Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PulpExposure

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by PulpExposure »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pm The end of regulation was superior lacrosse, both teams.
Well it was hugely entertaining, but absolutely terrible defense on both ends...
lilax

Post by lilax »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:43 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:37 pm Felt like Syracuse lost this one more than Cornell won it. They were up big early and halted their own run with a bunch of stupid penalties. 4 man up goals, 9 minutes of penalties, and a bunch of stupid turnovers lead to Cornell sticking around a little too long.

That one has to hurt for orange fans. Felt like they were the better team up until the last 3 or 4 minutes of regulation.

Also why didn’t they let #22 be #22 late in the game? Spallina was winning his matchup and facilitating the offense the whole game with 7 points, but then once the game is on the line you don’t even try to get the ball in his stick? He touched the ball for a combined 10 seconds in OT.
Think you pretty much nailed it. The horrific amount of penalties, really bad 2nd half with just some unconscious turnovers and inability to beat a 10 man cost them. Offense also just looked tired and listless in the 2nd half. Gait needed to pule Mule and go with Birt or the 5 star frosh, he was lost all game. Also not to be that guy but the officiating was absolutely horrendous.

ALso agree about OT, Spallina should have had the ball to start. The one time he actually touched it he put a dime on Thomson who got stuffed. Gait teams have had major issues with penalties and clearing against a good ride or a 10 man, both were again major issues. Give Cornell credit they battled of course but SU definitely pissed it away.
Cornell made a very subtle adjustment halfway through the 3rd quarter. They pushed out on Spallina and took X away. Thus forcing him to catch the ball outside the box or deep at X when he was passed too. Up until that point Spallina sat at X and picked the Cornell D apart with passes to cutters.

Spallina isn’t a speed dodger, and is better the closer he is to the cage when he can use leverage to his advantage.

It seemed Syracuse elected to play 5x5 above the cage.

The adjustment slowed Cuse’s ball movement to the backside and made English, Leo and Rhoa play hero ball.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

lilax wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:23 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:43 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:37 pm Felt like Syracuse lost this one more than Cornell won it. They were up big early and halted their own run with a bunch of stupid penalties. 4 man up goals, 9 minutes of penalties, and a bunch of stupid turnovers lead to Cornell sticking around a little too long.

That one has to hurt for orange fans. Felt like they were the better team up until the last 3 or 4 minutes of regulation.

Also why didn’t they let #22 be #22 late in the game? Spallina was winning his matchup and facilitating the offense the whole game with 7 points, but then once the game is on the line you don’t even try to get the ball in his stick? He touched the ball for a combined 10 seconds in OT.
Think you pretty much nailed it. The horrific amount of penalties, really bad 2nd half with just some unconscious turnovers and inability to beat a 10 man cost them. Offense also just looked tired and listless in the 2nd half. Gait needed to pule Mule and go with Birt or the 5 star frosh, he was lost all game. Also not to be that guy but the officiating was absolutely horrendous.

ALso agree about OT, Spallina should have had the ball to start. The one time he actually touched it he put a dime on Thomson who got stuffed. Gait teams have had major issues with penalties and clearing against a good ride or a 10 man, both were again major issues. Give Cornell credit they battled of course but SU definitely pissed it away.
Cornell made a very subtle adjustment halfway through the 3rd quarter. They pushed out on Spallina and took X away. Thus forcing him to catch the ball outside the box or deep at X when he was passed too. Up until that point Spallina sat at X and picked the Cornell D apart with passes to cutters.

Spallina isn’t a speed dodger, and is better the closer he is to the cage when he can use leverage to his advantage.

It seemed Syracuse elected to play 5x5 above the cage.

The adjustment slowed Cuse’s ball movement to the backside and made English, Leo and Rhoa play hero ball.
Yup excellent point, I believe your accurate as SU got away from Spallina in the third and all of the fourth. SU tried to counter with Mule on a short stick but he had a god awful game. English, Leo and Roa finished with 7 goals between them but most were in the 1st half. SU should have pressed the issue more and picked to get Spallina free or let him come up top and then dodge back to X.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Tough loss! Had 2 shots w little angle in 2OT to win it . Now this team has 2 games remaining in the next 30 days til the Conf tournament. How will they react ? That is alot of time. Especially, after playing twice a week (aprox) for 8 weeks.
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:55 pm
Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:45 pm
Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:40 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:39 pm Game highlighted how insignificant Gait's coaching is.

