Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by joewillie78 »

Weather forecast for Saturday, noon at Schoellkopf:

High 38, snow showers, wind chill upper 20's.

OK, I have to find all my longjohns again, and get all my winter Jets gear out of the closet., and hope that the concessions don't run out of hot coffee.

Hopefully, alot of yelling and cheering for the Big Red will help keep me heated up.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:39 pm The officiating debacle in Denver is really a shame. This is a top 5-6 team with a win in Denver and the team deserved a better fate than that loss.
I agree 100% that Cornell deserved that win, and were in control of that game until the refs took over with 20 minutes left.

That said, Cornell benefitted from two pretty iffy calls yesterday. Dalton's goal (Goldstein's first assist) that made the game 6-2, I felt that there was one replay angle that fairly clearly showed his stick on the ground in the crease before the ball crosse the goal line. I can see why the refs didn't overturn the call on the field, but I think Cornell got a little lucky there. (Though we're talking about a half-second difference at most, so it's not like this was an egregious or outrageous miscall).

Then, near the end of the game, Princeton had a goal waved off for an illegal pick that would have made the score 14-12. I just didn't see it. Again, not an outrageously bad call, but I felt the refs missed that one.

Again, nothing that comes close to raising to the level of what happened in Denver, but Cornell got a little lucky imo. Either of those calls goes the other way, this might have been a different result.
Cornell95

Post by Cornell95 »

maybe halfway through the 4th I remarked to a friend watching the stream that it was surprising that there had been no EMOs for either team and that after Princeton's early FO procedure calls, minimal ref involvement there. also dont remember long delays on restarts to move players outside the box etc
either the teams/players are figuring out the tone, or the refs have put away the preseason guidance
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 am
Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:39 pm The officiating debacle in Denver is really a shame. This is a top 5-6 team with a win in Denver and the team deserved a better fate than that loss.
I agree 100% that Cornell deserved that win, and were in control of that game until the refs took over with 20 minutes left.

That said, Cornell benefitted from two pretty iffy calls yesterday. Dalton's goal (Goldstein's first assist) that made the game 6-2, I felt that there was one replay angle that fairly clearly showed his stick on the ground in the crease before the ball crosse the goal line. I can see why the refs didn't overturn the call on the field, but I think Cornell got a little lucky there. (Though we're talking about a half-second difference at most, so it's not like this was an egregious or outrageous miscall).

Then, near the end of the game, Princeton had a goal waved off for an illegal pick that would have made the score 14-12. I just didn't see it. Again, not an outrageously bad call, but I felt the refs missed that one.

Again, nothing that comes close to raising to the level of what happened in Denver, but Cornell got a little lucky imo. Either of those calls goes the other way, this might have been a different result.
Also, late in the game when I believe Princeton was up 14-12, and a shot clearly hit the post dead on and rebounded out to mid-field. If that shot goes in, and Tully was clearly beaten, Princeton probably wins.

The margin of error is so small in these games, and you know me, I'm a big believer in things evening out in the end, so I'm sure the Denver debacle will be made up for somewhere in the Big Reds future.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 am

Also, late in the game when I believe Princeton was up 14-12, and a shot clearly hit the post dead on and rebounded out to mid-field. If that shot goes in, and Tully was clearly beaten, Princeton probably wins.

The margin of error is so small in these games, and you know me, I'm a big believer in things evening out in the end, so I'm sure the Denver debacle will be made up for somewhere in the Big Reds future.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Yes, time to let the Denver game go; I think that our Big Red finally got some breaks during yesterday's game. This team has so much potential and with some improvement on recognizable "issues" they should be in position to make a run into May. But they can no longer take anyone for granted and must concentrate every moment of the game.

I for one hope that we see both Denver and Penn State again...

LGR! (I had my first Flower Power yesterday and can agree with JW; a darn good beverage!)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Great--and gutsy-- move by the Red after the timeout to hop into a zone. While Princeton may not have expected it, they should've been able to adjust pretty quickly on the fly. Nonetheless, the move clearly got the Tigers out of sync. Topsy turvy game of runs yesterday. The IL is going to be brutal this season; every game is tight! Looking forward to see how it plays out..
Last edited by FMUBart on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU88a wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:42 am
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Yes, time to let the Denver game go; I think that our Big Red finally got some breaks during yesterday's game. This team has so much potential and with some improvement on recognizable "issues" they should be in position to make a run into May. But they can no longer take anyone for granted and must concentrate every moment of the game.

