Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Idontknowtherules

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Idontknowtherules »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:39 pm Ring chasing is certainly one of the possible reasons behind a transfer, but only one. Each kid and every situation is different, so speculation is just that.
Cuse could use her next year
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Brownlax wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:49 pm I have a question. How do kids go so quickly from entering the portal to going to a new team so quickly - how do they actually transfer academically? How are they getting admissions to accept these kids so quickly?
Players can enter with a 'do not contact' designation. This means they have an idea of what school they want to go to. Academics I'm not sure, probably depends on the school and the program.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Yes, coaches are the only ones with access so anyone proving info has a coach letting them in on the news. With that said:

1. Four Maryland girls are in it, yikes...
2. Chepnik is getting hosed with $ at Clemson and is pissed. Her being removed from current website is because of her departing, she will be on the 2023 roster when you look back from future years - but don't be fooled, Kwolek dictated to have her taken off).
3. Humphries are an interesting story, don't sleep on Ashley leaving Stanford.
4. LoPinto wants more, as do a lot of players, to compete for NCAA title. Cuse is not an option for her though.
Idontknowtherules

intheknow247 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:24 pm Yes, coaches are the only ones with access so anyone proving info has a coach letting them in on the news. With that said:

2. Chepnik is getting hosed with $ at Clemson and is ticked. Her being removed from current website is because of her departing, she will be on the 2023 roster when you look back from future years - but don't be fooled, Kwolek dictated to have her taken off).
4. LoPinto wants more, as do a lot of players, to compete for NCAA title. Cuse is not an option for her though.
And why is that not an option She’s better than half the players there
Old Bay addict

Post by Old Bay addict »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:50 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:24 pm Yes, coaches are the only ones with access so anyone proving info has a coach letting them in on the news. With that said:

2. Chepnik is getting hosed with $ at Clemson and is ticked. Her being removed from current website is because of her departing, she will be on the 2023 roster when you look back from future years - but don't be fooled, Kwolek dictated to have her taken off).
Rumor has it she’s leaving to be closer to home and she is a Long Island girl, so Syracuse makes some sense
Old Bay addict

Post by Old Bay addict »

jff97 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:02 pm Here's a list of players IL knows that have entered the portal so far...
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/61592
Biggest names on the list are Ball and LoPinto. Nicole Humphrey also in the portal, so it looks like one poster's dream of having all Humphrey sisters play on the same team probably isn't happening.
[/quote

Humphrey heaving is not surprising
Last edited by Old Bay addict on Sun May 28, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
washedup

Post by washedup »

Who are the four MD players?
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

1. Heard a couple big time players!

2. This one doesn’t smell right to me. Scholarships are 4 year agreements with each year drawn out. All Power 5’s agreed in 2015 that you can’t reduce or cut scholarship for athletic reasons. Only can be voided/reduced for off field issues. This is at least what was told to us in club. Quick google search, shows that as correct. My guess is there is more to this story.

3. I keep hearing there is going to be out of UNC. If you see the amount of young talent earning starting roles this year, you have to wonder if some of the older players (who won a ring already) look for more time.

4. Rumor is somewhere in Baltimore is where she wants to be.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:53 pm

1. Heard a couple big time players!

2. This one doesn’t smell right to me. Scholarships are 4 year agreements with each year drawn out. All Power 5’s agreed in 2015 that you can’t reduce or cut scholarship for athletic reasons. Only can be voided/reduced for off field issues. This is at least what was told to us in club. Quick google search, shows that as correct. My guess is there is more to this story.

3. I keep hearing there is going to be out of UNC. If you see the amount of young talent earning starting roles this year, you have to wonder if some of the older players (who won a ring already) look for more time.

4. Rumor is somewhere in Baltimore is where she wants to be.
1. Demma Hall for one…

2. Correct, and the agreement had less money after year 1, Chepnik though feels she proved herself, wants more, period.

3. Younger Humphrey headed to UNC next year, all 3 perhaps in one spot.

4. Correct.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:50 pm

Doesn’t like culture at Cuse.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

1. Also heard that a pretty highly regarded freshmen was in the the portal as well!

2. This is what I meant by there had to be more to the story. Student-athlete signs an NLI agreement for 4 years. She has a good freshmen campaign. Asks for a “raise”, which based on her presence in the portal, she didn’t get enough of a raise or any raise at all. This situation will absolutely become more common in the future especially with a 12 scholarship limit in Wlax and the one time exception for transferring.

