Syracuse 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
HailMaryPass

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by HailMaryPass »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:09 pm
laxguy95 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:40 pm Anyone know why Mackenzie Rich transferred out of UNC to Syracuse? Playing time?
Could very well have been, though she did redshirt her frosh year in 2022. See below:

R-FRESHMAN (2023) – Made 10 appearances as a reserve attacker … Finished the season with nine goals, four assists and 14 points … Recorded two goals in her first career appearance vs. Liberty on Feb. 15 … First career hat trick vs. High Point on March 23, also dishing out an assist for a career-high four points … Registered two goals and one assist vs. #22 Clemson on March 26 … Had a goal and an assist vs. #17 Clemson in the ACC Quarterfinals on April 26.

FRESHMAN (2022) – Redshirted the 2022 season.
Also says she is from Ithaca and her brother goes to college a drive away in PA. Possibly just wanted to be closer to home!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, Cuse v Army, Maryland, Duke, Stony Brook, North Carolina, Albany, Loyola, Louisville, all in the Dome.
That's a nice smorgasbord of wlax, it's good to be in the Cuse during that stretch. Nearing the beginning, am
exited to see it all.
Oh, and GO CUSE!!!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:07 pm Where do people rank Cuse in the ACC this year? #3 behind BC and UNC? Are they better than ND?
I do think ND got better as the season went on last year. They still have Choma and Ahern if they can find consistency they will be #3 in the ACC. Syracuse will start slow IMO as they adjust to playing without their key pieces from last year
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Syracuse may have the best draw team in the country with Mashewske back, Adamson would probably be the primary on most teams. This team was my favorite offense to watch last year because of their passing, I'm thinking KT will put together another offensive machine.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:59 pm
Lax101 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:07 pm Where do people rank Cuse in the ACC this year? #3 behind BC and UNC? Are they better than ND?
I do think ND got better as the season went on last year. They still have Choma and Ahern if they can find consistency they will be #3 in the ACC. Syracuse will start slow IMO as they adjust to playing without their key pieces from last year
Jackie Wolack is the straw that stirs the drink for notre dame. When she is shut off, notre dames offense struggles to generate offense, which is exactly what happened to them in the second half of the acc tourney game against uva (which they won given their huge first half lead) and in the final of the acc tourney against BC, and in the ncaa tournament against bc. In each of those games their offense sputtered. Choma and ahern get more press, but Wolacks ability to break down defenses one on one was the key to their success last year. Neither of choma or ahern were able to beat their defenders consistently against bc or uva last year. They are both strong players to be sure….but Wolack is the best of the three…
Bringing in Arden Tierney should help a lot. She is great on the draw and is an elite dodger/feeder. I think with the players on this years roster, ND could finish second in the ACC….
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I'm picking BC 1st. Syracuse and NC will fight for the # 2 spot. The Catholics will finish 4th.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxdadpat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:17 am Syracuse may have the best draw team in the country with Mashewske back, Adamson would probably be the primary on most teams. This team was my favorite offense to watch last year because of their passing, I'm thinking KT will put together another offensive machine.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Adamson take the number one role there. She put on quite an exhibition v JMU last year. Things weren't going so well at the draw in that one 'til Olivia stepped in there, she had 9 DC wins (as well as 4 goals) and pretty much
dominated. This was a big game too, 2nd round NCAA Tourney game. Was sitting in front of Olivia's mom, was pretty easy to lay some high praise on her daughter for her. She's a playah, a good one.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:51 am
laxdadpat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:17 am Syracuse may have the best draw team in the country with Mashewske back, Adamson would probably be the primary on most teams. This team was my favorite offense to watch last year because of their passing, I'm thinking KT will put together another offensive machine.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Adamson take the number one role there. She put on quite an exhibition v JMU last year. Things weren't going so well at the draw in that one 'til Olivia stepped in there, she had 9 DC wins (as well as 4 goals) and pretty much
dominated. This was a big game too, 2nd round NCAA Tourney game. Was sitting in front of Olivia's mom, was pretty easy to lay some high praise on her daughter for her. She's a playah, a good one.
No shot Adamson takes #1 role...and she doesn't want to...she will fill in role of Carney stepping away at attack and spell Mashewske as needed (or another player who is grooming for draw work).
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Confirmed that Vogelman is indeed injured - ACL. Only over a dozen ACLs in 3 years, what are they doing up there for training? Other notes, defense is brutal, Goodale and Chevarie returning helps but no real on ball defenders except for new freshman Benoit. Rest are traffic cones when getting dodged (hence they have to play ZONE). Sweitzer needs to have another big year but I think the ACC beats this group up this year.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:56 pm Confirmed that Vogelman is indeed injured - ACL. Only over a dozen ACLs in 3 years, what are they doing up there for training? Other notes, defense is brutal, Goodale and Chevarie returning helps but no real on ball defenders except for new freshman Benoit. Rest are traffic cones when getting dodged (hence they have to play ZONE). Sweitzer needs to have another big year but I think the ACC beats this group up this year.
For the ACL tears, I always think about workload and recovery first. How much are they doing and how much sleep/rest/recovery is the player getting. Good research out there shows those with ACL injuries usually get less than 8 hours of sleep per night.

