Dartmouth 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Dartmouth 2024

Post by wgdsr »

might be one kirwan is interested in, and his stock has never been higher. not a lot of positions that he could think he'd have more than a puncher's chance at in the lax p2 and some degree of success as a head would be a prereq maybe at those.

dartmouth getting their feet underneath them post-covid and even an ivy win makes this seem as odd timing to this outsider. like there was a mismatch somewhere. coaches might like the trajectory and the roster but would have questions.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:26 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:05 pm Doing a little research, two names pop up. Lenoir Rhyne’s head coach just won the D2 natty and his son plays at Dartmouth. Mercer head coach is an alum and they seemed to have made some strides as a program this year. He has only been there less than a year but could be an interesting hire.
Coach Paradine is an interesting option. Strong ties to UNC program (First Team AA in 1993, won national championship in 1991, 7 years an assistant coach). One would think that he would be among the top candidates if the UNC job opened up.

He built the Lenoir Rhyne program from scratch according to his online bio. Has done pretty much everything one can do in Division II lacrosse, including multiple coach of the year awards.

His resume only lacks a Division I HC stint. Plus his son has three more seasons at Dartmouth, as mentioned above.

Probably an excellent candidate, although he will probably “dart” for North Carolina as soon as that position opens up.

DocBarrister
Maybe he turns Dartmouth around and is ready when Breschi’s newly extended contract runs out.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:31 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:26 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:05 pm Doing a little research, two names pop up. Lenoir Rhyne’s head coach just won the D2 natty and his son plays at Dartmouth. Mercer head coach is an alum and they seemed to have made some strides as a program this year. He has only been there less than a year but could be an interesting hire.
Coach Paradine is an interesting option. Strong ties to UNC program (First Team AA in 1993, won national championship in 1991, 7 years an assistant coach). One would think that he would be among the top candidates if the UNC job opened up.

He built the Lenoir Rhyne program from scratch according to his online bio. Has done pretty much everything one can do in Division II lacrosse, including multiple coach of the year awards.

His resume only lacks a Division I HC stint. Plus his son has three more seasons at Dartmouth, as mentioned above.

Probably an excellent candidate, although he will probably “dart” for North Carolina as soon as that position opens up.

DocBarrister
Maybe he turns Dartmouth around and is ready when Breschi’s newly extended contract runs out.
That was my thinking … coach his son for three seasons, turning the Dartmouth program around, and then head for UNC.

If Breschi achieves success in the next few years, Coach Paradine might stick around Dartmouth for a while.

I think it’s worth a gamble by Dartmouth. Paradine’s players have even won some academic awards.

He’s not a young coach, but few have a better record of success as both a coach and player.

https://lrbears.com/sports/mens-lacross ... radine/758

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

nelaxman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:50 am Jon Thompson would be a great hire for Dartmouth. He was IVY player and knows how to recruit high end academic kids and land them. He did a great job at Amherst and was about to control the NESCAC for years to come before their President went bonkers. He would be unbelievable hire!
No disrespect to Jon Thompson, but going the D3 route would be a mistake Dartmouth is likely to avoid. Since Mike Pressler left D3 OWU to take the Duke job, there have been very few D1 head coaches plucked from D3 HC positions. Prior to Lars, Brown hired a guy from Nazareth who was a complete disaster. More recently, Brown hired Mike Daly after he did an amazingly good job at Tufts (turned a nothing program into repeat national champions); after a good 2022, Brown failed to make the Ivy tourney in 2023.

Dartmouth is not the best HC job in D1, but I'd say being Head Coach at any Ivy is pretty darn attractive for most potential candidates.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:27 pm might be one kirwan is interested in, and his stock has never been higher. not a lot of positions that he could think he'd have more than a puncher's chance at in the lax p2 and some degree of success as a head would be a prereq maybe at those.

dartmouth getting their feet underneath them post-covid and even an ivy win makes this seem as odd timing to this outsider. like there was a mismatch somewhere. coaches might like the trajectory and the roster but would have questions.
I would think it probably boils down to a new AD coming in — Callahan wasn’t “his guy.” Moreover, some of the the issues which led to the last coaching change (getting control of program culture, improving rep on campus with faculty etc.) were resolved (to Callahan’s credit) so that the focus going forward became more about the 25% winning percentage over his 7 years.

