Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by jff97 »

NULax2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:12 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:33 pm There are no big names in NW's 2023 class. On paper, their 24 commits are a much stronger class. Remember though, KAH prefers athletes over tested lax players so often players will take a year or two to mature.

That said, NW has some outstanding players on their bench who didn't play much this year who I would expect to breakout.

Most notably,

- Carli Fleischer, one of the biggest recruits NW has had in recent years. I expect her to take the Rhatigan role and score at least 20-25 goals if not more
- Megan Mallgreave, outstanding defender, who play spot roles this year, especially on man-down. Expect her to easily slide into Berkley's role.

I've also heard about a top notch grad transfer who should help immediately. won't post name yet, since I don't want to be the one breaking news if it isn't official.
With KAH, I've learned to disregard the magazine rankings. She finds plenty of superstars that go unranked or not as highly regarded. Isabelle Rae Scane, not even in IL's 2019 top 100 or Madison Taylor in IL's 2022 Watch list (50-100).
Scane was the #27 recruit in her recruiting class. Probably not as high as she should've been, but she came in a midfielder and switched to attack when she got to Evanston.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... inglist/7
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

jff97 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:13 pm
With KAH, I've learned to disregard the magazine rankings. She finds plenty of superstars that go unranked or not as highly regarded. Isabelle Rae Scane, not even in IL's 2019 top 100 or Madison Taylor in IL's 2022 Watch list (50-100).
Scane was the #27 recruit in her recruiting class. Probably not as high as she should've been, but she came in a midfielder and switched to attack when she got to Evanston.
apologies, I was looking at the 2019 list. I guess that why I couldn't find her.
Still #27 to Tewaaraton is not bad. :)

Is that why she wears #27? I never realized that. :D
jff97

Post by jff97 »

NULax2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:27 pm
jff97 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:13 pm
apologies, I was looking at the 2019 list. I guess that why I couldn't find her.
Still #27 to Tewaaraton is not bad. :)

Is that why she wears #27? I never realized that. :D
I have no idea. I"m sure if she wanted that information we would've heard about it already. Nothing TV broadcasts love more than a story about a star believing they were "snubbed" and motivating them to new heights.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:02 pm Probably is better suited for the HS board but there’s much less traffic there..

Did they retire the HLA award? I didn’t see any announcements for finalists or a winner from this past weekend.
That’s a great question . D won it one year!

In other news our fav (lol) troll is alive and well on Twitter . He no longer posts on here thank God but it’s funny - he will bring up comments directly mentioned here on Fanlax and tweet about them . He’s like a stealth observer …of this forum now . Of course he had a dust up with another fellow “tweeter” he’s nothing if not opinionated.
Congratulations to your daughter!! That's a huge accomplishment! I still haven't seen any winners or finalists announced for this year so I'm very curious to know what's going on there.

And hmmmm I see exactly what you mean :lol:

Someone posted on the forum about a top notch grad transfer heading to NU Sunday at 2:33pm and he tweeted word for word about a "top notch grad transfer" heading to NU later that day at 5:47pm lol

Post on the forum about Meghan Ball to ACC Sunday at 12:47pm and another confirming it at 7:43pm - a tweet "Meghan Ball to the ACC? hmmm" comes along the same day at 8:47pm

Post on the forum about BC being the only instagram account Ball follows on instagram besides Rutgers Monday June 5th at 10:56pm - tweet with the same info follows early the next morning at 6:45AM

Would be nice if some fans of the game that are on twitter were directed to the forum.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am In other news our fav (lol) troll is alive and well on Twitter .
Must be a slowass day if you consider this news. :roll:
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am He no longer posts on here thank God
For a group who are supposedly so glad to be rid of me, you sure bring me up often enough. Five months gone and you’re still talking about me while sneakily keeping current with my tweets. Nothing says you miss me quite like it. ;)
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am but it’s funny - he will bring up comments directly mentioned here on Fanlax and tweet about them .
You mean like how you bring up happenings/comments directly mentioned on my Twitter account and post about them here on fanlax?
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am He’s like a stealth observer …of this forum now .
Like you’re a stealth observer …of my Twitter account now?
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am Of course he had a dust up with another fellow “tweeter”
Whoopdy-frickin-do. Even the most ingratiating and genteel among you have dust ups. Go back and look up Tact’s/DMac’s dust up over Belle Smith’s 7th goal against Loyola in the quarters last year.

