nyjay

Re: nys hs championships

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:58 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:27 pm
River Donkey wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:32 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:10 pm
nyjay wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:00 pm Was hoping one of the Section 1 teams would survive the semis. Oh well. Feel like the LI/Westchester semis are often the de facto finals.
not to worry. section 3 and 5 have 34 championships, section 1 has 10, 7 of those from yorktown.

section 1 has 2 in A (or all classes) in 45 years, and none since 1996.
2 in B in almost 30 years, and 2 in C&D (D just got started) total in the 22 years they've had that.
How many for section 8?
i dunno. look it up and pick a time frame. from 2000 on or so 11 and 8 have won a bunch. so has 3/5. 3 and 5 have won 21 i think since about 2020 and 1 has won maybe 3 or 4. which is why i posted on nyjay's post, which i considered specious. he's sticking with it.
3, 8 and 11 are all semi equal since this all started. but li guys like to bunch the 2.
I already admitted I was wrong. My simple point is the LI (both Nassau and Suffolk) is the best region on the state. The LI champ is going to be the favorite most years. Section 1 suffers from having to play the LI champ every year in the semis. As I said before, no disrespect intended to upstate, but I’m not a fan of the upstate/ downstate semis.
yes and that's fine.
if you didn't catch it, my point was that by saying what you did originally, that's pretty insulting to a lot of teams. in particular to the 21 teams who've gone on to win state championships against whoever was the downstate champion, whereas section one has one several. that's a pretty big disparity, wouldn't you agree?

section 1 also gets to get into the semis by playing an out section occasionally and then section 2, who has won even fewer.

and once again, 3 and 8 and 11 are all about equal overall. 8 and 11 have probably been stronger lately. maybe the winds change. but section 1's champs have been fewer and further between fwiw.

by the way, i love section 1 and all of the ny state tournament.
Your point is well made. I would prefer seeded (rather than regional) semis. That’s my point. It was poorly stated initially.
Nigel

Re: 2022 NYS Public High School State Tournament

Post by Nigel »

Maybe this game comes down to stamina except for the fogos which have to be well rested.
Good thought here but the stamina factor IMO didn't come into play until later in the 4Q. And by that time the game was essentially over at 6-1. Thought it was a very solid and impressive effort by GC today. The ran the field well on the break (think two goals), they really limited the Cdga offense to 'one and dones' and too many times 'none and dones' (shot total had to be real low), and their FO guy was a very big problem for Cdga throughout the contest. Very good coaching move by GC putting a pole on Braves #3. Cdga looked uncomfortable on offense all day and twice coughed up the ball on stall warnings. In addition they had a killer unforced turnover on a critical MU opportunity. Two posts hit didn't help and as good as their GK has been lately I think he let in two that he would normally stop. Great season by the Braves but clearly the better team won today.

As much as I was impressed by GC, the same can be said for B'ville. Great stick skills, great confidence, and a great capper to a great season. Oh, and this was a (you got it) great game to watch!

Murf - it was a pleasure! Do it again next year?
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Your girls also couldn't get it done. Pretty crazy the same random upstate school won the State Title over the same Long Island school. LI13 have you ever been up to Baldwinsville? If people knew who you were they'd give you the royal treatment! Northport already has a lax title... great that a quality program like B'ville finally gets their first two! Pretty sure both of these great lax towns will win others down the road
tech37

Post by tech37 »

thedisciple516 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:58 am Your girls also couldn't get it done. Pretty crazy the same random upstate school won the State Title over the same Long Island school. LI13 have you ever been up to Baldwinsville? If people knew who you were they'd give you the royal treatment! Northport already has a lax title... great that a quality program like B'ville finally gets their first two! Pretty sure both of these great lax towns will win others down the road
Just for the record, the Bville girls won their first title in 2000 under coach Doug Rowe. He built the program.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:23 pm
nyjay wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:00 pm Was hoping one of the Section 1 teams would survive the semis. Oh well. Feel like the LI/Westchester semis are often the de facto finals.
not to worry. section 3 and 5 have 34 championships, section 1 has 10, 7 of those from yorktown.

2 in B in almost 30 years, and 2 in C&D (D just got started) total in the 22 years they've had that.
I think it's a different world these days, but you're obviously right on a historical basis. As a Westchester guy, feels like very good teams get beaten by LI teams that go on to win the championship on regular basis. No disrespect meant to Upstate, which clearly has a much better tradition than Westchester. Briarcliff and Rye were both legitimately good this year.
Bronxville in 23. Chris Patterson going off for 6/gn in playoffs. Book it
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How many for section 8?
i dunno. look it up and pick a time frame. from 2000 on or so 11 and 8 have won a bunch. so has 3/5. 3 and 5 have won 21 i think since about 2020 and 1 has won maybe 3 or 4. which is why i posted on nyjay's post, which i considered specious. he's sticking with it.
3, 8 and 11 are all semi equal since this all started. but li guys like to bunch the 2.
I already admitted I was wrong. My simple point is the LI (both Nassau and Suffolk) is the best region on the state. The LI champ is going to be the favorite most years. Section 1 suffers from having to play the LI champ every year in the semis. As I said before, no disrespect intended to upstate, but I’m not a fan of the upstate/ downstate semis.
If you live in the city rockland co IS upstate
See Martin, Malcolm
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

