ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:43 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:15 pm UNC-Duke tomorrow at Noon.
I'm strongly assuming UNC comes through this game against Duke tomorrow afternoon. How do you think the quick turnaround comes into play for Sunday's final? The team who wins will have less than 24 hours to recover before having to play BC.

(Any and all thoughts/opinions welcome from any and all members.)
Here is my confirmation from WatchESPN:

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?cat ... e=upcoming

I think BC still has the recovery issue that the war with Syracuse created. UNC will cycle in and out about 238 midfielders with blond ponytails against Duke, beat Duke by six, and ready themselves for main entree, BC.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Quick thoughts on wlaxfan’s excellent summary of game:

1. Gary is an amazing tactician. The play out of the TO was exquisite. The guy is so creative. The main reason I love watching Cuse. But his teams are too undisciplined sometimes. It’s possible to play fast and loose but also be disciplined. The cross check to the back of the BC player who didn’t even have the ball could’ve been a red.

2. Yet another game that Apuzzo largely won with her ride. She’s a brilliant defender (more like a ball hunter). Baits opponents and takes brilliant angles on the ball.

3. I liked Levy’s BTB pass at the end. I thought it was the smart play given the little time on the possession clock, and it gave extra space to her teammate because BC didn’t see it coming. Problem was one of execution — it was high.
Francophile

Post by Francophile »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 pm Abbey Ngai looked lost in net today. Needlessly moving her stick way too much to make saves. Her mechanics were all out of whack. She seemed to have that 270 degree stick pivot to make saves that she could have used a fairly stationary net to snag. I'm glad they pulled her.

Then there was this nasty skirmish between Grace Fahey and Cara Urbank.

https://youtu.be/ZBSgP7xJdWo

Typically and sadly, no fouls called on either player. Three refs on the field and they all missed it. Tsk tsk. The announcers were complicit by their silence as well. Too cowardly or oblivious or unobservant, or all three combined, to say anything about it.

Lots of amazing goals scored, most notably Emily Hawryschuk's insane field hockey swipe past Ngai to tie the score 9 seconds before the half.
Yes, yellow card on Fahey for a push using her stick and a red card on Urbank for an elbow to the face.
Francophile

Post by Francophile »

Monumental clash between two superb teams. A joy to watch. The kind of physical battle that will attract and hold the casual fan.

Stats don't lie. Draw controls: +7 for Cuse. Turnovers: +9 for BC. Score differential: +1 for BC.

BC's ride was just ferocious. Maybe the best I've ever seen. Both teams now know exactly what they have to work on. From Gait's comments at the half and afterwards, he isn't pleased with Cuse's getting rattled by BC's ride.

Despite the accolades, BC's Ngai looked pretty average. She had that deer-in-the-headlights-I-have-no-clue-what's-going-on look when they pulled her. Cuse's Goldstock didn't exactly stand on her head either. And, she made a couple of horrendous turnovers. To be fair, by and large both teams' shot selection was so good that neither goalie had much of a chance.

It's a cliché, but the NCAA is wide open. It wouldn't surprise me if BC, UNC, MD, SU or Northwestern won it all.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Franco: "Monumental clash between two superb teams. A joy to watch. The kind of physical battle that will attract and hold the casual fan."

I watched the Ohio State-Michigan men's game after the BC-Cuse game...and it was like watching grass grow by comparison -- and I like the men's game.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:10 am
...the ten of us (old guys) on here.
a.k.a. The Pot Belly Ten, a.k.a. The Gray Ten or the slightly more optimistic The Graying Ten

By the bye--how many were there contributing on a regular/irregular basis to the women's lacrosse boards on the ol' Lax Power?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 am
Badlands wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:10 am
...the ten of us (old guys) on here.
a.k.a. The Pot Belly Ten, a.k.a. The Gray Ten or the slightly more optimistic The Graying Ten

By the bye--how many were there contributing on a regular/irregular basis to the women's lacrosse boards on the ol' Lax Power?
Like, 18.

