NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
choochooCharlie

Re: NESCAC

Post by choochooCharlie »

Asgot wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:59 am
NJIT - US News and World Report ranking is #76.
All different rankings exist. This is one from WSJ, that’s all.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:15 am
BallHunt wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 am
Dadof3 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:23 pm Tufts will be SO interesting to watch this year. Lost 3 generational attack who combined for 359 points! 2 stud mids return but the highest scoring returning att had 27. Will be amazing if they can get 1/2 the production from last years att. And just as important is replacing the 71% fogo who took 356 draws!
Perhaps the 3/6 matchup with CNU, after the first game with Conn College, will provide the the best glimpse into just how reloaded the Jumbo's are this season. Not overlooking the Camels, but CNU being a top 2 program will provide a real test. Maybe Medford will have some Lynchburg weather for the game.
CNU will be ready for that game too, as expected. Those boys love lacrosse and come into games fired up. Tufts will need to be ready out the gate. What are we thinking on the o/u?
44? I hope that game is just one continuous fast break.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:10 am
Dadof3 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:23 pm Tufts will be SO interesting to watch this year. Lost 3 generational attack who combined for 359 points! 2 stud mids return but the highest scoring returning att had 27. Will be amazing if they can get 1/2 the production from last years att. And just as important is replacing the 71% fogo who took 356 draws!
Perhaps the 3/6 matchup with CNU, after the first game with Conn College, will provide the the best glimpse into just how reloaded the Jumbo's are this season. Not overlooking the Camels, but CNU being a top 2 program will provide a real test. Maybe Medford will have some Lynchburg weather for the game.
CNU will be ready for that game too, as expected. Those boys love lacrosse and come into games fired up. Tufts will need to be ready out the gate. What are we thinking on the o/u?
All depends on the weather. If it’s 40 and sunny I’d set O/U at about 32.5 with a one goal game going either way. If it’s below freezing temps and windy I am not sure how the southern boys will be able to handle those temps. Don’t think we’d see a Lynchburg esque performance but I’d expect scoring to be in the low 20’s with Tufts winning by 4-5 goals.
HighBouncersGo

Post by HighBouncersGo »

BallHunt wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:56 pm First games predictions anyone?

Bates vs Emerson
Williams vs Babson
Trinity vs Bowdoin
Conn College vs Tufts
Wesleyan vs Colby
Hamilton vs Bates (3rd game)
Amherst vs Middlebury
Bates by 3, bobcats hunting the lions
Williams by 1, this games a pick 'em though, can go either way
Bowdoin by 4, don't think this one will be as close as people are thinking, its still winter for the polar bears
Tufts by 6, staying strong on my conn short
Wesleyan by 3, Dixon gonna put on a shooting clinic for the kids
Hamilton by 4, Jayme Wilde goal +150 (profit boosted on FanDuel prop bet of the week)
Midd by 3, will be a barn burner (ferda) but panthers got the depth
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:06 am
Agreed, you can always seem to find a college ranking that suits your needs, not much different than political polls. Again, much like political polls, you need to look at the methodology. In regard to this WSJ poll, the weight was on a very limited number of factors, the most important being the cost of attendance vs. graduate salary, which is obviously more favorable to NJIT $18,512 in-state/$34,972 out as compared to most of the NESCACS. If you look at another poll from the WSJ/Higher Education, which broadens the factors considered, NJIT places 177. I know that I am not helping the cause, but we really need to move on from this NJIT obsession.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

BigMoose9 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:14 am
All depends on the weather. If it’s 40 and sunny I’d set O/U at about 32.5 with a one goal game going either way. If it’s below freezing temps and windy I am not sure how the southern boys will be able to handle those temps. Don’t think we’d see a Lynchburg esque performance but I’d expect scoring to be in the low 20’s with Tufts winning by 4-5 goals.
I dont think CNU will be affected by the weather, they are going to go into that game foaming at the mouth. Thompson will have those guys ready, just like their battle with RIT last year.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:33 am
Agreed, you can always seem to find a college ranking that suits your needs, not much different than political polls. Again, much like political polls, you need to look at the methodology. In regard to this WSJ poll, the weight was on a very limited number of factors, the most important being the cost of attendance vs. graduate salary, which is obviously more favorable to NJIT $18,512 in-state/$34,972 out as compared to most of the NESCACS. If you look at another poll from the WSJ/Higher Education, which broadens the factors considered, NJIT places 177. I know that I am not helping the cause, but we really need to move on from this NJIT obsession.
Ugh.
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Amherst
UPenn
Columbia
Georgetown
….
Are these schools there because they’re all so cheap? Don’t make no sense…
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:53 am
I dont think CNU will be affected by the weather, they are going to go into that game foaming at the mouth. Thompson will have those guys ready, just like their battle with RIT last year.
I feel like we've seen this one before...

Upgren, Bailey & Co. leave - then it's Murphy, Shanks, Connelly, etc.
They leave - and its Bredahl, Adams, Boyden, etc.
Yes I know I'm missing a TON of names here...

They've proven more than once, against strong competition, that the next guys up are ready.
But there's always a chance they won't be.

