Beef with the polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Beef with the polls

Post by DMac »

I do think you guys have Cuse ranked too high at 3, but 8th?? GK woes hurt them badly.
Got a strong feeling Loyola's gonna beat 'em tomorrow evening.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Notre Dame and Hopkins are to high in the pols, in my mind. If you would show the voters their records and schedule, without their schools name being associated with them they wouldn't be in the top 25. IF UCONN, UMASS, Temple etc. had the same schedule and the same results that Notre Dame or Hopkins has had so far they wouldn't be ranked where those two schools are.

Just an old mans rant this Monday morning :)
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:17 am Notre Dame and Hopkins are to high in the pols, in my mind. If you would show the voters their records and schedule, without their schools name being associated with them they wouldn't be in the top 25. IF UCONN, UMASS, Temple etc. had the same schedule and the same results that Notre Dame or Hopkins has had so far they wouldn't be ranked where those two schools are.

Just an old mans rant this Monday morning :)
Tough to argue with you on that!
@inthe8m

Re: Coaches poll

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:34 am
This makes more sense.
Poor, UConn. Despite having a better overall record, a higher RPI, and beating the team head-to-head, UConn is ranked 3 spots below UMass.

Notre Dame should not be ranked at all with a 4-6 record. ND is approaching a tipping point where they may not even be able to have a winning season. Can a team make the NCAA tourney this year with a losing record?
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... crosse-rpi

This maybe a little better reflection of how teams actually stack up.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:21 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:34 am
This makes more sense.
Poor, UConn. Despite having a better overall record, a higher RPI, and beating the team head-to-head, UConn is ranked 3 spots below UMass.

Notre Dame should not be ranked at all with a 4-6 record. ND is approaching a tipping point where they may not even be able to have a winning season. Can a team make the NCAA tourney this year with a losing record?
I think you have to be at least .500
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:24 pm https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... crosse-rpi

This maybe a little better reflection of how teams actually stack up.
Not sure about Princeton at #4
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:21 pm Can a team make the NCAA tourney this year with a losing record?
ixnay. That was a one time concession in 2021 because of Covid. Finish under .500 in 2022 and beyond—disqualified from consideration for the tournament.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:03 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:21 pm Can a team make the NCAA tourney this year with a losing record?
ixnay. That was a one time concession in 2021 because of Covid. Finish under .500 in 2022 and beyond—disqualified from consideration for the tournament.
In the case of ND, presumably it would leave their only path to the NCAA tournament as winning the ACC tournament if their record is under .500???
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxlaxlax wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:34 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:03 pm
In the case of ND, presumably it would leave their only path to the NCAA tournament as winning the ACC tournament if their record is under .500???
Correct, the possibility of which is hysterical in and of itself.
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

If they can't pull an upset vs BC or UNC, in either regular season or the tournament, ND is done.
Currently 4-6 games against UNC, BC, Pitt, Marquette, and Louisville. Likely 7-8 to finish regular season.
Win in ACC quarters against would get you to 8-8, but then you have to face BC or UNC in the semis - lose that and you're back under .500
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Conspiracy alert! ND lax website shows another game not mention against Detroit Mercy - huh?? I don't think that game was on their initial schedule. Even if ND manages to get to a 500 record their RPI rating (used by committee) is awful. They still may not get in.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:33 pm Conspiracy alert! ND lax website shows another game not mention against Detroit Mercy - huh?? I don't think that game was on their initial schedule. Even if ND manages to get to a 500 record their RPI rating (used by committee) is awful. They still may not get in.
Nice work, Mr. Holmes 😉

viewtopic.php?p=313728#p313728
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:33 pm Conspiracy alert! ND lax website shows another game not mention against Detroit Mercy - huh?? I don't think that game was on their initial schedule. Even if ND manages to get to a 500 record their RPI rating (used by committee) is awful. They still may not get in.
Unless they upset UNC or BC in the next couple of weeks or pull a similar type upset in the ACC tourney, they should not be in consideration for the NCAA tourney even if they get to even. But, they are in the ACC - so, they will get the benefit of the doubt that better teams not in the ACC do not receive for at-large bids.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Sneaky - and a virtually guaranteed win no less!
Currently, their RPI is 22. In past years, that's good enough to get you in, all else equal.
Would a 9-9 finish, with a regular season win vs UVA and a quarterfinal win vs Duke or Syracuse be enough? I would vote no - those good wins would be offset by losses to likely non-tourney teams in Vandy and VT.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Assuming ND beats Louisville (no guarantee since Louisville beat VT and VT beat ND), ND will go into the ACC with an 8-8 record. I see them as most likely a 5 seed playing #4 seed Duke. Duke just beat them and pretty much controlled the game so Duke would be a solid favorite to do so again.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

crazyhorse wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:52 pm Sneaky - and a virtually guaranteed win no less!
Currently, their RPI is 22. In past years, that's good enough to get you in, all else equal.
Would a 9-9 finish, with a regular season win vs UVA and a quarterfinal win vs Duke or Syracuse be enough? I would vote no - those good wins would be offset by losses to likely non-tourney teams in Vandy and VT.
I don’t know what the future holds, but currently Vandy has a higher RPI than Notre Dame. I also don’t know what the committee will ultimately do either. Vandy still has games vs. Temple, Louisville and Florida so if they win two of those three and win the rest of their AAC games they are probably tourney bound

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”