kr522 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:22 pm c’mon Murf! Congrats to you and the school on the impressive W
I know it's well-nigh impossible for a player on the losing side to win an MVP award. I'm quite sure no such award is nor should be given. Teams win and teams lose.Perhaps I was overly exuberant, praising that young man's performance but I thought he deserved a nod.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:26 pm
Maybe this game comes down to stamina except for the fogos which have to be well rested.
Good thought here but the stamina factor IMO didn't come into play until later in the 4Q. And by that time the game was essentially over at 6-1. Thought it was a very solid and impressive effort by GC today. The ran the field well on the break (think two goals), they really limited the Cdga offense to 'one and dones' and too many times 'none and dones' (shot total had to be real low), and their FO guy was a very big problem for Cdga throughout the contest. Very good coaching move by GC putting a pole on Braves #3. Cdga looked uncomfortable on offense all day and twice coughed up the ball on stall warnings. In addition they had a killer unforced turnover on a critical MU opportunity. Two posts hit didn't help and as good as their GK has been lately I think he let in two that he would normally stop. Great season by the Braves but clearly the better team won today.

As much as I was impressed by GC, the same can be said for B'ville. Great stick skills, great confidence, and a great capper to a great season. Oh, and this was a (you got it) great game to watch!

Backatcha. Hope to see both teams in next year's finals.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

nyjay wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:27 pm

How many for section 8?
yes and that's fine.
if you didn't catch it, my point was that by saying what you did originally, that's pretty insulting to a lot of teams. in particular to the 21 teams who've gone on to win state championships against whoever was the downstate champion, whereas section one has one several. that's a pretty big disparity, wouldn't you agree?

section 1 also gets to get into the semis by playing an out section occasionally and then section 2, who has won even fewer.

and once again, 3 and 8 and 11 are all about equal overall. 8 and 11 have probably been stronger lately. maybe the winds change. but section 1's champs have been fewer and further between fwiw.

Your point is well made. I would prefer seeded (rather than regional) semis. That’s my point. It was poorly stated initially.
Given statewide demographics the thesis I’d expect is that Section 3 (and 4/5 though 4 may already be dead big picture) to outperform in class C&D, maybe B, and LI to do better in A & B. School districts shrinking in upstate more frequently than LI.

Conversely you could have regional consolidation into larger schools covering bigger geographic areas possibly. But no doubt upstate is changing due to what’s going on in general up there.
See Martin, Malcolm
docda33

Post by docda33 »

What a treat! Wasn’t aware of this forum until yesterday. Haven’t been in a forum since Laxpower days of yore. I see some of the old names: wahoomurf, kr522, LI13, et al. On top of that, I got to watch Manhasset win another state title with live streaming for $11! Can’t beat that. 👍. Congrats to all the state champs out there. Congrats to MHS boys/girls for both bringing home the hardware! Final thought, I’m so impressed with how well these boys play. Been decades since I held a lacrosse stick. We went to state finals and had we played the 2022 MHS lax team, we would have lost by 10 or more. The level of play is amazing. Great to be back!
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:45 am

How many for section 8?
yes and that's fine.

Given statewide demographics the thesis I’d expect is that Section 3 (and 4/5 though 4 may already be dead big picture) to outperform in class C&D, maybe B, and LI to do better in A & B. School districts shrinking in upstate more frequently than LI.

Conversely you could have regional consolidation into larger schools covering bigger geographic areas possibly. But no doubt upstate is changing due to what’s going on in general up there.
Consolidation is already happening. State semifinalist from section 6, Lake Shore was combined with Silver Creek which you may remember from the Zed Williams days when they made it to the state semifinals on their own playing with 11 players. Not absolutely sure if the consolidation is from school sizes or lack of participants.

Upstate Class B had been very competitive prior to the pandemic and time will tell if it returns. West Genesee seems to be on the right track after a change in leadership. Jamesville DeWitt had a strong run in B with 4 state titles from 07 to 16 and are now in C where they played in a recent final. Bit of a down year for them at 12-5.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

How many for section 8?
yes and that's fine.

gotcha.
outside of the results themselves, there are 2 sticky problems that make that very unlikely.
who is seeding it and how?
travel.

and then there's maybe a 3rd and that's tradition. if anyone has an objection, it's the island for having to play each other in the quarters from 2 of the traditionally 3 strongholds. (victor in 5 has made a case more recently for 4). they get the consolation of playing for the island champ, which is no small thing.

you may or may not know the history, but when it all started, the long island crew was in charge. they said they were going to keep 8 and 11 on opposite sides of the bracket until someone beat them. and give themselves byes when possible. it didn't take that long, in 1980 both henninger and ytown beat them, and that with henninger even being forced to play an extra round while 8 and 11 put themselves in the semis:
https://blaxfive.net/tournaments/bracke ... &tourn=nys
the rest is history.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:41 pm

you may or may not know the history, but when it all started, the long island crew was in charge. they said they were going to keep 8 and 11 on opposite sides of the bracket until someone beat them. and give themselves byes when possible. it didn't take that long, in 1980 both henninger and ytown beat them, and that with henninger even being forced to play an extra round while 8 and 11 put themselves in the semis:
https://blaxfive.net/tournaments/bracke ... &tourn=nys
the rest is history.
Tip of the cap to 1980 Henninger and Yorktown then!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:45 am

How many for section 8?
yes and that's fine.

