WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 pm Two dude commentators who were/are beyond annoying.
Neither could wear Ms. Downunda's panties, she was sorely missed!!
that was one of the more annoying broadcasts I have heard...I am still trying to figure out if they were homers (doh). Seemed like they wanted to be, but were trying to hold back.

I'll take the PLN anytime over that group.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:19 am
DMac wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 pm Two dude commentators who were/are beyond annoying.
that was one of the more annoying broadcasts I have heard...I am still trying to figure out if they were homers (doh). Seemed like they wanted to be, but were trying to hold back.

If we could get the Syracuse/ACCN camera crew coupled with the PLN play by play crew, then we’d be golden!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:05 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:19 am

If we could get the Syracuse/ACCN camera crew coupled with the PLN play by play crew, then we’d be golden!
Brady Seabolt is one of my favorite PLN announcers. He did Loyola games with Zoe Stukenberg last year....
wlaxnut

Hofstra at Wagner on NEC Front Row network

Post by wlaxnut »

The link for the games that US Lacrosse publishes is nifty. I only realized a couple of days ago that you can move the mouse over the network that streams or televises the game and it will bring you right to the game. Anyway, the Hofstra at Wagner broadcast yesterday was pretty good. No announcers, which is fine. Most times we complain about them anyway. I know I do. But the person who was manning the camera, they got it. It might’ve been a little herky-jerky but they kept trying to frame the game close enough so that you could see the numbers on the backs clearly and you could get a good feel for the action. They had good strong field mics. You could hear the ball hit off the goaltender stick, and you could certainly hear the crowd as Dr. Tact remarked about humorously in a previous post. I would watch more games if the quality was this good.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Just watched some of Denver at Louisville. Production was generally very strong and the announcers seemed OK at first, but there were two yellows issued in the first 5 minutes and the announcers seemed completely oblivious. Absolutely no mention of the cards or of the player advantage. That's not the first game I have seen so far this season where that has happened, and it's quickly becoming the number one thing that makes me turn off the sound. Announcers who don't understand what a card means or are too clueless to even mention that a player was carded just lose all credibility,particularly when they're blathering on about strategy and don't even realize that one of the teams is playing short handed.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:36 pm Just watched some of Denver at Louisville. Production was generally very strong and the announcers seemed OK at first, but there were two yellows issued in the first 5 minutes and the announcers seemed completely oblivious. Absolutely no mention of the cards or of the player advantage. That's not the first game I have seen so far this season where that has happened, and it's quickly becoming the number one thing that makes me turn off the sound. Announcers who don't understand what a card means or are too clueless to even mention that a player was carded just lose all credibility,particularly when they're blathering on about strategy and don't even realize that one of the teams is playing short handed.
True, true.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 pm You see this yet Doc?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/amp/loyo ... ssion=true
I had not....thanks for sharing.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Female color commentator on Duke/ND game doesn’t know difference between dangerous propelling and dangerous follow through.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

She just said BC is “one of the highest ranked teams in the ACC” and didn’t seem to know that Stony Brook lost yesterday.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:10 pm She just said BC is “one of the highest ranked teams in the ACC” and didn’t seem to know that Stony Brook lost yesterday.
That was "Grace Kelly, a freshman who played lacrosse at Culver Academies in South Bend and is now pursuing journalism at Notre Dame."

Yes--it does help to know what one is talking about in order to become a good journalist 😉
wlaxnut

Broadcasts in 2020

Post by wlaxnut »

Firstly, the quantity is prodigious! We are loaded up with both arms full and just able to peer over the top to see where we're going with the amount of games that are being streamed these days. Who cares if they aren't being televised. Anyone with a computer and the internet can enjoy a whole host of games on a given day.

I have to say that so far the quality has also improved. The folks manning the camera's are getting much better at framing the shot a little tighter in the offensive zone and following the play in general. There are exceptions of course, like the time Doc and I watched the Virginia Tech at JMU game on Facebook Live from our seats on the moon. The person manning the camera eventually moved to the top of the Eiffel Tower for a closer shot and by the end of the game was sitting in the last row of the stands, but by overtime the shot was framed pretty well. JMU's Sentara Park is beautifully situated. Love being able to see the highway parting the trees on the hill in the background on a sunny day. But I digress.

The play-by-play and color commentator aspect is better on the whole. There are some great established color analysts like Sheehan Stanwick-Burch, Rachael DeCecco, Debbie Taylor (occasionally calls Duke home games) et al. Then there are some newer color voices like Dana Boyle and Allison Gaskins (who did a great job calling the Richmond upset over Virginia the other night by herself.) Sometimes there are announcers who are irritating--either because they're uninformed (as Badlands pointed out recently) or who have verbal diarrhea and feel they have to fill up every single moment of air space. This clip is regarding Monday Night Football but it addresses the principle perfectly. https://youtu.be/cYqV_x6eYOI

Sometimes the field mics are perfect. Sometimes too perfect, picking up some loudmouthed leather-lunged dad hollering at the refs. Issues with sound/announcers are easily amended with the volume control though.

Things in the broadcast world of women's lacrosse are fairly bountiful these days. We are in a golden age in my estimation.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:53 am
Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:10 pm She just said BC is “one of the highest ranked teams in the ACC” and didn’t seem to know that Stony Brook lost yesterday.
That was "Grace Kelly, a freshman who played lacrosse at Culver Academies in South Bend and is now pursuing journalism at Notre Dame."

Yes--it does help to know what one is talking about in order to become a good journalist 😉
I didn't realize she is that young. I wish her the best and hope she develops into a fine journalist. I'm sure she will.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Badlands wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:55 am
wlaxnut wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:53 am

I didn't realize she is that young. I wish her the best and hope she develops into a fine journalist. I'm sure she will.
Is she Brian Kelly's daughter?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:33 am Is she Brian Kelly's daughter?
The very same.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Can't remember which game I was watching, but it seemed any foul inside the 8 was announced as shooting space, even when a shooter was put on the deck with a cross-check.

Not sure if they are confusing the ref's hand signal to stop the clock with shooting space (or for you purists... obstruction of free space to the goal) which from a distance might look similar. Ah, heck, maybe they just don't know ;)
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxDad23 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:33 pm Can't remember which game I was watching, but it seemed any foul inside the 8 was announced as shooting space, even when a shooter was put on the deck with a cross-check.

Not sure if they are confusing the ref's hand signal to stop the clock with shooting space (or for you purists... obstruction of free space to the goal) which from a distance might look similar. Ah, heck, maybe they just don't know ;)
I think you are right with the simularity of the signals, but an announcer should know the basics. BTW, I saw one ref this past weekend (D3 game) where he kind of did the "Stop the clock" right at face level....maybe he couldnt raise his arms, but it looked like shooting space (oops obstruction of....) to me.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

LaxDad23 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:33 pm Can't remember which game I was watching, but it seemed any foul inside the 8 was announced as shooting space, even when a shooter was put on the deck with a cross-check.

They definitely don’t know. I often hear any foul that results in a free position (free possession/propulsion?) referred to as shooting space.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:22 pm

They definitely don’t know. I often hear any foul that results in a free position (free possession/propulsion?) referred to as shooting space.
free propulsion :lol:
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

:?
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:34 pm
Badlands wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:22 pm

free propulsion :lol:
Is that like wind energy or something? :?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”