Florida State

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Florida State

Post by LaxDadMax »

WLaxdad wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:51 am

Is it really the case NE that players want to go play in Florida? I mean North Carolina sure but Florida? Most of the college kids I've known seem to want to go about a state away from home, far enough to be left alone by parents but close enough when they need something :)
They don't call them the Long Island Yellow Gators for nothing.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:33 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:16 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:23 pm Should we honestly expect coaches to show loyalty to their universities when we know full well the university isn’t loyal to them. Bottom line: these are employers and employees.
Maybe that perspective of employers and employees makes sense for those working in the private sector or more of a corporate environment. However, for people working at educational institutions, the loyalty people feel and expect isn't necessarily towards the institution/administration but to the students. If you talk to people who work with students and who leave or consider leaving, they don't feel bad about leaving the institution. They feel bad about leaving the students. That's where the outrage would come into play.
Where is the loyalty to the students when Stanford joins the ACC? Making the kids fly all over the country for games in the middle of the week regularly. Where is the loyalty to the students when administrations put students at risk by assigning few or no athletic trainers for conditioning and strength sessions for non revenue sports, jeopardizing the safety of those students? Where is the loyalty when kids are arriving home on busses at 3:30 am instead of staying the extra night and respecting their mental and physical health? I am sure you see the point I am making. Universities show loyalty to their students and staff when it makes sense financially. And they should expect that in return until or unless that changes. Do the students often get caught in the middle? Absolutely. But a coach leaving in November is at least number 73,619 on the list of things folks should be outraged about in the world of college athletics.
What’s number 73,423? I don’t want to get them out of order…….
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:50 pm My sleeper candidates would be O'Leary and Halfpenny. Both have had success in the past
May I ask--would you please define success as it applies to the aforementioned?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Bart wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:38 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:33 pm a coach leaving in November is at least number 73,619 on the list of things folks should be outraged about in the world of college athletics.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:23 pm Should we honestly expect coaches to show loyalty to their universities when we know full well the university isn’t loyal to them. Bottom line: these are employers and employees.
Maybe that perspective of employers and employees makes sense for those working in the private sector or more of a corporate environment. However, for people working at educational institutions, the loyalty people feel and expect isn't necessarily towards the institution/administration but to the students. If you talk to people who work with students and who leave or consider leaving, they don't feel bad about leaving the institution. They feel bad about leaving the students. That's where the outrage would come into play.
Where is the loyalty to the students when Stanford joins the ACC? Making the kids fly all over the country for games in the middle of the week regularly. Where is the loyalty to the students when administrations put students at risk by assigning few or no athletic trainers for conditioning and strength sessions for non revenue sports, jeopardizing the safety of those students? Where is the loyalty when kids are arriving home on busses at 3:30 am instead of staying the extra night and respecting their mental and physical health? I am sure you see the point I am making. Universities show loyalty to their students and staff when it makes sense financially. And they should expect that in return until or unless that changes. Do the students often get caught in the middle? Absolutely. But a coach leaving in November is at least number 73,619 on the list of things folks should be outraged about in the world of college athletics.
I love you too, Bart!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Also, Oregon’s uniform combinations is number 73,423. Nick Sabans press conference behavior is 73,422.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:18 pm
Also, Oregon’s uniform combinations is number 73,423. Nick Sabans press conference behavior is 73,422.
Crap……I had Saban at 59,243. I guess I gotta start over again 🙂
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:38 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:50 pm My sleeper candidates would be O'Leary and Halfpenny. Both have had success in the past
Consistently ranked in top 15, usually top 10 and almost always making the tourney.

I'm sure if the first 10 years at FSU would be like the last 10 at either ND or UF, FSU would gladly take those results.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:03 pm
Consistently ranked in top 15, usually top 10 and almost always making the tourney.

I'm sure if the first 10 years at FSU would be like the last 10 at either ND or UF, FSU would gladly take those results.
Probably be good with half ND and UF results.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:01 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:03 pm

Probably be good with half ND and UF results.
Yup. Other than women's soccer and softball, where they are in the middle of the best recruits in the country, FSU generally isn't anywhere near the top of the ACC in other women's sports. I doubt the expectations here are very high.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

You have to think of women's lax in tiers. On any given year, the absolute best UNC,BC, NW teams will be better than everyone. and by a sizeable margin. I don't see that gap closing anytime soon. Extremely difficult to break into that club. so no FSU won't be winning a championship anytime soon.

