Military readiness

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Military readiness

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:06 pm Damned shame.....9 soldiers killed in Army helicopter training crash in Kentucky

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tw ... -rcna77350

Sure seems like a lot of Black Hawk Accidents. :cry:
Blame it on trans people.
SecDef Austin & Gen Milley are investigating. ...not the Blackhawk midair collision, er...the other thing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:06 pm Damned shame.....9 soldiers killed in Army helicopter training crash in Kentucky

... ah, you saw Tucker Carlson's piece at the time. ;)
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:23 pm

Now, now. Your team likes to beat up on, and scare, and marginalize vulnerable people. Cuz religion sometimes. Who's the DB?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:12 pm

SecDef Austin & Gen Milley are investigating. ...not the Blackhawk midair collision, er...the other thing.
Too woke.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:26 pm

Too woke.
I don't know about that. They did not seem pleased with what they learned.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:43 pm

Too woke.
🤷 meh
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:19 pm

Too woke.
🤷 meh
Does this impact Ru Paul's USO tour ?
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:19 pm

Too woke.
🤷 meh
Does this impact Ru Paul's USO tour ?
Buffalo Bill filling in for him.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I guess this is where to post this. The US Army is going full bore changing the names of posts named after Confederate icons. Ft Benning played a big role in my life. I earned my jump wings there. The renaming of this post hits home to me. A part of me will always know it as Ft Benning. I'm just as proud it was renamed after Gen. Hal Moore. From this day on I earned my wings at Ft Moore. :D

I'm not that enamored at the new name for my second home Ft Bragg. Very lame attempt by the US army. There is only one man worthy of the honor. It SHOULD be Ft Ridgeway. Ft Liberty is just plain stupid. For those of you that don't know...Google Matthew Ridgeway.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Sen tubbyville about to create "acting" commandant of the marine corp; thus taking away all future meaningful power that the senate has over selection process for this position.

Semper party over country...
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Army, Navy, Marines All Without Senate-Confirmed Leaders Thanks to GOP Stunt

Not just the officers (and our military & country) they're screwing, it's their families too. Not sure why this isn't getting more press.

Military spouses demanding Sen. Tuberville stop blocking military nominations
old salt

Post by old salt »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:34 pm Army, Navy, Marines All Without Senate-Confirmed Leaders Thanks to GOP Stunt

Not just the officers (and our military & country) they're screwing, it's their families too. Not sure why this isn't getting more press.

Military spouses demanding Sen. Tuberville stop blocking military nominations
:roll: ...the General's wife is ready to pack her China. ...but it was OK when Patsy Schroeder held up & fly specked promotion lists for hundreds of mid grade Naval Officers to see if they had attended Tailhook. ...interesting times those.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB833735931382865000

Tailhook Forever

The Secretary of Defense has asked the Senate Armed Services Committee to end the so-called Tailhook Certification. It comes as welcome news that Mr. Perry is trying to put an end to a process that requires that the names of all naval officers up for promotion be flagged if they were among those present at the 1991 Tailhook convention.

Nearly five years have passed since the Tailhook affair--years in which the Navy has pursued countless investigations of everyone accused of having had any connection, however remote, with that infamous event. Normally five years would be considered quite long enough for any investigation, but here the Navy was, of course, dealing with the politically sacrosanct matter of sexual harassment--an issue notable for its capacity to unhinge the sane, terrorize the strong, and obliterate concerns for the norms of reason and common sense.

There can't be any doubt that that convention in Las Vegas saw some appalling behavior on the part of a number of Navy men--and also women. It didn't help matters when legitimate complaints raised were initially met by a wall of silence by those involved, who applied or misapplied the group loyalty that had served their legion so well under imprisonment in the Hanoi Hilton. The pilots's orgy had roots in a time and place, now forever past. There is no reason to believe it will ever be repeated, and faltering morale and high resignation rates among Naval aviators are a real source of concern. The Navy exists for the important purpose of defending the nation, and its aviators are the first to be sent into danger.

And for all the clear sins and errors, there also can't be any doubt that the Tailhook episode was soon converted into what it remains today, namely a political weapon and vehicle for absurdity. Investigations have rolled on relentlessly. Huffing and puffing, the little inquisition that could has by now succeeded in destroying numerous careers and reputations.

There can be no doubt that we can count Tailhook among the professional and personal pressures that helped undo Admiral Jeremy Boorda. Admiral Boorda bore the weight of many burdens, among them, finally, the question of his medals raised by Newsweek correspondent Colonel David H. Hackworth. (On this subject, Senator John McCain, who was in the Hanoi Hilton, observes, "I'm glad that Colonel Hackworth has led such a perfect life, free of error. I haven't, myself, been privileged to be so lucky.") The triggering medal issue came, as we noted, on top of a speech delivered at the Naval Academy in April in which former Navy Secretary James Webb excoriated those now in command who had allowed some of the finest careers in the Navy to be destroyed by hearsay and allegations.

