~Salisbury 2023~

D3 Mens Lacrosse
AbeFroeman

Re: ~Salisbury 2023~

Post by AbeFroeman »

BULLET wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:01 pm Speeding bullets…..
Nice win. Is Salisbury having a down year? Or Gettysburg having a great year? Time will tell
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Gulls haven’t won a Nat Title since 2017, they’ve had a number of down years by their standard. Players went there Knowing they’d get at least 1 ring over their four years, not anymore. There’s far too much talent out there as well as quality coaches.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Saw the game in person. First of all it was very cold with on again off again snow flurries but not to windy. I am sure visibility was difficult at times especially for the goalies.

Salisbury's offense still seemed very one on one oriented they didn't seem to have the quick crisp ball movement of the past. Having said that Gettysburg's defense is very very good. When Salisbury went up 2 in the 4th they just didn't seem to have the killer instinct as in the past. Gettysburg put the pedal down and controlled the last 8 min.

Salisbury's goalie was much more beatable low.

Will be interested in seeing the stats, the Gulls had 3 or maybe 4 man up goals and more man up opportunities. The Bullets had 1 man up goal i think.
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

Too much me ball from what I saw. Might recommend Berkman watch the offensive sets and cohesion of my College of Wooster Fighting Scots. A real example of REAL lacrosse, not all this flashy selfish play. I agree with others that people would go to Salisbury thinking they'd get at least one ring. Now they just walk away with a degree from Salisbury, tough selling point in my opinion. #gofightingscots
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

BIGDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:42 pm Too much me ball from what I saw. Might recommend Berkman watch the offensive sets and cohesion of my College of Wooster Fighting Scots. A real example of REAL lacrosse, not all this flashy selfish play. I agree with others that people would go to Salisbury thinking they'd get at least one ring. Now they just walk away with a degree from Salisbury, tough selling point in my opinion. #gofightingscots
Tough selling point? Playing for a top 10 lax team. Getting a quality education. Not over priced. Beautiful campus. And 20 mins to the a great beach town. What else could you want?
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:49 pm Gulls haven’t won a Nat Title since 2017, they’ve had a number of down years by their standard. Players went there Knowing they’d get at least 1 ring over their four years, not anymore. There’s far too much talent out there as well as quality coaches.
Not sure how.many down years they've had. Yes, national championship is the standard but the since 2017 it's been 2018 unner up, 2019 semifinals, 2020 covid canceled year, 2021 runner up, 2022 quarterfinals. Not to bad at all
ah23

Post by ah23 »

This is now year three (four? More?) of people asking why Salisbury just plays 1-on-1 talentball instead of having better ball movement/team offense. I get why people keep talking about it (it’s not particularly good offense to play or watch), but it can’t be surprising anymore. It’s just who they are at this point.

Doesn’t mean they can’t win at a high level FWIW, they have still been a top 3 program during this title “drought”. Just pointing out that this type of offense isn’t some new/temporary issue.

(Edited a few things)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
richard

Post by richard »

Like I said Jude changes everything. Ten assists vs Cortland.
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

richard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:18 pm Like I said Jude changes everything. Ten assists vs Cortland.
Love watching him play. Arguably the most important piece of our offense.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:28 pm
richard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:18 pm Like I said Jude changes everything. Ten assists vs Cortland.
Love watching him play. Arguably the most important piece of our offense.
Jude looks better in a St Mary's uniform
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

It’s been odd this year that the Gulls can’t find consistent FO play. If you look at the stats, McPartland (.487 win percentage on 115 reps) has taken the most face offs and has struggled. The younger Malamphy has only take 53 face offs (.679 win percentage) and really played well against Cortland. Then you have So. Mackenzie Moreland, who has done alright (.514 winning percentage). He was the hot hand against York two weeks ago.

With at least two matchups against CNU most likely, Coach Block needs to get that ironed out quickly in the next three games.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

My guess is they are gonna ride the hottest hand moving forward.
Saw all those kids play a lot in HS and all three were good. I remember personally being impressed by Malamphy. Played bigger than his size.
Don't know what happens in practice, but my guess is faceoff should be a fixable concern, given the quality of those 3 kids.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:24 pm My guess is they are gonna ride the hottest hand moving forward.
Saw all those kids play a lot in HS and all three were good. I remember personally being impressed by Malamphy. Played bigger than his size.
Don't know what happens in practice, but my guess is faceoff should be a fixable concern, given the quality of those 3 kids.

