US Lax Magazine Preseason Rankings

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: US Lax Magazine Preseason Rankings

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:33 pm 1 - Northwestern (0 - 0) 523 (20)
2 - Boston College (0 - 0) 502
3 - North Carolina (0 - 0) 467 (1)
4 - Denver (0 - 0) 458

Carolina got a 1st place vote and they're ranked before Denver.

Do I need more reasons to flush this down the terlit? (That's a rhetorical question.)
I'm interested to see if Denver can back up their 2023 season. I don't hate Carolina ahead of them, and I am NOT a UNC fan at all. But that's why they play the games and we're getting close!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:27 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:33 pm 1 - Northwestern (0 - 0) 523 (20)
4 - Denver (0 - 0) 458

Do I need more reasons to flush this down the terlit? (That's a rhetorical question.)
I'm interested to see if Denver can back up their 2023 season. I don't hate Carolina ahead of them, and I am NOT a UNC fan at all. But that's why they play the games and we're getting close!
The reason it gets under my skin is because the Pioneers went into Carolina and won in the NCAA quarterfinals. Why are the Tar Heels ranked higher? Because they got an infusion of Humphery's? We still don't know how the team will gel, yet. Denver is returning pretty much their whole team from last year, plus the added transfers from the portal. How does NC get the edge (not to mention a ridiculous 1st place vote)? Popularity contest? Laziness?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:53 pm The reason it gets under my skin is because the Pioneers went into Carolina and won in the NCAA quarterfinals. Why are the Tar Heels ranked higher? Because they got an infusion of Humphery's? We still don't know how the team will gel, yet. Denver is returning pretty much their whole team from last year, plus the added transfers from the portal. How does NC get the edge (not to mention a ridiculous 1st place vote)? Popularity contest? Laziness?
The argyle no doubt ;)
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:53 pm
4 - Denver (0 - 0) 458

The reason it gets under my skin is because the Pioneers went into Carolina and won in the NCAA quarterfinals. Why are the Tar Heels ranked higher? Because they got an infusion of Humphery's? We still don't know how the team will gel, yet. Denver is returning pretty much their whole team from last year, plus the added transfers from the portal. How does NC get the edge (not to mention a ridiculous 1st place vote)? Popularity contest? Laziness?
Teams also had a full off-season to break down Denver film. I think Denver will be solid this year, probably bottom half of top 10. But at some point, talent wins at the highest level.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:53 pm
4 - Denver (0 - 0) 458

Past performance is not a guarantor of future results. It’s a poll as to who they think will be a better team this year, not an extrapolation model. I don’t really care that Denver squeaked one by unc last year in may. That game could have gone either way. Denver barely beat USC in the first round who was thoroughly meh last year.

I have unc ranked above Denver because I think they are a better team and will have a better season. Unc was very young last year but also very very talented. They are less young and even more talented with the Humphrey sisters.

I thought Denver had a season for the ages—-but don’t think they are nearly as talented nor as deep at most positions as is UNC and I think they got to where they did almost entirely because of their zone defense…which I personally don’t think will confound as many teams as it did last year.
That’s my opinion. Apparently shared by il lacrosse and the iwcla.
But just opinions.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I think Denver's more than just a one-hit top 5 wonder. I think they're talented on the offensive end and they'll be more competitive offensively this season.

Most great teams have a squeaker somewhere during the season. Northwestern struggled with Michigan early in the NCAA's. Denver jumped out to a 6-0 lead vs USC and then took their foot off the gas long enough to let the Women of Troy tie the game by the end of the 3rd. Denver battened down the hatches and outscored USC 4-1 in the 4th to take the game 10-7. A win's a win.

I think these poll producers put way too much anticipation on what they think a team will do based on a number of suppositions. The fact that one twit coach gave North Carolina a number 1 ranking vote speaks to the laughable perspective of some of those participating.

Denver has some great defenders returning. I think Denver is more than just a system of defense with the personnel they boast on the back line. I don't think film study alone will solve them. Only one team went off against Denver last season. The rest were stifled. I don't think that changes drastically with their returning cast. I still see them as top 5 in '24.

