Yale 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mid-Lax

Re: Yale 2019

Post by Mid-Lax »

calourie, I agree with you that his analysis for this game is right on.
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Here's a recent Hartford Courant feature on TD: https://www.courant.com/sports/college/ ... story.html

Okay, I guess it could be described as a "fluff" piece (human interest) but I find it interesting that (like me) he plays chess.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Once again Shay and staff are going to have to work a little more of the post season magic that has seen them more often than not get their teams to dig deeper in the post season than they have evidenced previously in order for this year's Bulldogs to advance any further than they already have. All seven teams remaining, beginning with Penn on Sunday, have the wherewithal to take the Bulldogs down if Yale fails to bring its' very best at both ends of the field as well as FOGO. Under Shay Yale has seemed to want to embrace the status of being the underdog as opposed to the frontrunner, a condition that has become harder to come by as their national championship of a year ago has begun to give them the aura of now being an elite program. That lofty status will be under assault this Sunday from a likely favored Penn team which has performed like it firmly believes it is worthy of some of that same consideration. Yale would do well to ignore the fact that they are the reigning national champs until proven otherwise and approach this game as though they have proven nothing yet. A certain controlled urgency is likely to be in order and I can't think of a better coaching staff than Yale has in place to get the most out of their collection of somewhat under the radar players (outside of TD) whom I will maintain have the talent and attitude to go all the way until proven otherwise.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:54 pm ...Under Shay Yale has seemed to want to embrace the status of being the underdog as opposed to the frontrunner, a condition that has become harder to come by as their national championship of a year ago has begun to give them the aura of now being an elite program...
Yes indeed. At one of the games at Reese pretty early this season, when I was sitting near a grandfather of one of the players, the grandfather said something like, "I hope we can fly under the radar like we did last year."
I said, "But we're defending national champions this year, we're not gonna fly under anyone's radar."
He smiled and realized I was right. I think that by the time the NCAA quarterfinals roll around, everybody is going all-out no matter which opponent they're up against; and right now "the frontrunner" is probably Penn State, with only one loss and the #1 seed. Against Penn this time around, Yale probably is the underdog, as the Bulldogs would be against Penn State if it comes to that. So, however Shay gets the most focus and intensity for 60 minutes Sunday out of his young men... it boils down to win or your season's over (or, in the cases of the seniors, win or your college career is over).
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Yale doesn't have to 'cast itself' as the underdog as it is won't be the favorite this game and, if they get through, probably the next one too. They need low turnovers, no stupid penalties, and good faceoffs and goaltending. Take no gimme shots.
Lux et veritas
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

They could use good defensive play too
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Lol that about covers them all. But, yes. Some of their slides and single man coverage were terrible last game. I would say that that has been their biggest weakness.

Still a pretty good team. Let's not forget who is the only team to beat PSU.
Lux et veritas
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I have a rooting interest in Yale. Defense has not been championship caliber a few games this years. Most notably the last but they can certainly win it if they play well
calourie

Post by calourie »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... th-notre-d

Back half of the podcast is a decent interview with Andy Shay. Pretty stock Shay stuff, but it does a good job of capturing his mindset and approach as well as some insights into his sense of this year's team's strengths and weaknesses. He makes a point of saying this year's group hasn't really put it all together yet, and it remains to be seen if it will, but he goes out of his way to point out that making the quarter final round of the NCAAs is no small feat in itself. Sunday can't get here soon enough.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Play well Elis and Good Luck!
Lux et veritas
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I will try to embargo any incoming news about Yale’s game this afternoon as I will be attending a family wedding and trying to watch the game later. But I’ll be thinking good thoughts for the Elis at 2:30. Go Yale!
lefty1

Post by lefty1 »

Good day for Cpt Dannegelis thus far. That’s grit!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wow. Wow. Wow!
If it had been a rain-swept day like we had for Yale's quarterfinal against Loyola last year, the natural grass field in E Hartford would have been a treacherous mud bowl; with the weather cooperating, I love watching good lacrosse played on natural grass.
Yale has certainly had its doubters this year; fair enough. Yes, TD Ierlan's transfer made a difference, but today Will Weitzel's goal made a difference, Luke Eschbach's goal made a difference, and I could go on and name every Yale player and say that he made a difference. When Jackson Morrill scored the Elis' 18th goal, just beating the shot clock to put Yale up by two, 18-16, late, I thought that Yale would win in regulation. Credit to Penn for coming back to tie it up; then TD almost won it in the dying seconds of regulation. Credit to Jack Starr for his saves and clears, credit to TD for continuing to battle even after it looked like Penn's Gallagher had gained the upper hand, credit to Lucas Cotler for his goals. Credit to every Yale player, but lordy how Jack Tigh stood up, somehow with the ball, and beat Junkin to win the game; talk about a senior stepping up!
Yale knows that it can beat Penn State; whether or not it will do so next weekend remains to be seen. In any case, getting back to the Final Four is a great accomplishment, although I have no doubt that Shay and his young men won't be patting themselves on the back just yet, as there is at least one more game to be played.
calourie

Post by calourie »

What an amazing lacrosse game to watch. Tip of the hat to both teams for a magnificent effort and never quit mentality. Can't say enough about the grit that Shay and coaches have instilled year in year out in this Yale program, and congratulations to this year's 50 man squad for continuing that resolve. FannOlax covered all the bases from the game I would have mentioned so I will just add: On to Philadelphia where I truly believe the Bulldogs have a decent chance of outscoring Penn State in the semis now that Gallagher is out of the way for TD. Though worrisomely porous at times on defense this team plays with an excess of offensive selflessness and ball sharing and team enthusiasm in general that I think should serve them well in the final four.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

WHEW
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Battle of the heavyweights. Great game. Congrats to the Elis!
Lux et veritas
calourie

Post by calourie »

The truly miraculous thing about Tigh’s game winning effort is that he kept his stick in his hand when he went to the ground and scooped the ball one handed or he would have been called for playing without a stick. The four man dodge was a piece of cake after that
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Heading to Philly in the morning and hoping for a great game, but grateful for a terrific season-long title defense by the Elis, no matter tomorrow’s result. Go Yale!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Congratulations to TD Ierlan on being named 1st Team All American, to Chris Fake on being named 2nd Team All America, to Jackson Morrill on being 3rd Team All American, and to John Daniggelis, Jack Tigh, Matt Gaudet and Aidan Hynes on being Honorable Mention All Americans. While there is lots of talent returning next year, today is the day, the final fours! Whether or not this year's version of Yale men's lacrosse manages to pull off the difficult feat of beating Penn State twice in one year, making it to the Final Four is a tremendous accomplishment. Congratulations to the players and staff of Yale lacrosse! Go get 'em!
lefty1

Post by lefty1 »

I’ll take the 1st quarter.
2nd quarter not so much.

Collectively, the team came out in force and now it’s time to regroup. No doubt, Shay will get them dialed in.
Penn State will not go away, so let’s see some composure and senior leadership.

Let’s make a stop!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”