Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nyjay »

I'm optimistic for the future and very thankful for the last four games of the season, and frankly the season as a whole. That said, before moving on to 22, I have to vent a little, and please excuse the pettiness:

1. Does anyone understand why the Degnon goal was good (or the Sangunetti one last week)? Insofar as I understand the rule, when an offensive play lands in the goalmouth, it should be either a penalty on the offense or on the defense, but the goal shouldn't count either way. Maybe I'm just confused? How exactly was that a good goal?
2. I hate to fall back on cliches, but looked like Hop just got awful tight in that second half, at least offensively. I had hoped the RU win might have changed things, but this team really does need to figure out "how to win". Didn't expect them to actually win, just sucks to lose a game they coulda/shoulda won.
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
4. Dear UMd, Rutgers, Duke, UNC, et al, please enjoy next year without your multiple grad students and transfers. It will be different when you have a team that looks like a normal college roster. 2021 was definitely the year of the super team.
5. UMd sure seemed extremely happy to have won against a team well under .500.
HomewoodHomer

Post by HomewoodHomer »

l
Last edited by HomewoodHomer on Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm I'm optimistic for the future and very thankful for the last four games of the season, and frankly the season as a whole. That said, before moving on to 22, I have to vent a little, and please excuse the pettiness:

1. Does anyone understand why the Degnon goal was good (or the Sangunetti one last week)? Insofar as I understand the rule, when an offensive play lands in the goalmouth, it should be either a penalty on the offense or on the defense, but the goal shouldn't count either way. Maybe I'm just confused? How exactly was that a good goal?
2. I hate to fall back on cliches, but looked like Hop just got awful tight in that second half, at least offensively. I had hoped the RU win might have changed things, but this team really does need to figure out "how to win". Didn't expect them to actually win, just sucks to lose a game they coulda/shoulda won.
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
4. Dear UMd, Rutgers, Duke, UNC, et al, please enjoy next year without your multiple grad students and transfers. It will be different when you have a team that looks like a normal college roster. 2021 was definitely the year of the super team.
UMDs grad transfers are all of two players on the second line mid that have like a dozen goals combined...so not sure why you’re trying to throw them in with the super teams like Duke or UNC or ND...and that call on Wisnauskas at the end was probably as bad as any of the ones you’re talking about. Only got called because the helmet came off. Not that any of the penalties mattered since both teams man up units were trash tonight.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

NYterp09 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:16 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm I'm optimistic for the future and very thankful for the last four games of the season, and frankly the season as a whole. That said, before moving on to 22, I have to vent a little, and please excuse the pettiness:

UMDs grad transfers are all of two players on the second line mid that have like a dozen goals combined...so not sure why you’re trying to throw them in with the super teams like Duke or UNC or ND...and that call on Wisnauskas at the end was probably as bad as any of the ones you’re talking about. Only got called because the helmet came off. Not that any of the penalties mattered since both teams man up units were trash tonight.
He wasn't a grad transfer, but Nick Grill wasn't Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year? Oh please on the Wisnauskas penalty, it was clearly a penalty. The call made it seem like it could have been more than one minute, which it shouldn't have been, but it sure as hell was a penalty.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

And JB wasn't a grad student?
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:25 pm

He wasn’t a grad transfer dude...there’s a difference. This terps starting 10 is the exact same as it was before covid.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 pm

He wasn't a grad transfer, but Nick Grill wasn't Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year? Oh please on the Wisnauskas penalty, it was clearly a penalty. The call made it seem like it could have been more than one minute, which it shouldn't have been, but it sure as hell was a penalty.
And Grill also transferred pre covid. Stop trying to compare them to the ACC schools that raided the Ivy league.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

NYterp09 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:31 pm

He wasn’t a grad transfer dude...there’s a difference. This terps starting 10 is the exact same as it was before covid.
Did I say "grad transfers"? No. I said "multiple grad students and transfers", which, quite literally, includes JB (a grad student) and Grill (a transfer), among others, including one who scored tonight. Pretty sure JB left to go play football and only came back because he couldn't actually play football because of COVID. So again, you have a great team this year. Hope it goes well for you in the tourney. Next year will be more normal.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:37 pm

Did I say "grad transfers"? No. I said "multiple grad students and transfers", which, quite literally, includes JB (a grad student) and Grill (a transfer), among others, including one who scored tonight. Pretty sure JB left to go play football and only came back because he couldn't actually play football because of COVID. So again, you have a great team this year. Hope it goes well for you in the tourney. Next year will be more normal.
[
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Hopkins best player the last few weeks was a grad student. Everyone benefitted in some way. If Hopkins hadn’t made a coaching change they likely would have gotten some guys from the portal
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

You’re missing the obvious point that this was the exact same starting lineup for the terps in 2021 as it was in 2020. What isn’t “normal” about that? And since you completely ignored my comment about trying to compare this terps team to the acc schools that loaded up on Ivy League talent I’ll just reiterate it...and there’s a good chance that UMD has 8 of their 10 starters back next year, so it’s probably going to be looking pretty similar.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:41 pm

