UNC vs BC - Saturday March 6 - 11:00am

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: UNC vs BC - Saturday March 6 - 11:00am

Post by 8meterPA »

Don't confuse best athlete with best lacrosse player.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

💯 %
njbill

Post by njbill »

BTW 8m, I do see that UNC no.13 shows up in the box score with nary a tick to her name.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I haven't noticed that type of thing before (no listing in live stats unless you do something good or bad).

Certainly understand the point that with today's liberal substitution rules, it would be darn tough to keep up with all the ins and outs.

As someone who keeps some stats in most games I attend (though I can't hold a candle to w in the w ;) ), I have IMMENSE respect for the live stats keepers.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I see Ortega scores her sixth with 1:55 to go, with UNC up 20-9. No talk of stat-padding here?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Itsallgood wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:07 pm
Itsallgood wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:56 pm
seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:49 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:45 pm
seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:34 am I think UNC wins by 7 or so, and that it won't feel that close. BC is 3-0, with Albany, USC and UMass under their belts. The jump to UNC is like moving up from AA ball to the Show.

The issue will be the BC defense: still too young and inexperienced. BC has also had a lot of TOs in the last two games, which neither USC nor UMass made them pay for. UNC will not be so kind. To compete, BC needs to win draws and be very, very efficient with their possessions. So... what? UNC 18-10?
I really think UNC has the best defensive/goaltending unit in the entire country. Taylor Moreno has a 5.45 GAA with games against Stony Brook, Florida, and Duke along with High Point and Vanderbilt. Moreno is also saving over 60% of the shots taken. On the contrary, I don't think that Hall from BC has seen shooters like UNC has yet. UNC is loaded with depth. Excited to see what the Heels do on Saturday. Defense wins Championships!
Totally agree. Can BC even be the first team to double digits against Carolina?
I concur as well ,this one has running clock with 15 minutes left. Yellow cards will be quite fashionable as well, I have BC with 5.
Anyone have a tasty recipe for Crow ? Hall outplaying Marino so far and North looks like the most dominant player on the field ( Hoeg and Ortega being face guarded ) It’s only one half but BC playing so much cleaner than any game all year.
Crow?? That’s why game is 60 minutes
Lot of stars out there but North wasn’t one of them today...
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:06 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:00 pm
8meterPA wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:40 pm I'm sure UNC will not take their foot off the gas.
I’d say you nailed that prediction.
Game as expected. BC is much improved and has some nice younger players, but they are 1-2 years away. Can we please stop with the North hype? 3 solo goals on the ame move and shut down in second Also Hall 20ga and 6 saves so far ... hmmmm ...
Thank you! Pretty much shut down CN ...no goals in second half... and Hall over-hyped... feel bad for Abby Gnai I hope she transfers and plays for a team that values her .
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Trust me, lads. Middle-aged white dudes hating on a 22 year old girl who is clearly giving 100% is not a good look.
watcherinthewoods

Can Opener wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 pm Trust me, lads. Middle-aged white dudes hating on a 22 year old girl who is clearly giving 100% is not a good look.
Who says everyone here is a middle-aged white dude? And this is not personal ... should never be ... but legit to comment on performance by athletes.
watcherinthewoods

seacoaster wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 pm I see Ortega scores her sixth with 1:55 to go, with UNC up 20-9. No talk of stat-padding here?
Last time these team met BC eked out a 1 goal win and ended the Tarheels season and ncaa tourney. Levy used her bench today, but these kids (many of whom were on the field back in 2019) had good reason to run it up .
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 pm I see Ortega scores her sixth with 1:55 to go, with UNC up 20-9. No talk of stat-padding here?
Last time these team met BC eked out a 1 goal win and ended the Tarheels season and ncaa tourney. Levy used her bench today, but these kids (many of whom were on the field back in 2019) had good reason to run it up .
Just seeing if we are consistent.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Nope..BC not Umass, and prob a revenge thing against BC beating UNC in NCAA tourney...also prob in response to AW’s comment on UNC Instagram JO 199 goal clip .

njbill

Post by njbill »

Can Opener wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 pm Trust me, lads. Middle-aged white dudes hating on a 22 year old girl who is clearly giving 100% is not a good look.
This subject comes up from time to time. My belief is it's because the glax and wlax worlds are so small. Inevitably, someone knows some player personally (sometimes since they were a little tyke) and as a result doesn't care for criticism leveled at the player. (My bet is can opener has some connection to the player in question.)

Understandable in one respect, but from a broader perspective, these athletes have put themselves out in the public domain. They are high profile players who play on top teams at the top of their sport. Their games are shown on TV or the internet. They are showcased in the national media. They have been given pretty extensive privileges and benefits.

