Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:04 am 14 turnovers and 5 shots on goal in the second half is why Hopkins lost
Spot on. It looked to me that JHU was working out kinks in the B1G Final that UNC, Duke, and others were working out 6 weeks ago. JHU was late in their progress. With this said, 51, as your saying, this bodes well for 2022. Hopefully they'll be doing what they were doing last night, in the month of March instead of in May.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:19 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:04 am 14 turnovers and 5 shots on goal in the second half is why Hopkins lost
Spot on. It looked to me that JHU was working out kinks in the B1G Final that UNC, Duke, and others were working out 6 weeks ago. JHU was late in their progress. With this said, 51, as your saying, this bodes well for 2022. Hopefully they'll be doing what they were doing last night, in the month of March instead of in May.
New staff and no fall ball and a late preseason. Coaches and players did a good job figuring it out. Team looked good down the stretch. Looked like they were having fun.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:04 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end.
Exactly what planet do you live on? There was only one penalty on Hopkins in the 4th quarter and it WAS DEFINITELY a penalty that would have been called by 100% of the refs - you cannot blast an opposing player into his own bench way after he's let go of the ball - cross check or unnecessary - should have been called. Whether it was fatigue or frustration it was a horrible decision. The ball was live and being contested and it was essentially your last chance. The one on Epstein is by rule - he broke his stick hitting a player. I don't remember the McManus slash - might have been ticky tacky but it didn't cost Hopkins a goal - so it was 3 personal fouls Hopkins 2 personal fouls Maryland and one of Maryland's was non releasable. What exactly was one-sided? Refs didn't matter AT ALL. 14 turnovers and 5 shots on goal in the second half is why Hopkins lost
You're totally wrong.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:37 am You're totally wrong.
Please enlighten - the quote was "THOSE BOGUS EMOs for Maryland AT THE END". Sorry if the English language escapes you but "THOSE" and "EMOs" imply plurality - i.e. more than one. There was only one penalty on Hopkins in the entire 4th quarter. That is ONE not more than one. The slashing call on Mcmanus happened with approximately 1/3 of the game left - something like between 18 and 19 minutes so I am going to say that is not AT THE END. So don't let the facts get in the way of your delusional narrative - you never have before.

AND McManus absolutely freight trained the Maryland player after the ball was gone - ol Dixie - a former Hopkins midfielder offered the same opinion. I guess he was totally wrong too
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Sun May 09, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think the 2nd half slowdown and sloppiness was some great mystery. The kids were GASSED. Again, two games in three days and they left absolutely everything out on the field against Rutgers on Thursday to win that game. I think Maryland was feeling it too—they couldn't get very much going on offense either and were pretty sloppy at times too—but perhaps not to the same degree, since their semi-final matchup was far easier and they had a week off prior to that. It's been a long, trying season—I just don't think the Jays had much left in the tank and when that happens the mental game starts to creep in. You realize you don't have the legs to run by your man so you start forcing passes onto the crease or throwing desperation checks/hits that turn into penalties.

Milliman did use both of his timeouts in the second half but I don't think it would have made a significant difference to use one earlier. Maybe. But probably not. There was also a media timeout which provided the opportunity to reset. I just think they were physically and mentally exhausted. Not saying it played a role, but final exams were also this week.

It was a good effort. 51 keeps harping on this but you cannot accuse this team of quitting at any point this season and certainly not last night. They play hard and with the exception of the very first game of the season coming off the campus pause, they have been "in" every game. You absolutely can't say that about last year's team, which would routinely get run off the field in the first half and never make it interesting. This team would probably beat Mount St. Mary's by 10. Heck, this team would beat last year's team by 10.

The question for 2022 will be if they can maintain the level of play of the last 3+ weeks for an entire season. If not, it'll be another bumpy ride. If they can, the Blue Jays will very much be back in the mix.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:48 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:37 am You're totally wrong.
Please enlighten - the quote was "THOSE BOGUS EMOs for Maryland AT THE END". Sorry if the English language escapes you but "THOSE" and "EMOs" imply plurality - i.e. more than one. There was only one penalty on Hopkins in the entire 4th quarter. That is ONE not more than one. The slashing call on Mcmanus happened with approximately 1/3 of the game left - something like between 18 and 19 minutes so I am going to say that is not AT THE END. So don't let the facts get in the way of your delusional narrative - you never have before.
My but we're getting picky.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am My but we're getting picky.
Nice retort when you don't have anything constructive to say - what's next?
"I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you"
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:56 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am My but we're getting picky.
Nice retort when you don't have anything constructive to say - what's next?
"I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you"
You said it, not me.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:51 am I don't think the 2nd half slowdown and sloppiness was some great mystery. The kids were GASSED. Again, two games in three days and they left absolutely everything out on the field against Rutgers on Thursday to win that game. I think Maryland was feeling it too—they couldn't get very much going on offense either and were pretty sloppy at times too—but perhaps not to the same degree, since their semi-final matchup was far easier and they had a week off prior to that. It's been a long, trying season—I just don't think the Jays had much left in the tank and when that happens the mental game starts to creep in. You realize you don't have the legs to run by your man so you start forcing passes onto the crease or throwing desperation checks/hits that turn into penalties.

