NCAA Tournament

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Sure does!

Post by DMac »

Turtles Lax wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:25 am Was not aware of that truly amazing stat ‘til just now.

Twelve (12) consecutive Natty ‘SHIPS. TL will wager that record will never be broken.

Thanks for the info, DMac!

Peace, out.

TL
DMac wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:23 pm Does this count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nbUvYnahQ
Off the wlax side for a second and as a side note, back in those days all D III post season games were played on the higher seeded team's field. Needless to say, Bart was always ranked #1 so there was an awful lot of mighty good lacrosse to be seen, including NC games, at the Boz during that run. As one who lived less than a half an hour away you can bet I didn't miss them. I was as hard core a Bart fan as you'd ever meet back then (still pull for the Bart) and just hated seeing them go D1 (there were reasons they just kind of had to), the school is simply not big enough to compete week in and week out at the D1 level.
My HS coach was a Bart boy....was just the best.
DMac

Re: NCAA Div 1 National Championship Seedings & Sundries

Post by DMac »

Badlands wrote
In addition, their stick skills are so sharp that they catch most of those balls in heavy traffic and know how to convert. I give Trainor big credit here. That’s her bread and butter, and she’s a tremendous teacher.
Kayla gives G. Gait high praise and is grateful to have played for him (have heard her say this in interviews). Along with her skills and his creative and imaginative style of play he took her to another level (not so sure many other coaches would have given her the freedom she had) and "let her play" so to speak. The G. Gait influence on lacrosse continues....glad to see it.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

DMac wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am
Badlands wrote
In addition, their stick skills are so sharp that they catch most of those balls in heavy traffic and know how to convert. I give Trainor big credit here. That’s her bread and butter, and she’s a tremendous teacher.
Kayla gives G. Gait high praise and is grateful to have played for him (have heard her say this in interviews). Along with her skills and his creative and imaginative style of play he took her to another level (not so sure many other coaches would have given her the freedom she had) and "let her play" so to speak. The G. Gait influence on lacrosse continues....glad to see it.
Indeed, he’s a huge reason why she’s the GOAT!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Optimally, MD-BC final?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

D1 WOMEN: On Friday, May 24 in Baltimore, the D1 Women Semifinals will be at 5 PM with UMD vs. N'western and 7:30 PM with BC vs. UNC.

#1 Maryland and #2 Boston College each had one loss this season. UMD lost to... N'western. And BC lost to... UNC. This screenplay could not be better.

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/05/19/d1- ... bc-vs-unc/
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

UNC vs. BC is the first game.

MD vs. Northwestern is second game.

This is confirmed from one of the coaches.
wlaxnut

What strategy...

Post by wlaxnut »

...will UNC employ to beat BC? And vice versa?

Same with Northwestern and Maryland.

Any thoughts or impressions?
seacoaster

Re: What strategy...

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 am ...will UNC employ to beat BC? And vice versa?

Same with Northwestern and Maryland.

Any thoughts or impressions?
Good questions and way above my pay grade. So, BC-UNC:

Will either team faceguard the star, Apuzzo and Ortega? If so, (1) who's star is better at freeing themselves form the faceguard, and (2) which team has the supporting character actors to step into a leading role? I think both of these questions are answered narrowly -- I'll say it again, narrowly -- in BC's favor. Apuzzo shed the Princeton faceguard very well when it was on her last week, and the supporting cast (Arsenault, Urbank, Rietano, Walker and, oh, the Hockey Player) is just a little better. Incidentally, is Walker healthy? She had what appeared to be a knee thing in the Princeton game, and No. 21 and No. 35 played pretty much the rest of the game.

Incidentally No. 2: I think next year UNC is going to be a force. Does anyone of significance statistically graduate?

I don't know as much about NU and Terps; appreciate hearing others' view of that game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:15 am
Incidentally, is Walker healthy? She had what appeared to be a knee thing in the Princeton game, and No. 21 and No. 35 played pretty much the rest of the game.
Good question. I saw that knee thing you mentioned.

For my part, I think Kate Taylor (# 21) is getting more time on the field because she’s quicker than Walker. I don’t know how well she does on free position, which is certainly one of Walker’s strengths, but she is quick and she has shown a poise and ability around the net. Walker is one of those supporting cast members who has shown a tendency to come up big in big games. I hope she’s fine and will not be hindered Friday.

More on the rest later.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

seacoaster wrote: Incidentally No. 2: I think next year UNC is going to be a force. Does anyone of significance statistically graduate?

Syracuse is going to be a big deal next year as well. They're only losing four players: Stahrr, Radziewicz, Cross and Levy. Lots of seniors in 2020.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:26 pm
seacoaster wrote: Incidentally No. 2: I think next year UNC is going to be a force. Does anyone of significance statistically graduate?

Syracuse is going to be a big deal next year as well. They're only losing four players: Stahrr, Radziewicz, Cross and Levy. Lots of seniors in 2020.
Absolutely. Agreed.