But we shall see. That's why they play the games.
laxhound22

Post by laxhound22 »

4 - Denver (0 - 0) 458

Gonna guess it's the Northwestern coach that voted for UNC because usually teams don't/can't vote for themselves. At least that's how it works for league/conference polls. I.E. why Loyola is never a unanimous #1 in the patriot league preseason poll
Neither group was permitted to vote for their student-athletes or team.
https://patriotleague.org/news/2024/1/2 ... 24-24.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxhound22 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:26 am Gonna guess it's the Northwestern coach that voted for UNC
What leads you to make that guess?
laxhound22

Post by laxhound22 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:03 pm
laxhound22 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:26 am Gonna guess it's the Northwestern coach that voted for UNC
because usually teams don't/can't vote for themselves
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

laxhound22 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:26 am
4 - Denver (0 - 0) 458

Gonna guess it's the Northwestern coach that voted for UNC because usually teams don't/can't vote for themselves. At least that's how it works for league/conference polls. I.E. why Loyola is never a unanimous #1 in the patriot league preseason poll
Neither group was permitted to vote for their student-athletes or team.
https://patriotleague.org/news/2024/1/2 ... 24-24.aspx
That rule doesn't necessarily apply elsewhere, as Northwestern is the unanimous number one in the Big Ten coaches poll.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxhound22 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:50 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:03 pm
because usually teams don't/can't vote for themselves
Still, why does that lead you to Northwestern? How do you know the Northwestern coach even voted?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:37 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 pm I will probably be proven very wrong, but I really don't understand the ND hype. Yes, lots of offense return and came in, but the Irish haven't solved their fundamental problem last season -- Goalie and defense. Can't see them beating a top 10 team without big improvements there.
Me neither
ND beats number #1 NU and Denver loses . Both ranked wrong this year . Denver over hyped from the get-go
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:17 pm My PRESEASON TOP 20

1. Northwestern
2. Boston College
3. Denver
4. North Carolina
5. Syracuse

6. James Madison
7. Maryland
8. Notre Dame
9. Florida
10. Loyola

11. Stony Brook
12. Michigan
13. Johns Hopkins
14. Pennsylvania
15. Clemson

16. Penn State
17. USC
18. Army
19. Richmond
20. Navy

Per usual--the Terps are ranked too high by a publication that employs former Maryland great Taylor Cummings. Just like IL Women typically ranks Syracuse too high with former Orange great Alyssa Cometti in their employ.

Notre Dame is always ranked too high, always overhyped, always disappointing come tournament time--ACC and NCAA's. Yes, beating Carolina and Florida last year was impressive. But those were their only impressive wins in '23.

I'm a big Hop fan but I agree--JHU at 11 is premature.
Well, ND just beat your top team. Impressive to me !
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I am interested to see if Brown is able to break into the polls this coming week. Katrina Dowd effect is quite obvious.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Brownlax wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:28 pm I am interested to see if Brown is able to break into the polls this coming week. Katrina Dowd effect is quite obvious.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/wdi/polls/2024

Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:37 am
Brownlax wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:28 pm I am interested to see if Brown is able to break into the polls this coming week. Katrina Dowd effect is quite obvious.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/wdi/polls/2024

First of all, brown DOES look better this year than last year with the same basic players….so Dowd absolutely having and effect.

But after watching both of browns games, I’d pump the brakes on a top 25 ranking. Umass is way down this year after losing a lot of production and defense from last year. And Albany is not a top 30 team this year. Yesterday’s game was sloppy by brown and frankly atrocious by Albany. 14 turnovers in the first half, half of which were very poor decisions in the clearing game.

I believe that Brown will be fortunate to make its own conference tourney (top 4) and I don’t beleive the Ivy League has more than maybe two teams that are top 25 caliber this year…..

33 for the bruins is a “plays anywhere” player. But depth is a problem.

I’m thrilled to see dowd change the compete level for brown. Just don’t think that what I saw is too 25 material…..mostly because I think their opponents aren’t a good measuring stick this year.

If brown beats penn or Yale or maybe even Princeton, I’ll reconsider!!!!
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

KATRINA DOWD is a pure teacher of the game. Something that is lacking among many staffs - many of these girls still need to be taught and developed into better players. It also correlates to her success...

- 2012 Cuse Asst, NCAA Title Game, first ever in program history
- 2013 UNC Asst, NCAA Champion, first title (and players were actually developing now…into ballers… rather than just staying stagnant during their time in Chapel Hill)
- 2016 UNC Asst, NCAA Champion, second title
- 2018 Oregon Head, most points ever in program history, most draw controls in program history, and all-time single season leaders in Draws, Goals, Assists, and Points (4 different players which is MIND BLOWING!)
- 2023 Army Asst, program record 15 wins and NCAA at-large berth

Perfect fit as HC for programs needing a revival and hence early results for Brown.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”