Milliman did use both of his timeouts in the second half but I don't think it would have made a significant difference to use one earlier. Maybe. But probably not. There was also a media timeout which provided the opportunity to reset. I just think they were physically and mentally exhausted. Not saying it played a role, but final exams were also this week.

It was a good effort. 51 keeps harping on this but you cannot accuse this team of quitting at any point this season and certainly not last night. They play hard and with the exception of the very first game of the season coming off the campus pause, they have been "in" every game. You absolutely can't say that about last year's team, which would routinely get run off the field in the first half and never make it interesting. This team would probably beat Mount St. Mary's by 10. Heck, this team would beat last year's team by 10.

The question for 2022 will be if they can maintain the level of play of the last 3+ weeks for an entire season. If not, it'll be another bumpy ride. If they can, the Blue Jays will very much be back in the mix.
the only thing that troubled me last night, and there were positives all over the field at a lot of areas we've struggled with for years, was that the offense went ice cold in the second half and that's supposed to be the strength of the team, in particular the attack. Williams was a known terp killer and he did not have a great game. PM and JGJ were not able to solve whatever the terps were doing on defense. The first half was arguably the best of the last 2 years.
DocBarrister

A Win in Life

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:51 am I don't think the 2nd half slowdown and sloppiness was some great mystery. The kids were GASSED. Again, two games in three days and they left absolutely everything out on the field against Rutgers on Thursday to win that game. I think Maryland was feeling it too—they couldn't get very much going on offense either and were pretty sloppy at times too—but perhaps not to the same degree, since their semi-final matchup was far easier and they had a week off prior to that. It's been a long, trying season—I just don't think the Jays had much left in the tank and when that happens the mental game starts to creep in. You realize you don't have the legs to run by your man so you start forcing passes onto the crease or throwing desperation checks/hits that turn into penalties.

Yes, fatigue, and the Maryland ride and D.

The Terps turned up the pressure just as Hopkins was feeling their third contest in 8 days.

I’m very sad the season is over ... these Blue Jays could have made some noise in the NCAA tournament.

But I am glad we got a peak at what Milliman, Koesterer, and JGJr could do with our players. Those here anxious about whether Hopkins has enough talent, skill, athleticism, speed, and size to compete at the highest level need not worry anymore. We do, although we could always use more of that.

We have a great set of underclassmen returning, a good class coming in, and a stellar set of veterans. If Fernandez is the gb machine everyone says he is, we’re looking pretty good at LSM. It’s pretty reassuring that Joey Epstein has two years of eligibility remaining. If by some miracle we can convince Reinson, Delaney, and DeSimone to all return ... well, everyone might have a lot of “fun” next season.

Boy, it was fun for me to watch this team improve each week and see the (sadly) final results in the B1G tournament. The record books will say this season was a disappointment, with just the 3rd missed NCAA tournament in 51 years, but this season was anything but a disappointment considering all the circumstances.

Sometimes the wins in life don’t come with a “W” or a trophy. Count this season among them.

Well done, Blue Jays!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 am
tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end. You gotta let teams play in the fourth quarter, not micromanage the game like it's HS girl's lacrosse. Reminded me of the totally bogus endline call in the last MD game where Marcille was CLEARLY closer to the ball going out than the UMD player. The Z film analysis on that one says it wasn't even close. Conspiracy theory? Hmmm.....

D looked great all game. IF the Jays could have done much of anything on offense in the second half they would have won that game anyway despite the refs. Jays went toe-to-toe with the best team in the country last night after a very long chaotic year. The team showed a ton of heart last night. I didn't think there was much hope for the future three weeks ago but now I definitely do.
IMO, the officiating was fine... with the possible exception of the first half goal where Hop player wound up in goal mouth. Thought flag should have been thrown and push called on Terps.
And wave off the goal?
Sorry. Yes 44, isn't that the rule, incidental contact or not?
I mean, I think(?) that's the rule, but every instance this year was like it's own unique interpretation. Dixon was perplexed and he's right. It happened over and over again this year. The rule needs to be changed. Simplest thing is to bring back the dive. No idea why it was changed in the first place.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:23 am