Leaving this muckraking cesspool of snotty, condescending, hypocritical finger-wagging nana's was the best thing I ever did.

Good riddance.

DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:39 pm

Leaving this muckraking cesspool of snotty, condescending, hypocritical finger-wagging nana's was the best thing I ever did.

Good riddance.
Sure was, and yes, good riddance.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

DMac wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:05 pm

Good riddance.
Sure was, and yes, good riddance.
LOL 100%^^^ and look how quickly he came on here "guns-a-blazin"
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am In other news our fav (lol) troll is alive and well on Twitter .
For a group who are supposedly so glad to be rid of me, you sure bring me up often enough. Five months gone and you’re still talking about me while sneakily keeping current with my tweets. Nothing says you miss me quite like it. ;)
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am but it’s funny - he will bring up comments directly mentioned here on Fanlax and tweet about them .
You mean like how you bring up happenings/comments directly mentioned on my Twitter account and post about them here on fanlax?
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am He’s like a stealth observer …of this forum now .
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:25 am Of course he had a dust up with another fellow “tweeter”
Whoopdy-frickin-do. Even the most ingratiating and genteel among you have dust ups. Go back and look up Tact’s/DMac’s dust up over Belle Smith’s 7th goal against Loyola in the quarters last year.

Good riddance.

In this moment I have to agree with ONW. I’m not a fan of his posts, but he should be allowed to read the forum without posting. He’s using another outlet (albeit I’m not a fan of what he posts), but he has freedom of speech and was not commenting on this forum.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

user1020 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:16 pm

Good riddance.

In this moment I have to agree with ONW. I’m not a fan of his posts, but he should be allowed to read the forum without posting. He’s using another outlet (albeit I’m not a fan of what he posts), but he has freedom of speech and was not commenting on this forum.
He's absolutely allowed to read the forum. I don't have a problem with that. I do think it's a little odd and insincere to appear to pass other people's posts off as one's own intel or to be vague about the source when asked ("passing on a rumor I heard from a typically reliable source") instead of directing them to the forum where they could just get the information first hand and even participate if they wanted to, but that's JMO.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Fair points. I agree
DMac

Post by DMac »

Was there ever a question that he'd be lurking and taking little tid-bits to his new playground?
Never was for me.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:32 am Was there ever a question that he'd be lurking and taking little tid-bits to his new playground?
Never was for me.
And someone had to go and Beetlejuice him. It was a peaceful 5 months...
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:33 pm There are no big names in NW's 2023 class. On paper, their 24 commits are a much stronger class. Remember though, KAH prefers athletes over tested lax players so often players will take a year or two to mature.

That said, NW has some outstanding players on their bench who didn't play much this year who I would expect to breakout.

Most notably,

- Carli Fleischer, one of the biggest recruits NW has had in recent years. I expect her to take the Rhatigan role and score at least 20-25 goals if not more
- Megan Mallgreave, outstanding defender, who play spot roles this year, especially on man-down. Expect her to easily slide into Berkley's role.

I've also heard about a top notch grad transfer who should help immediately. won't post name yet, since I don't want to be the one breaking news if it isn't official.
Agreed. Also in her own words KAH likes "great athletes with a chip on her shoulder".

I believe in either her 2020 or 2019 recruiting class, 3 of her 9 recruits had never touched a stick before summer after 8th grade.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

One thing i've come to realize is that it seems like when it comes to broadcasting, alot of the commentators for D2 and D3 schools seem more knowledgeable and enthusiastic about lacrosse compared to D1 schools. These schools are smaller and have limited budgets and their broadcast production and quality isn't the best as expected but alot of their game broadcasters offer really engaging and enthusiastic commentary. i was looking at D3 commitments and i randomly stumbled upon an Amherst game broadcast and the commentator for that school was really good.