Back on LaxPower, there was an unwritten rule that criticism of high school girls on the forum (except in rare instances) was wrong and should be avoided. But once the players got to college, criticism was OK. Of course it shouldn't be mean-spirited or personal.

To my thinking, there is nothing wrong with saying "player X got dominated or got shut down today" or "player X shouldn't have taken that shot" or "that foul committed by player X should have drawn a yellow" or "goalie Y is really having a bad day." If reasonably based, criticisms such as "player X is a ball hog" or "I don't like player X's post goal celebrations" or that old chestnut "player X is a flopper" are fair game.

And the age or sex of the poster is irrelevant. If a player puts herself out there as a public figure in the world of college (or pro or international) lacrosse, she may get criticized. Comes with the territory. No different than, say, college football players.

To loosely paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, it is the doers who get criticized, not those (the posters) who sit on the sidelines. So if you get criticized, wear it as a badge of honor. You did something that was noticed and was worthy enough to be commented upon.

And one last thing. Maybe listen to the criticism since it just might be right sometimes.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

These athletes have poured thousands of hours into this game, and you're reducing them to "22 year old girls" who are apparently too fragile for criticism? THAT is not a good look.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 pm
This subject comes up from time to time. My belief is it's because the glax and wlax worlds are so small. Inevitably, someone knows some player personally (sometimes since they were a little tyke) and as a result doesn't care for criticism leveled at the player. (My bet is can opener has some connection to the player in question.)

Understandable in one respect, but from a broader perspective, these athletes have put themselves out in the public domain. They are high profile players who play on top teams at the top of their sport. Their games are shown on TV or the internet. They are showcased in the national media. They have been given pretty extensive privileges and benefits.

Back on LaxPower, there was an unwritten rule that criticism of high school girls on the forum (except in rare instances) was wrong and should be avoided. But once the players got to college, criticism was OK. Of course it shouldn't be mean-spirited or personal.

To my thinking, there is nothing wrong with saying "player X got dominated or got shut down today" or "player X shouldn't have taken that shot" or "that foul committed by player X should have drawn a yellow" or "goalie Y is really having a bad day." If reasonably based, criticisms such as "player X is a ball hog" or "I don't like player X's post goal celebrations" or that old chestnut "player X is a flopper" are fair game.

And the age or sex of the poster is irrelevant. If a player puts herself out there as a public figure in the world of college (or pro or international) lacrosse, she may get criticized. Comes with the territory. No different than, say, college football players.

To loosely paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, it is the doers who get criticized, not those (the posters) who sit on the sidelines. So if you get criticized, wear it as a badge of honor. You did something that was noticed and was worthy enough to be commented upon.

And one last thing. Maybe listen to the criticism since it just might be right sometimes.
Very well said, Bill.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:06 pm Can we please stop with the North hype? 3 solo goals on the ame move and shut down in second
What you mean "we" Kemo Sabe? And what is "North hype" and who is doing the hyping here? The only thing I read consistently about Charlotte North on these boards is critical.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:21 pm Lot of stars out there but North wasn’t one of them today...
North was one of the stars for BC however, and by extension, one of the stars of the game. She led BC in goals (3), shots on goal (7) and draw controls (8).
laxrat1976

Post by laxrat1976 »

Charlotte North needs to learn to pass. UNC at points had 4+ players slide to her and all she did was continue to hold on to the ball and dodge.

Until she learns to get assists, she will continue to be the second best player on that team.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxrat1976 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:06 pm Charlotte North needs to learn to pass. UNC at points had 4+ players slide to her and all she did was continue to hold on to the ball and dodge.

Until she learns to get assists, she will continue to be the second best player on that team.
This is a difficulty for a lot of star offensive players. I saw Cassidy Spilis of Rutgers running into the same problem this weekend. North is a spectacular offensive threat. She got that way by being determined, (as have most offensive threats) which can also be a shortcoming, but I think she is learning. She's not stupid--she knows it's better for her team to pass out of a double/triple team to the open teammate than lose the ball on a turnover. But then in hindsight, it's always easy to spot what players ought to do from one's armchair.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:30 pm
Nope..BC not Umass, and prob a revenge thing against BC beating UNC in NCAA tourney...also prob in response to AW’s comment on UNC Instagram JO 199 goal clip .
What did the comment from AW (I'm assuming these are the truncated initials of the BC coach) read on Instagram? Has she since removed it?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:33 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:30 pm
What did the comment from AW (I'm assuming these are the truncated initials of the BC coach) read on Instagram? Has she since removed it?
My D showed me a screenshot...apparently she commented on the JO clip - tagging her own goalie. It wasn't anything she said...it was the fact that the college coach involved herself in a college students insta...its like a no-no I guess. I hear the UNC coaching staff was annoyed and fired up. It def backfired on AW.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”