We lost some really informed guys along the way, and LarryGamLax only posts once in a while. LL, LL, 2P, Rafter, UAO and others I'm not recalling are missed here. Holmes always has good things to add, and BRM is a voice of Terpartisan reason....
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Looks like we’ve got another double face-guard
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Well, well! Looks like nobody told Duke they’re supposed to lose this game. They jump out to a 3-1 lead. Good for them.

Olivia Jenner picking up where she left off—2 goals already. Duke up 4-2. UNC having already changed out their goaltender.

North Carolina ties it up. I do have a feeling that it’s only a matter of time before the Heels bust out. How many saves can Gabbe Cadoux make?

7-6 Duke leads at the half. Whooda thunk it? Kate Graydon on color commentary is doing a great job. Too bad we have had to listen to Leah Secondo for the last five games. And Luis Sanchez is an upgrade from Tom Werme as well.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:18 pm Well, well! Looks like nobody told Duke they’re supposed to lose this game. They jump out to a 3-1 lead. Good for them.
14 on Duke (Jenner) is a matchup nightmare for anyone other than maybe Sofield (15 on UNC)
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

UNC-BC matchup on Sunday. That'll be a fun one to watch.

I thought Duke played a pretty good game, especially compared to last Saturday night. Tar Heels just had too much talent to overcome. I think the UND win is enough to get them into the NCAAT.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Question: BC scored a goal in yesterday's Cuse-BC war but it was disallowed because the gal stepped in the crease (looked as if it was after the goal too). Then, BC was given possession of the ball. What's the deal with that? Stepping in the crease costs you the goal but you get the ball back??????
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:18 pm Question: BC scored a goal in yesterday's Cuse-BC war but it was disallowed because the gal stepped in the crease (looked as if it was after the goal too). Then, BC was given possession of the ball. What's the deal with that? Stepping in the crease costs you the goal but you get the ball back??????
my guess is that there was a foul on Cuse off-ball & BC must have won the coin flip before the game to receive the ball first if there should be off-setting fouls.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:18 pm Question: BC scored a goal in yesterday's Cuse-BC war but it was disallowed because the gal stepped in the crease (looked as if it was after the goal too). Then, BC was given possession of the ball. What's the deal with that? Stepping in the crease costs you the goal but you get the ball back??????
Good question. I assumed she was pushed into the crease and the ball was whistled dead. But wouldn’t she have then been given a FPS? Weird.
wlaxnut

North Carolina 16 Duke 11

Post by wlaxnut »

During the critical part of the game when the score was often tied, Duke was the team coughing up the ball. Olivia Jenner frequently ran into traffic unwisely and chose not to pass the ball, taking low percentage shots, trying to make something happen—not cognizant of the fact that UNC had made adjustments on her. Same thing for Charlotte North, who frequently took wild or low percentage shots or ran into traffic trying to make something happen, not wise enough to discern when there was nothing there. UNC intensified their ride/re-defend as the game wore on and Duke wasn’t able to adjust. 
UNC was able to make key adjustments to slow down Duke, but Duke wasn’t able to make any effective adjustments to impact UNC. That was the game. Give Duke credit – they hung tough for a while, but in the end North Carolina's talent and sound strategy overcame Duke's enthusiasm.

Duke’s goaltender Gabbe Cadoux made some big saves early, but eventually UNC overwhelmed her.

(The screaming high register lady was back again. She is definitely from the Duke camp. Hey seacoaster – is your friend from New Jersey still available?)

