nyjay

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by nyjay »

JeremyCuse wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:38 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:31 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:18 pm These officials have been horrific
We can agree on that.
For both teams they were awful, multiple bizarre or no calls
Fair enough. I’ll be completely honest - I am completely unable to predict calls on face offs. I am totally able to figure out when they call a jump and I when they don’t. And when they call a hold and when they don’t. It feels totally random to me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:42 pm
We can agree on that.
Fair enough. I’ll be completely honest - I am completely unable to predict calls on face offs. I am totally able to figure out when they call a jump and I when they don’t. And when they call a hold and when they don’t. It feels totally random to me.
The face off is a complete train wreck.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

We can agree on that.
I think they are just over-officiating the face off the past couple seasons. I'm with you, from game to game I can't figure out most of the violations outside of someone clearly jumping early.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Pensky Material wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:46 pm
We can agree on that.
I think they are just over-officiating the face off the past couple seasons. I'm with you, from game to game I can't figure out most of the violations outside of someone clearly jumping early.
I feel like someone jumps early most of the time. Maybe there’s a mismatch in the video and audio or something, but I see toms of jumps that aren’t called. I get that this is the Cuse thread, but the violation they called on Hop was completely baffling to me.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Had my doubts about using sub defenders on man down D but they were superb tonight and have been rather good all year . Kudos to those kids
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I have a hard time seeing where Syracuse doesn't get in, with that win, a top 5 RPI (really top 2) win.
They're going to be now top 10-15 RPI themselves.

I don't see Syracuse going without a win in the ACC.

And there are some winnable solid RPI games remaining - aside of course from Duke, ND, UVA.

For all the chatter, Syracuse in this stretch of seasons really only were out of the NCAAs in '22 and '23.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:41 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:31 pm After watching Syracuse, I can’t believe all the hype around Spallina. Guy can’t dodge. Nice finisher and reminds me of Nate Solomon.

Their face off guy is legit. Crazy he’s been there so long and now is starting to dominate.

Joey doesn't separate often and sometimes plays into the hands of doubles by turning his back but does have excellent vision and passing skills.
6 pts tonight on 2g and 4 a and was quite impactful in the 2h

Kohn and Mullen are quite a 1-2 punch
As Carc said 37 times "Spallina has great lax IQ" if I were playing a drinking game id be passed out :|
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:51 pm
We can agree on that.
I feel like someone jumps early most of the time. Maybe there’s a mismatch in the video and audio or something, but I see toms of jumps that aren’t called. I get that this is the Cuse thread, but the violation they called on Hop was completely baffling to me.
I think they called him for withholding, I guess he could have flipped the ball out of his stick but he didn’t so they called him on it. I thought it was on Syracuse at first. Not a great call. I thought Hopkins got away with a couple of early starts that weren’t called. And of course the phantom offside call, that if it were offside on Syracuse I think they should have been man down for, that led to a Hopkins goal. Not a well officiated game but I don’t think it favored one team more than the other.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Please stop with the officiating .Point out that Cuse man down D was superb especially when Hop had two minute unreleasable and came up empty

Cuse won because they outplayed Hop in the 2h. Faceoffs were clear advantage for Cuse and that aint changing . Would have been a 3-4 goal win If not for Ierlan.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:58 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:51 pm
We can agree on that.
I think they called him for withholding, I guess he could have flipped the ball out of his stick but he didn’t so they called him on it. I thought it was on Syracuse at first. Not a great call. I thought Hopkins got away with a couple of early starts that weren’t called. And of course the phantom offside call, that if it were offside on Syracuse I think they should have been man down for, that led to a Hopkins goal. Not a well officiated game but I don’t think it favored one team more than the other.
That might be right. Better explanation than I’ve heard elsewhere. But If I had been watching the game with a non lacrosse fan who saw that play and asked what happened, I would have no idea how to answer. I don’t think that’s a good thing for the game, irrespective of who you root for and how a particular call went.

I’m not a do away with the faceoff guy, but the current rules - or maybe just how they are officiated? - don’t really seem to work.
DMac

Post by DMac »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:51 pm I get that this is the Cuse thread, but the violation they called on Hop was completely baffling to me.
Was nothing baffling about the call, Hop guy had the ball clamped to the ground withholding it from play.
That's strictly verboten, was the right and good call.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:31 pm After watching Syracuse, I can’t believe all the hype around Spallina. Guy can’t dodge. Nice finisher and reminds me of Nate Solomon.

Their face off guy is legit. Crazy he’s been there so long and now is starting to dominate.
He had 6 ots against Hopkins Top defender, what more were you looking for him to do? Work the concessions at half?
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:44 pm
We can agree on that.
The face off is a complete train wreck.
1000%, multiple times a guy clearly went early no call and then other times they called a violation with no apparent mistake by either fogo. I don't have the answer but the current set up is not sustainable.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:45 pm

He had 6 ots against Hopkins Top defender, what more were you looking for him to do? Work the concessions at half?
He’s not Brennan O’niell, he’s not Kavanagh, he’s definitely not Shellenberger. He’s in the next crop of attack men with the likes of Eskra, Duffy etc. i thought he was supposed to be a super star, that’s all. Nice player though.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That guy is just silly.

——————

Spallina is boat-racing the rest of Division I in scoring.
53 points through 8 games.

Personally, I’m seeing all that summer Canadian box league work starting to pay off.

What I see is a hard-working lacrosse player.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:27 am

That guy is just silly.

——————

Personally, I’m seeing all that summer Canadian box league work starting to pay off.

Against poor competition. He’s played poorly vs top teams less Hopkins, where he was more so the benefiter of a doorstep goal and assist. He’s the benefit of a talented team with sixth year seniors, Princeton transfers etc. he’s not a QB, which I thought he’d be more of. Just a finisher. Solid player, not Shelly, which you would have thought with all his pre season hype.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:37 am

That guy is just silly.

——————

Against poor competition. He’s played poorly vs top teams less Hopkins, where he was more so the benefiter of a doorstep goal and assist. He’s the benefit of a talented team with sixth year seniors, Princeton transfers etc. he’s not a QB, which I thought he’d be more of. Just a finisher. Solid player, not Shelly, which you would have thought with all his pre season hype.
Just a finisher? He just had three assists against Hopkins. Amazing that they let people type whatever nonsense they want on this board.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:04 am

That guy is just silly.

——————

Just a finisher? He just had three assists against Hopkins. Amazing that they let people type whatever nonsense they want on this board.
Against top 15 teams average 3.6 points per game, when he gets to five game let me know. I am not in the media so I can say Shellenberger is the best player in college lacrosse period stop.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

That guy is just silly.

——————

Stop kidding yourself, he’s just not that good. He was supposed to be the next Gary Gait reading on this board and the hype and it’s just not there. He’s Nate Solomon 2.0, not Ryan Powell
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:45 am

That guy is just silly.

——————

Stop kidding yourself, he’s just not that good. He was supposed to be the next Gary Gait reading on this board and the hype and it’s just not there. He’s Nate Solomon 2.0, not Ryan Powell
When did I call him Gary Gait or Ryan Powell? I don’t care what the media says. He’s a good player and you’re simply posting false information to fulfill whatever bizarre agenda you have against this kid. You called him a finisher, when he’s coming off a game with three assists, to say nothing of the fact he’s got more assists than goals this year. But of course you can’t rely on any facts so you go down the old, lazy, tired boring talking points about him not living up to whatever ideal you have in your head.

Good for you, you came on a message board to trash a 19 year old kid behind your keyboard. Hope you feel good about yourself.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”