There are more factors, but just a few that initially came to mind.

I just can’t see Syracuse pulling off a great season this year without someone really coming out of the woodwork.
DMac

Post by DMac »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:56 pm Confirmed that Vogelman is indeed injured - ACL. Only over a dozen ACLs in 3 years, what are they doing up there for training? Other notes, defense is brutal, Goodale and Chevarie returning helps but no real on ball defenders except for new freshman Benoit. Rest are traffic cones when getting dodged (hence they have to play ZONE). Sweitzer needs to have another big year but I think the ACC beats this group up this year.
Traffic cones? Could you possibly be any more disrespectful?
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

Traffic cones? is this a joke? lets not forget Superia Clark is back with a season under her belt the defense was a strength last year granted Sweitzer bailed them out on multiple occassions but she is back as well. 7 out of 10 of their top scorers are back is replacing Tyrrell Carney and Cockerille is going to be a challenge for sure. With that said name a more complete player then Emma Ward? Scane and Coykendall are the only 2 id put on par with her. They have tremendous speed in the midfield with Smith Baxter and Markey granted Markey is coming off a knee injury but I think Baxter and Smith are incredibly underrated. Adamson and Kate Mashewske give them great depth on the DC and allows Adamson to focus more on offense oh yeah and lets not forget Emma Tyrrell who was 3rd in points on the team last year 5th year midfielder Savanah Sweitzer back. Very high on Freshman Ashlee Volpe and Joely Carmelli and would expect contributions from Soph Gracie Britton. Then lets sprinkle in some unknowns with the transfers who came in and Im feeling just fine about Syracuse this year
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

SU-LAXAHOLIC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:54 pm Traffic cones? is this a joke? lets not forget Superia Clark is back with a season under her belt the defense was a strength last year granted Sweitzer bailed them out on multiple occassions but she is back as well. 7 out of 10 of their top scorers are back is replacing Tyrrell Carney and Cockerille is going to be a challenge for sure. With that said name a more complete player then Emma Ward? Scane and Coykendall are the only 2 id put on par with her. They have tremendous speed in the midfield with Smith Baxter and Markey granted Markey is coming off a knee injury but I think Baxter and Smith are incredibly underrated. Adamson and Kate Mashewske give them great depth on the DC and allows Adamson to focus more on offense oh yeah and lets not forget Emma Tyrrell who was 3rd in points on the team last year 5th year midfielder Savanah Sweitzer back. Very high on Freshman Ashlee Volpe and Joely Carmelli and would expect contributions from Soph Gracie Britton. Then lets sprinkle in some unknowns with the transfers who came in and Im feeling just fine about Syracuse this year
Vandiver is back with a year of playing every game her freshman year as well, right?
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

Yes Coco is back as is Chloe Jones and Julia Basciano who took some runs on defense but heard is playing more on the offensive side this fall
OuttaNowhereWregget