I for one hope that we see both Denver and Penn State again...

LGR! (I had my first Flower Power yesterday and can agree with JW; a darn good beverage!)
Congrats on finding one of the best IPA's produced in the Ithaca area. It's by far my favorite.

Others I like are Southern Tier IPA, and Cascazilla.

I get Southern Tier IPA at Kelly's Dockside Cafe and I get Cascazilla at The Falls restaurant in Trumansburg, as neither carry Flower power.

I think theirs a good chance we see Denver or PSU sometime in May.

The team has clearly changed alot as Goldstein, Tully, and Nikolic are now clearly prime time players.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

that was one of the best games I have ever seen - no emotional tie to either team , but that last goal jumped me out of my seat
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Loved seeing the Freshmen step up against Princeton

#3 is a warrior

I remain highly concerned about the defense… we look clueless

And I hope our SSDMs heal fast
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 am I agree 100% that Cornell deserved that win, and were in control of that game until the refs took over with 20 minutes left.

if it was just the stick and not a glove, etc., that's not a crease violation during a shot or otherwise.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:22 am
ICGrad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 am I agree 100% that Cornell deserved that win, and were in control of that game until the refs took over with 20 minutes left.

if it was just the stick and not a glove, etc., that's not a crease violation during a shot or otherwise.
Really. Huh...thanks for the clarification.

I take that back then. It was definitely the head of the stick that I saw on the replay, nothing more.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

That was magical game, crazy swings.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

While I don't see the boys practice and certainly defer to the coaches, I was somewhat surprised to see Tully start in goal yesterday. Granted the in-game sample size is extremely small, but Knust performed well in the first four games. Both he and Tully were in the cage for "a ton" of PSU goals...without credible defensive support as well as a sub-par performance in the middle of the field in general. My take is that Knust looked like a good shot stopper (quick hands), while Tully definitely (as reputed, based on his HS rep) looked like the better keeper in the clearing game.
Regardless, Tully's athleticism/clearing skills will be a timely add this Saturday against Yale's hard 10 man ride. As I mentioned more than once last season, Yale's 10 man features a bit of a wrinkle. They retreat to around mid-field and match up against opponents' poles, mids, and attackmen - but not the goalie. That was a problem last season as Ierlan never pushed things upfield forcing Yale to engage. The result was 'pretty much' (other than very short, very tight windows) nowhere to through the ball. And because Ierlan wasn't covered, an extra defender to double. This should not happen with Tully - I'm sure he will be the aggressor and force Yale to engage. Someone should be open.
Also, last season, Cornell had to resort to clearing (though successful on most occasions) to near-full field "shots," with an attackman near the opposite end line to ensure that a Cornell player was closest to the ball if the clear/shot went wide or long. My guess is that we'll see some of this on Saturday, but with Tully, my hope it will be the exception.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:51 pm While I don't see the boys practice and certainly defer to the coaches, I was somewhat surprised to see Tully start in goal yesterday. Granted the in-game sample size is extremely small, but Knust performed well in the first four games. Both he and Tully were in the cage for "a ton" of PSU goals...without credible defensive support as well as a sub-par performance in the middle of the field in general. My take is that Knust looked like a good shot stopper (quick hands), while Tully definitely (as reputed, based on his HS rep) looked like the better keeper in the clearing game.
Regardless, Tully's athleticism/clearing skills will be a timely add this Saturday against Yale's hard 10 man ride. As I mentioned more than once last season, Yale's 10 man features a bit of a wrinkle. They retreat to around mid-field and match up against opponents' poles, mids, and attackmen - but not the goalie. That was a problem last season as Ierlan never pushed things upfield forcing Yale to engage. The result was 'pretty much' (other than very short, very tight windows) nowhere to through the ball. And because Ierlan wasn't covered, an extra defender to double. This should not happen with Tully - I'm sure he will be the aggressor and force Yale to engage. Someone should be open.
Also, last season, Cornell had to resort to clearing (though successful on most occasions) to near-full field "shots," with an attackman near the opposite end line to ensure that a Cornell player was closest to the ball if the clear/shot went wide or long. My guess is that we'll see some of this on Saturday, but with Tully, my hope it will be the exception.
VRR,
As usual, great analysis but remember, Ierlan last year was operating under the old rules of 20 seconds to get in the box, so much more urgency to move it, where this year, you really don't have that urgency as you get 80 seconds once you secure possession, so you can be a bit more deliberate and careful, and as quickly as this offense can get shots off, the little bit of time they lose with a more deliberate clear, really doesn't affect this offense.

