Yardwork

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Yardwork

Post by DMac »

Austin must've been driving by just as you were about to drop out of the ladder and he figured he'd send you a letter. ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:40 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:03 pm I’d certainly get a quote from them....if for no other reason to gain a bit of education on the subject.
Oh yeah still haven’t gotten returned calls from three I dropped voicemails on last evening. Not mad but I was taught a 24hr turnaround rule early in my business world. If not my boss at CS would throw chairs and smash phones into pieces. This guy has the benefit of the doubt by simply taking advantage of being nearby for other work and having the good sense to spend an hour going door to door for me.
Oh I totally agree, I'm the same way. I even hate seeing unread emails in my inbox. Crazy times FFG, construction industry is slammed...if you are not busy, you are not not very good. Not tot mention, most places are struggling to keep staffing regularly.
Could be transitory, a smart person would keep their foot on the gas. Will have to see what this guy has to say and, more importantly to me, how he says it.

Personally I have to ramp back up here but may scrap the business I started with my partner last year, who's 20yrs older than I, and take a gig but have this one deal I need to see through and now maybe a second engagement of note (size, $ and profile) so totally in flux but busy and rebuilding what I "blew" away the last year or so between cash outflows and shutting down for a few months. He can handle some of the time and material credit service work we have existing contracts on for Q4 - Q1 22 if I bounce.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:41 pm Austin must've been driving by just as you were about to drop out of the ladder and he figured he'd send you a letter. ;)
Ladder? for the one over the power lines I climbed it and wedged in to work on it. Wasnt worried about the "table" skill saw, gave up on the chainsaw from your suggestion prior, but that height into pavers would've sucked worse than getting hit by Ronnie Lott.

Ladder is for the ones in the pics for back of house (and getting on my shed roof to take off some branches hanging over that).

And I did say I am always an amateur, not just in this.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:41 pm Austin must've been driving by just as you were about to drop out of the ladder and he figured he'd send you a letter. ;)
Wish I'd get a letter like that.

Have a neighbor that owns a giant pin oak that hangs over our house. Had it trimmed once a few years ago, and it needs it again. Dropping dead limbs all over the yard and new roof.
She's had 5 of her other trees taken down lately. Just not the one that hangs precariously over my house.
Gonna get an estimate to get it trimmed again and offer to put my cost towards her having it taken down. We shall see. MY guess is she wont do it. Probably gonna run over 5k to have it taken down
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:11 pm
Wish I'd get a letter like that.

Have a neighbor that owns a giant pin oak that hangs over our house. Had it trimmed once a few years ago, and it needs it again. Dropping dead limbs all over the yard and new roof.
She's had 5 of her other trees taken down lately. Just not the one that hangs precariously over my house.
Gonna get an estimate to get it trimmed again and offer to put my cost towards her having it taken down. We shall see. MY guess is she wont do it. Probably gonna run over 5k to have it taken down
Yeah just cleanup on the back they (others a number of months) wanted like $3k and thats just limbs and whatnot, trees not actually taken down. Maybe the professional liability insurance is what drives it, along w demand I suppose, but seemed like a lot. When someone is asking a few grand for a service and it doesn’t come w a reacharound then I usually instinctively want to do it myself. My dad couldn’t do much that was his mentality-kinda like Cheap Pete: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OcNXMPnHfwM

(BTW I made a bootleg square from overs and bricks I have in my shed and underneath the deck and am burning the limbs and natural debris in my driveway between my house and my neighbor. Figured there’d be a laugh at my amateurism with that nugget but the city sucks on yard waste removal and a junkyard I went to wanted $150 for a decent sized oil drum so I said “f it I’ll build something with extra materials I have at my crib to protect the fire.”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 am Atta boy, as I always say, when you're personally involved it's different ballgame. Aint listening to jack til you damn near fall and your a*hole puckers up a little bit, then you hear what people are telling you. Too funny.
A table saw? You must mean skill saw, no? You conceding to that amateur part yet? :lol:

You should play around at this place and see if you can figure it out, or have someone show you how to use it. You can take pictures on your phone, send them to your email, then upload them to Imgur, then you can copy and post them. If I learned how to do it, ANYBODY can....and it was probably better when I didn't know how to do it. I need to see pictures of this tree and what your dealing with.
https://imgur.com/
Trying embedding here - the one hanging over the power lines is one of the two I went up after dinner last night.