But they have a great chance of breaking into the tier below that. FSU may not be the best academic school but im terms of offering the quintessential college experience, it's right up there. It's an attractive destination for hopeful college students. We've seen what Clemson has done. FSU is a more attractive Clemson.

Also..the gators. They may not fall off the face of the earth. But they'll be a bordeline top 25 team. We're already seeing their decline on the field and their recruiting magic has fizzled out. All those issues will be exacerbated with FSU around and i don't see how Florida can withstand that.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:59 pm You have to think of women's lax in tiers. On any given year, the absolute best UNC,BC, NW teams will be better than everyone. and by a sizeable margin. I don't see that gap closing anytime soon. Extremely difficult to break into that club. so no FSU won't be winning a championship anytime soon.

But they have a great chance of breaking into the tier below that. FSU may not be the best academic school but im terms of offering the quintessential college experience, it's right up there. It's an attractive destination for hopeful college students. We've seen what Clemson has done. FSU is a more attractive Clemson.

Also..the gators. They may not fall off the face of the earth. But they'll be a bordeline top 25 team. We're already seeing their decline on the field and their recruiting magic has fizzled out. All those issues will be exacerbated with FSU around and i don't see how Florida can withstand that.
+1
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:59 pm You have to think of women's lax in tiers. On any given year, the absolute best UNC,BC, NW teams will be better than everyone. and by a sizeable margin. I don't see that gap closing anytime soon. Extremely difficult to break into that club. so no FSU won't be winning a championship anytime soon.

I think it depends on who FSU gets as a coach. If they get a great charismatic recruiter, then likely. If not, I don’t know.

As a college town, Tallahassee is not close to Gainesville or Clemson
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Halfpenny doesn't seem to do well developing her talent. She is happy to poach players to stop an opponent from developing them, though. So there's that I guess.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

MolonLaxe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:53 pm
Halfpenny doesn't seem to do well developing her talent. She is happy to poach players to stop an opponent from developing them, though. So there's that I guess.
Do tell...
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:35 am

I think it depends on who FSU gets as a coach. If they get a great charismatic recruiter, then likely. If not, I don’t know.

As a college town, Tallahassee is not close to Gainesville or Clemson
One of my first calls would be Michele Tumolo. She has experience coaching and recruiting with her time at Florida. She would be a great coach for them.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:52 pm
i fo sho don't understand a club team's members making a push for varsity status, putting them largely out of a vocation, but que sera.
Virtually all of the D1 programs with a varsity team also still field a club program. Enough kids playing lax these days for both.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:00 am
i fo sho don't understand a club team's members making a push for varsity status, putting them largely out of a vocation, but que sera.
Virtually all of the D1 programs with a varsity team also still field a club program. Enough kids playing lax these days for both.
the younger club kids are likely hoping to fill out the bench for FSU for the first couple years.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:35 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:00 am
the younger club kids are likely hoping to fill out the bench for FSU for the first couple years.
I won’t say it can’t happen, but it is not likely any FSU club players will be invited to join the team. Hopefully this was not their thought when making the push to add D1 wlax at FSU.

The new coach, if hired soon, will probably try to get a few late 2025 recruits or get some 2025s who may flip. The coach will have the full 2026 recruiting cycle and will probably take about 15 players in that class. The coach will more likely fill the rest of the team from the transfer portal. And have slightly larger recruiting classes for several years.

With the timeline they have given themselves they will have to adopt a model more like Clemson. Get transfers. Remember, USF was originally slated to start play in Spring 2024 and pumped the breaks to build more from the ground up. Maybe FSU does the same and delays for another year. Will be interesting to see what happens with the program. And interesting to see what happens to ACC wlax if the football pieces start to unravel.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Don't know how much FSU will invest in the program. Sounds like they were dragged kicking and screaming into funding the Wlax programs since they were out of compliance with Title IX.

Wonder what would of happened if legal action was taken. Maybe, god forbid, funding to the football team would have been cut. :lol:
It is a state school.

"In July, Villalonga, who is in her second year of graduate school, sent an email to FSU administrators formally petitioning to add women’s lacrosse as a varsity sport. When the school responded and said FSU was “not actively evaluating the addition of any sports programs to our current collection of teams,” Bryant and the team sent a letter threatening legal action. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 048755007/

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”