the only thing that troubled me last night, and there were positives all over the field at a lot of areas we've struggled with for years, was that the offense went ice cold in the second half and that's supposed to be the strength of the team, in particular the attack. Williams was a known terp killer and he did not have a great game. PM and JGJ were not able to solve whatever the terps were doing on defense. The first half was arguably the best of the last 2 years.
Again, I think that has a lot to do with tired legs. The offense was running by guys in the first half. When we went up 9-6 or so I was about ready to post "we're making the vaunted Maryland SSDM group look like Hopkins shorties circa 2017" but thought better of it as I figured that was likely to change in the second half, and it did. Tillman didn't make some genius-level adjustment (though he did put a better defender on Epstein, which helped them). We just stopped winning those matchups. Angelus, Peshko, Grimes, Baskin, Williams, Epstein, Degnon—guys that had all at one point or another in the first half gotten a step on their man couldn't replicate that in the second half and I think a lot of that was due to them running on fumes.

Maybe Junior and PM could have come up with a different plan once they recognized that was happening—maybe not. That's well above my pay grade.

Lost in all this is the goalie went 20%. I do not think he let in many wildly egregious goals BUT he also didn't make the 1-2 spectacular saves that he had made the game before, and that ended up being the difference.

If you think about the defense we last saw in 2020 compared to the one on the field last night, there's a lot to be optimistic about. I think it's fair to say Koesterer flat out fixed that group. Are they elite? No. But are they a total liability like they were last year? Also no. The rap on Coach K coming into the season was that he was a great teacher and excellent developer of talent on top of being a fiery competitive and charismastic presence and I think after year one that reputation looks earned.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 am
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end. You gotta let teams play in the fourth quarter, not micromanage the game like it's HS girl's lacrosse. Reminded me of the totally bogus endline call in the last MD game where Marcille was CLEARLY closer to the ball going out than the UMD player. The Z film analysis on that one says it wasn't even close. Conspiracy theory? Hmmm.....

D looked great all game. IF the Jays could have done much of anything on offense in the second half they would have won that game anyway despite the refs. Jays went toe-to-toe with the best team in the country last night after a very long chaotic year. The team showed a ton of heart last night. I didn't think there was much hope for the future three weeks ago but now I definitely do.
IMO, the officiating was fine... with the possible exception of the first half goal where Hop player wound up in goal mouth. Thought flag should have been thrown and push called on Terps.
And wave off the goal?
I mean, I think(?) that's the rule, but every instance this year was like it's own unique interpretation. Dixon was perplexed and he's right. It happened over and over again this year. The rule needs to be changed. Simplest thing is to bring back the dive. No idea why it was changed in the first place.
I think the Rules Committee was trying to balance the excitement of the dive against the possibility of goalie injury.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
primitiveskills

I'll go along with other posters that pointed out that we simply ran out of gas. First half seemed like pure adrenaline and we won some individual match ups. Not so much in the second half. Didn't help that Maryland (along with Notre Dame) probably has the best D in the country. Seemed different than the Navy and Maryland (QF) debacles from a few years ago where we simply ran out of ideas and refused to change the approach.

In terms of which was the best unit, definitely would have agreed with offense at the beginning of the year, but by the end this D was playing at a super high level. Yes, Marcille's addition was key, but even in an off-night for him last night they still controlled (as much as possible) an incredibly talented offense in Maryland. The SSDM play and communication were the best we've seen in many years. That's what I'm excited for next year; seeing this defense with an entire year of practice and experience under their belt. yes, some attrition (Lyne, Reinson?) will sting, but Koesterer has shown he can do this at UMBC and he's doing it again here.
primitiveskills

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:47 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 am

And wave off the goal?
I think the Rules Committee was trying to balance the excitement of the dive against the possibility of goalie injury.
But how many goalie injuries were there, really? I've watched a heck of a lot of lacrosse for decades and don't recall a single one. If that were true, Doug Knight alone would have been responsible for hundreds of goalie hospitalizations!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:23 am the only thing that troubled me last night, and there were positives all over the field at a lot of areas we've struggled with for years, was that the offense went ice cold in the second half and that's supposed to be the strength of the team, in particular the attack. Williams was a known terp killer and he did not have a great game. PM and JGJ were not able to solve whatever the terps were doing on defense. The first half was arguably the best of the last 2 years.
I agree with HF16 that fatigue could have had alot to do with it - a defense with probably 2 qualified 1st team AA's along with alot of other talent had alot to do with it too. I guess I might question that the offense was supposed to be the strength of the team? 11 goals a game average in the shot clock era is not going to burn out the LEDs on the video boards. They got to 15 once, 14 once, 13 twice - against the Maryland defense 10 is about what you could expect - certainly didn't expect it to be split into 8-2. That's why beating them is so hard this year - they are good to very good to great (as far as a few players) all over the field.
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:44 am

Again, I think that has a lot to do with tired legs. The offense was running by guys in the first half. When we went up 9-6 or so I was about ready to post "we're making the vaunted Maryland SSDM group look like Hopkins shorties circa 2017" but thought better of it as I figured that was likely to change in the second half, and it did. Tillman didn't make some genius-level adjustment (though he did put a better defender on Epstein, which helped them). We just stopped winning those matchups. Angelus, Peshko, Grimes, Baskin, Williams, Epstein, Degnon—guys that had all at one point or another in the first half gotten a step on their man couldn't replicate that in the second half and I think a lot of that was due to them running on fumes.