First one is in my front yard, haven't taken any from the back yet for you. Second one is neighbor to immediate right/south of me. Both of these are representative of all over my hood.

This is southbound on my street and my 15yr old deaf and blind (pretty sure or close) Lhasa Apso - funny thing is my block is pretty liberal in general but that yellow flag is the one old couple and that's one of those snake tread on my s**t flags. Everybody is a live and let live, we have block parties every thursday and relaxed nice area. They don't come out much I wish they did, don't want them to feel like they aren't welcome, everyone else would be totally cool to them.

The house that the Oak took down about a block and a half away looks like this this morning...

Was chatting w neighbor who has tree in second pic above if scrolling vertical top down (normally). Other side of their house bounds ours.

They asked about removal of that single huge one. How much you ask? $15k
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Goodness gracious....I was thinking it would be more like 3-5k for a days work.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:20 am Goodness gracious....I was thinking it would be more like 3-5k for a days work.
Yeah it’s crazy down here. That’s what going from 1mm to 6.5mm in the MSA type population growth in 15-20yrs will get you. Shortage of every service, public or private. The myth of cheaper living in atlanta vs my prior stops in NYC or DC is just that, a myth. And it’s likely to lead to a faster spike to peak for the city and then decline. Same as all these unconstrained horizontally newer fast growth cities in the SE, TX and SW.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:45 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:20 am Goodness gracious....I was thinking it would be more like 3-5k for a days work.
Yeah it’s crazy down here. That’s what going from 1mm to 6.5mm in the MSA type population growth in 15-20yrs will get you. Shortage of every service, public or private. The myth of cheaper living in atlanta vs my prior stops in NYC or DC is just that, a myth. And it’s likely to lead to a faster spike to peak for the city and then decline. Same as all these unconstrained horizontally newer fast growth cities in the SE, TX and SW.
This is why I hate neighbors who say, "I love trees!"
Because the same people who love trees rarely like yardwork, raking leaves, or taking down trees that have become dangerous.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:03 pm
Because the same people who love trees rarely like yardwork, raking leaves, or taking down trees that have become dangerous.
We got people in the end of the block who put frigging corn stalks in the “landing strip” between sidewalk and street. Rich hippies, most get it, some think their standing water pool in back creates a shangri la while I’m getting chewed up like in a bad zombie vampire movie
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:31 pm
We got people in the end of the block who put frigging corn stalks in the “landing strip” between sidewalk and street. Rich hippies, most get it, some think their standing water pool in back creates a shangri la while I’m getting chewed up like in a bad zombie vampire movie
The skeeters down south can pick you up and carry you away. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:05 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:31 pm
The skeeters down south can pick you up and carry you away. :lol:
It’s awful. I’d rather sweat it out with a long underwear top on then scratch my upper body down to the bone..
DMac

Post by DMac »

