Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
Chesedice

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by Chesedice »

Any color from yesterday’s Darien jamboree or NC’s scrimmage vs Nisky?
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Chesedice wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:14 am Any color from yesterday’s Darien jamboree or NC’s scrimmage vs Nisky?
I saw a few of the games at Darien yesterday. The boys looked rusty, balls getting thrown all over the place, a lot of ground ball scrums. To be fair, it was also 40 degrees with a 25mph wind, so not ideal conditions.
Greenwich played several spirited contests, against Glastonbury and Hand. I believe Greenwich "lost" both of those games, but I could be mistaken.
In any case, it seemed as though younger boys were on the field for every team in the second half, sometimes even in the second quarter - so to say that any team came out ahead of the other is really not significant.
Darien does not have imposing size this year, as I have taken note of in prior years at this event. I don't feel like they have an intimidating aura this year as in years past either. However, their offense was very effective in the games I watched, and the poles are skilled: the coaching in that town, at the youth and high school level, must be absolutely amazing because it doesn't seem to matter who is on the field year to year, they are so sound fundamentally.
AOF attack was very effective in the brief time that I saw them. Poles are quick and skilled - I've never seen Tyler Pumper (Fairfield) in person, he's excellent.
Whenever I watch Glastonbury, I am struck by how enthusiastic the kids are - the sideline is "lit" as the kids say, they play with a chip, extremely disciplined and smart. They got after it harder than any team yesterday, and looked very good. They are going to be a tough out this year in the postseason.
Finally, the Hand boys were hitting like it was May, riding hard as always, poles laying wood - they are a rough group, not much fun to be on the field with at all.
Overall, pretty much what you would expect - always a good event, well run and well officiated. Good show Darien.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Does anyone know how Prep's scrimmage against Choate went? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Laxalittle

Post by Laxalittle »

Great game yesterday at Lincoln-Sudbury. New Fairfield came out on top 11-7. 6-5 NF at the half. 6-6 into the fourth. Defense and goaltending were outstanding. Offense was spread out by half a dozen players. This team is very balanced, and if they stay healthy, are going to be very competitive.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Great win for NF! This is their year to prove themself on a bigger stage than CT M, next year will be a big drop off. They have a very tough game vs St. Anthony’s, who is very good this year even by their standards, which may not be the closest but otherwise they certainly can run the table.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Great start certainly for NF against an always-tough LS team. NF came out of the blocks hot, going up something like 5-1, and then held on for a great W both for Marty's crew and for the state of CT.

That was a great warm-up for their battle this thursday vs St As. Will be curious to see if their vaunted defense can manage O'Neil (not sure ANYONE in the state of CT other than maybe(?) Chris Fake could shut him down, but keeping him from just scoring at will is a win).

Marty definitely has stepped up the schedule a bit this spring, but still should be pretty clear sailing after this Thursday until the last week of the regular season vs Glasto and Staples (not sure the Wreckers have the horses to run with NF this year, but with the GREAT addition of Coach K on North Ave, they could potentially surprise some people this year).
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Nice to see New Fairfield’s win over LS, but Not sure that it was much of an upset. Over in the MA forum, they mentioned over a month ago that LS suffered some key graduation losses and that they lacked the talent/depth to reload and contend this season. Heard someone say that four of NF’s goals were scored by poles.

After hearing how Glastonbury performed this past weekend, NF shouldn’t have any issues in that matchup.

Staples reportedly held their own in a preseason matchup vs New Canaan, then posted an OT win over Germantown Academy (PA) over the weekend. Will have to keep an eye out to see how the team develops under their new coach. Still think that NF will have the edge in the matchup.

NF vs St. Anthony’s is a different story. As teams try to shut down O’Neill, Bonomi becomes a threat. The Friars dismantled Delbarton 13-4 over the weeekend.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Agree there has been much talk of this potentially being a rebuilding year for LS, but there's lots of similar talk about Darien this year too...in my book a win over one of the top programs in Mass is still a big step for NF....much as it would be for St Seb/BCH/Dux to come down and beat Darien this yr.

I heard a similar feedback about Prep/Glasto last weekend, but i wouldnt count Glasto completely out yet, as they looked competitive two weeks ago at the oval. Maybe more of a positive indication for Prep than a negative for G?

Any feedback on the Delbarton/Darien scrimmage a few weeks ago? Had to leave early so didnt get to see that game, and would be interested especially given the StAs - Delbarton score from this week.
random observer

Post by random observer »

New Canaan loses 8-7 to Summit down in NJ to start the season. On the road, and always tough to start the year against that nasty Summit zone defense, but disappointed in the Rams. They returned a lot from last year's team, and this year's Summit squad has some younger players seeing the field -- glass half full, hoping the Hilltoppers will turn out to be stronger than people predicted in the preseason (as has often been the case in the past, to be fair).
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Obviously you want to win the first game, but I wouldn't read too much into that loss. The Summit zone is typically a tough nut to crack, especially early in the season when an offense is just finding itself. And I heard Summit was extremely deliberate in offense in order to limit possessions (think last year's Ridgefield/Darien game slow). Ugly way to play lacrosse in my opinion but Summit has been playing that way for years. A shot clock at the high school level would be a good thing if schools could figure out the logistics and (most importantly) could have knowledgeable people running that clock.
Jerseylaxfan

Post by Jerseylaxfan »

NC seemed to really struggle with the Summit zone D, as many other teams have in the past. Tough to face a good zone in your first game.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Tough first game vs a zone, followed by a matchup against St.Anthony’s. Later in the season they’ll face AOF, Brunswick, Prep and Darien. Have to give Buzzeo credit for playing a challenging schedule.
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

End of 1Q: St Anthony’s 9 New Fairfield 2
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Half: St.Anthony’s 15 New Fairfield 5
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

End of 3Q: St. Anthony’s leads New Fairfield 19-7
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Chesedice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 pm End of 3Q: St. Anthony’s leads New Fairfield 19-7
That should do it for “New Fairfield is the best team in the state.”

Not a chance Darien gets worked like that. Also Brunswick and Salisbury would handle St Anthony pretty easily.
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

That’s all she wrote. St. Anthony’s 21 New Fairfield 11
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm
Chesedice wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 pm End of 3Q: St. Anthony’s leads New Fairfield 19-7

Not a chance Darien gets worked like that. Also Brunswick and Salisbury would handle St Anthony pretty easily.
Not sure who ever said NF was the best team in CT and no, Wick and Salisbury would not handle St. A pretty easily.
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

After trailing 1-4 at halftime, Wilton falls to John Jay, 6-7 in OT.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:55 pm
PrimeTime21 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Not sure who ever said NF was the best team in CT and no, Wick and Salisbury would not handle St. A pretty easily.
Yes. Wick and Bury would destroy St A’s.

I’ll do you one better. Wick and Bury both have better lefty scorers than O’Neill on their rosters. Yes, wick and bury would destroy St A’s. Wick doesn’t lose faceoffs, they have 4 D1 poles and they have 6-7 D1 middies. Salisbury has about the same but maybe even more offensive firepower. CSHAA won’t let Chaminade and St A’s play the real best competition in the region. But don’t get it twisted. Wick and Bury would run those guys off the field

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”