O went silent against a poor d when March was ejected
Why was he ejected?
Just found this:
https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... utType=amp

Looks like he may made contact with the official.
That makes more sense then saying something verbal.
I have to say its very sad that SU keeps losing games like this. Taking these unsportsman like penalties with a 7 goal lead when your absolutely running the other team off the field is just plain ridiculous. This is where the head coach has to step in and stop the non sense. Its one thing to play aggressive and hard, but these penalties are just stupid. I have watched every SU game this year, and it has happened at least once in most of their games, especially when they play at home. Now maybe they are given more leeway at home, but even so, its now a problem. One game, SU's "best player" decided to run up on a defenseman for the other team who was just called for a late hit on one of his teammates, like he was going to do anything, all 5'8" of him running up on a 6'-5" defenseman. What happened? he took a unsportsmanlike penalty so there was no man advantage for SU. Gait needs to step up and lay down the law for this to stop, or it will just continue to cost them. They beat themselves....sad
Finster

Post by Finster »

There’s just so much to say. Not sure a post can capture the moment.

First and mostly, congrats to Cornell and JoeWillie. What an epic game for the ages. And for those fans in the stands, hats off to you, too.

My biggest takeaway isn’t we lost, or disappointment, but just appreciation for this sport. I’ve just finished watching the highlights. The last thirty seconds of the game are historic.

Cornell’s hero imo is a kid who lost his starters job to the freshman Tully. Knust is a kid from Tampa freaking Florida! Not New York Maryland or New Jersey. And yet he remained ready, on the bench, and on a rainy night. Came in and turned the game around. Great coach’s decision.

Amazing sport.

Too many thoughts but wow. Congrats JoeWillie!!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Finster wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:06 am There’s just so much to say. Not sure a post can capture the moment.

But first and mostly, congrats to Cornell and JoeWillie. What an epic game for the ages. And for those fans in the stands, hats off to you, too.

My biggest other takeaway isn’t we lost, or disappointment, but just appreciation for this sport. I’ve just finished watching the highlights. The last thirty seconds of the game are historic.

Cornell’s hero imo is a kid who lost his starters job to the freshman Tully. Knust is a kid from Tampa freaking Florida! Not New York Maryland or New Jersey. And yet he remained ready, on the bench, and on a rainy night. Came in and turned the game around. Great coach’s decision.

Amazing sport.

Classy post, and Fin, it was just a classic D1 lacrosse game, where in reality, neither team deserved to lose.

I'm not sure the best team won last night but I am positive the GUTTIEST team won last night.

This is such a great rivalry, and I'm hoping these 2 teams meet again in late May.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:56 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pm The end of regulation was superior lacrosse, both teams.
Well it was hugely entertaining, but absolutely terrible defense on both ends...
Told some of my work buddies to tune into the game. They loved it. As a casual spectator, I don't think you can ask for a better "intro" game.

But agreed, defense was horrendous for both sides.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Again,

great, great game,

both teams.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:20 am
Finster wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:06 am There’s just so much to say. Not sure a post can capture the moment.

But first and mostly, congrats to Cornell and JoeWillie. What an epic game for the ages. And for those fans in the stands, hats off to you, too.

My biggest other takeaway isn’t we lost, or disappointment, but just appreciation for this sport. I’ve just finished watching the highlights. The last thirty seconds of the game are historic.

Amazing sport.

Classy post, and Fin, it was just a classic D1 lacrosse game, where in reality, neither team deserved to lose.

I'm not sure the best team won last night but I am positive the GUTTIEST team won last night.

This is such a great rivalry, and I'm hoping these 2 teams meet again in late May.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Hopefully,

Spallina, Mark, Hiltz, Dwan and the others will take away notes from this game,
I think a lot of those guys are still learning,

many on the Cornell side played in the Title game,
that is the kind of effort needed to get to Championship weekend.
Finster

Post by Finster »

So many interesting side notes to this game. And 10Stone is correct; you’ll learn more from a game like this than not.

Does anyone see that Dwan is now up to 5 goals scored on the season? As defenseman, that’s impressive.

Not sure he made the correct decision on the last play, leaving Kirst to slide to Wirtheim, but honestly I don’t think there was a great decision to be had no matter what he elected to do. Got to credit Wirtheim; his motor was on full even in a second OT.

