General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: World Soccer

Post by Brooklyn »

THotspur 1
Everton 0

https://www.theguardian.com/football/li ... eague-live

career win # 200 for Jose Mourinho

After the game much of the tv discussion dealt with a brief spat between Son and Lloris:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, unfortunately, the Tottenham v Everton game was very mediocre, so perhaps the most noteworthy action was a spat between teammates. Unfortunately, my initial doubts about Jose Mourinho have been looking all too accurate.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53 pmunfortunately, the Tottenham v Everton game was very mediocre...
yawner. but mediocre games are better than no games.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Was looking for a good game with Spurs and Everton, but it never came about. Hopefully Arsenal and Leicester make up for it. Lots to play for with Chelsea and Man U right on the heels of the Foxes. It’s not looking like they can hold on to a CL spot.

I was impressed with Arsenal’s overall play against a very good Wolves which often play a strong 2nd half but were left frustrated by a smothering Gunners.

Just heard the start of the next season is expected to be second week of September. That’ll make for a long season and one without the energy of the fans.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

A good, entertaining game of footy today ended Brighton 1 Liverpool 3, although there could have been more goals. Few teams can afford to give away gift goals to Liverpool as Brighton did within a few minutes of the game having started. Henderson's goal was very well taken, and even more so was Brighton's (Trossard's) goal. Brighton played some good, bright attacking football, but Liverpool deserved all three points. I'll be watching Bournemouth vs Tottenham tomorrow.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Aston VIlla 0
Man United 3

Bruno Fernandes PK 27' (another softee ref call)
Mason Greenwood (18 year old looks like he has a great future) 45' + 5'
Pogba 58'

MU in 5th place
AV 2d from bottom of EPL
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Bruno Fernandes is looking like an absolutely terrific signing for Manchester United. Will be interesting to see if Pogba re-ups at Man U. Lots of English games this weekend!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Ahhhhhh good ole kickball, the most boring game on the face of the planet. :roll: I would rather watch a golf tournament than I would ever watch a kickball game. The last time I watched a kickball game on TV some team actually, almost came very close to scoring a goal. That actually never happened but the possibility of it happening was there. The most amusing aspect of kickball in when one player goes to the ground writhing in untold agony and grabbing his leg. I almost expect to see a bone protruding from somewhere. Right on cue, just before the medivac helicopter arrives the injured player jumps up like nothing ever happened and keeps right on playing. Kickball is for pansies who are bad actors. The women are the only kick ball players who actually give the game any interest IMO.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Just magical.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, Thierry Henry was terrific, magical, silky-smooth graceful, plus all the superlatives... while being a Tottenham supporter makes me recall with agitation some of the goals Henry scored for Arsenal, Thierry was also France's leading scorer in the 1998 World Cup won by France, also played for Barcelona, etc.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:40 pm Yes, Thierry Henry was terrific, magical, silky-smooth graceful, plus all the superlatives... while being a Tottenham supporter makes me recall with agitation some of the goals Henry scored for Arsenal, Thierry was also France's leading scorer in the 1998 World Cup won by France, also played for Barcelona, etc.
Man I loved watching Henry. I took my son to an Arsenal Vs West Ham game a few years ago. Henry had already left for Barca. I was a big Arsenal fan. Actually a kid that had played part of his youth soccer here in the US was rostered for Arsenal. He was 17. Wenger compared him to Fabregas. He never reaches that level and was eventually loaned out. Injuries. I believe he is in the MLS now. Had dual citizenship with Germany. The greatest vision and ability to deliver a ball that I had ever seen in youth soccer. Saw him play for 10 minutes at u12 and he was the best player Inhad ever seen. Also, my son’s team played against a team with Puliscic. He was solid. Didn’t stand out but held his own. He was playing two or three years up. That was at u13 and Puliscic was u11. Club with a lot of Eastern European parents and I remember a parent talking about the really young kid on the team. It turned out to be him.
Typical Lax Dad

El Fenomeno!!

