NCAA Tournament

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Sunday's Round 2 games

Post by wlaxnut »

All of the games are broadcast, but there is one that is of utmost importance for me--BC vs Colorado. This is the game I'll watch first and watch the other two mentioned below on replay after their conclusion. This will be the first look at BC since their very disappointing loss to North Carolina in the ACC final. They should be able to get past pesky Colorado without too much trouble, but then again, the Buffalo's can be troublesome. If BC hasn't got their goaltending house in order it could be a long day. I'm hoping they have an easy win and build back some of the confidence they had before they started resting players (which I can't help but think contributed to their shaky play vs Syracuse and North Carolina in the ACC tournament).

2nd on the list is my beloved Michigan Wolverines. I think they should handle Denver again (they beat them earlier this season, in Denver to boot) but I thought the Wolverines looked shaky vs Jacksonville. The Dolphins helped Michigan by self destructing in the 2nd half with epidemic unforced and forced turnovers. I don't think Denver will implode during crunch time and could beat Michigan if they play shaky again. If Michigan plays fearless the way they did for most of the regular season, they should win at home. But I picked Denver as a sort of reverse psychology jinx thingie. Go Blue.

Lastly--the Notre Dame/Northwestern game. Two of my favorite teams going at it. The Fighting Irish looking to return the favor of winning on the other teams field. If Notre Dame plays the way they did for most of the regular season, they could pull the upset.

None of the other games really interest me unless there is a major upset--like Stony Brook beating Maryland (I would laugh my head off if that happens), or Florida beating North Carolina (not as far fetched as SBU over UMD) or Georgetown over Syracuse (I wouldn't be totally shocked at this either).
DMac

Re: NCAA Div 1 National Championship Seedings & Sundries

Post by DMac »

Another chilly and rainy day for the girls to play in at the Cuse.
Cloudy, 45 degrees, 60% chance of rain, 12 mph winds for game time.
Mother Nature isn't being very nice on Mother's Day..what a witch (sp).
laxorangebookworm

Re: Sunday's Round 2 games

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:23 am
Lastly--the Notre Dame/Northwestern game. Two of my favorite teams going at it. The Fighting Irish looking to return the favor of winning on the other teams field. If Notre Dame plays the way they did for most of the regular season, they could pull the upset.

...or Florida beating North Carolina (not as far fetched as SBU over UMD) or Georgetown over Syracuse (I wouldn't be totally shocked at this either).

I'll be paying attention to the UND/NU game as well because of next weekend (assuming the Orange win today). Not sure if the Irish will pull off the upset though. Northwestern has been on fire lately, but I I'd also note that the Irish had a solid game against Stanford on Friday night.

I would say that Syracuse probably has a qualitative and depth advantage over Georgetown, not to mention that the Hoyas are coming off of a 2OT win on Friday afternoon/evening. I think the combination should be enough to get SU over the finish line in the 2nd round, provided they don't make too many mistakes. Of course, given that Syracuse has been all over the place with regards to playability (and bear in mind that they haven't played in over two weeks), who knows what could happen? Weather could have an impact too, as DMac said.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:02 am
I would say that Syracuse probably has a qualitative and depth advantage over Georgetown, not to mention that the Hoyas are coming off of a 2OT win on Friday afternoon/evening. I think the combination should be enough to get SU over the finish line in the 2nd round, provided they don't make too many mistakes. Of course, given that Syracuse has been all over the place with regards to playability (and bear in mind that they haven't played in over two weeks), who knows what could happen? Weather could have an impact too, as DMac said.
Cuse wins this one easily....Georgetown has speed and a solid defense, but Cuse has the better median and star players...Bookie - I'm agreeing with what you said more elegantly - "a qualitative and depth advantage"...I had to ask my sophomore what that meant :oops:
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 am Another chilly and rainy day for the girls to play in at the Cuse.
Cloudy, 45 degrees, 60% chance of rain, 12 mph winds for game time.
Mother Nature isn't being very nice on Mother's Day..what a witch (sp).
Yep--unfortunately, most of the games have rain in the forecast--some even thunderstorms (North Carolina and Virginia).

Maryland - Rain, 50's
Newton - Rain, 40's
Princeton - Rain, 40's, wind 15 mph
Michigan - Cloudy, 40's, showers possible
Virginia - Rain, possible thunderstorms, 60's
North Carolina - Rain, possible thunderstorms, 70's
Evanston - Cloudy 40's, wind 11 mph
Last edited by wlaxnut on Sun May 12, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

If there's going to be an upset today, I'm thinking it'll be Hoya Laxa over Orange.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

I would say that Syracuse probably has a qualitative and depth advantage over Georgetown,

...given that Syracuse has been all over the place with regards to playability
“qualitative and depth advantage”

“playability”

What meanest thou by these words?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:18 am If there's going to be an upset today, I'm thinking it'll be Hoya Laxa over Orange.
I wouldn’t be surprised at any upsets today. You just never know.
laxorangebookworm