The prime engine of destruction--namely the obsession with Tailhook--so far has shown no signs of slowing down. A week ago Sunday Representative Pat Schroeder appeared on ABC's "This Week" to explain that the Navy had a unique culture, difficult "to crack." On the Brinkley show she argued, with some fervor, that Navy men suspected of misbehavior at Tailhook must--even to this day--be brought forth to answer charges. Representative Schroeder, a devoted combatant in the war against sex harassment, has not as yet been heard from on notable cases of harassment outside the military--for instance, the Paula Jones case. It would be interesting to know whether she would like "to crack" the culture that now holds sway at the White House.

Representative Schroeder, unhappily, is not alone. Members of the Senate Armed Services Committee that will be considering Secretary Perry's request that Tailhook flagging cease have also been intent on blocking the promotion of Commander Robert Stumpf, despite the fact that the much-decorated flyer had been cleared by the Navy's own investigative board. This hard core is led by Senators Daniel R. Coates, (R., Indiana) and Kay Bailey Hutchison (R., Texas). The Committee's ranking Democrat, Sam Nunn, also a staunch opponent of Commanders Stumpf's promotion, isn't expected to be receptive to the notion of burying the flagging procedure either. Senator John Warner (R., Virginia), a former Navy Secretary currently embroiled in a hot primary race, has decided to support Commander Stumpf when his promotion comes up again, but ending the Tailhook flagging is, the Senator explains, quite another matter.

Entrenched resistance notwithstanding, Senator McCain (leader of the unsuccessful battle for Commander Stumpf's promotion) is optimistic about the chances that Tailhook certification will end. The Secretary of Defense, too, is hopeful, as he informed us a week ago. Mr. Perry's office, it appears, has in fact twice before (in April and October of 1995) asked the Senate Armed Services Committee to end the flagging requirement, and set Tailhook aside, at last. With luck, he may finally succeed this time. Then again--political zealotry being what it is--he may not.

One way or another, the members of the Committee can be certain that their answer will be of no small interest to that significant quarter of America that still takes national defense seriously, and still knows the difference between reason and nonsense, and between morality and charlatanism.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Rep. Schroeder Seeks Peace With the Navy : Military: Colorado Democrat meets with pilots at Miramar Air Station to smooth out their differences over the Tailhook sex scandal.
BY H.G. REZA, FEB. 21, 1993
SAN DIEGO — Rep. Pat Schroeder offered an olive branch Saturday to Navy aviators disciplined last year for attacking her in two vulgar skits and denied charges that she ruined dozens of careers by pressing for an aggressive investigation of the Tailhook sex scandal.
Schroeder, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, explained her position against sexual harassment in the military in two private meetings with 16 officers and enlisted personnel at the Miramar Naval Air Station.

The 10-term Colorado Democrat said she asked for the meeting to end the hostility against her and other women by Navy aviators, who resented her attack on the Navy’s less-than-thorough investigation of the 1991 Tailhook sex scandal.

Some Navy officers had reacted to Schroeder’s criticism of the pilots’ lewd behavior at the 1991 Tailhook Assn. convention in Las Vegas by attacking her in two vulgar skits at the Miramar officers’ club. The skits, performed June 18 as part of the base’s annual Tomcat Follies, included an offensive banner about Schroeder and oral sex.

The banner and skits led to another investigation, which ended with five officers disciplined or stripped of command for their roles in the follies.

Schroeder said at a news conference after the sessions with the officers and enlisted personnel that she requested the meetings because “I thought it was a good time to do a ‘heal Miramar’.” She said she was very encouraged by the meeting, which she characterized as “very interesting and an open dialogue of what’s been transpiring.”

Although she may have offered the Navy pilots an olive branch, Schroeder did not back down from her criticism of the Navy’s investigation of the Tailhook sex scandal and charges that more than 26 women, including 13 Navy officers, were sexually assaulted at the convention.

She expressed satisfaction with the investigation’s fallout and what she called the positive effect it has had on the Navy and the rest of the military.

“The good news is that there’s been a lot of repercussions from it. The repercussions that I think were good is the fact . . . that young men and women in the Navy are now saying there is a lot clearer message today of what they can and cannot do,” Schroeder said.

She said her criticism of the Navy’s investigation of Tailhook stemmed from the public’s perception that Navy officials were not interested in launching a thorough investigation of the charges against the officers.

The service had allowed fighter pilots to develop a mind-set opposite of the “core values of courage, integrity and teamwork” ingrained in every member of the armed forces, Schroeder said. Some critics contended that the Navy routinely ignored incidents of sexual misconduct by fighter pilots.

“For some, it was a feeling those core values were more exclusive (at the expense of women). . . . It was really just a club that was just the elite. . . . We need to make sure they’re living up to those values. That’s why we were so aggressive in this area, specifically Tailhook,” Schroeder said.

“From the outside, it appeared (the Navy was) not dealing internally with this problem. Now it appears that’s finally beginning to come around,” she added.