Maybe Junior and PM could have come up with a different plan once they recognized that was happening—maybe not. That's well above my pay grade.

Lost in all this is the goalie went 20%. I do not think he let in many wildly egregious goals BUT he also didn't make the 1-2 spectacular saves that he had made the game before, and that ended up being the difference.

If you think about the defense we last saw in 2020 compared to the one on the field last night, there's a lot to be optimistic about. I think it's fair to say Koesterer flat out fixed that group. Are they elite? No. But are they a total liability like they were last year? Also no. The rap on Coach K coming into the season was that he was a great teacher and excellent developer of talent on top of being a fiery competitive and charismastic presence and I think after year one that reputation looks earned.
I don't know. Holding PSU to 8, Rutgers to 10, and Maryland to 11 (+ an open net at the end) might be called elite. I don't see a lot of other teams doing that.

Koesterer is an amazing D coordinator. At the end, they were playing with an aggression and technical discipline (approach angle, slide timing,communication, etc) that's pretty unique. All without the IL "5-stars" that folks like to slobber over. Hopefully we can keep him for awhile.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:10 am I don't know. Holding PSU to 8, Rutgers to 10, and Maryland to 11 (+ an open net at the end) might be called elite. I don't see a lot of other teams doing that.

Koesterer is an amazing D coordinator. At the end, they were playing with an aggression and technical discipline (approach angle, slide timing,communication, etc) that's pretty unique. All without the IL "5-stars" that folks like to slobber over. Hopefully we can keep him for awhile.
PSU only averaged 10 goals a game this year so while we definitely played them well, they weren't exactly lighting it up either. They had precisely one offensive player who scared you—Mac O'Keefe. Malone is a good player but other than that if you can do a decent job on Mac, they don't have anyone else to take over a game. Not taking away from the job our D did against them but the Nittany Lions were not a very good team this year. If not for Arceri that offense probably would have averaged 8 instead of 10.

Defensive play against Rutgers and Maryland was more impressive. Maryland in particular. They were averaging more than 16 goals a game and I think were #1 or #2 in offensive efficiency. Holding them to 11 (plus the empty netter) on a night when your goalie wasn't playing very well is indeed a legitimate accomplishment. They were 1-5 on EMO also. McManus and Lyne did as good a job on Bernhardt as anyone since—and stats back this up—Pat Foley in 2019. The kid scores hat tricks in his sleep. Collectively limiting the best player in the country to 2 and 1 is something to hang your hat on. Our poles can play, there's no doubt about that whatsoever. Hopefully some combo of Lyne, Reinson, Delaney return in 2022.

But it was just three weeks of that play. Prior to that the defense, though better than last year, ventured into debacle territory. They have to show they can play like this for a full season. I'm optimistic that they can. But until then we've got to pump the brakes a bit.

Post by 127205020 »

Yo Hop, be happy that your season turned around and relax. Your future is bright even if the rumors about Joey leaving are true.

“I think you saw how good this conference is... There’s not much difference between No. 1 and No. 6 in my mind, at least not right now,” Tillman said. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... time/57873
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:50 am Why will Milliman have a lot more flexibility with the bonus year vs. all the other teams?
The way scholarships work favors universities that can award academic or need-based aid students first before using athletic scholarships (non-revenue sports only...basketball and football are full scholarships). Programs that can't afford to fundraise merit or need-based scholarships will have to stick to the 12.6 maximum athletic scholarships. Milliman will likely have more ability to save his 12.6 athletic scholarships on incoming or regular 4-year players. He'll probably be able to have many bonus year players qualify for Hop's merit and need-based scholarships (hence Bloomberg's Billions...his goal is to make Hop tuition free, if I'm not mistaken). Basically, it's what the Ivies do because "technically," they don't offer any athletic scholarships. All Ivy players receive merit or need-based scholarships. Yet the Ivies won't allow players to play beyond 4 years, so they can't do what I think Milliman will be able to do.

I can't imagine he's going to carry 56 players in the coming years. I can imagine he will want some of the current players to use their bonus year. I think it means he will be able really concentrate talent through the 2023 season. I bet he will.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”