York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Bigdawg69

Re: York 2024

Post by Bigdawg69 »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:04 pm I’m thinking Harnick Townsend Wilhelm is a nice attack unit. Just sayin.
Absolutely. York will be better next year than they were this yr even if Mayer and Burbank leave
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:09 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:59 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:33 pm
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:20 pm One would imagine that a current top D3 rising sophomore or junior, seeing the success that so many D3 grad transfers have had at the D1 level, can't help but wonder what options might be open to them. Remember, they don't have the bonus eligibility from Covid.
D1 schools get so much talent coming in, they have a luxury of not being forced to build a talent. I could see some of these transfer kids landing at a D1 program even though they might only have two seasons remaining.
If you’re suggesting they don’t have to develop those players you’re off your rocker. It’s all relative. Yes they bring in a ton of talent, however so does every other team in their schedule.
Searching my post, and looking for “don’t have to develop”

Not seeing that.
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by “ not being forced to build a talent”.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:16 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:04 pm I’m thinking Harnick Townsend Wilhelm is a nice attack unit. Just sayin.
Absolutely. York will be better next year than they were this yr even if Mayer and Burbank leave
In 8 games vs ranked opponents Townsend and Wilhelm both finished with 2 goals and 1 assist. They were both held scoreless in 6 of 8 games vs ranked opponents. They’ve got a lot of work to do to be better than Mayer and Burbank. Those two finished with 21 and 12 points respectively against top 20 teams. The loss of Mayer will also put significantly more attention on Harnick, who really benefited from not having a number 1 defenseman all year and the latter half of 2022. He can manage a number one but it is certainly more challenging for him to not have Mayer as a running mate.

Point is I think there is a long way to go before saying they “will be better”.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 pm
In 8 games vs ranked opponents Townsend and Wilhelm both finished with 2 goals and 1 assist. They were both held scoreless in 6 of 8 games vs ranked opponents. They’ve got a lot of work to do to be better than Mayer and Burbank. Those two finished with 21 and 12 points respectively against top 20 teams. The loss of Mayer will also put significantly more attention on Harnick, who really benefited from not having a number 1 defenseman all year and the latter half of 2022. He can manage a number one but it is certainly more challenging for him to not have Mayer as a running mate.

You know better than I that Townsend didn’t start in those games and Wilhelm ran middie, so those stats are flawed at best. More truthfully, one can’t compare those players last year, because they played in different roles. Either way, they are all talented, and the same eyes that recruited Mayer and Burbank, also recruited Townsend and those that will follow him. Mayer and Burbank are gone. That chapter has closed. So if you’re just here to talk drama, you can talk to the 1 post burner accounts or the disgruntled kid that got cut who keep chiming in, but if you want to talk real and unbiased, with your knowledge, feel free.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Wilhelm will be healthy next year he was not healthy all year this year and played essentially on one leg. There are things that atownsend does better than Mayer and there are things that Mayer did better than Townsend. Mayer is going to be tough to replace Burbank will be less difficult IMO
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:55 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 pm

You know better than I that Townsend didn’t start in those games and Wilhelm ran middie, so those stats are flawed at best. More truthfully, one can’t compare those players last year, because they played in different roles. Either way, they are all talented, and the same eyes that recruited Mayer and Burbank, also recruited Townsend and those that will follow him. Mayer and Burbank are gone. That chapter has closed. So if you’re just here to talk drama, you can talk to the 1 post burner accounts or the disgruntled kid that got cut who keep chiming in, but if you want to talk real and unbiased, with your knowledge, feel free.
That is definitely a fair point. But the fact of the matter is they do not have a player of Mayers caliber just sitting on the bench. He has been the focal point of every opponent scouting report since his second game as a college player. He broke the single season scoring record as a freshman and was easily on pace to break the career points record. After one season his name already can be seen all over their record books. He was likely going to be the best offensive player in program history. Burbank will be replaced with out much difficulty.
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

StuckinD2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:21 pm Is there something going on at York? I’ve heard that they had more players enter the portal. 7+ players in the portal all in the same week seems like a lot especially for a program like York.
Must be. I did my fair share of research and conducted this.
Over the past season (fall ball included), York has lost on roster or entered these players to the transfer portal;
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 26, 29, 31, 33, 36, 38, 39, More?

There is a bigger reason. That reason NEEDS to be fixed or exposed. No program randomly undergoes this adversity with nothing going on.
lilax

Post by lilax »

TopCheddar wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:36 pm
StuckinD2 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:21 pm Is there something going on at York? I’ve heard that they had more players enter the portal. 7+ players in the portal all in the same week seems like a lot especially for a program like York.
Over the past season (fall ball included), York has lost on roster or entered these players to the transfer portal;

There is a bigger reason. That reason NEEDS to be fixed or exposed. No program randomly undergoes this adversity with nothing going on.
Looking at your research, there is a simple trend. Most of those players (not all) are from a long distance away.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I know everyone wants to keep a positive spin on things. But this can’t be ignored. 12 on this list. Plus I know of one more. So 13 leaving in one year (we kept guessing 7). I think most were fresh and sophomores. I see three key contributors on the list that will be hard to replace.
I don’t think the distance excuse is valid. Every school has kids from far away, But we don’t hear of any other school that lost 1/3 of non grads.

What kind of experience does this leave for 2024? And the bigger concern is 2025.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 am

I know everyone wants to keep a positive spin on things. But this can’t be ignored. 12 on this list. Plus I know of one more. So 13 leaving in one year (we kept guessing 7). I think most were fresh and sophomores. I see three key contributors on the list that will be hard to replace.
I don’t think the distance excuse is valid. Every school has kids from far away, But we don’t hear of any other school that lost 1/3 of non grads.

