Preseason Top 10

D3 Mens Lacrosse
satstorm

Re: Preseason Top 10

Post by satstorm »

Ferrara is gone but the other two remain. Ferrara leaves behind a massive points void, but Brown is the architect of the offense. Without Ferrara, Brown may actually direct the offense even better. No one player will replace the points void but there are plenty of options to piece it together.

Defazio will be and has been the guy on defense. Complete game changer.

I think it will take more for CNU to take the next step.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

satstorm wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:28 am Ferrara is gone but the other two remain. Ferrara leaves behind a massive points void, but Brown is the architect of the offense. Without Ferrara, Brown may actually direct the offense even better. No one player will replace the points void but there are plenty of options to piece it together.

Defazio will be and has been the guy on defense. Complete game changer.

I think it will take more for CNU to take the next step.
If CNU is bringing back everyone but Posin, I think they're the team to beat. It should be a fun year.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:14 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:33 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 am I have really thought that CNU was the best team I saw over tge last few years and with all that they have coming back I would be stunned if they are not there at the end. Their style of play lends it self to winning big early but they will have to figure out how to win the big game when it matters.
They’ve got some talent for sure. They seemed to get bullied around by Salisburys size advantage. They also struggle to defend teams who figure out their zone.

Regarding style of play? They did a complete 180 on their style of play in 2023 so I’m curious what you’re referring to. In 2023 they didn’t 10man and they rarely pushed unsettled, or at least it was nothing like previous years. They’ve become very efficient on offense so it makes sense. They also have depth issues, they have one of the most significant talent drop offs after their starters that I’ve ever seen in a top 5 team. That could lend themselves to needing to play a slower pace. Just an observation.
They lost to 1 team last year, the national champion. Salisbury had 3 difference makers in those games, Ferrara, Brown and DeFazio. I don't think they struggled with opponents size, RIT, G'Burg and W&L were all big teams and they handled them.

With Ferrara gone, I don't know about Brown, CNU should be taking the next step.
Ballard who I believe also graduates have Cook a lot of trouble when they played the first game. Then he tore his ACL.

And I didn’t say they struggled with size. I said they struggled with “Salisburys Size”. Perhaps it was more accurate to say combination of size and physicality.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:30 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:14 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:33 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 am I have really thought that CNU was the best team I saw over tge last few years and with all that they have coming back I would be stunned if they are not there at the end. Their style of play lends it self to winning big early but they will have to figure out how to win the big game when it matters.
They’ve got some talent for sure. They seemed to get bullied around by Salisburys size advantage. They also struggle to defend teams who figure out their zone.

Regarding style of play? They did a complete 180 on their style of play in 2023 so I’m curious what you’re referring to. In 2023 they didn’t 10man and they rarely pushed unsettled, or at least it was nothing like previous years. They’ve become very efficient on offense so it makes sense. They also have depth issues, they have one of the most significant talent drop offs after their starters that I’ve ever seen in a top 5 team. That could lend themselves to needing to play a slower pace. Just an observation.
They lost to 1 team last year, the national champion. Salisbury had 3 difference makers in those games, Ferrara, Brown and DeFazio. I don't think they struggled with opponents size, RIT, G'Burg and W&L were all big teams and they handled them.

With Ferrara gone, I don't know about Brown, CNU should be taking the next step.
Ballard who I believe also graduates have Cook a lot of trouble when they played the first game. Then he tore his ACL.

And I didn’t say they struggled with size. I said they struggled with “Salisburys Size”. Perhaps it was more accurate to say combination of size and physicality.
I get your point, not many teams have a 6'7" pole that can move like that kid.
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

He is a big loss for sure. Along with Woodward they seemed to be the more cerebral and experienced defenseman. Loosing Zack Timmons and Gilfian also hurt as they were quite impressive winning most of their matchups.

But the top dog, Defazio remains. Sure there may be some initial hiccups but Salisbury will be able to reload that side of the ball early in the spring.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

I think the biggest factor when you look at CNU v. Salisbury is Berkman. This is no Knock on MT and his staff, but Berkman is one of the best college lacrosse coaches the sport has seen(any division). He understands how to startle the CNU offense by coming up with strategic defensive game plans that the Captains have not been been able to consistently beat.

It doesn't seem like a talent or size issue between the two. If you look at the rosters, they are about even over the past two years as far as talent goes.(CNU has had 20 All-Americans, 2 DPOY's, 1 SSDMOY, 1 POY, and 1 MOY over the past two years)

Salisbury just seems to always dominate the CNU offense and that consistently determines these games. Defensively, CNU held them to 9 and 12 in the final two games of the season so they can compete on that side of the ball. Until CNU finds out how to beat the Gulls defense we are going to continue to see the same result.

Lucky for CNU Woodward, Timmons, Ballard, and Gilfillian are gone. Those 4 caused CNU a lot of trouble over the past two years by shutting CNU's top dodgers down and that let Defazio roam freely all over the field which is what he does best. Yeah Salisbury always reloads, but losing 4 guys who all had 5 years of experience will be tough to replace.