There have been some truly dreadful commentary and analysis in alot of D1 games. That hurts the game in my opinion. I get it, Sheehan Stanwick Burch and Dana Boyle can't be on every game but the bar is really low.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I do play X play and color analysis for field hockey and lacrosse. DI-DIII. The DII and DIII games usually get local people who know the program, the league, and the sport, including the rules. Like me, they typically do this as a hobby or they are students, hoping to build their experience and resume. The DI programs typically hire professional broadcasters affiliated with the athletic dept who may or may not have any background in lacrosse, not to mention women's lacrosse. While it is painful to watch sometimes, I remain grateful I can see the games.

Check out Dan Fritz at UPenn. A bit of a homer, but he is a great broadcaster and has taken the time to learn about women's lacrosse.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:44 pm One thing i've come to realize is that it seems like when it comes to broadcasting, alot of the commentators for D2 and D3 schools seem more knowledgeable and enthusiastic about lacrosse compared to D1 schools. These schools are smaller and have limited budgets and their broadcast production and quality isn't the best as expected but alot of their game broadcasters offer really engaging and enthusiastic commentary. i was looking at D3 commitments and i randomly stumbled upon an Amherst game broadcast and the commentator for that school was really good.

There have been some truly dreadful commentary and analysis in alot of D1 games. That hurts the game in my opinion. I get it, Sheehan Stanwick Burch and Dana Boyle can't be on every game but the bar is really low.
There are some other great color commentators out there. Crista Samaras is dynamite. Rachael DeCecco is more than okay. Taylor Cummings does a nice job. Sam Croston is top shelf. She only does Vanderbilt home games but Michelle Sebastian is outstanding. I've heard others who do a nice job too. All said--I would trade decent booth partners for stellar camerawork which includes framing the action appropriately, multiple angles and replays with slow motion when warranted. One can always mute a bad announcer but you can't get away from poor camerawork.
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:13 am Check out Dan Fritz at UPenn. A bit of a homer, but he is a great broadcaster and has taken the time to learn about women's lacrosse.
Love Dan Fritz. One of the few who can do both play by play and color commentary. He's also very patient when he has interns/newbies in the booth with him.

Curt Dudley is also a great solo artist, if you will, for the CAA. Wish he did more games.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:14 am
Kleizaster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:44 pm One thing i've come to realize is that it seems like when it comes to broadcasting, alot of the commentators for D2 and D3 schools seem more knowledgeable and enthusiastic about lacrosse compared to D1 schools. These schools are smaller and have limited budgets and their broadcast production and quality isn't the best as expected but alot of their game broadcasters offer really engaging and enthusiastic commentary. i was looking at D3 commitments and i randomly stumbled upon an Amherst game broadcast and the commentator for that school was really good.

There are some other great color commentators out there. Crista Samaras is dynamite. Rachael DeCecco is more than okay. Taylor Cummings does a nice job. Sam Croston is top shelf. She only does Vanderbilt home games but Michelle Sebastian is outstanding. I've heard others who do a nice job too. All said--I would trade decent booth partners for stellar camerawork which includes framing the action appropriately, multiple angles and replays with slow motion when warranted. One can always mute a bad announcer but you can't get away from poor camerawork.
The woman who does the Vanderbilt games in an embarrassment. Painful. An unabashed homer. Who the hell cares about shouting out the names of parents? A joke ... even my husband, who knows little or nothing about women's lax was like "WTH?!?!?" Cannot hit MUTE fast enough.
OuttaNowhereWregget

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:51 am The woman who does the Vanderbilt games in an embarrassment. Painful. An unabashed homer. Who the hell cares about shouting out the names of parents? A joke ... even my husband, who knows little or nothing about women's lax was like "WTH?!?!?" Cannot hit MUTE fast enough.
Interesting. More evidence of different strokes for different folks. I'll watch a game that she calls just to listen to her colorful euphemisms and clear play by play. Vandy usually has very decent broadcast production quality too. One game last season she described a player on a very swift end to end clear as "bookin' it". Love when announcers let their personalities come through during the call of a game.

I hope you have a great season coming up. Of course, now I'm intrigued as to who you are but I more than understand your anonymity here. Hope you get some great women's lacrosse games to call in 2024.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Curt Dudley, the Voice of JMU!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”