Also have to credit Kirst; if you see his shot setup, he took a full extra step into the shot which it doesn’t look like he’ll initially do. I love the kid Hottle, but I think Kirst has nearly 50 pounds on him; would have been a tough matchup if Kirst chose to set up a play instead.

This game!! Wow. If I wrote this script and handed it to a movie studio, they’d laugh me out of the room for such an implausible scenario. 😂 Just a great great game, no matter your allegiance. In those conditions? Crazy!

Well now we sit for ten days. At least the gals look unbeatable.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Amazing sport.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Hopefully see a rematch in tourney, do believe Cuse is the more well rounded team possessing needed keys at Fogo and G , that balance is countered by Big Red having the two best players ibetween the teams n Kirst and Long as well as Buczek providing a sideline edge over Ric Flair .

Woke up this a.m. very disappointed and annoyed at some attempted shade, Cuse should not be losing 7-0 lead at this stage with present makeup of roster.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:58 am Had 2 shots w little angle in 2OT to win it .
When you couple this, with the absence of March in the OT portion of the game....those were crucial ill-advised situational shots. It seems more like a summer ball offense mentality, which is not a bad thing, so long as discipline and situational awareness is part of the equation...and that is where I believe March would/could have inserted himself in those O-huddles.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Finster

Post by Finster »

stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:29 am

Amazing sport.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Hopefully see a rematch in tourney, do believe Cuse is the more well rounded team possessing needed keys at Fogo and G , that balance is countered by Big Red having the two best players ibetween the teams n Kirst and Long as well as Buczek providing a sideline edge over Ric Flair .

Woke up this a.m. very disappointed and annoyed at some attempted shade, Cuse should not be losing 7-0 lead at this stage with present makeup of roster.

Ric Flair. lol. I just laughed so hard. 😂😂😂

I think your synopsis is correct. Kohn won 77% of his FO’s.

I’d add Kelleher to that Cornell list of Kirst and Long. That kid is very good.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Amazing sport.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

I don't mean to make it worse or rub it in, but everyone is making a big deal out of the 7-0 lead, but that was early. Cornell cut it to 7-4 early in the 2nd quarter. Syracuse also led 13-6 late in the 2nd quarter and 16-10 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Amazing sport.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
...providing a sideline edge over Ric Flair .
I have learned to love Gary, it took years; but I am praying that this "tag" sticks!

:lol:
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:36 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:58 am Had 2 shots w little angle in 2OT to win it .
When you couple this, with the absence of March in the OT portion of the game....those were crucial ill-advised situational shots. It seems more like a summer ball offense mentality, which is not a bad thing, so long as discipline and situational awareness is part of the equation...and that is where I believe March would/could have inserted himself in those O-huddles.
Understand bad look but little issue with Rhoa attempt as he has made those angled shots before in key moments. What most bothers is Cuse down the stretch sloppiness by several Cuse players that led to numerous turnovers depriving opportunities that could have sealed game . Big Red clearing the ball better factored, little notice but d of orange poles up top in tough games have struggled. DM Rice and Dwan have shined and both should be drawing AA consideration . Just can't leave Kirst open, knew game was over the moment slide off was occurring.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

I am not a diehard fan like most in this thread, however, I usually root for cuse in most games and I think they are very fun to watch from a lacrosse fans perspective. But the way they played last night was brutal. There is a starting attackmen on that field who carries himself like he could care less about being out there. He has also been guarded by a shorty the last few games and is very passive. Why does cuse not have him attacking that shortstick more?? He is a great player when he is on. I do not understand how leo is not down there at this point.
molo

Post by molo »

Good point. They run two pretty equal midfields but play start an attackman that most teams short.
Related trivia question: how many other games have you seen in which both teams ran EMO units that omitted a starting attackman? I’ve seen a few teams that don’t run their starting attack on EMO but don’t recall a game where both teams did so.
Bonus question: what do you think of SU’s strategy of playing an entirely different unit on EMD?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:36 am
I think you're giving March far too much credit. SU, especially Spallina, was great in the 2 man game yesterday and should've touched the ball more as others have noted. Perhaps March will stop crying to the refs in the future and just coach. Both teams had good chances to win in OT and both goalies were very good in stretches. Fun game to watch!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”