UNC loses to graduation Klages, Sofield, Bowe -- all important players, but all with good understudies. It seems weird that UNC has only three seniors (and Farinholdt, the graduate student from Cornell) on the roster.
laxorangebookworm

seacoaster wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Absolutely. Agreed.

UNC loses to graduation Klages, Sofield, Bowe -- all important players, but all with good understudies. It seems weird that UNC has only three seniors (and Farinholdt, the graduate student from Cornell) on the roster.
They're well coached and get excellent talent. Notre Dame will be good too as they have a lot of seniors coming back. Losing Giacolone in goal though, that's gonna hurt them a bit.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Absolutely. Agreed.

They're well coached and get excellent talent. Notre Dame will be good too as they have a lot of seniors coming back. Losing Giacolone in goal though, that's gonna hurt them a bit.
Interestingly, the biggest question mark next year in the ACC is probably Boston College -- they will lose a ton of really good players to graduation and not just the big three and Walker, but Miller, Walsh Hyatt and Troy, the defensive mainstays, along with the back-up semi-starting goalie Daly. They have a big rebuild ahead of them.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Absolutely. Agreed.

Some of the girls redshirted - it’s not just 3.
laxorangebookworm

seacoaster wrote: Interestingly, the biggest question mark next year in the ACC is probably Boston College -- they will lose a ton of really good players to graduation and not just the big three and Walker, but Miller, Walsh Hyatt and Troy, the defensive mainstays, along with the back-up semi-starting goalie Daly. They have a big rebuild ahead of them.
Yeah, definitely, but they'll still have Urbank and Rietano on offense and Ngai has been good in goal this year, so I think they'll do alright. I would be surprised if they didn't get back to the NCAAT next year (though I don't think they'll win it all).
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 am
seacoaster wrote: Interestingly, the biggest question mark next year in the ACC is probably Boston College -- they will lose a ton of really good players to graduation and not just the big three and Walker, but Miller, Walsh Hyatt and Troy, the defensive mainstays, along with the back-up semi-starting goalie Daly. They have a big rebuild ahead of them.
Yeah, definitely, but they'll still have Urbank and Rietano on offense and Ngai has been good in goal this year, so I think they'll do alright. I would be surprised if they didn't get back to the NCAAT next year (though I don't think they'll win it all).
I’ll be mildly surprised if BC makes it to the NCAA tournament next year. Their ranks will be decimated. They may have some players who can score but nowhere near what they have become accustomed to over the past few years. And as seacoaster pointed out, the defense will be stripped to nothing—keeping in mind that midfielders Dempsey Arsenault and Taylor Walker were mainstays on defense as well. There will be a lot of teams having their revenge on BC next year and for the near future. Players like Apuzzo, Kent and Arsenault don’t come along but once in a decade, maybe more. I hope Ngai has a resilient personality. She’ll need it next year when teams are firing at her willy-nilly game after game after game. That’s my perspective on next season for what it’s worth.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:44 am

Absolutely. Agreed.

True, but I don’t think they fit the distinction of “significance statistically” as was originally mentioned.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:44 am

Absolutely. Agreed.

Good to know. Curious to know who? But understand that I was just going by what the 2019 roster showed as women called "Seniors." I am pretty sure there was no designation like "RS Junior," etc.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:12 am
I’ll be mildly surprised if BC makes it to the NCAA tournament next year. Their ranks will be decimated. They may have some players who can score but nowhere near what they have become accustomed to over the past few years. And as seacoaster pointed out, the defense will be stripped to nothing—keeping in mind that midfielders Dempsey Arsenault and Taylor Walker were mainstays on defense as well. There will be a lot of teams having their revenge on BC next year and for the near future. Players like Apuzzo, Kent and Arsenault don’t come along but once in a decade, maybe more. I hope Ngai has a resilient personality. She’ll need it next year when teams are firing at her willy-nilly game after game after game. That’s my perspective on next season for what it’s worth.
Even through I agree with almost everything you say, wlaxnut, I'd take a bet on this: that BC will make the NCAA tournament.

Where do you think they'll finish in the ACC?
laxorangebookworm

seacoaster wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:12 am
Even through I agree with almost everything you say, wlaxnut, I'd take a bet on this: that BC will make the NCAA tournament.

Where do you think they'll finish in the ACC?
UNC and SU should be vying for the ACC title next year, though I could also see Notre Dame in there as well, so those are your top 3.

Other teams are losing key personnel. Virginia's losing Shoemaker and Jackson, so I think they drop back a little next year. Duke's losing a couple of defensive players, a middie and of course Olivia Jenner, so the younger players are going to have to step it up next year. Virginia Tech didn't lose a whole lot (and Petty's back) and I think they're be better next year. Essentially, there's going to be a free for all regarding the 4 through 7 spots in the ACC. Louisville will continue to improve, but will have a young team and losing Tessa Chad (their main scorer) won't help, but it's a long term rebuild for Coach Teeter there. But I don't see the Cardinals breaking out of the cellar for another couple of years.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”