The Pentagon’s inspector general launched an investigation of the Tailhook sex scandal after Navy officials announced that their inquiry had uncovered incidents of criminal conduct by Navy officers, who could not be identified.

Critics charged that the Navy was whitewashing the investigation and called for a separate Pentagon investigation. The final Pentagon report is expected to be released when a new Navy secretary is named.

The report is expected to recommend criminal charges against about 15 officers and other disciplinary action against dozens more.

Schroeder rejected claims by pilots that her criticism of the Navy has pressured officials to appease Congress by disciplining hundreds of aviators involved in the Tailhook and Tomcat Follies scandals.

“I don’t do the discipline. Those who are saying ‘you’re causing this to happen’ (are) giving me a lot more power than I have or intended to have. The discipline came down through Navy procedures,” she said.

Some officers involved in the Tomcat Follies complained that they should not have been disciplined. They argued that they were exercising their freedom of speech through the skits and used them to express disapproval of Schroeder.

Schroeder said the follies went beyond the issue of freedom of speech and seemed to reinforce the ideas of critics who wondered why the pilots would put on such controversial skits while the Navy was involved in an investigation.
NattyBohChamps04

It's not just the generals affected my man, it goes down the ladder. And we're talking about UNFILLED positions with acting leaders who don't have as much authority to do the jobs they need to do. Leaving us in a more vulnerable situation than we need to be in.

And LMAO you really think Schroeder was personally responsible for holding up hundreds of promotions? Gonna ignore the Republicans on that committee who were all for the flagging? :lol:

On an apples to oranges comparison anyway. They weren't refusing to fill certain specific, needed positions. And man, that was a good bit of sexual assault and harassment that happened. Probably better to ignore it than do a less than perfect job of cleaning it up. Sure it could have been handled a bit better. Most especially on the Navy's side of things.
NattyBohChamps04

It's getting a lot worse. RR's men are screwing the pooch. Our military is being sabotaged by his own. Dem's are weak by not hammering home how much Republicans are hurting the country. This is unprecedented. Sure we'll hear some lame excuse again. Hundreds of appointments now backlogged.

https://apnews.com/article/tuberville-m ... 3823e29acc
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Marines are asking the public for help in recovering a missing F-35 stealth jet in SC. The pilot ejected and landed near Charleston SC. The jet's transponder also malfunctioned near the time of the ejection further complicating recovery efforts

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... lot-ejects

The aircraft, that cost over $140 million apiece apparently don't have a black box beacon that is standard on all commercial aircraft.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:55 am Marines are asking the public for help in recovering a missing F-35 stealth jet in SC. The pilot ejected and landed near Charleston SC. The jet's transponder also malfunctioned near the time of the ejection further complicating recovery efforts

The aircraft, that cost over $140 million apiece apparently don't have a black box beacon that is standard on all commercial aircraft.
Beat me to it.....crazy that the location Service is also down. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/f- ... rcna105534
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:06 pm Hmm. These young people have clearly been spoiled by critical thinking education.

‘While some Republicans blame the COVID-19 vaccine or “wokeness” for the Army's recruiting woes, the military service says the bigger hurdles are more traditional ones: Young people don’t want to die or get injured, deal with the stress of Army life and put their lives on hold.

Seems like a pretty rational position.

They “just don’t see the Army as something that’s relevant,” said Maj. Gen. Alex Fink, head of Army marketing. “They see us as revered, but not relevant, in their lives.”‘

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/wir ... e-97065047
same ole drum beat........

recruiting woes? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: fuffg

and to Maj. Gen Fink.....grow the F up. what makes you think young people revere you?
and, how the largest budget buster, the killing industry, NOT relevant to their lives?

Ukraine Ukraine Ukraine........
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Kismet wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:55 am Marines are asking the public for help in recovering a missing F-35 stealth jet in SC. The pilot ejected and landed near Charleston SC. The jet's transponder also malfunctioned near the time of the ejection further complicating recovery efforts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

such a joke.....the killing industry.

money well spent. Thanks taats.......and Sen. Feinstein, for voting YES to yet another , defense budget increase.

Goes to the recruits.....that IS why they are having problems recruiting....all that budget increase money.

such a joke.......waste of time and money.....especially human piloted aircraft. Just dumb. drones don't need expensive ejection seats either.

but, of course, we believe this story in the first place.

"stealth fighter" :lol: :lol: :lol: who is it fighting against ? .
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

such a joke.....the killing industry.

money well spent. Thanks taats.......and Sen. Feinstein, for voting YES to yet another , defense budget increase.

Goes to the recruits.....that IS why they are having problems recruiting....all that budget increase money.

such a joke.......waste of time and money.....especially human piloted aircraft. Just dumb. drones don't need expensive ejection seats either.

but, of course, we believe this story in the first place.

"stealth fighter" :lol: :lol: :lol: who is it fighting against ? .
Why, the “freedom fighters,” no?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”