What kind of experience does this leave for 2024? And the bigger concern is 2025.
Two things come to mind. First being that York is a pretty hard sell to an 18 year old looking for the fun college experience. The city of York isn’t pretty, there isn’t much to do. Also, the Child’s effect. He knows the right things to say on visits and first impressions but apparently is not the same man during the season.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Spoken like one of the kids no longer on the roster…

;)
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Hearing 6 players using added eligibility. That plus 9 rising senoirs will leave them with plenty of experience for 2024. For 2025, there are 11 players who will be senoirs. Well off with experience there too, and thats before any added eligibility.

There are 6 currently rostered players in the portal. Counting players who didn’t even appear on the spring roster, let alone finish the season, seems a bit much. The fact that they hail from 2 classes is telling. The ever rising talent level of the recruit classes also comes with bigger egos, and sometimes bigger delusions. An individual’s character and commitment to culture are much more apparent after a loss. That’s all I’ll say on that.

Kazella saw decent time, but is replaceable. Burbank started roughly 2/3 of the games, but is also replaceable. Mayer’s size and skill will be tough to replace. Look for a more team oriented offensive approach. More ball movement, less hero ball. He was locked down vs those top poles fairly often when he tried his 1 v 1 game.

Can I get a page 3 yet?
Last edited by DeepPocket on Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:41 am Spoken like one of the kids no longer on the roster…

;)
If this is the case, that is good insight
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:01 am
RE6ULATOR wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:41 am Spoken like one of the kids no longer on the roster…

;)
If this is the case, that is good insight
Haha, Unfortunately not. And very good point Deep, maybe the fresh/soph classes came in with egos.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I can tell you for a fact that this is not being ignored by the staff, but a lot of what Deep said is true with increased recruiting you get bigger egos'.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Asgot wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:25 pm

I can tell you for a fact that this is not being ignored by the staff, but a lot of what Deep said is true with increased recruiting you get bigger egos'.
The bigger egos is similar to the distance reasoning. Neither are exclusive to york. If these classes had ego issues, we would be seeing mass transfers from many schools. I haven’t seen any other schools with more than 3 or 4 names being mentioned. 13 is something else beyond egos. I don’t know the coaches, I have no idea what is happening in the meetings or locker rooms. But something unique to York is going on this year.

I guess with this purge, there won’t be issues of having to cut players in the fall to get below 50
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm The bigger egos is similar to the distance reasoning. Neither are exclusive to york. If these classes had ego issues, we would be seeing mass transfers from many schools. I haven’t seen any other schools with more than 3 or 4 names being mentioned. 13 is something else beyond egos. I don’t know the coaches, I have no idea what is happening in the meetings or locker rooms. But something unique to York is going on this year.

I guess with this purge, there won’t be issues of having to cut players in the fall to get below 50
Bingo. I don't have portal access, but would be interesting to know how many underclassmen are in the portal from Amherst, Middlebury, Union, SLU, W&L, Williams, etc?
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:36 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm The bigger egos is similar to the distance reasoning. Neither are exclusive to york. If these classes had ego issues, we would be seeing mass transfers from many schools. I haven’t seen any other schools with more than 3 or 4 names being mentioned. 13 is something else beyond egos. I don’t know the coaches, I have no idea what is happening in the meetings or locker rooms. But something unique to York is going on this year.

Bingo. I don't have portal access, but would be interesting to know how many underclassmen are in the portal from Amherst, Middlebury, Union, SLU, W&L, Williams, etc?
Is this not obvious to anyone else? York isn't even in the same stratosphere academically as the schools listed above.... kids are at York to play lacrosse, if they don't like the program they will leave the school go play somewhere else. Kids at the schools listed above have kids that quit the team, but they are not leaving those schools because of the opportunities that come with graduating from those schools
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Yea. Very odd selection of schools to try to compare to. Frankly not even close on any metric, from cost to acceptance rate. It’s almost as if those schools were purposely picked because of their perceived “low attrition rates.” :roll:

Also, not sure where the number 13 came from. York has 6 current players in the portal, and another one that left the team months ago. That’s plenty enough underclassmen to spark a closer look, so no need for artistic license in counting them. Kids that had academic issues and left when they got their grades in, or fancied himself an O middie but slotted in early as a D middie, or weren’t actively participating in fall team routines, etc, aren’t connected in anyway to a broader scheme with anyone leaving now post season.

There is a name that goes with each of those above scenarios, and known info about every departure. But I don’t think it’s appropriate to publicly pick apart the decisions of kids that are currently looking for new homes.

Lacrosse was clearly a large part of the decision for these youths to attend York. Financial, Academic, Geographic, et al factors also play in. When you struggle for playing time, when you don’t have the team success you anticipated, when you don’t get the role you wanted, these can all be tough pills to swallow. Surrounded 24/7 by other young people feeling those same pressures can compound them.

This isn’t the “who done it mystery” some of you want it to be.
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:07 pm Yea. Very odd selection of schools to try to compare to. Frankly not even close on any metric, from cost to acceptance rate. It’s almost as if those schools were purposely picked because of their perceived “low attrition rates.” :roll:
I picked those schools because they are similarly remote and had relatively successful 2023 seasons. To quote a very serious poster, "This isn’t the “who done it mystery” some of you want it to be."

How about this: drop the NESCAC and ODAC schools and leave SLU and Union, add Ursinus, Muhlenberg and RPI. All reasonably similar to York when it comes to selectivity. Are there a bunch of kids from these schools in the portal? I don't know ... if there are, then this is mountains out of molehills.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”