I don’t know if any of you noticed, but the Tar Heels sideline, without a doubt, was mocking Charlotte North after UNC scored with 25 seconds left in the game. Wow!! I guess some of the folks here on Back-Up Stick are not alone in their disdain for her celebrations.

https://youtu.be/VSL6LmZvyWs

As for the broadcast, it was a great announcing team. Luis Sanchez on the play-by-play, (who typically does color for BC women’s lacrosse home games but he’s a natural play-by-play guy) and Kate Graydon on color commentary, who was a new voice and another breath of fresh air in the new breed with Ashtyn Hiron. They were so much better than out-of-touch Tom Werme and Leah Secondo. They did a great job, especially Ms. Graydon, to question rules, strategy, etc, along with lending insight and a crisp call of the game. Decent camerawork. Shot clock in the score/time remaining banner. Decent balance on the field mics.

In the end—it was as it should be—#1 vs #2. We all want to see a BC/UNC rematch for the ACC title.

Less than 24 hours away, you ten old geezers.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Duke's No. 34 will be reliving her TWO chances down the stretch. Painful.

Thanks for posting the counter-celebration by the UNC sideline. It's good to remember these are college kids.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I’ve had questions about the crease rule for a couple seasons. I know the rule says something unhelpful like “the offensive player may not enter the goal circle” but for how long after the ball enters the net does that apply? I’ve seen goals called off after a shot hits the upper part of the net and has already fallen to the turf and that is when the goal scorer’s momentum carries her into the crease. Obviously if an offensive player steps in the crease while the goalie is raking the ball out, that doesn’t matter. So when is the play over? Pretty sure the rules don’t specify and sometimes refs disallow goals that have been in the net for at least a second before the crease is trespassed. Any of you nine other old guys ever noticed this or have more insight?
wlaxnut

#1 Boston College vs #2 North Carolina for ACC Final

Post by wlaxnut »

“Our result isn't what we wanted, but BC is a great team. They have some of the best players in the country competing right now and they've been on their field for three or four years. We have a lot of respect for them.”

“I thought it was a clinic on how to do the little things really well. They are a complete team right now and they tested us in ways we needed to get tested, so we can continue to evaluate ourselves to get better.”

Quotes from UNC coach Jenny Levy after they lost at home to BC 14-8 back in late March. Sam Apuzzo was the high scorer for BC with 5 goals. UNC’s Ortega had 3 goals and Hoeg dished out 4 assists.

That was 5 weeks ago. What has changed since then? Has UNC made adjustments that will get them revenge? Is BC still just the better team? We’ll see how it all plays out today at 1pm at Alumni Stadium in Newton, Mass. Weather forecast for the game is showers throughout. I don't know which team that helps--if any.

For me, because I am rooting hard for BC, I hope we have a repeat from 5 weeks ago—jump out to an early lead and fight to keep a 3-5 goal cushion the rest of the way.

As to how it will go, I have no idea. Will Abbey Ngai be starting in goal after her shaky play and yanking for Daly off the bench vs Syracuse? Seacoaster is betting a pair of DMac’s old socks that she does. Will BC continue its own over-excited, error-plagued tournament tendencies or will they get back to playing solid controlled BC lacrosse? UNC had a little goalie shakiness of their own vs Duke yesterday. How will that pan out today? Will they feel the absence of a day of rest between games? Will they be able to stop BC’s offensive juggernaut? Will BC be able to stop Ortega and Co, a formidable offensive opponent in their own right.

Unfortunately, I have a lunch appointment so I’ll have to start watching the game after it’s started (from the beginning, having dvr’d it). But that means if I start watching it from the beginning and BC gets down and doesn’t look good early, I may feel compelled to jump ahead to see if BC recovers. If not, I probably won’t see the entire game. Too depressing. Hopefully, that will not be the case. We shall see but we shall see.

Good depiction of the pre and during game internal turmoil I'll feel: https://youtu.be/q15OQ9XYTFI

Enjoy the game you old geezers.
Nigel

Re: #1 Boston College vs #2 North Carolina for ACC Final

Post by Nigel »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:01 am
Good depiction of the pre and during game internal turmoil I'll feel: https://youtu.be/q15OQ9XYTFI
Better clean the pipes wlaxnut...

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”