Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:29 pm Oh my, my my, this is really good for the taste buds.
From the kitchen of DMacdeutscheboy.
Wienerschnitzel, spaetzle, little mushroom gravy....c'mon.
As good as the little joint's on Schone Titten Strasse in Kitzingen.
:mrgreen:
Looks amazing dmac.

I use to hate Brussel Sprouts. When I started cooking everything in cast iron I gave them a shot after searing a steak. Cut them up, added some olive oil, garlic powder, and a healthy dusting of parmesan cheese. Got them slightly charred on the stove top, then into the hot oven with the CI pan, while the oven was cooling and steak rested. So good.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'd bet most of us didn't like them as kids but it turns out they're pretty tasty little treats, and yeah, can be made a variety of ways.
No one caught Shone Titten Strasse? Strasse is street, look up the translation of shone titten.
Doubt there's such a street and if there is I'm bettin' it's a little bouncy. Kitzingen is a real place,
lived there for a few years as a kid.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I use to hate Brussel Sprouts.

Same. But once I learned to top them with garlicky Italian salad dressing it's been one big food love affair for me. :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Fifty degrees and sunny in the Cuse today???
$1.50 PBR draughts at my favorite watering hole?
See ya...got a smokin' deck too. :mrgreen:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Made a pineapple pie tonight and put it into the fridge for brekkie tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I'll be able to hold out and let it fully set in the fridge overnight. Smells so good I may not be able to hold out till then ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Made myself a delish fudge brownie cake and had a genrous portion to go with my morning coffee - mmm, mmm yummy!

A terrific way to start any day. :D

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Starting off the New Year watching the Mummer's presentation (no Parade this year) on PHL17 webstream.

Made myself a coconut cream pie and had a generous chunk with my morning coffee.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.M4J4b6EQw ... =5&pid=1.7

DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice, Brooks, but that's not generous, have another one. :D
Happy New Year
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:07 am Starting off the New Year watching the Mummer's presentation (no Parade this year) on PHL17 webstream.

Made myself a coconut cream pie and had a generous chunk with my morning coffee.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.M4J4b6EQw ... =5&pid=1.7
Looks delicious!!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:26 am I'd bet most of us didn't like them as kids but it turns out they're pretty tasty little treats, and yeah, can be made a variety of ways.
No one caught Shone Titten Strasse? Strasse is street, look up the translation of shone titten.
Doubt there's such a street and if there is I'm bettin' it's a little bouncy. Kitzingen is a real place,
lived there for a few years as a kid.
Dmac, did you make the spaetzle your self? I love it like crazy but my wife says it is too much work and too messy to make. I offered to clean the kitchen to no avail.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I did, and I think there are a lot of people who feel the same as your wife does. I've made it about a zillion times and just don't find it to be a huge deal and well worth the effort. The trick is to keep up with what you're doing and clean utensils and whatever else you're using as you go along...lots of warm/hot water.
This guy's voice will drive you crazy but he makes it look pretty simple. I don't do it this way but it'll work fine but don't use a whisk (it's just harder to clean), use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula and just work it around til you get the consistency you see in the video. You should also cover that bowl with a towel for 10-15 minutes before making the noodles . No creme fresh/yogurt, and you can use water (that's what I use) rather than milk, no cayenne either. Do fry them til they're a little golden brown too. Bring some flowers, chocolates and maybe a little wine home and say, "C'mon honey, lets go play in the kitchen a little" and pull that video up. ;)
Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwn97mpBCu8&t=195s
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:58 pm Looks delicious!!

Thanks! I promise you, it's beyond awesome. :D

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:06 pm
I use to hate Brussel Sprouts.

Same. But once I learned to top them with garlicky Italian salad dressing it's been one big food love affair for me. :)
They’ve become popular with some combination of Balsamic, bacon, goat/feta cheese around restaraunts in Atlanta. Had some iteration of that a few times in the past few months.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:37 pm They’ve become popular with some combination of Balsamic, bacon, goat/feta cheese around restaraunts in Atlanta. Had some iteration of that a few times in the past few months.

Aha! Definitely on my food agenda ...

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:37 pm They’ve become popular with some combination of Balsamic, bacon, goat/feta cheese around restaraunts in Atlanta. Had some iteration of that a few times in the past few months.

Aha! Definitely on my food agenda ...
I’ve cooked some versions w a little butter, brown sugar and bacon, but my son and I “split” (I had most) this version just a few days ago at a nearby bar.

(After sides on the menu, second Brussels sprout dish, Brussels all the way. We also split a Tavernator burger and ten smoked wings, 5 lemon pepper and five Thai chili ones)

https://www.thecornertavern.com/menus/#little-5
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I hated them. Gave them an other try. I qtr then, put in a hot cast iron skillet with a bit of olive oil, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese, get the a bit charred, then into the oven with the skillet. Drizzle melted butter over them. The crispy Parmesan, coupled with with sweet butter and light char makes the delish!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 pm I hated them. Gave them an other try. I qtr then, put in a hot cast iron skillet with a bit of olive oil, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese, get the a bit charred, then into the oven with the skillet. Drizzle melted butter over them. The crispy Parmesan, coupled with with sweet butter and light char makes the delish!
Olive oil is healthier but I’ve found for certain sautéing that grape seed oil is excellent for a light cooking
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:12 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 pm I hated them. Gave them an other try. I qtr then, put in a hot cast iron skillet with a bit of olive oil, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese, get the a bit charred, then into the oven with the skillet. Drizzle melted butter over them. The crispy Parmesan, coupled with with sweet butter and light char makes the delish!
Olive oil is healthier but I’ve found for certain sautéing that grape seed oil is excellent for a light cooking
I also use saved bacon grease (refrigerated)and a teaspoon does wonders for flavor.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m not doing that for a variety of reasons, including young kids, but have utilized bacon grease when I’m cooking bacon along with multiple other things before.

But seriously if you ever like stir fry vegetables or noodles try a little of the grape seed oil. Lot lighter than olive oil.
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:07 am I’m not doing that for a variety of reasons, including young kids, but have utilized bacon grease when I’m cooking bacon along with multiple other things before.

But seriously if you ever like stir fry vegetables or noodles try a little of the grape seed oil. Lot lighter than olive oil.
Curious, why....I assume it is the marginal added grams of cholesterol and extra sodium?. The difference between olive oil, bacon, and grapeseed is miniscule (nutrition wise), when you are using a tsp amount in a dish for 4. Seem real butter (not margarine which is almost softened plastic) scores worse, but is also quite all natural.

The smoke points of bacon fat is ~375. Where as grapeseed oil is 420, although I use little oil with my stir-fry, typically sesame oil, smoke point of 410.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”