COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Delco Transplant

Re: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on Women's Lacrosse

Post by Delco Transplant »

livelovelax - Let's keep the commentary here to the impact and potential impact of the coronavirus on women's lacrosse.

Shame on me for starting the thread and believing that it could be used as a forum to keep each other informed on the impact on lacrosse and that it would not devolve into political commentary.
mdlaxfan

Post by mdlaxfan »

The NESCAC conference has cancelled its spring season:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/n ... s-concerns
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

mdlaxfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:29 pm The NESCAC conference has cancelled its spring season:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/n ... s-concerns
Well that really sucks....
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Some ominous signs on the mlax thread about school closings. I’m not optimistic
njbill

Post by njbill »

Delco Transplant wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:22 pm livelovelax - Let's keep the commentary here to the impact and potential impact of the coronavirus on women's lacrosse.
Agreed. There is a very active coronavirus thread on the Politics board which is more appropriate for opinions of this nature.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

It certainly has cast a pall over the rest of the season. It’s anybody’s guess at this point whether we even finish the regular season, let alone make it to the conference championships and The Tournament. If that ends up being the case, I’ll feel really bad for the student athletes, especially the seniors.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Wonder if the NCAA would devise some sort of special red shirt rule for all athletes, not just seniors? Would like to see everyone get their full four years of eligibility.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 pm It certainly has cast a pall over the rest of the season. It’s anybody’s guess at this point whether we even finish the regular season, let alone make it to the conference championships and The Tournament. If that ends up being the case, I’ll feel really bad for the student athletes, especially the seniors.
This week could be last game for a lot of seniors if things progress negatively further. I suspect that will add some competitive juice to the games that are played.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:46 pm Wonder if the NCAA would devise some sort of special red shirt rule for all athletes, not just seniors? Would like to see everyone get their full four years of eligibility.
I think most people expect that to happen.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:46 pm Wonder if the NCAA would devise some sort of special red shirt rule for all athletes, not just seniors? Would like to see everyone get their full four years of eligibility.
Sure, but many of these kids have jobs lined up and many probably aren't likely to be in a position to return to college and pay another 60K. It's not like major D1 football or someplace where they have full scholarships that can be renewed. It really sucks and it's an impossible decision. Personally, i wish they would have maybe suspended games for 2/3 weeks initially to see what occurs.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxfan22 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm It really sucks and it's an impossible decision. Personally, i wish they would have maybe suspended games for 2/3 weeks initially to see what occurs.
As far as I know only some Ivies and a D3 conference have cancelled. Has there been anything from D1 conferences?

I am still hoping that if there are cancellations, that it can be taken one step at a time and not cancel the whole season.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

The issue with the virus is its spread, not its virulence. The mortality rate may be low, but the numbers of infections will make up for it. I am an ardent fan, but I don't really want to watch while there is a Malthusian event going on. Listen in to the folks in Italy. Colleges, companies, event venues, etc., are just trying and being asked to help flatten the spread. Colleges -- especially colleges post-Spring break -- are simply petri dishes. This isn't really a "choice" any of the schools are making.

I am hopeful that schools can play the games.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Livelovelax, keep the politics in the politics forum. I'm moving you post.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:35 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm It really sucks and it's an impossible decision. Personally, i wish they would have maybe suspended games for 2/3 weeks initially to see what occurs.
As far as I know only some Ivies and a D3 conference have cancelled. Has there been anything from D1 conferences?

I am still hoping that if there are cancellations, that it can be taken one step at a time and not cancel the whole season.
https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/3/11/ge ... pring.aspx

Ivy League cancels all spring season athletics. This is getting really bad.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:06 pm

I’ve seen that Dartmouth mlax cancelled a game at UNC and Harvard wlax cancelled an upcoming home game against UNH. Have there been any other Ivy cancellations confirmed?
Badlands...I think I messed that up. I too saw the Men's games and translated that to Women....My bad.

No news is good news? I keep coming to this topic with dread....

Well, Sh*t
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:12 pm

I’ve seen that Dartmouth mlax cancelled a game at UNC and Harvard wlax cancelled an upcoming home game against UNH. Have there been any other Ivy cancellations confirmed?
Badlands...I think I messed that up. I too saw the Men's games and translated that to Women....My bad.

See my last post and let your dread kick in. Mine has.
Bart

Post by Bart »

SUNY, CUNY heading on line after 3/19. I have yet to hear anything about athletics. Most are DIII but what happens at 1 will probably happen at all.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

You can be sure March Madness will continue as scheduled.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Badlands wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:13 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:12 pm

See my last post and let your dread kick in. Mine has.
I dont get why they (Ivy League) couldnt just cancel for a month...I also dont understand why they would cancel all in-person classes for the year. Most schools are taking 2-3 weeks off with the hope of returning to campus. If you can get back to in-person classes, you should be able to play sports....UGH
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

A bunch of schools have cancelled in-person classes for the year and they see having hundreds of athletes on campus and in close contact with each other on a daily basis all spring as inconsistent with sending all other kids home. I guess they feel shutting things down for a month would not be sufficient and that a month from now the whole country would likely be on lock down with a collapsing emergency medical care system the way Italy is.
Last edited by Badlands on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”