Consolidation is already happening. State semifinalist from section 6, Lake Shore was combined with Silver Creek which you may remember from the Zed Williams days when they made it to the state semifinals on their own playing with 11 players. Not absolutely sure if the consolidation is from school sizes or lack of participants.

Upstate Class B had been very competitive prior to the pandemic and time will tell if it returns. West Genesee seems to be on the right track after a change in leadership. Jamesville DeWitt had a strong run in B with 4 state titles from 07 to 16 and are now in C where they played in a recent final. Bit of a down year for them at 12-5.
I prefer to think about it as Frank Brown’s silver creek.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... rown/11297

I mean I know from a primary information source that the state is looking to consolidate SUNYs. There are some spots that just aren’t going to come back. Will be interesting to see how they evolve over time.
See Martin, Malcolm
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

[/quote]

Of course Long Island will have the most championships if you combine Nassau and Suffolk. The combined population of Nassau and Suffolk Counties is just shy of 3 million.. which is twice more than any other section. The real interesting question is which single section has the most titles. That's the fairer question as the populations of Section 1, 3, 5 etc. are a lot closer to Nassau and Suffolk's 1.5 million each...

Sections 4 - 1 championship

Section 2 - 1 championship

Section 5 - 6 championships (10 if you include girls)

Section 1 - 10 championships (15 if you include girls)

Section 8 (Nassau) - 27 championships (50 if you include girls)

Section 11 (Suffolk) - 29 championships (44 if you include girls)

Section 3 - 29 championships (50 if you include girls)

The other interesting question (when trying to determine best lax area) is where to put Cold Spring Harbor? They are located in Suffolk County but play in Section 8. I included them in Section 8. If you include their 7 titles (4 boys, 3 girls) with Suffolk then Suffolk has 33 titles (51 overall with girls) and Nassau has 23 (43 with girls).

BTW it's possible I didn't count these 100% correctly.

http://www.newyorksportswriters.org/ref ... amps.shtml

http://www.newyorksportswriters.org/ref ... amps.shtml
kr522

Post by kr522 »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:26 am
kr522 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:22 pm c’mon Murf! Congrats to you and the school on the impressive W
I know it's well-nigh impossible for a player on the losing side to win an MVP award. I'm quite sure no such award is nor should be given. Teams win and teams lose.Perhaps I was overly exuberant, praising that young man's performance but I thought he deserved a nod.
Fair enough, and you’ve always been a fair and unbiased fan of HS lacrosse, and one of my favorite posters on these boards going back to the laxpower days. Enjoy the offseason
kr522

Post by kr522 »

docda33 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:03 am What a treat! Wasn’t aware of this forum until yesterday. Haven’t been in a forum since Laxpower days of yore. I see some of the old names: wahoomurf, kr522, LI13, et al. On top of that, I got to watch Manhasset win another state title with live streaming for $11! Can’t beat that. 👍. Congrats to all the state champs out there. Congrats to MHS boys/girls for both bringing home the hardware! Final thought, I’m so impressed with how well these boys play. Been decades since I held a lacrosse stick. We went to state finals and had we played the 2022 MHS lax team, we would have lost by 10 or more. The level of play is amazing. Great to be back!
Hey doc, welcome back! Glad you found this place and got to watch your old team take home the trophy
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:26 pm

Congrats to GC! Coach Finnell, his staff and players are top notch.

It was going to be an uphill battle for Cdga with no room for errors and they had several, as Nigel pointed out. Losing their leading scorer and best D Middie to injury early second half was a dagger. If their f/o guy is a problem, I dare you to find a solution to Cascadden. That kid is a monster.
Last edited by tothedraw on Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vermont25

Post by Vermont25 »

LI13 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:47 pm Our boys had a great season, but just couldn't get it done today against a very, very good Baldwinsville squad. Congrats to the Bees! Well-coached, athletic team. Very impressive.
B'ville scouted the Tigers well, the slid only to the true threats of Northport. Well coached team. Simply stating B'ville had more threats on offense and negated the huge advantage Npt had all season at the Face Off X. Both played hard and represented programs/town well.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

kr522 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:51 pm That kid Deliberti is going to be a superstar for you the next 3 years

Congrats to Baldwinsville on their first state title
The progress he made this year was pretty incredible, seemed to get better every game. Losing impact seniors will hurt as usual, but I think we'll be back pretty strong next year.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”