But who knows, I don’t have any inside knowledge on this one.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:23 am
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:52 am There wasn’t a lot of interest when this job opened up 9 years ago. What has changed since then that would allow them to land a bigger name?
Who’s a big name? What’s more important is finding a good coach.
I didn’t say choose a big name over a good coach, did I? Usually good coaches have good track records, get good publicity, and therefore are bigger names than more obscure hires. For example, Wellner is a bigger name than Callahan, also one would argue he’s a better coach. Other bigger name coaches I’d be going after would be Kirwan, Mitchell, and Bernhardt.
Not sure those are “big names”….I know two of them personally, BTW. All three would be good candidates. What about Jon Thompson?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Friendly bet on it not being the Mercer HC. Just would be absurd to roll Callahan into that intentionally.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:37 pm
nelaxman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:50 am Jon Thompson would be a great hire for Dartmouth. He was IVY player and knows how to recruit high end academic kids and land them. He did a great job at Amherst and was about to control the NESCAC for years to come before their President went bonkers. He would be unbelievable hire!
No disrespect to Jon Thompson, but going the D3 route would be a mistake Dartmouth is likely to avoid. Since Mike Pressler left D3 OWU to take the Duke job, there have been very few D1 head coaches plucked from D3 HC positions. Prior to Lars, Brown hired a guy from Nazareth who was a complete disaster. More recently, Brown hired Mike Daly after he did an amazingly good job at Tufts (turned a nothing program into repeat national champions); after a good 2022, Brown failed to make the Ivy tourney in 2023.

Dartmouth is not the best HC job in D1, but I'd say being Head Coach at any Ivy is pretty darn attractive for most potential candidates.
Missed these. See below..(now above)
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brundage and Hirsch have to be considered but again I can’t imagine they don’t have a palm after having their beat season in a decade.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:39 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:52 am There wasn’t a lot of interest when this job opened up 9 years ago. What has changed since then that would allow them to land a bigger name?
I didn’t say choose a big name over a good coach, did I? Usually good coaches have good track records, get good publicity, and therefore are bigger names than more obscure hires. For example, Wellner is a bigger name than Callahan, also one would argue he’s a better coach. Other bigger name coaches I’d be going after would be Kirwan, Mitchell, and Bernhardt.
Not sure those are “big names”….I know two of them personally, BTW. All three would be good candidates. What about Jon Thompson?
I didn’t say big names, I said bigger names, as in a bigger name than Callahan was when he got hired. Callahan had 7 years of coaching experience, all at Lehigh. Two NCAA tournament appearances, no wins. The four guys I mentioned are bigger more accomplished names than that.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

BigTom5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:39 pm
I didn’t say big names, I said bigger names, as in a bigger name than Callahan was when he got hired. Callahan had 7 years of coaching experience, all at Lehigh. Two NCAA tournament appearances, no wins. The four guys I mentioned are bigger more accomplished names than that.
I think with the success of Connor Buczek at Cornell (right in the league) there might be a lot of interest from Dartmouth in hiring a young coordinator (look at the NFL — plenty of interest in younger HCs). Any on your list would be intriguing, BigTom.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:09 pm Question for the astute lacrosse coaching tactics observers amongst us: I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the "in game coaching" of Coach Callahan. I am not trying to stir a pot or kick someone after being let go. I am truly interested. The way some games "felt" to me was that in many instances, from the opening whistle to the end of game, it "seemed" like opposing coaching staffs were making on the fly adjustments and gaining momentum/advantages from those adjustments - while Dartmouth "seemed" more reactionary and prone to losing traction. The progression of these opposing trajectories ended up on the scoreboard when the refs blew the final whistle. I have no idea if stats quarter by quarter bore this out, it is just what it "felt like" these past 9 years in many instances. Maybe I'm off base, and I'm certainly not going on anything but gut feel here, but Dartmouth's "during game situational coaching" is something that at least "seemed/felt" somewhat amiss to this casual observer. Any thoughts regarding this observation of mine? Anyone else think/feel this? Curious.
Well Bart habitually gave up leads all year but you guys were down 7-1 in Q2 in Geneva and won..
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:43 pm
Friendly bet on it not being the Mercer HC. Just would be absurd to roll Callahan into that intentionally.
Stranger things have happened. Alumni carry weight and he has been around the lax world. Played for Andy Towers there.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Assistants to think of: list is too long but just food for thought

Kirwan
Wellner
Georgoalis
Phipps
Ward
Mitchell
Brodersen
Hirsch
Brundage
Koesterer
Stevens
Rewkowski
Boyle
Richards
Meehan
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Could hire Cabell Maddux and get a name and drive more MIAA kids there and satisfy the Statler and Waldorfs. I don’t think admin would love the outcome however.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What you didn’t love Scott Nelson??
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:07 pm
Stranger things have happened. Alumni carry weight and he has been around the lax world. Played for Andy Towers there.
Well that’s why I put “friendly” in front of bet….
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:17 pm
LOL, I’m not taking that bet.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:16 pm

What you didn’t love Scott Nelson??
isn't he the guy that invented the transfer portal?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:20 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:17 pm
LOL, I’m not taking that bet.
Aww come on… https://youtu.be/MR1YW14fA30

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”