Today's Holiday

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Today's Holiday

Post by Brooklyn »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote:When is Festivus?

I’m ready for some Airing of Grievances and Feats if Strength.

That was on Sunday 12/23. ang6
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
wahoomurf

Hogmanay is nigh.CELEBRATE!

Post by wahoomurf »

"LET US HAVE WINE AND WOMEN,MIRTH AND LAUGHTER,SERMONS AND SODA WATER THE MORNING AFTER" (Don Juan - Lord Byron)

Byron was indeed an unabashed misogynist and not at all, PC But that line from Don Juan is the single best excuse to celebrate I've ever read.I have adhered to the message more times that I can remember. color1 Please be careful and hand over your car keys if you or your friends have any doubts about driving.

We the people have endured one of the most horrible years in our history.I hope and pray 2019 will be far better than 2018.That's up to us.

I WISH A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ACTUALLY WANT 2019 TO BE BETTER ON ALL FRONTS THAN 2018.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy New Year!

As usual, I'll be watching the Mummer's Parade (phl17 channel) & Rose Parade.

Weather is really nice unlike last year which was barely above zero.

Enjoy!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Was at the Mummers parade, at Broad and Locust...great day for it...mid-50's, sunny, lotsa good cheer coursing thru the crowd, along with the ubiquitous EAGLES chants. Was also nice having a room on the 7th floor of the Hilton DoubleTree to retreat to...

It's a parade like no other anywhere on earth.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

dislaxxic wrote:Was at the Mummers parade, at Broad and Locust...great day for it...mid-50's, sunny, lotsa good cheer coursing thru the crowd, along with the ubiquitous EAGLES chants. Was also nice having a room on the 7th floor of the Hilton DoubleTree to retreat to...

It's a parade like no other anywhere on earth.

Kudos to the Delaware Valley for being the only place in the USA where they have that kind of fun every year.

With the mild weather, I bet there were lots of Mummers who got really loaded - in fact, over the years I've had quite a few laffs over the many photos/videos of drunk Mummers in Philly or in Hagerstown, Md.

My vote for the string band category:

1) South Philly
2) Quaker City
3) Uptown

As for fancy brigade, my vote went to South Philly Vikings:

Great spectacle, wonderful message in their presentation.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

@ Dis,

What were your top picks for Mummers in SB & FB?

Here's some Mummers youtube vids:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ers+parade

A special moment occurs at the very end of this one:

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

January 9 - Mational Law Enforcement Appreciation Day

Thanks to all the current and retired peace officers out there, especially one particular deputy sheriff in AZ who happens to be my son. salut1
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

SCLaxAttack wrote:January 9 - Mational Law Enforcement Appreciation Day

Thanks to all the current and retired peace officers out there, especially one particular deputy sheriff in AZ who happens to be my son. salut1

and kudos to my nephew who is a police officer in God's Country salut1

6x6

Post by 6x6 »

I also salute your son SC and your nephew Brookie, along with all the other men and women serving.

Should you ever get to DC, stop by the National Law Enforcement Memorial and pay your respects to the thousands that have paid the ultimate price.

http://www.nleomf.org/memorial/

I know too many that are honored there, including three very close friends whose names are engraved on the wall. I sure miss them.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

January 28, 2019

NATIONAL FUN AT WORK DAY
BUBBLE WRAP APPRECIATION DAY
NATIONAL BLUEBERRY PANCAKE DAY
DATA PRIVACY DAY
NATIONAL KAZOO DAY

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Now that the Forum is back, we should make this into a Holiday. :D

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy Chinese New Year of the Pig

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy Maple Syrup Day to all Canadians.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Bus driver appreciation day:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy Fat Tuesday! :)

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The most famous Pi fight in the history of cinema:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ides of March! :shock:

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy Purim 2019!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”