I very much doubt that having trees like those dropped in a residential area is much, if any, cheaper here than it is down there. While I find having to pay that kind of money to have one dropped as painful as you guys do, I'm not at all surprised by the prices. There's an awful lot of liability involved there and it's just flat out hard and dangerous work, and you damn sure better have the right equipment to do the job....which aint cheap. Now you've got find someone nuts enough to go up there and do it. I'm not the only one here who has watched this operation, right? There's a lot involved there, ropes, knots, how and where the branches (and they're big) are going to drop, then of course the tree. Awful lot going on there and plenty of room for something to go wrong. Not only that, you've got one huge mess with branches on the ground which are a monstrous pain in the asz to clean up. My son and I have dropped a couple of trees for friends who wanted them out of their yard (son uses the firewood). One was a piece cake, plenty of room, nothing to worry about, but the clean up is a huge pain. The other a house and garage were close enough to cause concern but we were confident enough that we had it read right and could drop it safely and we did. As mentioned we've dropped probably 100+ trees in the woods where it doesn't matter where they go, but you do learn a lot about how to drop them where you want them to go....but there aint no guarantees with that. I have indeed had a couple go the exact opposite way I thought they were going to go, some of them will just flat out fool you. Those prices don't surprise me at all, them tree boys aint cheap.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:02 am I very much doubt that having trees like those dropped in a residential area is much, if any, cheaper here than it is down there. While I find having to pay that kind of money to have one dropped as painful as you guys do, I'm not at all surprised by the prices. There's an awful lot of liability involved there and it's just flat out hard and dangerous work, and you damn sure better have the right equipment to do the job....which aint cheap. Now you've got find someone nuts enough to go up there and do it. I'm not the only one here who has watched this operation, right? There's a lot involved there, ropes, knots, how and where the branches (and they're big) are going to drop, then of course the tree. Awful lot going on there and plenty of room for something to go wrong. Not only that, you've got one huge mess with branches on the ground which are a monstrous pain in the asz to clean up. My son and I have dropped a couple of trees for friends who wanted them out of their yard (son uses the firewood). One was a piece cake, plenty of room, nothing to worry about, but the clean up is a huge pain. The other a house and garage were close enough to cause concern but we were confident enough that we had it read right and could drop it safely and we did. As mentioned we've dropped probably 100+ trees in the woods where it doesn't matter where they go, but you do learn a lot about how to drop them where you want them to go....but there aint no guarantees with that. I have indeed had a couple go the exact opposite way I thought they were going to go, some of them will just flat out fool you. Those prices don't surprise me at all, them tree boys aint cheap.
I appreciate it but as established I am crazy enough to go up. And already noted the biz liability part. I don’t mind paying when I get value received or look in other peoples pockets. But like everyone not named Bezoszuckernutsmiskgates have to pick and choose where I go bootstrap the service or product or pay a professional.

This entire conversation is great and helpful for me. Hope it can turn into a broader topic for everyone to play with.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:09 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:02 am I very much doubt that having trees like those dropped in a residential area is much, if any, cheaper here than it is down there. While I find having to pay that kind of money to have one dropped as painful as you guys do, I'm not at all surprised by the prices. There's an awful lot of liability involved there and it's just flat out hard and dangerous work, and you damn sure better have the right equipment to do the job....which aint cheap. Now you've got find someone nuts enough to go up there and do it. I'm not the only one here who has watched this operation, right? There's a lot involved there, ropes, knots, how and where the branches (and they're big) are going to drop, then of course the tree. Awful lot going on there and plenty of room for something to go wrong. Not only that, you've got one huge mess with branches on the ground which are a monstrous pain in the asz to clean up. My son and I have dropped a couple of trees for friends who wanted them out of their yard (son uses the firewood). One was a piece cake, plenty of room, nothing to worry about, but the clean up is a huge pain. The other a house and garage were close enough to cause concern but we were confident enough that we had it read right and could drop it safely and we did. As mentioned we've dropped probably 100+ trees in the woods where it doesn't matter where they go, but you do learn a lot about how to drop them where you want them to go....but there aint no guarantees with that. I have indeed had a couple go the exact opposite way I thought they were going to go, some of them will just flat out fool you. Those prices don't surprise me at all, them tree boys aint cheap.
I appreciate it but as established I am crazy enough to go up. And already noted the biz liability part. I don’t mind paying when I get value received or look in other peoples pockets. But like everyone not named Bezoszuckernutsmiskgates have to pick and choose where I go bootstrap the service or product or pay a professional.

