Stanford

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Womenslaxxfan

Re: Stanford

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Both teams looked like it was the first game of the season although Stanford was much sharper early in the game. Uva was deeper and it showed as the game went on. 28 shots on goal to Stanfords 18. Stanford preseason ranking by polls was nonsense. The team lost their top scorer from last year’s campaign and didn’t beat a single team in the top 20 last year other than USC, who wasn’t actually a top 20 team. They should have been ranked between 20 and 25, not 10-13.

My observation is that Stanford was better than expected. The team is full of young players who looked unafraid to make things happen. Their offensive scheme looked sharp and their goalie was stout.

They got an early lead but eventually got reeled in by a team that returned all of its starting offense from last year was able to generate lots of shots all game long…..
Blaming that loss on poor coaching is ridiculous to anyone who isn’t over invested in stanfords ranking…
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:13 am Both teams looked like it was the first game of the season although Stanford was much sharper early in the game. Uva was deeper and it showed as the game went on. 28 shots on goal to Stanfords 18. Stanford preseason ranking by polls was nonsense. The team lost their top scorer from last year’s campaign and didn’t beat a single team in the top 20 last year other than USC, who wasn’t actually a top 20 team. They should have been ranked between 20 and 25, not 10-13.

My observation is that Stanford was better than expected. The team is full of young players who looked unafraid to make things happen. Their offensive scheme looked sharp and their goalie was stout.

They got an early lead but eventually got reeled in by a team that returned all of its starting offense from last year was able to generate lots of shots all game long…..
Blaming that loss on poor coaching is ridiculous to anyone who isn’t over invested in stanfords ranking…
Player up, down two goals, 3 FPS shot opportunities ... not only did they not convert, but the failed to get a shot on cage, either from the 8' or from the field. That is game management. Which is only one of the key weaknesses of the Stanford head coach.

But I do agree that the media, in their continued desire to make the PAC-12 relevant, WAY overstated Stanford in the preseason rankings.
watcherinthewoods

“Make no doubt, I came here to win.”
— Danielle Spencer
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:13 am Both teams looked like it was the first game of the season although Stanford was much sharper early in the game. Uva was deeper and it showed as the game went on. 28 shots on goal to Stanfords 18. Stanford preseason ranking by polls was nonsense. The team lost their top scorer from last year’s campaign and didn’t beat a single team in the top 20 last year other than USC, who wasn’t actually a top 20 team. They should have been ranked between 20 and 25, not 10-13.

i'm sorry but this is beyond "first game of the season" excuses. It's time to start accepting that this team is mediocre and call them out until they give you a reason not to. It's the same thing year after year so i don't know why they continusouly get the benefit of the doubt when they havn't earned it. Other team with comparable talent are perenial contenders. what's stanfords excuse? oh right..coaching.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:50 am

Player up, down two goals, 3 FPS shot opportunities ... not only did they not convert, but the failed to get a shot on cage, either from the 8' or from the field. That is game management. Which is only one of the key weaknesses of the Stanford head coach.

But I do agree that the media, in their continued desire to make the PAC-12 relevant, WAY overstated Stanford in the preseason rankings.
With USC & UCLA joining the B1G, the medias going to have a tough job making the PAC-12 relevant
watcherinthewoods

Continuing the honesty, I’m also on the Stanford hype train. That train didn’t run smoothly out of the station in a 14-11 loss to Virginia. That’s not an awful loss, of course, because Virginia was knocking on the door of the top 10 anyway. But an offense that should be lethal mustered just 23 shots, and the Cardinal turned it over 14 times. Maybe that’s more of a testament to Virginia than it is a knock on Stanford, but either way, it bears watching.

from USLAXMAG. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:22 pm Continuing the honesty, I’m also on the Stanford hype train. That train didn’t run smoothly out of the station in a 14-11 loss to Virginia. That’s not an awful loss, of course, because Virginia was knocking on the door of the top 10 anyway. But an offense that should be lethal mustered just 23 shots, and the Cardinal turned it over 14 times. Maybe that’s more of a testament to Virginia than it is a knock on Stanford, but either way, it bears watching.

from USLAXMAG. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Stanford lost to a team ranked maybe 5th in the ACC this year and a team that got blitzed in last years playoffs. People fail to realize that Stanford lacks the middle of the field and defensive grit that it takes to be a Top 5 team. I just dont see them getting there anytime soon - if ever.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

“Their offensive scheme looked sharp” what were you watching ? The high school, 2 man game concepts can’t be your main offensive philosophy. All athletic teams , better teams, will jump the picks and cover the cutters. It will work against the weak Pac12 teams but not against the better athletes. And they need better stick skills, to many turnovers! Het coach Get them on the wall and get better with their sticks, but you’re too busy telling us that you recruit the best high school girls, to get better at the basics.
watcherinthewoods

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:45 pm “Their offensive scheme looked sharp” what were you watching ? The high school, 2 man game concepts can’t be your main offensive philosophy. All athletic teams , better teams, will jump the picks and cover the cutters. It will work against the weak Pac12 teams but not against the better athletes. And they need better stick skills, to many turnovers! Het coach Get them on the wall and get better with their sticks, but you’re too busy telling us that you recruit the best high school girls, to get better at the basics.
Basics? Fundamentals? Add those to the list of things that Spencer does not have in her coaching skill set. Long list. No there there.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I stand by my comment about their offense. Two man game and cutters is legit for any conference. Top teams miss cutters and miss switches all the time. There’s no magic offense that anyone runs. Not bc, not unc. Nobody. Run the two man game well and cut at the right time and it can work.

On Stanford, I don’t understand the expectations. They have been a decent top 25 team for 15 years. Zero deep ncaa runs. And stop talking about recruiting classes. High school recruit rankings are loosely, at best, correlated to college success. Their talent simply isn’t deep enough. Who on that team other than 6 starts for bc or Syracuse?

Jenny levy doesn’t coach that team to a quarterfinal.
watcherinthewoods

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:19 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:50 am

With USC & UCLA joining the B1G, the medias going to have a tough job making the PAC-12 relevant
I actually think that moving to the B1G will HELP recruiting for USC.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

jacksonville was 0-3. cmon man. time to jump off the bandwagon
watcherinthewoods

Time out called to wipe out the goal that would have cut the lead to 1 with 1:15 left.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:20 pm

jacksonville was 0-3. cmon man. time to jump off the bandwagon
To be clear, I’m not nor ever have been on the Stanford bandwagon. I think Stanford AND Jacksonville are between the 20th best teams and the 30th best teams in the country. I just dont know why anyone expects better from Stanford. They have been a good not great team for 15 years….and three coaches. When I said better than expected, it’s because they were more competitive in that game than I expected. I thought Virginia would roll them….and uva didn’t start really separating until the second half…
As for their stacked recruiting classes, well I’m just a seller of recruiting class rankings.
Art3mis

Post by Art3mis »

Northwestern had a running clock against Standford in the first quarter.
watcherinthewoods

Stanford HC not exactly known for her ability to lean in ... wonder if she will cut and run?
Art3mis

Post by Art3mis »

Here comes the fallout of an abysmal season.

The defensive coach just removed Stanford from her twitter handle.

I think she was largely ineffective but don't know the circumstances around her departure.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Art3mis wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:01 am Here comes the fallout of an abysmal season.

I think she was largely ineffective but don't know the circumstances around her departure.
All coaches are still listed on the website.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:43 pm
Art3mis wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:01 am Here comes the fallout of an abysmal season.

All coaches are still listed on the website.
Both coordinators are no longer with the program.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”