Washington College 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
notjeffshirk

Re: Washington College 2024

Post by notjeffshirk »

NJS here

Big week on the shore - Was in the gym and saw this crew lifting and wow... they are diced.

Really excited about Grant Matthews #9 (Lynchburg Transfer) I saw him bench-pressing what seemed like 5,000 lbs Wondering if that translates onto the field.

All in all really fired up about this crew. Big things ahead.
kirbysmart14

Post by kirbysmart14 »

Agreed, NJS.

This group looks to be poised for a stellar 2024 campaign.

Eastern will be a great game. I hear they are returning a good amount of grad students.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

kirbysmart14 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:28 pm Agreed, NJS.

This group looks to be poised for a stellar 2024 campaign.

Eastern will be a great game. I hear they are returning a good amount of grad students.
They will certainly be tested with 5 opponents on IL's top 20. Can certainly be 6 or 7 once the season starts. These OOC games will very important to establish confidence in a young team heading into the CC gauntlet.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Love that Matthews kid. Hoping he is in shape, strong, and ready to rip! Go WC!
notjeffshirk

Post by notjeffshirk »

Slim wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:11 pm Love that Matthews kid. Hoping he is in shape, strong, and ready to rip! Go WC!
Agreed Slim,

Something about that Matthews kid. Guy just gets it done.

Separately, hope the coaches are gonna hit the alligator closest to the canoe on wing-play. Need our man Tom Merritt to be getting a lot of burn. God I love that kid's hustle.
kirbysmart14

Post by kirbysmart14 »

February 1st is on the horizon :mrgreen:

February Schedule will prove pivotal for the Shoremen

2/10 vs Stevenson and Harford CC
2/17 vs Eastern
2/24 @ Washington and Lee
2/28 @ Etown

This next month will be very telltale for the Shoremen success in April and May
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

In an NCAA tournament game in 2003, I was being guarded by Eric Martin. Chatty guy, and frankly I enjoyed it. We had a lot of time to talk while losing 13-1. As we were playing, obviously in Gull-land, the PA annoucer was letting the crowd know the WAC v HSC score. HSC went up and closed it out. Collectively the Gull bench exploded. Not because of anything happening in the game they were dominating against us, but the fact that WAC was down. Martin then screamed "(redacted word starting with an f) WAC!!!" I didn't really get the rivalry until that moment.

I'm from SE PA and witnessed Notty's incredible work at The Haverford School. While I personally didn't enjoy the personalities on the WAC rosters I played against, I would love to see you all take another step forward this season. I think it's a only matter of time until you see your Shoremen competing for conference championships and beyond.
kirbysmart14

Post by kirbysmart14 »

Thanks MVPicolli,

Nostrant has clearly been recruiting well, stocking up on recruits, and helping shift the culture.

Us alumni in the Chestertown area are excited to see the growth of the team over these past few years. With the Centennial Conference being close year after year it only takes a few lucky GBs, a lucky check, an end-line run out to change a game and a season.

Wishing the best to your Cabrini as well. Those boys will be playing for their school, but more importantly each other. It will be truly a season they will never forget.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

I don't want to be a WAC hater, but I really don't see the success Nostant has had in the last 2 seasons. He hasn't really recruited well, his team surrounded Temple these past few years, and Nostrant didn't recruit him. What did he do? Give him a little sugar to take a fifth year? Yes, they had a close game this past season, but sit in a zone and you're gonna have that. I hate to say it, but this isn't the WAC of the past any more, this team is not what you all are saying. Huge rebuilding years on the way.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

kirbysmart14 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:30 pm Thanks MVPicolli,

Nostrant has clearly been recruiting well, stocking up on recruits, and helping shift the culture.

Us alumni in the Chestertown area are excited to see the growth of the team over these past few years. With the Centennial Conference being close year after year it only takes a few lucky GBs, a lucky check, an end-line run out to change a game and a season.

Wishing the best to your Cabrini as well. Those boys will be playing for their school, but more importantly each other. It will be truly a season they will never forget.
Much appreciated!
laxgeek37

Post by laxgeek37 »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:01 am I don't want to be a WAC hater, but I really don't see the success Nostant has had in the last 2 seasons. He hasn't really recruited well, his team surrounded Temple these past few years, and Nostrant didn't recruit him. What did he do? Give him a little sugar to take a fifth year? Yes, they had a close game this past season, but sit in a zone and you're gonna have that. I hate to say it, but this isn't the WAC of the past any more, this team is not what you all are saying. Huge rebuilding years on the way.
You’re not wrong but the school isn’t what it used to be either. From what I’m hearing it’s hard to get guys to stay/commit. Similar issue shirk had in his later years. There’s been individual talent on the past few years roster and still is. Nostrant working hard to fix it
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxgeek37 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:20 am
GoTerriers8 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:01 am I don't want to be a WAC hater, but I really don't see the success Nostant has had in the last 2 seasons. He hasn't really recruited well, his team surrounded Temple these past few years, and Nostrant didn't recruit him. What did he do? Give him a little sugar to take a fifth year? Yes, they had a close game this past season, but sit in a zone and you're gonna have that. I hate to say it, but this isn't the WAC of the past any more, this team is not what you all are saying. Huge rebuilding years on the way.
You’re not wrong but the school isn’t what it used to be either. From what I’m hearing it’s hard to get guys to stay/commit. Similar issue shirk had in his later years. There’s been individual talent on the past few years roster and still is. Nostrant working hard to fix it
Go Terriers, you are stating a lot of the obvious. WC lax needed almost an entire culture reconstruction when Nostrant was hired. Not one team had any sort of winning culture after 2014. Combine that with the decline of the school and their care for athletics (heard there was not one sign, banner, or any sort of acknowledgement on campus about soccer reaching the FF), and it led to seasons like 2020 & 2021. The talent was there between 2015-2021, but not one of those teams were able to figure out how to win. Division 3 is tough, almost no guaranteed wins because every team is good, or at least talented enough to win when their opponent has a slight off day. A couple bad loses each year snowballed a downward spiral when conference play started. But the talent was definitely there.