On another note, it seems like a lot of schools are starting back up again. Does anyone know of any fall ball scrimmages happening?
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

I do like your perspective. Who will Defazio mark now? Will they give him the top guy or will new players step up and allow him to play his game roaming free
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

satstorm wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:50 pm I do like your perspective. Who will Defazio mark now? Will they give him the top guy or will new players step up and allow him to play his game roaming free
My guess would be they will put Defazio on #20 or #47. He switched back and forth between the two last year and caused them both trouble because they are Lefties and didn't do well against the V-Hold. That also gives him the option to switch between LSM and Close. As said before, he plays his best when he gets to roam the field. I think he'd do fine against #28, but putting him on that matchup would take away his off-ball prowess due to the amount attention #28 draws.

They will probably lock #28 again with a shorty. Outside of that it will be pretty tough to predict until we see some game action in the early spring.
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:17 pm
satstorm wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:50 pm I do like your perspective. Who will Defazio mark now? Will they give him the top guy or will new players step up and allow him to play his game roaming free
My guess would be they will put Defazio on #20 or #47. He switched back and forth between the two last year and caused them both trouble because they are Lefties and didn't do well against the V-Hold. That also gives him the option to switch between LSM and Close. As said before, he plays his best when he gets to roam the field. I think he'd do fine against #28, but putting him on that matchup would take away his off-ball prowess due to the amount attention #28 draws.

They will probably lock #28 again with a shorty. Outside of that it will be pretty tough to predict until we see some game action in the early spring.
Very likely. I noticed in most games last the Gulls would put Ballard on the top threat even if he was a midfielder and Timmoms or Gilfian on the second guy.

This certainly freed up Defazio to go play how he wanted and how the team needed. Again, my hope as a fan would be that some players step up to take these matchups so Berkman can continue to unleash him as he did last year.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

Is it a foregone conclusion that Timmons is gone? He was in the transfer portal on the D1 page and never saw a post with a new home for him.

In that case, why not come back to SU go for a grad degree and try to win back-to-back titles?

I’m fairly certain Ballard has exhausted everything so don’t think we will see him, but chance to see Gilfillan, Timmons, DeFazio, Stafford and shorties Glushakow, Mancha and Makawa back, plus Ransom in goal. Add in any transfers and newcomers, plus any returnees stepping up will have a stout defense in 2024.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Jknows wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:57 am Is it a foregone conclusion that Timmons is gone? He was in the transfer portal on the D1 page and never saw a post with a new home for him.

In that case, why not come back to SU go for a grad degree and try to win back-to-back titles?

I’m fairly certain Ballard has exhausted everything so don’t think we will see him, but chance to see Gilfillan, Timmons, DeFazio, Stafford and shorties Glushakow, Mancha and Makawa back, plus Ransom in goal. Add in any transfers and newcomers, plus any returnees stepping up will have a stout defense in 2024.
I was told Gilfillan is in the working world and Timmons is getting a grad degree from Binghamton and not playing lacrosse. They already got their degrees from Salisbury so I feel like going out on top is a great way to end the career.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jknows wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:57 am Is it a foregone conclusion that Timmons is gone? He was in the transfer portal on the D1 page and never saw a post with a new home for him.

Lynchburg All-American SSDM Nestor also transferred to Salisbury
VaWesLaxPapi

Post by VaWesLaxPapi »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Source?
satstorm

Post by satstorm »

VaWesLaxPapi wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:59 pm

Source?

I have from a relatively solid source that is incorrect. Salisbury does have a SSDM transfer from RMC incoming.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

VaWesLaxPapi wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:59 pm

Source?
I had heard that from several people. But a quick investigation proved me wrong. My mistake
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Had heard Nestor may transfer to join his dad and brother but he and Quinn, 3rd pole, both in workforce.
Darminio at Jacksonville.
All other starters return. Big hopes on the hilltop although Darminio is hard to replace.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:56 am Had heard Nestor may transfer to join his dad and brother but he and Quinn, 3rd pole, both in workforce.
All other starters return. Big hopes on the hilltop although Darminio is hard to replace.

Lynchburg going to be the cream of the crop in the ODAC. Predicting a deep run from the boys in RED
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:20 pm
Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:56 am Had heard Nestor may transfer to join his dad and brother but he and Quinn, 3rd pole, both in workforce.

Lynchburg going to be the cream of the crop in the ODAC. Predicting a deep run from the boys in RED
W&L also returns quite a bit. It should be a fun year
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:15 pm

Graduating 28% of their total points from last years team. Lose QB at X as well, will definitely have impact on offense. Lyn gonna be hungry this year, undefeated ODAC schedule...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:16 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:15 pm

Graduating 28% of their total points from last years team. Lose QB at X as well, will definitely have impact on offense. Lyn gonna be hungry this year, undefeated ODAC schedule...
Returning 72% of your points is extremely high. Their QB at X was a first year starter, who never got a top defenseman. I think they will be fine.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”