After reaching out to a few former colleagues of mine, sounds like Kwolek is in the middle of a pretty aggressive treatment plan for breast cancer. They all think it’s the above scenario and nothing more nefarious than that.

3. Got nothing more on this…

4. This is the one that is the by far the craziest to me. If she goes where it is rumored, it puts that staff in even higher regards for me. Would be an absolute upset! Think if a college basketball player left Arizona to go to Gonzaga.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:53 am 1. Also heard that a pretty highly regarded freshmen was in the the portal as well!

2. This is what I meant by there had to be more to the story. Student-athlete signs an NLI agreement for 4 years. She has a good freshmen campaign. Asks for a “raise”, which based on her presence in the portal, she didn’t get enough of a raise or any raise at all. This situation will absolutely become more common in the future especially with a 12 scholarship limit in Wlax and the one time exception for transferring.

After reaching out to a few former colleagues of mine, sounds like Kwolek is in the middle of a pretty aggressive treatment plan for breast cancer. They all think it’s the above scenario and nothing more nefarious than that.

4. This is the one that is the by far the craziest to me. If she goes where it is rumored, it puts that staff in even higher regards for me. Would be an absolute upset! Think if a college basketball player left Arizona to go to Gonzaga.
4.? Loyola? My guess would have been Stoney Brook.
Idontknowtherules

tothedraw wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:35 am
PhanLax99 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:53 am 1. Also heard that a pretty highly regarded freshmen was in the the portal as well!

4.? Loyola? My guess would have been Stoney Brook.
She has a close friend at Loyola taking her fifth year
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:53 pm 2. This one doesn’t smell right to me. Scholarships are 4 year agreements with each year drawn out. All Power 5’s agreed in 2015 that you can’t reduce or cut scholarship for athletic reasons. Only can be voided/reduced for off field issues. This is at least what was told to us in club. Quick google search, shows that as correct. My guess is there is more to this story.
I am pretty sure that your club coach is wrong. Power 5 "agreements" typically have to do with football. D1 sports like football, basketball, volleyball, etc. are full ride scholarships and are completely different than partial scholarships for other D1 sports.

The official NLI website continues to say that NLIs are for one year - renewable each year at the discretion of the institution.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
Idontknowtherules

@inthe8m wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:31 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:53 pm 2. This one doesn’t smell right to me. Scholarships are 4 year agreements with each year drawn out. All Power 5’s agreed in 2015 that you can’t reduce or cut scholarship for athletic reasons. Only can be voided/reduced for off field issues. This is at least what was told to us in club. Quick google search, shows that as correct. My guess is there is more to this story.
I am pretty sure that your club coach is wrong. Power 5 "agreements" typically have to do with football. D1 sports like football, basketball, volleyball, etc. are full ride scholarships and are completely different than partial scholarships for other D1 sports.

The official NLI website continues to say that NLIs are for one year - renewable each year at the discretion of the institution.
correct Money isn’t guaranteed after the initial offer They can go up They can go down They can be zero
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Since this game is running clock, I’ve decided to look into this.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90008

I mean looking at the NCAA manual, 15.5 area shows that the Power 5 can not reduce or eliminate aid unless it hits a strict criteria. The club coach is correct in this case.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:22 pm Since this game is running clock, I’ve decided to look into this.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90008

I mean looking at the NCAA manual, 15.5 area shows that the Power 5 can not reduce or eliminate aid unless it hits a strict criteria. The club coach is correct in this case.
NIL isn’t aid. Talking apples and oranges.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

NIL is the layout of the aid. Power 5’s has to present the 4 year plan. Our club director showed us the difference between two. Again- just giving a different opinion. Not trying to hijack the thread haha!
Idontknowtherules

PhanLax99 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:32 pm NIL is the layout of the aid. Power 5’s has to present the 4 year plan. Our club director showed us the difference between two. Again- just giving a different opinion. Not trying to hijack the thread haha!
This is incorrect My
Daughter played in the acc it was year by year
njbill

Post by njbill »

A little bit of a different subject, but I have been wondering about this with the respect to the transfers of grad students. Obviously, this is a unique situation which will be going away in a year or two.

High school players when committing to colleges get academic preference plus academic and athletic scholarships handed out by the coaches.

Do these grad transfers also get academic preference in getting into grad school? Many grad schools are quite difficult to get into so I would think it would be a huge help to use your lacrosse to get into a grad school of your choice. Also, how does the money work? I assume the athletic aid comes out of the 12, but what about the academic aid? Do the coaches have grad school academic aid they can hand out?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”