Nostrant is definitely the guy, but he walked into no easy task especially with how small schools like WC have been preforming since covid. He is well-connected in the lacrosse world and comes from programs with a winning culture, we all believe he will righten the ship! It will not be overnight. This team this year is young and inexperienced, but it will be a good year for them to compete. I like the out of conference slate a lot, hopefully they get a nice taste of winning before conference play and carry that momentum into the CC and surprise a few teams. We know things will get right in C-Town!
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

Nostrants recruits are currently Freshman/Sophomores. This years freshman class is the first group where he had a full cycle to recruit. So I wouldn't really expect to see his impact on recruiting for another year or two as those guys become upperclassmen. I wouldn't be surprised if alot of those young guys get meaningful minutes this season though. All together I would agree that they are still currently in their rebuilding stage.
FellowGoose

Post by FellowGoose »

Goose has entered the thread.

As a recent alum I take great pride in my time at WC. Everyday my brethren and I questioned what we were even doing in that fairy tale eastern shore town, but I would't trade it for the world.

As many of you have suggested what has gone on in the last decade in Chestertown is far more complex and much outside the boundaries of simply just the lacrosse program. As those who have played there, Ctown is not for everyone -> cant keep and develop kids for 4 years. The school and athletic dpt relationship is comedically poor considering the only reason WC is "on the map" is because of athletics. That is a whole issue that is far too deep to go into but by all means has unequivocal influence on the underachieving of the program.

The biggest question every WC supporter should not be do they have the right guys, it's do they care enough to finally turn the tide in the favor of the program. Last years team showed the signs of beginning to turn the corner, but losing 7 straight shows work is still needed.

If this team thinks they can just roll the balls out vs Eastern week 1 and come out with a win, they are gravely mistaken.

Fellow Goose....
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

FellowGoose wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:02 pm Goose has entered the thread.

As a recent alum I take great pride in my time at WC. Everyday my brethren and I questioned what we were even doing in that fairy tale eastern shore town, but I would't trade it for the world.

As many of you have suggested what has gone on in the last decade in Chestertown is far more complex and much outside the boundaries of simply just the lacrosse program. As those who have played there, Ctown is not for everyone -> cant keep and develop kids for 4 years. The school and athletic dpt relationship is comedically poor considering the only reason WC is "on the map" is because of athletics. That is a whole issue that is far too deep to go into but by all means has unequivocal influence on the underachieving of the program.

The biggest question every WC supporter should not be do they have the right guys, it's do they care enough to finally turn the tide in the favor of the program. Last years team showed the signs of beginning to turn the corner, but losing 7 straight shows work is still needed.

If this team thinks they can just roll the balls out vs Eastern week 1 and come out with a win, they are gravely mistaken.

Fellow Goose....
We had a president at my college, during my time, that created a very contentious relationship with the athletics department. Real power struggle. It was fascinating to me, with 1/3 of the 2,000 undergrad student body participating in athletics, why the admin wouldn't want to embrace and enhance that aspect of the brand/education. Always struck me as short sited. These kids are representing your school and brand in a positive outward way. Choosing to invest themselves for hundreds of hours outside the classroom. Coaches actively working to bring in more students. Just weird.
BTM2

Post by BTM2 »

The president was stuffed in a locker by the football team in high school that is why
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:18 am

Fellow Goose....
We had a president at my college, during my time, that created a very contentious relationship with the athletics department. Real power struggle. It was fascinating to me, with 1/3 of the 2,000 undergrad student body participating in athletics, why the admin wouldn't want to embrace and enhance that aspect of the brand/education. Always struck me as short sited. These kids are representing your school and brand in a positive outward way. Choosing to invest themselves for hundreds of hours outside the classroom. Coaches actively working to bring in more students. Just weird.
It's crazy, but I guess that is the way of the world these days. Lacrosse is the only reason I knew WC existed. I played a youth game on the Kib every year with my middle school team. Watching those teams compete in practice before our games blew me away. It's shocking how little the school and admin care these days.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:18 am

Fellow Goose....
It's crazy, but I guess that is the way of the world these days. Lacrosse is the only reason I knew WC existed. I played a youth game on the Kib every year with my middle school team. Watching those teams compete in practice before our games blew me away. It's shocking how little the school and admin care these days.
notjeffshirk

Post by notjeffshirk »

NJS entering,

Unrelated, but hearing the guys are buzzing their hair.

Do we have any boots on the ground who can confirm? - Think there is even a player with a mohawk?

Seems like Nody is bringing some old team building tricks from Haverford.

WAC is back

- NJS
Shoregouzer58

Post by Shoregouzer58 »

ShoreGouzer58 here,
Not shocked to hear about the buzzing of hair, from what I remember I think I noticed that last year.

In response to the previous few posts, it seems like the school has started to cater to non-athletes hence the Hodson Trust scholarship package being offered, and minimal attention being given to athletics. But quite frankly, the administration doesn't seem to realize that there have been fewer and fewer reasons to attend WAC since COVID. The Washington College of Old (pre-COVID maybe even) was a phenomenal experience and a ton of fun. Yet year after year we stray further from where we need to be. Sosulski needs to seriously consider the marketing of the school and figure out how to increase the student body size or else the future will get bleaker. As my man, FellowGoose, stated, Ctown isn't for everyone. Yet it can be a ton of fun, and I hope the administration can facilitate that in some way in the future. Nostrant is doing the best he can, no doubt about it.

Go Shoremen

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”