Tully can take his time if he sees nothing but having his more daring style when he does sense a time to attack the clear, I think gives him the edge we may need against Yales ride.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Oh, I did not know that the clearing rule had changed!
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Some really fine insights already posted by the likes of VRR and Chousnake and others. Some spot-on analysis. I will attempt here only to add to some of the finer points.

Overall this was obviously a key win. Not perfect by any means. So much to work on. But keep in mind that this was a very high level offense we faced in Princeton. They are excellent. Maybe just a step down from Penn State but still a big time team.

Defense: Much has been said and this is a big concern. On the positive side - excellent job on Mackasey (by 43) and Kabiri (by 45). Stellar work. best game I've ever seen 43 play in a Red uniform. Balanced, great footwork, anticipation and never let 91 get to his strong left side. No penalties. Just an outstanding day for him. 45 is also very good. Yes - he let Kabiri underneath him at end of first half - but that was his only real blemish. I think you will see more zone from Cornell in all of those spots - late in quarters and shot clocks (more on that later). Dooley's goal was just a lightning bolt (Captain Obvious?). But he read the Tiger D perfectly on his charge as they dared him to shoot. He wanted to pass to #1 but the D did not slide. The smart thing is that he got as close to the goal as possible!! That made the shot impossible for the goalie to track.

Negatives: our SSDMs are - no surprise - a big concern. Yesterday we were missing our top two - 7 and 5. Of course there will be a drop off . 13 and 77 are now the top options. They each struggled in spots - but also had some good moments. 6 continues to struggle (although his play at the end was excellent). 38 got one run and waved at the dodger as he ran past him. The addition of 2 may be very important. He is an elite athlete and can help the team in a number of ways. But my beef is this: our scheme often positions the SSDMs to fail. They are guarding fast players 25-30 yards from the goal and letting them get a head of steam. They also press out without purpose at the worst times - late in the shot clock they sometimes overplay dodgers down the alleys and let them get to the middle of the field for good looks!! Why!! Just ride them down the alleys or do anything to prevent them from getting topside middle. So much work to do here. We need 7 back and 2 to continue to improve - and with 13 and 77 (and 6 in spots) it can be an effective unit. One other key thing: the SSDMS need to make the simple/correct pass in unsettled breaks. Don't shoot except in rare instances. On one play 77 had 30 all alone for a layup goal in Q4 and took an atrocious shot. No back up and ball went to Tigers. That goal was critical and we wasted it. Great teams do not do that!!!! Sad to say this - but that play felt like the OT faceoff v Michigan last year. They need to be coached up hard that they should not shoot in that spot unless there is literally nothing else!!!

Goal: to me, both goalies are very good and play much the same way. Maybe Tully is a little better in clears - and that will be tested v Yale this weekend. But it is very close. 55 started great yesterday but then had some mediocre shots find the net for a long stretch. He recovered at the end - but to be fair there was a long stretch where we just need a huge save and couldn't get it. He will be fine and is a huge talent. But don't forget about 19 - he is also an excellent player. Good problem to have. Yale rides very smartly and will be a big challenge.