If they come out strong v. Conn and it is off to the races - CNU will be in for it.
If the transition is noticeable v. Conn - then CNU has a better chance winning at Bello
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

SaltCounty wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:46 pm

They've proven more than once, against strong competition, that the next guys up are ready.

If they come out strong v. Conn and it is off to the races - CNU will be in for it.
If the transition is noticeable v. Conn - then CNU has a better chance winning at Bello
Captains are loaded to the gills man. The 5th years aren't hired guns either, which I think makes a difference these days. Bos reloaded, but like you said, some roles probably need solidifying given the turnover. Cold weather, warm weather, on Mars...I think this game is going to be an early season firefight.

EDIT: Really wish this was one that geographically I could take in live and in person.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

choochooCharlie wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 pm
Ugh.
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Amherst
UPenn
Columbia
Georgetown
….
You’re absolutely right, but don’t expect an answer, because at some point you get to a place where no semantics, or word smithing will make 2+2 not = 4. Maybe they’ll try to find out where you work to really teach you a lesson. :roll:

If you get it, no explanation is needed. If you don’t no explanation will do. There is a special kind of arrogance in the circles following some of these schools. “We’re the best because we have historically been the best. We were the best because we play the best, which is almost always exclusively US, the best.”

Times are a changing. Keep hoping, denying and dismissing anything to the contrary. #RollNJIT.
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

You've have been at this for some time. What's the purpose? Actually think you're going to change minds with these kind of posts or just no activity in the CLC/Salisbury threads and like messing with NESCAC fans?
hanskrttt

Post by hanskrttt »

Panthers on top, no one else matters
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:01 pm

Captains are loaded to the gills man. The 5th years aren't hired guns either, which I think makes a difference these days. Bos reloaded, but like you said, some roles probably need solidifying given the turnover. Cold weather, warm weather, on Mars...I think this game is going to be an early season firefight.

EDIT: Really wish this was one that geographically I could take in live and in person.
I think there's a very good chance Tufts loses this game by a few goals. Seems pretty unrealistic to assume, with all of the turnover, that the Jumbos will win or keep it close. I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. Home field advantage will probably be pretty meaningful given the time of year, as the average temp is probably 10+ degrees warmer in VA.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

JumboFan4 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:01 pm

I think there's a very good chance Tufts loses this game by a few goals. Seems pretty unrealistic to assume, with all of the turnover, that the Jumbos will win or keep it close. I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. Home field advantage will probably be pretty meaningful given the time of year, as the average temp is probably 10+ degrees warmer in VA.
I think tufts takes it, but if they come in thinking it will be like Lynchburg, it can be a long day for them. Although I am confident they will not be taking a team like CNU lightly. Could be a preview of an NCAA tournament game.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:07 pm
Ugh.
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Amherst
UPenn
Columbia
Georgetown
….
You’re absolutely right, but don’t expect an answer, because at some point you get to a place where no semantics, or word smithing will make 2+2 not = 4. Maybe they’ll try to find out where you work to really teach you a lesson. :roll:

If you get it, no explanation is needed. If you don’t no explanation will do. There is a special kind of arrogance in the circles following some of these schools. “We’re the best because we have historically been the best. We were the best because we play the best, which is almost always exclusively US, the best.”

Times are a changing. Keep hoping, denying and dismissing anything to the contrary. #RollNJIT.
Yes, you are talking the top universities in the country that likely produce the highest earners in the country, so the differential between cost of attendance and earnings is muted because of the high earnings. A school with significantly lower cost of attendance achieves its ranking by having that lower upfront cost.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Hopefully the video feed is better than last year's Jumbos/Hornets game, 😂 The video crew could not cope with the sideways rain/sleet/snow.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:39 pm
Ugh.
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Amherst
UPenn
Columbia
Georgetown
….

Yes, you are talking the top universities in the country that likely produce the highest earners in the country, so the differential between cost of attendance and earnings is muted because of the high earnings. A school with significantly lower cost of attendance achieves its ranking by having that lower upfront cost.
Right… come on, you can do it … you’re so close, just one more step-
“And therefore the other NESCACs not listed have a worse grad income relative to cost than _ _ _ _.”
I’d like to solve the puzzle Pat. N J I T.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:52 pm
Ugh.
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Amherst
UPenn
Columbia
Georgetown
….

“And therefore the other NESCACs not listed have a worse grad income relative to cost than _ _ _ _.”
That's exactly right, their ratio is not as good, but that alone does not make a school better or worse. This is the problem with rankings based upon limited metrics. NJIT is a very good engineering school that comes with a great public school price tag (top value school on Niche), but is also the 90th ranked engineering school in the country according, to US News, and 100th on Niche. I am sorry that the facts are inconvenient, but if we are going to rely on rankings, lets rely on the rankings (plural), not just the ones that are convenient.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Ugh.
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Amherst
UPenn
Columbia
Georgetown
….

Yep...
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:27 pm
Ugh.
Princeton
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Amherst
UPenn
Columbia
Georgetown
….

Yep...

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”