SU-LAXAHOLIC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:54 pm Traffic cones? is this a joke? lets not forget Superia Clark is back with a season under her belt the defense was a strength last year granted Sweitzer bailed them out on multiple occassions but she is back as well. 7 out of 10 of their top scorers are back is replacing Tyrrell Carney and Cockerille is going to be a challenge for sure. With that said name a more complete player then Emma Ward? Scane and Coykendall are the only 2 id put on par with her. They have tremendous speed in the midfield with Smith Baxter and Markey granted Markey is coming off a knee injury but I think Baxter and Smith are incredibly underrated. Adamson and Kate Mashewske give them great depth on the DC and allows Adamson to focus more on offense oh yeah and lets not forget Emma Tyrrell who was 3rd in points on the team last year 5th year midfielder Savanah Sweitzer back. Very high on Freshman Ashlee Volpe and Joely Carmelli and would expect contributions from Soph Gracie Britton. Then lets sprinkle in some unknowns with the transfers who came in and Im feeling just fine about Syracuse this year
Welcome to the Snakepit, SU-LAXAHOLIC. You sound like you know your stuff. I see you just jined up today. I wouldn't be surprised if you are employed by the team with your extensive knowledge of Orange personnel.

You pose a great question here: "...name a more complete player then Emma Ward? Scane and Coykendall are the only 2 id put on par with her."

Are you restricting the question to attackers only--or midfielders, as well?

(This place isn't so bad actually, but it can get venomous on occasion.)
SU-LAXAHOLIC

Post by SU-LAXAHOLIC »

I’m just a fan no team affiliation thanks for the welcome I guess I was comparing complete offensive players I should
of been more specific I’m always open for discussion of any type of player
OuttaNowhereWregget

SU-LAXAHOLIC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:05 pm I’m just a fan no team affiliation thanks for the welcome I guess I was comparing complete offensive players I should
I would say you are an Orange super fan based on your knowledge of the team. As to the question you posed--no one comes to mind off the top of my head. She is a very talented player. She seems to have built-in radar when it comes to passing to her teammates. And she's got a masters touch for goal scoring.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:42 pm
SU-LAXAHOLIC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:05 pm I’m just a fan no team affiliation thanks for the welcome I guess I was comparing complete offensive players I should
I would say you are an Orange super fan based on your knowledge of the team. As to the question you posed--no one comes to mind off the top of my head. She is a very talented player. She seems to have built-in radar when it comes to passing to her teammates. And she's got a masters touch for goal scoring.
Ummmm. No. Emma ward is not the 3rd best player in college lacrosse. She’s excellent. But not the third best. I’m not going point out her flaws because anyone who has watched a lot of her in action has seen her great strengths…and her obvious weaknesses.

Love the cuse pride…and I love her vision. But there are better goal scorers, better feeders, better riders and a whole group of players who also play midfield and defense!!

I hope she has a great year. But she isn’t finishing 3rd in tewy voting this year….
DMac

Post by DMac »

.....and there's not a coach in the country who wouldn't want her on their team. Three seconds into watching her in her freshman year and you knew this was a talented player who was going to be a difficult force to deal with, and she is. This never ending comparison of players, who is best, who is better, and blah, blah, blah, from the armchair critics is tiresome. Enjoy the beauty of the game and the level these talented players play it at. Season's right around the corner.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:54 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:42 pm
Ummmm. No. Emma ward is not the 3rd best player in college lacrosse. She’s excellent. But not the third best. I’m not going point out her flaws because anyone who has watched a lot of her in action has seen her great strengths…and her obvious weaknesses.

Love the cuse pride…and I love her vision. But there are better goal scorers, better feeders, better riders and a whole group of players who also play midfield and defense!!

I hope she has a great year. But she isn’t finishing 3rd in tewy voting this year….
I agree with most of what you wrote, WLF.

My response to what SU-LAXAHOLIC said was based on their definition. A purely offensive player. I thought of Isabella Peterson but she doesn't pass as well as Ward. I thought of Belle Smith but she's a midfielder who also plays defense. If you just look at Emma Ward's work inside the 30, I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with someone better than her within that strict definition. Her goal scoring, assist-dishing and dodging capabilities – not to mention her lethal shot – are pretty hard to find an equal for, unless, as SU said, you're talking about Izzy Scane or Erin Coykendall.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”