5 Books of Moses. And... "Doing the right thing" takes thought, takes work. And these are relatively simple things. Good things happening to bad people, bad things happening to good people etc. are substantially less simple. But you need to care about some of the bigger questions in life. Not everyone does.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 amThree things that I learned early is that lying is wrong, treat people the way you would like to be treated and help others that are less fortunate.
Three good examples. Seems simple on a superficial level until... A groom says to you, Doesn't my bride look gorgeous? You were raised in a dysfunctional home or whatever and you don't treat yourself very well. What you call helping, the less fortunate see as not being so helpful. There is a ridiculously large number of examples. All three of these statements are 100% true and all written explicitly in the 5 Books of Moses. And... "Doing the right thing" takes thought, takes work. And these are relatively simple things. Good things happening to bad people, bad things happening to good people etc. are substantially less simple. But you need to care about some of the bigger questions in life. Not everyone does.
Yes. I know what you mean. Most of the time it’s fine for most people in most instances. There are always exceptions. The Seinfeld Ugly Baby episode is a good example!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Most every Seinfeld episode is taken all but explicitly from a gemara. (Gemaras are commentary by rabbis going back 100s and 100s of years on the Five Books of Moses. Commentary on the commentary that came before it with commentary on that commentary etc.) People recognize that Seinfeld is a very Jewish TV show and most think it's because it's set in NYC, written by Seinfeld and David, etc. and this is all true but the thing that really makes it so Jewish is that each episode is like several rabbis, several jews discussing an issue taken from a gemara.
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm Most every Seinfeld episode is taken all but explicitly from a gemara. (Gemaras are commentary by rabbis going back 100s and 100s of years on the Five Books of Moses. Commentary on the commentary that came before it with commentary on that commentary etc.) People recognize that Seinfeld is a very Jewish TV show and most think it's because it's set in NYC, written by Seinfeld and David, etc. and this is all true but the thing that really makes it so Jewish is that each episode is like several rabbis, several jews discussing an issue taken from a gemara.
Gold! :lol: thanks
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

This was never a Seinfeld episode (I don't think though I'm sure there was some reference to this) but a good example is the "help others that are less fortunate" you mentioned. This could be charity (tzedaka), hiring an employee, helping a person cross the street, etc. And some will look at a religious person who wants to do "the right thing" and roll their eyes. It's obvious! You just give charity and help people and... It's obvious! And then it comes to the end of the year and he's given 1% of his income (though he probably has no idea what percentage he gave) to charities and... See! Bulls eye! See! I give charity! And... Was this actually doing the right thing? Obviously if he shoots the arrow and then paint the bulls eye he 100% did the right thing. But being intellectually honest, did he really? And the answer is subjective to some extent but only after being intellectual honest about doing the right thing. i.e. Only after, so to speak, doing the research. Should we give our leftovers? Should we all takes vows of poverty and give everything? Should we all give 10% or 20%? And who do we give to? Is giving to JHU lacrosse any worse than giving to a homeless shelter? So religious people going 100s and 100s of years back have discussed this issue from so far back until today and... It's a great question. A question that everyone answers differently. But without "religion", without this discipline to garner from, we're just shooting arrows and then painting bulls eyes. Anyway, one example why intellectually honest, reverential religion is a good thing.
Caddy Day
Bart

Post by Bart »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:49 pm Is giving to JHU lacrosse any worse than giving to a homeless shelter?
If you read the JHU thread it is one and the same. ;)
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

:) Sadly true. Our boys in blue are a little pessimistic as of late.
Caddy Day
CU88

Post by CU88 »

This is a good 15 minute read and commentary on where Religion might find younger participants, by doing good.

The Evangelist
Can Shane Claiborne’s progressive version of evangelical Christianity catch on with a new generation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine ... rc404=true

Classic simple street level focus: Safety, Food, Shelter from us to those in need.

"...trying to accelerate regional movements against gun violence."

“When I feed people, they call me a saint; when I ask why people are hungry, they call me a communist.”

"...live near the epicenter of Philadelphia’s heroin crisis, working with a nonprofit Claiborne co-founded that provides food and housing assistance to the poor."
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I like that the kids like him because of his authenticity. Leaders, religious or otherwise, have an agenda. And when the real agenda differs from the stated agenda, for many, this is very frustrating. It sounds like Claiborne's real and stated agenda are one in the same. He formed an "antiprofit organization". :) I like him. Seemingly impressive guy. Thanks, CU.
Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 am

Three things that I learned early is that lying is wrong, treat people the way you would like to be treated and help others that are less fortunate.

GREAT! That's actually living by biblical principles. :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

CU88

Post by CU88 »

It only takes a few rotten apples to taint the whole barrel. r hero o d has this religious leader talking to him constantly:

Paula White just asked God to miscarry all the babies of Trump’s enemies.
https://twitter.com/seankent/status/1221281967603363846

This article is from the National Catholic Reporter: https://www.ncronline.org/news/politics ... ith-office
Paula White, a Pentecostal preacher and longtime adviser to President Donald Trump, has been tapped to head the White House's Faith and Opportunity Initiative, a successor to previous administrations' faith-based office that coordinates outreach to religious communities.

I am not religious, but it seems to me that people who pray for women to miscarry their babies are not praying to a god. They are partnering with a devil.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

White is just one more con artist. Birds of a feather. Religion is overrun with this slime. Evangelicals seem most susceptible to the con.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:15 pm Most every Seinfeld episode is taken all but explicitly from a gemara. (Gemaras are commentary by rabbis going back 100s and 100s of years on the Five Books of Moses. Commentary on the commentary that came before it with commentary on that commentary etc.) People recognize that Seinfeld is a very Jewish TV show and most think it's because it's set in NYC, written by Seinfeld and David, etc. and this is all true but the thing that really makes it so Jewish is that each episode is like several rabbis, several jews discussing an issue taken from a gemara.

GREAT post.

Never did get into that series or any other episodic show of that period for that matter. Am familiar with only one segment and that is this:

Very Noo Yawk style and highly memorable Jewish humor.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

CU88 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:39 am It only takes a few rotten apples to taint the whole barrel ...:

Paula White just asked God to miscarry all the babies of Trump’s enemies.
https://twitter.com/seankent/status/1221281967603363846

...I am not religious, but it seems to me that people who pray for women to miscarry their babies are not praying to a god. They are partnering with a devil.

Bob Levine: If there really were a god, @Paula_White would have burst into flames by now.

https://twitter.com/idguy?ref_src=twsrc ... r%5Eauthor

So true!

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm Ain't that the truth?
It's always been about abortions and the judges that support pro-life...

Return to “POLITICS”