Hopkins best player the last few weeks was a grad student. Everyone benefitted in some way. If Hopkins hadn’t made a coaching change they likely would have gotten some guys from the portal
I like Cole, but he wasn't even an HM AA. Are you really trying to say that this eligibility situation affected every team equally? It didn't. Duke, ND, UNC, Denver, UVa are entirely different and better teams than they would have been without the 5th year/transfer situation. UMd wouldn't have had Bernhardt or Grill. Which teams are going to be the top seeds in the tourney? Duke, UNC, ND, UMD, UVa, Denver. Coincidence?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

NYterp09 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:45 pm

You’re missing the obvious point that this was the exact same starting lineup for the terps in 2021 as it was in 2020. What isn’t “normal” about that? And since you completely ignored my comment about trying to compare this terps team to the acc schools that loaded up on Ivy League talent I’ll just reiterate it...and there’s a good chance that UMD has 8 of their 10 starters back next year, so it’s probably going to be looking pretty similar.
Seems to that the obvious point is that NEITHER of JB or Grill would have been playing this year but for COVID. And those two would be, respectively, presumptive Tewey winner and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. But please, keep explaining to me why I'm wrong.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm

I like Cole, but he wasn't even an HM AA. Are you really trying to say that this eligibility situation affected every team equally? It didn't. Duke, ND, UNC, Denver, UVa are entirely different and better teams than they would have been without the 5th year/transfer situation. UMd wouldn't have had Bernhardt or Grill. Which teams are going to be the top seeds in the tourney? Duke, UNC, ND, UMD, UVa, Denver. Coincidence?
It didn’t affect teams equally cause Hopkins made a coaching change and effectively took themselves out of the game entirely for those transfers. Again, I’m sure y’all would have been a player if not for that. It was Hop’s call (and the correct one imo) to make that decision
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:49 pm

Seems to that the obvious point is that NEITHER of JB or Grill would have been playing this year but for COVID. And those two would be, respectively, presumptive Tewey winner and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. But please, keep explaining to me why I'm wrong.
You’re wrong because you’re trying to pretend like a team getting
seniors back who had their last year stolen from them is the same as raiding the best players from other teams who decided to cancel their 2021 season. Absolutely no one on the terps roster is anywhere close to the covid poaches picked up by Duke or Denver or notre dame. And you’re high if you think no one on the Hopkins roster isn’t going to take advantage of that the extra year of eligibility like JB or Grill did. Stop being so goddamn salty.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
Running through the B1G undefeated in 10 regular season games, playing 2 teams 3x, and winning the tournament...they should be damn happy. This season wasn't a cake walk, despite what ACC fans think of the B1G. Next time you all beat Maryland 3 times in a season, I'm sure there will be much celebration on your end.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:50 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm

It didn’t affect teams equally cause Hopkins made a coaching change and effectively took themselves out of the game entirely for those transfers. Again, I’m sure y’all would have been a player if not for that. It was Hop’s call (and the correct one imo) to make that decision
The coaching change had an effect, to be sure (Mike Adler maybe?). But the truth is that the (non-Ivy, really sad for them) teams who had great 2020 senior classes benefitted whether they got transfers or not, as they got to keep those guys for another year. It didn't turn out particularly well, but look at Syracuse for example. They didn't pick up many transfers but got another year from Porter, Rehfuss, Trimboli, etc. They would have been much worse (yikes) without those guys. Again, I like Cole, but how else did Hop benefit from the situation?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

NYterp09 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:54 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:49 pm

You’re wrong because you’re trying to pretend like a team getting
seniors back who had their last year stolen from them is the same as raiding the best players from other teams who decided to cancel their 2021 season. Absolutely no one on the terps roster is anywhere close to the covid poaches picked up by Duke or Denver or notre dame. And you’re high if you think no one on the Hopkins roster isn’t going to take advantage of that the extra year of eligibility like JB or Grill did. Stop being so goddamn salty.
Whatever. You're not responding to what I actually said. You're responding to what you think I said. Any team who had a great 2020 senior class benefitted, whether or not they got additional transfers, grad or otherwise. Teams that didn't have a great 2020 senior class didn't benefit in the same way. I expect next year to be more normal, though it won't entirely be.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:57 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
Running through the B1G undefeated in 10 regular season games, playing 2 teams 3x, and winning the tournament...they should be damn happy. This season wasn't a cake walk, despite what ACC fans think of the B1G. Next time you all beat Maryland 3 times in a season, I'm sure there will be much celebration on your end.
Fair commentary. I definitely wasn't in the best of moods watching the celebration. I guess I was kinda surprised at the jubilation though. Would have thought the Terps would have been a little more business-like, thinking that the B1G was a speed bump and the goal was Memorial Day. But maybe they gave Hop more respect than I thought they would have.

If we ever have a chance to beat the Terps 3x in the year, I guess it will be on Memorial Day, so yeah, there would be much celebration.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 pm Again, I like Cole, but how else did Hop benefit from the situation?
"Benefit" is the key word here, no? Kirson certainly didn't help you all this year. Had Fernandez not torn his ACL, maybe he would have helped (although Delaney...who wouldn't be playing lax had not COVID hit... seems like a pretty good LSM, no?). Pretty sure you're happy Szuluk didn't stay at Lafayette, as I'm sure he is, too. Let's not act like Hop didn't hit the portal or use the COVID year to add talent to its roster. Again, "benefit" is the key word there...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”