University of Maryland Terrapins

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: University of Maryland Terrapins

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:59 am
aubartolomei wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:36 pm https://static.umterps.com/custompages/ ... fhlax.html

Here. You can donate some of your hard earned money to fix it. Maybe they'd even name the endline after you.
The greatest women's lacrosse program in history--passing the hat. More embarrassment.
https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/athle ... house.html

https://give.bc.edu/support-your-sport-2022/?a=5112940

Almost every athletic facility is funded heavily by donors. Villanova basketball’s new Finneran Pavilion was entirely donor funded & Clemson football’s tricked out facility was also largely funded by donors ($35.5 million out of $55 million). They’re both revenue sports that were coming off of national titles. NU’s Ryan Field house and Martin Stadium were also given hefty donations. How is this embarrassing for Maryland?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I’m sure what you say is true. I’m using hyperbole to further underscore the point that having to dig a ball out of a fence should be embarrassing to the program.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:01 am I’m sure what you say is true. I’m using hyperbole to further underscore the point that having to dig a ball out of a fence should be embarrassing to the program.
Gotcha, I didn't catch the hyperbole. Yeah, I don't understand why at the very least they couldn't have "ball people" at the corners to roll an extra ball to a player if one gets stuck.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:32 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:01 am I’m sure what you say is true. I’m using hyperbole to further underscore the point that having to dig a ball out of a fence should be embarrassing to the program.
Gotcha, I didn't catch the hyperbole. Yeah, I don't understand why at the very least they couldn't have "ball people" at the corners to roll an extra ball to a player if one gets stuck.
That’s a good idea. Anything’s better than what they’re doing now.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Same reason Fenway has a short left field and a giant wall.

Quirky traditional field surrounded by woods and steeped in unprecedented championship volume is the pinnacle of sport cathedrals.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:03 pm Same reason Fenway has a short left field and a giant wall.

Quirky traditional field surrounded by woods and steeped in unprecedented championship volume is the pinnacle of sport cathedrals.
That’s all well and good (albeit off topic). But when this keeps happening...

it’s time to renovate the cathedral.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Nah!!

Just get a kid that idolizes lacrosse royalty to yank them out between periods. Old Bay can pay the kid to wear an Old Bay t-shirt.

That’s much cooler than renovating a cathedral.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Delightful post goal celebration by sophomore attacker Victoria Hensh. Women’s lacrosse is great fun. You can see it in moments like this.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cb5OJiYrJ0 ... =copy_link
OuttaNowhereWregget

Ugh! I can’t imagine how crushing and devastating this must be for her. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

https://twitter.com/marylandwlax/status ... 49349?s=21
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Big loss for Maryland but she will continue as a captain and I’m sure will have some coaching responsibilities on the bench. She has a great attitude and I’m sure she’ll push through her recovery.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:54 am Ugh! I can’t imagine how crushing and devastating this must be for her. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Very tough; really for bad for her. Nice note to the school and her teammates.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:41 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:54 am Ugh! I can’t imagine how crushing and devastating this must be for her. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Very tough; really feel bad for her. Nice note to the school and her teammates.
Poignant—especially where she acknowledges the injury is career ending.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Oh man, I hate this stuff. Feel so badly for her. I know that there is a high level of awareness regarding prevention programs for ACL tears, but this seems to be nearly an epidemic. I am not sure what the right answer is, but it seems that the sport should be placing even more focus on this somehow. There has to be more that can be done.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:44 pm Oh man, I hate this stuff. Feel so badly for her. I know that there is a high level of awareness regarding prevention programs for ACL tears, but this seems to be nearly an epidemic. I am not sure what the right answer is, but it seems that the sport should be placing even more focus on this somehow. There has to be more that can be done.
I’ve heard that ACL injuries occur more often on artificial turf than natural grass. Anyone else hear that? If so, that’s one thing that could be done.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I think you are right on about turf. It seems that you can plant your foot a certain way and it is too unforgiving unlike grass.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:33 pm I think you are right on about turf. It seems that you can plant your foot a certain way and it is too unforgiving unlike grass.
The sad part is fiscal considerations over player welfare. We all know it costs less money to maintain artificial turf than it does grass. It would take quite a big crowbar to move programs away from artificial turf and back to grass, even though player health and safety would be the rewards for doing so.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Sad commentary when a major focus in the agriculture dept is golf course management… at least it was many years ago when I was there.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:41 am
Maryland75 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:33 pm I think you are right on about turf. It seems that you can plant your foot a certain way and it is too unforgiving unlike grass.
The sad part is fiscal considerations over player welfare. We all know it costs less money to maintain artificial turf than it does grass. It would take quite a big crowbar to move programs away from artificial turf and back to grass, even though player health and safety would be the rewards for doing so.
It's more of a regional thing. If you go south of MD most the lacrosse fields are grass. From MD north they are mostly turf. When the season starts in February it's tough to play on grass in the northeast. Schools rely on the ability to plow turf fields to play which isn't really possible with grass fields.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

With the season starting in Winter/Early Spring, probably only the schools south of Mason/Dixon could grow a good surface. Even so, if the school has men/women sharing the stadium/field, the turf gets pretty torn up before growing season.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:55 am
With the season starting in Winter/Early Spring, probably only the schools south of Mason/Dixon could grow a good surface. Even so, if the school has men/women sharing the stadium/field, the turf gets pretty torn up before growing season.
Plus the weather in the northeast and mid Atlantic early in the season can still mean the use of an indoor facility, if you have access to one, is necessary even if you have a grass field. And those are also turf

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”