Pre-injury he was just magnificent. I like the big, fast, skillful strikers that put pressure on the defense.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:12 pm .... Also, my son’s team played against a team with Puliscic. He was solid. Didn’t stand out but held his own. He was playing two or three years up. That was at u13 and Puliscic was u11. Club with a lot of Eastern European parents and I remember a parent talking about the really young kid on the team. It turned out to be him.
Pulisic could easily turn out to be the best US player yet. Right now, he's playing with confidence and goal-scoring flair for Chelsea. The real test for him will be Chelsea in the Champions League; Chelsea aren't favored, but if Christian Pulisic is able to raise his game against Europe's finest... well, Chelsea's defense has been very inconsistent, but it could be fascinating to watch Pulisic against some of Europe's best defenses. If nothing else, he can learn a lot and continue improving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDifwFmpCxI
Last edited by FannOLax on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:12 pm .... Also, my son’s team played against a team with Puliscic. He was solid. Didn’t stand out but held his own. He was playing two or three years up. That was at u13 and Puliscic was u11. Club with a lot of Eastern European parents and I remember a parent talking about the really young kid on the team. It turned out to be him.
Pulisic could easily turn out to be the best US player yet. Right now, he's playing with confidence and goal-scoring flair for Chelsea. The real test for him will be Chelsea in the Champions League; Chelsea aren't favored, but if Christian Pulisic is able to raise his game against Europe's finest... well, Chelsea's defense has been very inconsistent, but it could be fascinating to watch Pulisic against some of Europe's best defenses. If nothing else, he can learn a lot and continue improving.
Yep. He took an unconventional route. The one thing I will never understand about lacrosse is that kids are rewarded for playing down. Soccer coaches would never be interested in a u17 kid dominating u15 kids.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:40 pm Yes, Thierry Henry was terrific, magical, silky-smooth graceful, plus all the superlatives... while being a Tottenham supporter makes me recall with agitation some of the goals Henry scored for Arsenal, Thierry was also France's leading scorer in the 1998 World Cup won by France, also played for Barcelona, etc.
Where does your affection for Spurs come from?

I became an Arsenal fan long ago when PBS used to show English football highlights with Mario Machado narrating. Later I followed them on internet and cable and went to the championship season finale at Highbury against Everton in 2002 and another game at Highbury against Charlton in 2004. It’s tough to follow then now with a team that lacks the tough character of then. T Henry was an amazing talent to see in person. I miss the likes of Robert Pires at midfield.

I can’t figure out why Spurs are so mediocre. Lucky 3 points against Everton and lucky 1 point against Bournemouth. I think Mourinho was a bad choice and losing Ericsson was huge.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:00 pm
Where does your affection for Spurs come from?
It all started with the first pro footy ("soccer") game I attended: White Hart Lane on Boxing Day. I've seen Spurs in person 19 times, I believe, mainly in London, but also in Manchester (Old Trafford) and Nottingham (City Ground); mainly back in the days of Glenn Hoddle, etc., but also as recently as November 2018 (Selhurst Park).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ahDUm6rLw
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Sheffield United vs Chelsea:

I esp liked the work of David McGoldrick.

Up to now, I have not been comfortable watching a game played without fans. But have gotten used to it. The piped in crowd noises help and am glad this helps keep people safer.

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Sheffield United are definitely to be commended, a low-budget, just-promoted and generally unfancied side that has had a terrific season and easily brushed aside Chelsea. The surprise of the weekend must have been Bournemouth 4 Leicester 1; I suppose that makes Tottenham Hotspur's recent draw at Bournemouth look better when I was all set to criticize the dickens out of Mourinho. Of course, Mourinho won his first North London Derby 2-1, which clearly heads off any criticism... for now, at least. Glad that VAR didn't play a starring role in the Tottenham v Arsenal game, as I believe it did in denying Crystal Palace the opening goal against Aston Villa (don't English teams have the best names?). Liverpool failed to win at home in the League for the first time since January 2019; they definitely haven't been the same since the forced break.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Manchester United v. Southampton

details: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tch-report

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Inch-perfect cross / pass by Pulisic to assist on Giroud's goal just before HT against Norwich.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”