Offense: I could go on for pages here - but just a couple of key things. Goldstein was obviously electric and will be a fixture now. He can really dodge and shoot. But his turnovers must be addressed - and I think it is simply him knowing his strengths. I think VRR pointed out - but he should not be lowering his shoulder and initiating contact when he dodges. That was at least two turnovers. Use your quickness. And sometimes he is simply playing too fast and out of control. Those things will improve. And please stop the behind the back shot on the doorstep. Good lord - this is not summer club ball. Fake and bury it overhand. We needed every goal yesterday and wasted that shot. I don't want to hear about "improving his angle", etc. He put popcorn right into the goalie's stick on that one. But the most positive thing is that the offense will really open up now. No way you can send a shorty to him. And teams have tried to short stick #1 and that won't work. So 51, 31 and 27 will all benefit. only one shorty for those three. We will need to exploit that!! 51 suddenly is trying to put a hole in the net with his shooting. Calm down, use your excellent instincts and wait another half second. He's too good a player to shoot like that. And finally - a shout out to big 27. Just a fantastic performance. Took one bad shot early and then was awesome. He is still a huge weapon and a match up nightmare. And 16 - wow!!! He will also get a lot more time and will be encouraged to take charge. Again - he must limit TOs and take good shots - but he will be an excellent player.

And I read that 15 needs to make better shot decisions. Not wrong. But he will also get more freedom with the new personnel. He will be fine.

one final point: the offense will practice extensively now with 30 at X, 1 and 15 on wings and 27, 31 and 51 up top. Things will improve. Keep in mind they hadn't really practiced yet with this group. They will get better, smoother, smarter and more efficient - all as a unit!!

Finally - face offs. We need to make the best of it without 20 and that boils down solely to wing play. Our FOGOs are at least giving us a chance most of the time. But our wings just seem to run full steam into the scrums with reckless abandon. The ball will often pop out naturally - and the great GB guys understand this. We just need better feel here - the hustle is not the problem. It felt like 80% of the 50/50 balls went to Tigers in middle of field. Watch 45, 15 and 1 on GBs - they are fantastic GB guys. Alas, I know they can't go to the wings.

That's it. Bottom line - great to get that W on such a nice day in a great environment. Will have to improve greatly this weekend. Yale is another level of offense power. But there are new faces and reason for more optimism. Thanks for bearing with my wordy summary - but just really fun to watch and then write!!!

LGR!!! VF
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the clearing rules haven't changed since at least the advent of the shot clock in 2019? 80 seconds upon gaining possession, 20 to clear the midline. no over and back allowed once that clock is under 60. no more having to get into the box.

if there's a reset in the offensive end (foul on defense, shot on cage hitting pipe or the goalie), the clock is reset to 60.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

JoeWillie --- I'm 99+% sure that the rule isan 80 second shot clock once a team gains offensive possession. The 20 second rule to cross mid-field in still in effect. What's different is that while clearing, you can return from the offensive side of the field to the defensive side, as long as it's within the 20 seconds.
Bottom line, Tully while be an asset in the aspect of the game.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:23 pm JoeWillie --- I'm 99+% sure that the rule isan 80 second shot clock once a team gains offensive possession. The 20 second rule to cross mid-field in still in effect. What's different is that while clearing, you can return from the offensive side of the field to the defensive side, as long as it's within the 20 seconds.
Bottom line, Tully while be an asset in the aspect of the game.
correct, but returning to the defensive side of the field inside 20 seconds has always been allowed.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

wgdsr - interesting, I did not know that prior to this season you could go back to the defensive side of the field as long as it was within 20 seconds. Good pick up.

VF
-Yep, you hit all the points. One observation you pointed out that I hadn't thought about/picked up on before is how our shorties are not pushing out more on alley dodges. It seems like (lately) alley dodgers have been able to score on what are now called "twisters" or by switching from their right hand to their left to get a better shooting angle. Cornell was always so good at cutting the angle on alley dodgers during Coach T's years. He always used to say that he didn't mind opponents taking lots of shots, as long as they were from low % spots on the field.
Also, your point about where our shorties are picking up is particularly important now that the team is shorthanded, playing without Davis and Bozzi. While I typically believe where to pick up should be a function of matchups (i.e., who the defender is and who the dodger is) not now - play it more conservatively. Why have ss's pick up way out when they're already logging a ton of minutes. A dodger can't hurt you from 30-40 yards out.
-I would not be surprised given the need to pole Goldstein, that teams will be a shortie on Long and double pole the 1st team mids. I recall that Yale put a shortie on Long last year...and did not work out well (for Yale).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”