This entire conversation is great and helpful for me. Hope it can turn into a broader topic for everyone to play with.
Had a good friend who I coached with have a tree dropped in his yard last year. He did it with a friend who was a literal professional tree guy. Brought his whole crew out. A limb fell and killed his friend. He was inconsolable.
Unfortunately, I'm sure this is a lot more common than people think. Extremely dangerous work. Even for those who are well trained. So many variables and considerations and things that can go bad.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:26 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:09 pm

Had a good friend who I coached with have a tree dropped in his yard last year. He did it with a friend who was a literal professional tree guy. Brought his whole crew out. A limb fell and killed his friend. He was inconsolable.
Unfortunately, I'm sure this is a lot more common than people think. Extremely dangerous work. Even for those who are well trained. So many variables and considerations and things that can go bad.
Part of a broader initiative on my part to make up for any deferred maintenance on the house and property the last 2-3yrs, before that I just paid anyone for whatever, but it's all a little more painful now as I don't work the same hours and took myself offline for a bit. Part of it is recapturing some grass in portions of front and back - if the trees are dying let's go ahead and get the trees out and get that that clean space back where roots and shade took it away and forced other landscaping to be done and maintained. A small bit of adding simplicity.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I have a lot of that I should do, also.
Thought I would have been better being home the past year, getting more done.
The garage has been the catch all for crap. And the perimeters of the yard been ignored.
Time to bite the bullet here too and start cleaning up.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:46 am I have a lot of that I should do, also.
Thought I would have been better being home the past year, getting more done.
The garage has been the catch all for crap. And the perimeters of the yard been ignored.
Time to bite the bullet here too and start cleaning up.
I'm a dips**t amateur if I can do it you surely can!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Worked on the front monkey grass w the weed whacker today. Good stuff, even edged fairly well.

With respect to the trees, I can appreciate the value add component to the service. However I'm looking for a new venture to check this out:

Drones cutting trees with technology (not jewish space lasers, MTG has patent pending on those unfortunately)

I'll get VC money from these investors - https://news.crunchbase.com/news/theran ... ors-board/

The technology will surely come but my pre-revenue model and business development group will be run by this dude - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/29/us-pros ... fraud.html

I'll need a home, probably pick one up from this guy's leftovers. On the company tab as a necessary expense of course - https://www.wsj.com/articles/wework-fou ... 1570730254

Also start a SPAC as my liquidity event/exit while retaining 20% on the back end and this guy will head up my IR team - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... rizing-you

Being public now I'll need a top flight compliance head to keep the regulators in check - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/01/sec-sai ... r-wsj.html

Boom I've solved the problem of tree cutting while making mo money without using yo money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1XCf9gEu7E
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The house that got crushed by the oak tree a block or two
Off my street:

Please help displaced family of 3 (and therapy kitty)! Family home destroyed due to fallen oak.

The Harrelson family on McClendon Ave is a small family of three and a new little therapy kitty for daughter, Anlyn (19). Mom, Hope, is fairly new to the Atlanta area but was very excited to finally put roots down in a fixer-upper home in the heart of Candler Park, which has great schools for brother, Ari (16), and is near Anlyn’s therapeutic school for kids/adults on the autism spectrum in Decatur; a perfect location, very safe, and with wonderful neighbors!

Improvements on the home were going well, until 7:00 AM on September 21st, when a huge oak tree ripped directly through the home, rendering it completely unlivable. Anlyn was in her bed at that hour, and a branch narrowly missed hitting her.

She was diagnosed with autism due to a stroke at birth, and this displacement has been especially difficult for her. Fortunately, her kitty (Ralph) was also unhurt and provides much comfort. Hope and Ari were in safer parts of the home, and were unhurt during the disaster.

The family has lost 80% of their belongings. Insurance will kick in at some point which will help some, but there are endless expenses piling up. Anything you can give is greatly appreciated and eases the burden the family bears.

The neighbors have been so kind and supportive during this hardship and have asked how they can help, so I’ve set up a go fund me for that purpose.

The family thanks anyone willing to donate from the bottom of their heart!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”