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:29 am
I would say that Syracuse probably has a qualitative and depth advantage over Georgetown,

...given that Syracuse has been all over the place with regards to playability
“qualitative and depth advantage”

“playability”

What meanest thou by these words?
Syracuse is a better team than Georgetown on paper. They also have a deep bench that will likely wear down the Hoyas.
Playability was not the best term to use (actually, it was terrible), which is why I shouldn't be writing posts a few minutes after I wake up... :oops:
I meant that the Orange have been pretty inconsistent all year from game to game and even half to half (or even within halves at times). You just never know what team is going to show up on any given day. If they don't make a lot of mistakes (like 23 turnovers, 11-19 on clears, lose 22-12 on ground balls like they did against BC) they should win, but the emphasis is on "should." Nothing is guaranteed.
wlaxnut

BC v Colorado

Post by wlaxnut »

BC’s fiercely tenacious ride has been on full display, (especially demonstrated by Sam Apuzzo) causing havoc and turnovers for the Buffaloes throughout the first half. BC gaining confidence like a freight train. Draw controls 17-2! 14-4 at half
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty hard to watch BC and nad not think you're watching the best team out there. Some other mighty good ones out there too but it just seems as if BC's got pretty much everything everywhere. When they turn up the heat their intensity is just incredible. Lady Sam sure did nothing to dissuade the committee from giving her the T Award today, that's for sure. She really is a complete and multi functional machine. Wow.

Am glad I got the windshield wiper option on my computer, otherwise I'd probably have a little difficulty seeing the Cuse Gtown game. A shame Mother Nature is being such a jerk in affecting this game (and plenty of others too) the way she is. Give it a rest, would ya, MN.
Cuse up by 3 at the half, still really anyone's game here. We'll see if Cuse's depth and Gtown's last game comes into play here.
You're doing a wonderful job, Ashtyn, nice description of play without the hyperbole and criticisms you get from Team QuAC....oh and you know what's going on out there too.

Man, Goldstock brought her bricks and mortar with her today and built a wall in front of the cage with it, what a great game she played.
Lot of good players on the field but I really like what Carney brings to the team, mighty talented and hard nosed player.
Oh, and Downunda delivers the game as if she has a smile on her face, just does a super nice job.
Cuse 14-8, final.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:44 pm nice description of play without the hyperbole and criticisms you get from Team QuAC
Hmmm...I'm intrigued. Of whom are you referring?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Quint, Anish, and Carc on the men's side....beyond obnoxious.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:59 pm Quint, Anish, and Carc on the men's side....beyond obnoxious.
I see
wlaxnut

A few sundries

Post by wlaxnut »

Boston College sure looked good. They completely dominated Colorado. Once they got going, they were a freight train. Good to see them playing like #1 again. Apuzzo was on fire—both on the ride and on offense.

Stony Brook came out against Maryland like gangbusters but left like meek little lambs.

Northwestern impressive yet again. Lasota looks like she’s on a mission, with her young protégé Izzy Scane right by her side.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

an all but guaranteed quality Final Four.
wlaxnut

Goal Scoring Leaders after yesterday's games - a list*

Post by wlaxnut »

Goals

Ronbeck - 89 (final)
Apuzzo - 85
Parrella - 85 (final)
Kennedy - 84 (final)
Lasota - 79
J. Ortega - 73

* only those still active who are either close or could threaten Apuzzo
wlaxnut

What do you think so far?

Post by wlaxnut »

So – we’ve seen a few games and we’ve gotten through a couple of rounds. What are your impressions? Do you have a team you feel confident will win it all or is it still too early to tell?

For me—I was very encouraged by how BC played yesterday. They looked like that dominant team again, in spite of all their forced passes and turnovers and occasionally sloppy play. Sam Apuzzo looked her dominant self again, deft and talented in the offensive zone scoring 7 times (while being [HA!] faceguarded), and an absolute angry hornet on the ride/re-defend causing 5 turnovers. Kenzie Kent was insane – dealing out 5 assists and scoring 4. Abbey Ngai looked good in net although she didn’t get much work. If they play like this the rest of the way, they will win it all. But, that is still a big if.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We watch the film and have a pretty good idea how the story is going to end and then question whther there'll be a twist or turn and... We knew how the story was going to end. (Though we don't know the exact ending.) We knew it'd be UMD with SU or N'western (SU is better but N'western beat UMD) challenging them in the semis and BC on the other side being challenged by UNC. And it moves from there... That was the right story, it'll be the story, and I'm 100% OK with it because it's a good story.

For what it's worth, I think and hope that UMD and BC are in the final and... whoever wins, wins. That'll be the best story for D1 Women Lacrosse and, arguably, the best story in all lacrosse this spring.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

‪Great article about the Princeton Tigers in particular, and a few intriguing insights into lacrosse in general. ‬

http://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/201 ... -quarters/

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”