I agree with you on this one. All 3 are really good. Just goes to show you that you need more than one FOGO. Most teams dont have this luxury
richard

Post by richard »

Not that they can’t run up the score going one v one but the offense will not get there doing it that way. IMO All of it should run through Brown.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

richard wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:45 pm Not that they can’t run up the score going one v one but the offense will not get there doing it that way. IMO All of it should run through Brown.

He certainly can facilitate the offense and elevates the play of everyone else
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Would someone please give us an update on the Gulls.

From scanning some internet games they seem to be getting better as a team. To be expected from Berkman. Better heads up passing and cutting off picks and posts. Defense has also gotten better totally unexpected with the absence of Big Ben Sandlin. Borkowicz struck me as solid but not showy as a player. I have a sneaking suspicion he's a bit of an intellectual who really studies the game. I noticed they play zone at times which the Gull Defense will need if they play a run and gun Tufts team on a hot day. . A little insight here would be appreciated.

Fogos are coming of age. Malamphy hammered CNU. Not sure his Big Bro did as well. Goalies are doing well and stacked up in case someone has a bad day. Brown is first team AA caliber;, Bromwell, Doud , Thrasher and Nestor step up as needed. Second line ????

Finally Ferrara; last I read he was chasing several D III records. Where is he there? If John Uppgren from Tufts had broken Coffman's records, so be it. If he or Ferrara had played the Pfeiffer schedule, they'd have had 1000 points. No disrespect to Jared Nelson.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm Would someone please give us an update on the Gulls.

From scanning some internet games they seem to be getting better as a team. To be expected from Berkman. Better heads up passing and cutting off picks and posts. Defense has also gotten better totally unexpected with the absence of Big Ben Sandlin. Borkowicz struck me as solid but not showy as a player. I have a sneaking suspicion he's a bit of an intellectual who really studies the game. I noticed they play zone at times which the Gull Defense will need if they play a run and gun Tufts team on a hot day. . A little insight here would be appreciated.

Fogos are coming of age. Malamphy hammered CNU. Not sure his Big Bro did as well. Goalies are doing well and stacked up in case someone has a bad day. Brown is first team AA caliber;, Bromwell, Doud , Thrasher and Nestor step up as needed. Second line ????

Finally Ferrara; last I read he was chasing several D III records. Where is he there? If John Uppgren from Tufts had broken Coffman's records, so be it. If he or Ferrara had played the Pfeiffer schedule, they'd have had 1000 points. No disrespect to Jared Nelson.
If my math is right, he looks to be 22 points behind Coffman. Of course an asterisk doesn’t begin to cover the difference as Coffman in 62 games and Ferrara, a great player who no one will ever claim to be the best ever D3 scorer, has already played 101 and isn’t done yet in year 6.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 pm Would someone please give us an update on the Gulls.

If my math is right, he looks to be 22 points behind Coffman. Of course an asterisk doesn’t begin to cover the difference as Coffman in 62 games and Ferrara, a great player who no one will ever claim to be the best ever D3 scorer, has already played 101 and isn’t done yet in year 6.

Salisbury's top 5 scorers are either grad students or seniors. Sure hope some of those juniors and sophomores are ready. Most just stand on the sideline chirping and never set foot on the field
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:28 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 pm

Salisbury's top 5 scorers are either grad students or seniors. Sure hope some of those juniors and sophomores are ready. Most just stand on the sideline chirping and never set foot on the field
While there is a lot of truth to Rizzo's post, I'll say this... I've been actually impressed with the amount of time I've seen from the underclassmen on such a senior/graduate-heavy team. Malmphy, Strub (as of late on 2nd midfield), and Stafford all log considerable minutes as freshmen. Bromwell and Ransom both start as sophomores. Throw in 2 freshmen (Mancha and Huffman) who are earning time and it's actually pretty impressive. Certainly not at the caliber of Jude, Cross, & Dowd, but nice to see.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”